Decades Draft Tournament : KM vs VP

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Siorac

Funny people are questioning Mcgraths inclusion when players like Thiago Silva are on the opposition.
I'm the only one questioning it and precisely because no one else does. It seems to be accepted as a given that he was an all-time great while his career highlight seems to be a group game against Italy in the 1994 World Cup.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I'm the only one questioning it and precisely because no one else does. It seems to be accepted as a given that he was an all-time great while his career highlight seems to be a group game against Italy in the 1994 World Cup.
I'm not sure if he has been called 'an all time great' though he was one of the best of his generation, not dissimilar to Rio or Stam or Ferrera etc who are also a part of this draft.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why is McGrath rated so highly on the Caf? I doubt he'd feature in discussions about all-time greats anywhere else tbh. I know he did well for Villa and Ireland but it's hardly the stuff of legends.

Here he's rated ahead of the likes of Carvalho, Aldair and Gamarra who are some of the best of the last 15 years or so and as United fans are more familiar with him than most they'll obviously rate him a few rungs higher than that (as we would with Ferdinand). I don't see what's surprising about any of that.

Siorac

I'm not sure if he has been called 'an all time great' though he was one of the best of his generation, not dissimilar to Rio or Stam or Ferrera etc who are also a part of this draft.
But the players you mention all consistently proved themselves at the very highest level for club and country. I find it a bit odd that he's in such elevated company, considering he never played for a really top side - Atkinson's United certainly wasn't that.

Here he's rated ahead of the likes of Carvalho, Aldair and Gamarra who are some of the best of the last 15 years or so and as United fans are more familiar with him than most they'll obviously rate him a few rungs higher than that (as we would with Ferdinand). I don't see what's surprising about any of that.
That's a list from a random forum, compiled by a random forum member. Sami Hyypia is there as one of the top 100 CBs of all time, ahead of McGrath. I'm not sure what do you try to prove with it. Nobody would say VP has a superb central defense if Hyypia partnered Scirea.

Fergus' son

But the players you mention all consistently proved themselves at the very highest level for club and country. I find it a bit odd that he's in such elevated company, considering he never played for a really top side - Atkinson's United certainly wasn't that.

That's a list from a random forum, compiled by a random forum member. Sami Hyypia is there as one of the top 100 CBs of all time, ahead of McGrath. I'm not sure what do you try to prove with it. Nobody would say VP has a superb central defense if Hyypia partnered Scirea.
Do you consider Bryan Robson a top player?

Siorac

Do you consider Bryan Robson a top player?
Good point, I'll give you that one.

It may sound blasphemous but we probably overrate him a bit. Wouldn't replace either Matthaus or Sammer with him.

Fergus' son

No real shame in being second best to those players, particularly Matthaus.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

My point being that it's not just United fans that would name him as a "great". No-one's saying McGrath is as good as Nesta or Bergomi or the like, just that his qualities happen to make a very formidable defence alongside someone considered by many as the best defender of all time.

VP

Perhaps McGrath's off field problems have added to his legend, in the sense there's always a what-if-factor that could lead fans to overrate him. And I think given the extent of his demons, that's fair.

VP

Just noticed the polls have closed I'm out and in 2 pages :lol:

Refreshing game for the spectators after the other matches in the tournament so far.

In hindsight should've replaced Ruud for Ronaldo. Underestimated the power of a big name and overestimated caftards' United -related nostalgia.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Perhaps McGrath's off field problems have added to his legend, in the sense there's always a what-if-factor that could lead fans to overrate him. And I think given the extent of his demons, that's fair.
That probably does factor into it a bit.

I do see Siorac's point - arguably better-credentialed players like Vidic have gotten quite a rough ride in this and other drafts, whereas I and seemingly most others would never really look at McGrath as a weak link. It is a bit strange, but he was simply that good imo, even if his career trajectory didn't necessarily reflect that. He didn't have any obvious weak points on the pitch either, which always helps.

Moby

Dick
Post match views from the man of the match Franz Beckenbauer : "Well, I am very glad that I have managed to return the expectations our fans had from our team. We look in great shape and the new additions worked really well. The Frenchman was a bit tedious to instruct but at the end of the day his contribution was vital. I am also very happy to see that both my teammates Paul and Gerd have won their games, I hope we have given our dear fan Balu enough reasons to celebrate so far. Gotta leave before those two finish all the smoke!"