Decades Draft Tournament : EDogen vs Brwned

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm not a huge fan of Rio on the left CB role, have no recollection of him ever playing there. As with the Netto discussion, he would be fine defensively but undermined in possession. Undermining a ball-playing CB by wrong-footing him is really odd.
Strange. It didn't do anything of the sort when he was moved there.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/vidic-and-rio.343846/

Why is Camacho on the right? I thought it was just a mistake in the formation graphic but then Brwned talked about Brehme and Dzajic doubling up...
Brehme's on the left, Camacho's performing a man-marking job as mentioned in the OP. As the setup has changed dramatically Camacho's now moved on to Rivelino. Rivelino is already somewhat marginalised wide left and is bemused at his misuse by the manager but he still poses enough of a threat to warrant special attention. Marzolini is once again given the task of providing the bulk of the width on the left with Rivelino struggling to break free of his man.

You need only watch the Dzajic v Camacho video to see that he had no problem starting from the right hand side when up against a tough marker and with Rivelino naturally drifting inside it'll be more akin to his man-marking job on Rummenigge in the '85 Uefa Cup semis that played a big part in their progression to the final.

EDogen

Going into the late parts of the game, can Ronaldo grab a late winner against defenders who are starting to get tired?

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I'm not a huge fan of Rio on the left CB role, have no recollection of him ever playing there. As with the Netto discussion, he would be fine defensively but undermined in possession. Undermining a ball-playing CB by wrong-footing him is really odd.
Yep he totally ignored that part while picking Bergomi! Don't think people voting detect that either, as seen in my post. :lol:
Iv seen him play there on a few occasions and it never seemed to be a problem, he and Vidic swapped willingly iirc.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Going into the late parts of the game, can Ronaldo grab a late winner against defenders who are starting to get tired?
You've mentioned him ver little. I was gobsmacked scanning through this yesterday and seeing how much was about your fullbacks, etc. and how completely ignored Ronaldo was. You have almost been as good as playing Sammy Eto'o for large portions of this game.

Iv seen him play there on a few occasions and it never seemed to be a problem, he and Vidic swapped willingly iirc.
Vidic has done it with Evans IIRC and there shouldn't be an issue as he is right-footed to begin with (and he does much of his work on the ball with his head! ;)).

Rio instead is a wrong-footed ball-playing defender and I really have no idea if he ever took that left CB role. Not that I'm aware of.

Edit: just seen the link.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Rio instead is a wrong-footed ball-playing defender and I really have no idea if he ever took that left CB role. Not that I'm aware of.

Season before last Vidic and Rio swapped positions. There was a bit of discussion on here about it. The right back changed a lot, and Vidic was in the team more than Rio so it meant more stability on that side. It didn't affect Rio's performances at all.

antohan

Season before last Vidic and Rio swapped positions. There was a bit of discussion on here about it. The right back changed a lot, and Vidic was in the team more than Rio so it meant more stability on that side. It didn't affect Rio's performances at all.
Yeah, just read it. No one actually knew why though, the last theory was it was about pace to cover Evra. It shouldn't affect his defending at all, it's more what he does on the ball, particularly under pressure.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I don't think it makes much difference at all, never have really.

antohan

I don't think it makes much difference at all, never have really.
:confused: Wasn't it a big deal with Netto? Don't know how one-footed he was, but imagine it were Valencia levels, then I'd rather play Thuram at LB than left CB.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It makes far more difference for a fullback than a centre back.

Centre backs don't play on the flanks, they are still in the centre of the pitch so being marginally further right of left doesn't mean a big deal IMO.

Do you feel the same about centre mids? Could Keano not play on the left side of centre mid?

antohan

It makes far more difference for a fullback than a centre back.

Centre backs don't play on the flanks, they are still in the centre of the pitch so being marginally further right of left doesn't mean a big deal IMO.

Do you feel the same about centre mids? Could Keano not play on the left side of centre mid?
My issue is that ultimately the box is the danger zone and you can't give grief in possession to your CBs. Look at Welbeck trying to be too clever on Saturday...

Of course, a fullback's attacking play is more affected than a CBs, but it is the instant after recovery which worries here. Unless you are comfortable on your left, in order to pass/clear you will work the ball onto the stronger (right) foot. That is, you are working the ball onto the most dangerous area of the pitch: the penalty spot. There's no room for mistakes, even a minor one and someone may get a free shot at your goal.

Just like CBs will try shepherd attackers towards the flanks and away from goal, when they recover possession they should be getting the ball away from goal. A right-footed left CB is a disaster waiting to happen unless he is comfortable on both feet and familiar enough with that issue that it won't affect his composure. If you are not used to it every time you are on the ball you are cursing yourself in the back of your mind "what the feck am I doing, this is NOT where I want the ball to be!!!!!".

Of course, you will see right footers on the left side of a CB pair and those who have done it regularly you can safely assume will present no problem. It's when you have never seen one playing there that you worry, big time.

antohan

It looks like this one is slipping away.. final minutes now.
You only have yourself to blame here mate. Have you stopped to think what the dirt on your players is all about? It has kept discussions on Gilmar, Sivori, Marzolini, etc. and away from the following:

You have Maldini-Costacurta as your CB pair, which is stronger and proven, differently from Ferdinand-Bergomi.

You have Falcao-Tardelli as your central pair, which is stronger than Edwards-Yaya.

You have Ronaldo, the ultimate goalscorer and vote winner.

You are basically letting Dzajic be the most important player on the pitch when you have Roberto Rivelino, who should be pulling your strings through the middle and choosing which flank to overload if needed.

It's manic. You've been brwned!

antohan

Only leading by two now, I just voted. EDogen has made a pig's ear of this. He gave Brwned a headstart early on (largely "no width" arguments), but I can't see him conceding early on with Busquets in there as well, just not particularly good going forward.

I preferred Joya to Sívori on the left largely down to wanting to have a different type of player to Garrincha out there. A more direct, penetrative, winger who would know full well his role in assisting Eusebio. I would have loved to have him otherwise. EDogen has managed to make him look like Stewart Downing :annoyed:

I do know those players will perform though, regardless.

antohan

BTW, while EDogen posted a good goal compilation, I don't think that shows why people would compare Sívori and Maradona. The clip below revolves around a few moves and repeats them several times over, but you would never get tired of watching it. It also makes it clearer what he could be doing out on the left/inside left and with more protection from refs. The kicks he gets at times are fecking brutal. Proper catenaccio :eek:

Fergus' son

You've mentioned him ver little. I was gobsmacked scanning through this yesterday and seeing how much was about your fullbacks, etc. and how completely ignored Ronaldo was. You have almost been as good as playing Sammy Eto'o for large portions of this game.

Vidic has done it with Evans IIRC and there shouldn't be an issue as he is right-footed to begin with (and he does much of his work on the ball with his head! ;)).

Edit: just seen the link.
Vidic playing on the left when he's right footed and the two switching for no apparent reason a while back suggests to me that it isn't much of a problem, certainly not as much as a full back playing on the wrong side (or a side he's never played on).

Fergus' son

I went for brwned by the way, seeing Busquets in the initial line up looked so wrong and it was completely the wrong decision to go with a diamond when you have Thuram as your RB and a LB that you haven't really elaborated on...

I felt sorry for brwned when he hastily picked Toure but lucky for him he has Edwards who can make it work and his team makes far more sense to me, Hugo Sanchez paired with those wingers looks like one of the clearest routes to goal from any of the teams in the draft for me.

antohan

Vidic playing on the left when he's right footed and the two switching for no apparent reason a while back suggests to me that it isn't much of a problem, certainly not as much as a full back playing on the wrong side (or a side he's never played on).
Lots of CBs play on the left despite being right-footed of course. They will be familiar with the issue and be competent enough for it not to be an issue for them. Imagine Vidic was as right-footed as Valencia though. That would certainly be an issue.

I'm not saying right-footers can't play at LCB (many also play leftback!), what I'm saying is a right-footer who hasn't played on the left has a huge question mark hanging over his head in that regard. The only recollection I have of Rio on the left is from that period, but it's actually from the 6-1, after Evans was sent off. He was useless, but then, everyone was that day and we were asking for trouble the way we went about things.

antohan

I went for brwned by the way, seeing Busquets in the initial line up looked so wrong and it was completely the wrong decision to go with a diamond when you have Thuram as your RB and a LB that you haven't really elaborated on...
Agree, major brainfart that has cost him the game. That said, playing 20-30 minutes of the game that way wouldn't mean the rival team runs up a goal tally, just that you are a bit toothless. I can see why many just went against the blunder straight off the bat though.

Fergus' son

Lots of CBs play on the left despite being right-footed of course. They will be familiar with the issue and be competent enough for it not to be an issue for them. Imagine Vidic was as right-footed as Valencia though. That would certainly be an issue.

I'm not saying right-footers can't play at LCB (many also play leftback!), what I'm saying is a right-footer who hasn't played on the left has a huge question mark hanging over his head in that regard. The only recollection I have of Rio on the left is from that period, but it's actually from the 6-1, after Evans was sent off. He was useless, but then, everyone was that day and we were asking for trouble the way we went about things.

Yeah, well Rio has played left on more than a few occasions. Not certain but I think he lined up to the left of Sol Cambell too during their time together for England.

antohan

Yeah, well Rio has played left on more than a few occasions. Not certain but I think he lined up to the left of Sol Cambell too during their time together for England.
As a pair it was always Campbell left. Can't tell with Sven though, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried a back three at some point and I wouldn't be surprised if Rio was the middle man there with Campbell RCB.

EDogen

Congrats to Brwned for arguing better than me. Still think my team is better. Just did not have the energy/joy in this one. (think two drafts in this short time made me lose some interest, maybe should have skipped this one but the drafting process is so much fun.)

I´m more in for the draft than the matches, has been so every draft I have been in.

Fergus' son

Congrats to Brwned for arguing better than me. Still think my team is better. Just did not have the energy/joy in this one. (think two drafts in this short time made me lose some interest, maybe should have skipped this one but the drafting process is so much fun.)

I´m more in for the draft than the matches, has been so every draft I have been in.

I think most people share that view, drafting is fun and interesting, the matches are actually tiresome and rather time consuming.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Agree with this. I kinda regret voting so early because Edogen did then correct his formation, and probably would have then got my vote. I'm not a fan of diamonds anyway but when i seen defensive minded fullbacks that was me instantly put off, which is a shame as the spine of the team was outstanding.