Decades Draft Tournament : KM vs VP

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide which team will win based on all the players being at their respective peaks. The player profiles have been linked in both tactics so please go through them to read a brief description about all the players involved in the game!

KM's tactics
The team formation:

4-2-3-1. It's a simple formation really. However unlike the previous game, the full backs have been told to not attack at every time and hold their position, as VP's main strength is his wings.

Ballack and Dalglish has been replaced by superior players. Having Neeskens in the team makes the team defensively more solid and Unleashes the full potential of the "Kaiser" on the team.

Laudrup is in the no.10 position and he'll influence thing more clearly and enjoy working with Romario. The two of them are one of the most influential partnerships in football in last thirty years or so.

The wings are in a perfect shape for me, I've got a terrific combination of an out and out winger and a playmaker on the wings. Zidane and Hamrin will have loads of creativity and Hamrin is an exceptional goalscorer.

However it's the Midfield where I'll win the match. My midfield due to the presence of the Kaiser in there, is much, much better than that of VP's. I can't ever see VP taking control of that midfield.
TEAM KM
TEAM VP
VP's tactics
On the bench, player-manager Sir Alex Ferguson is relaxed, happy to be reunited with some of his favourite players, and thoroughly amused by his fellow managers’ rants, implosions and general muppetry in the competition so far. Respected and revered throughout football, his mere presence drives my team: all of them are desperate to impress the great man. This is the managerial equivalent of Messi playing in the Blue Square North.

In the opposing dug out a star-struck KM , with 27,000 posts on Redcafe as his sole footballing credentials, is out of his depth. His players are not taking him seriously (asking for autographs before the game probably didn’t help) and his tactical instructions were laughed at; they’re all treating this as a glorified friendly. But there is some solace as he gets to share a bottle of wine with Sir Alex after the match.

Like all of Fergie’s great teams, the team is built on rock solid centrebacks, powerful midfielders, explosive wingers and a cracking centreforward. A 4-2-3-1, I expect the football to be something like this, except much better.

For midfield-starved caftards, here’s a midfield to salivate over. Forget your ‘deep lying playmakers’ and ‘DMs’, Sammer and Matthaus are proper box-to-box midfielders that can do all of that and more. Add the genius of Scholes playing an advanced role behind RvN (which he did to devastating effect) and it’s a midfield that will handle and produce anything.

McGrath and Scirea should complement each other beautifully. Everyone knows about McGrath, but Scirea, Italian World Cup winner, was arguably even better: an elegant defender (never got sent off in his career) who was fantastic at bringing the ball out. Evra provides the delicious option of overlapping Gento while Brennan is a solid right back (part of United’s first European cup win) who will allow Ronaldo to operate freely.​

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Think i'd prefer Scholes in a deeper position. Would probably make the difference between winning and losing that midfield battle (even with Beckenbeuer in the opposition midfield).

Laudrup-Romario for KM is a delight. The right backs on each side are probably the weakest links, not sure yet which is the most at risk here.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Id just like to point out that my front six is much better than his.

KM

VP has taken the early lead but I'm not sure about that. My midfield is better than his, got a better striker and better set of fullbacks. His wings are better than me and central defense is perhaps a bit better.

I can't ever see him controlling the match with Kaiser around.

VP

Mate, I'd be more worried about what bottle of wine you're going to choose. Sir Alex tells me he's skeptical about Indian wine. :)

Seriously though, don't think Thiago Silva is good enough at this level and would struggle to handle my forwards. I can see Matthaus and Sammer nullifying much of Laudrups and Zidane's threat.

KM

Mate, I'd be more worried about what bottle of wine you're going to choose. Sir Alex tells me he's skeptical about Indian wine. :)

Seriously though, don't think Thiago Silva is good enough at this level and would struggle to handle my forwards. I can see Matthaus and Sammer nullifying much of Laudrups and Zidane's threat.

Who'll take care of Beckenbauer then?
You'll leave him free?

VP

Scholes could do that or Sammer or Matthaus. I've got three of the best all round midfielders over the last thirty years. They'll know who to pressure and when, it's why they're so good. And Matthaus and Sammer were no mugs with the ball either.

This is the thing about the draft, people are treating it liking a chess match rather than a football game. Anything can happen, Ronaldo could pick up the ball, 40 yards and do this:

Schnellinger, Neeskens and Beckenbauer can do nothing about it.

KM

You're playing Scholes in the attacking position and not the 2006 version. Is he their as an attacking option or there to shackle Beckenbauer?

Ruud needs service to score goals, he wasn't the genius, he was just a brilliant goalscorer.

KM

Btw I've voted for myself.

NM

I want to vote VP due to the United players, but think KM has a better team.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Two impressive front sixes. VP stronger in the middle of defence, KM at full-back. Bit concerned about Evra and Brennan when dealing with that front four, especially with Laudrup interchanging with Hamrin and Zidane.

Moby

Dick
How can you not vote in an all Indian affair? Are you sitting on the fence to protect your upcoming campaign for running for PM? Nation wants to know.

NM

How can you not vote in an all Indian affair? Are you sitting on the fence to protect your upcoming campaign for running for PM? Nation wants to know.

:lol:

To be honest, I think KM has the better team, but can't bring myself to vote against a team with so many United players in it!

Moby

Dick
Yep went for him as he's got 4 tremendous players on the ball who keep it between them so he would have a lot of possession, hence largely reducing scholesy's impact. Cristiano has proven to be a bit of ineffective at times when his team struggles to get the ball back, plus he's against an excellent fullback. While on the other hand VP's fullbacks don't inspire the same confidence. I love Evra, and rate him highly for his peak but he'd be a bit of weakness against Hamrin here who is a great outlet for KM's central players to find.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Similar players and playing styles with little to choose from in terms of strategy. Upto the individual players capabilities now and KM shades it.

Think i'd prefer Scholes in a deeper position. Would probably make the difference between winning and losing that midfield battle (even with Beckenbeuer in the opposition midfield).
Yes, but would that be enough? It does add more weight to the midfield, but VP would lose the bite in the attack too!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought VP would go for Ronaldo to replace RvN, get a CB and move Sammer to midfield. Sammer - Deschamp - other in midfield, with Ronaldo up top would be a team to beat.

KM

I thought VP would go for Ronaldo to replace RvN, get a CB and move Sammer to midfield. Sammer - Deschamp - other in midfield, with Ronaldo up top would be a team to beat.

Yup me too.

C. Ronaldo and RVN didn't like each other at United and it was no surprise that Ronaldo established himself as a top class player since Ruud left. I'm not sure how both of them will work together.

VP

On the golf course with Fergie, so can't post much.

Ronaldo and Ruud are getting along fine now. Ruud tells me he loves playing with this version of Ronaldo.

My midfield has far more steel to it, might not have as much possession but will be impossible to break through. How good is this Hamrin bloke anyway? Will he put in a defensive shift? Aren't KM's fullbacks known for their attacking abilities rather than defending? Can't see Zidane supporting Schnellinger much. Add that to the obvious weak link in Thiago Silva and my wingers are loving it.

KM

Disappointing to see the other manager being AWOL. I was expecting to see a full blown match, what I'm getting here is a half arsed one sided match with Kaiser absolutely controlling the match and Ronaldo doing his traditional arm waving. Disappointed.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I went for KM, he has the better midfield (VPs is fantastic too) and is better equipped to deal with the oppositions main threats.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Voted for KM. Two fairly evenly matched teams, but I can see VP's front three frustrating the hell out of each other whereas KM has one of the most proven partnerships out there in Laudrup and Romario. VP's superb central defence made me think though.

Siorac

Why is McGrath rated so highly on the Caf? I doubt he'd feature in discussions about all-time greats anywhere else tbh. I know he did well for Villa and Ireland but it's hardly the stuff of legends.

VP

Should've voted for me then!

FFS, 5 down, Redcafe thinks it knows better than Sir Alex, again.

VP

7/12 players are United. Let's make this interesting.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Why is McGrath rated so highly on the Caf? I doubt he'd feature in discussions about all-time greats anywhere else tbh. I know he did well for Villa and Ireland but it's hardly the stuff of legends.
He was just that talented. Similar to Gazza really - didn't have the career he could have had, but at his best his talent bore comparison to pretty much anyone around in his position, Some good quotes about him here:

http://www.soccer-ireland.com/football-quotes/paul-mcgrath.htm

KM

Should've voted for me then!

FFS, 5 down, Redcafe thinks it knows better than Sir Alex, again.

He's cracking up, cracking up!

Siorac

He was just that talented. Similar to Gazza really - didn't have the career he could have had, but at his best his talent bore comparison to pretty much anyone around in his position, Some good quotes about him here:

http://www.soccer-ireland.com/football-quotes/paul-mcgrath.htm
OK, he's rated very highly in the UK and Ireland but I don't think he's particularly well-known on the continent, unlike Gascoigne. If this wasn't a predominantly British and Irish forum then most people would probably wonder what the hell he's doing there next to Scirea.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Funny people are questioning Mcgraths inclusion when players like Thiago Silva are on the opposition.