Decades Draft Tournament : Theon vs paceme

Who will win the game based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide which team will win based on all the players being at their respective peaks. The player profiles have been linked in both tactics so please go through them to read a brief description about all the players involved in the game!

Theon's tactics
FORMATION

A 4-3-3 with a focus on dominating possession in the middle before spreading the ball wide and attacking down the flanks.

The defence is marshalled by the inspiring leadership of Passarella who remains one of the greatest defenders in the history of the game and by far the best on the pitch. The classy Italian Ciro Ferrara provides expert positioning and is equally capable playing the ball out from the back. Amoros will stick tight to Cruyff and get forward less than Roberto who will bomb forward the entire match in support of Ronaldinho.

Just in front sits Pirlo, Xavi and Tigana with the latter having the defensive work-ethic to toughen up the midfield, whilst possessing the technical ability to fit the passing style of his two partners. The midfield is based around patient control of possession before unleashing devastating throughballs down the flanks to Ronaldinho and Jairzinho, or over the top for Greaves to clinically finish.

In attack two genius Brazilian wingers flank one of the most prolific strikers in football history. Jairzinho and Ronaldinho bring pace, trickery and goals to either flank, with both capable either cutting inside or stretching the pitch out wide. Greaves will absolutely relish this service and will utilise his movement and finishing ability that led him to 126 goals in just 137 games – unreal statistics.

TACTICS

The approach of the team is to control the midfield with quick movement and passing, before transitioning into lightning quick attacks down the flanks or slipping a through ball behind the lines.

1) Dominate possession - Passarella, Xavi et al can dominate the ball in the centre before playing a devastating killer ball into attack. The backline and midfield contains some of the greatest possession players of all time which is an advantage over paceme.

As paceme is only playing two central midfielders in Seedorf and Van Hanegem Xavi/Pirlo/Tigana should have plenty of space to control the game

2) Brazilian trickery on the flanks – Two of the best wingers of all time, Ronaldinho and Jairzinho will absolutely terrorise Netto and De Boer with their pace and trickery.

Both of paceme’s fullbacks played their best football in different positions. De Boer was a slow but technical centre back and Netto played as a midfielder.

The only time Netto did play as a fullback he was a left back not right back – yet here he is up against Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos which is a huge weakness to exploit.

3) Roberto Carlos + Ronaldinho vs Netto – This is the biggest mismatch on the pitch by a distance. Robben offers nothing defensively and time and time again the two Brazilians will team up on Netto to devastating effect.

4) Passarella vs Van Basten - Paceme has a great attack and Van Basten is one of the all time best strikers, but he is facing an equally talented defender in Passarella who goes down with Baresi, Scirea and Figueroa as the best of all time. With Ferrara tidying up alongside the great Argentine this will be an epic but close match up.

Summary
We probably won’t be able to stop Paceme scoring a goal here because his team is great going forward, but at the same time he is extremely vulnerable in defence. We have a clear tactic to try and win the game which is to control the ball in the middle and then quickly attack down the flanks to expose the weakest area of paceme's team.​
TEAM Theon
TEAM paceme
paceme's tactics
My gameplan is simply to attack. My whole team is built to be incredibly fluid and comfortable with swapping positions ala total football. Theons team is built to thrive with the ball but he simply won't have it, from my backbone right up to the top my team is fully capable of taking other players positions and moving constantly. Vasovic, when I have possession will push out into midfield leaving a back three and an extra man to dominate possession. The defensive line will push right up and keep Theons team under constant pressure, playing the same brilliant offside trap as the great Ajax team of the late 60s and early 70s. Cryuff will obviously be able to roam wherever he wants and the width will be provided by Robben who will stay out wide when he is not in possession. Cryuff will pull the strings along with van hanegem, playing one twos and bursting past anyone in his way. Theons defence is good, but not good enough to stop the likes of Cryuff, Van Basten and Van Hanegem.​

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Goal goals goals galore. Can't see you controlling possession Theon. Cryuff is not going to be sitting out on the wing doing nothing, he will be wherever the ball is. Add to that the fact that my defence has players more gifted than some midfielders with the ball and id say you are going to struggle, putting Xavi in the middle does not guarantee possession

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
PLAYER PROFILES

GORDON BANKS – One of the greatest goalkeepers of all time along with the likes of Yashin, Zoff and Schmeichel. Word Cup winner for England in 1966 and pulled off that save against Pele four years later. A goalkeeping legend he is the perfect man to combat Paceme's attack based team.

MANUEL AMOROS – The best right back during the 1980’s and member of the fantastic French team of 1982-86. Tenacious, quick and with great stamina Amoros possessed a brilliant long passing game. Voted the best fullback at the World Cup and then voted 4th in the 1986 Ballon D’Or – an absolute rarity for a fullback.

DANIEL PASSARELLA – The standout defender on the pitch. Argentina’s imperious World Cup winning captain and considered by many the all time best defender from South America.

A classic libero with tremendous technical ability and an outstanding scoring record, Passarella combines unquestionable class with a fiery temperament and aggression. His supreme ability in possession is the perfect accompaniment to Xavi and Pirlo.

CIRO FERRARA – Captain of the brilliant Zidane/Davids/Ferrara Juventus team of the 1990’s reaching three consecutive Champions League finals. Classy and elegant defender with great positioning.

ROBERTO CARLOS – The ultimate attacking fullback, Carlos stretched the pitch and completely owned the left flank for both Real Madrid and Brazil. Famous for his exceptional stamina and lightning quick speed – he will bomb up the left the entire match.

ANDREA PIRLO - The greatest deeplying playmaker in the history of the game. His long range passing is absolutely perfect for getting the ball behind the defence through to Ronaldinho and Jairzinho. Time and time again Pirlo will ping the ball out wide and let the wingers terrorise paceme’s defence.

JEAN TIGANA – Voted second in the 1984 Balon D’Or. Tigana was an instrumental part of the French ‘Magic Square’ and is widely considered the best ever French centre midfielder ahead of the likes of Viera and Makelele. Box to box master with limitless stamina, he provides defensive solidity whilst fitting perfectly with the possession orientated midfield.

XAVI HERNANDEZ – Unrivalled passing master and best midfielder since the turn of the century. One of the best passers in the history of the game, he will dominate possession with Pirlo and Tigana whilst constantly looking for the through ball to Ronaldinho/Greaves/Jairzinho.

JAIRZINHO – Brazilian wizard and part of the best ever international football team of all time -1970 Brazil in which he achieved the unbelievable record of scoring in every single game including the final.

Quick and explosive with fantastic dribbling ability he can shoot either side of the fullback and either create or score himself.

RONALDINHO – Equally talented brazillian on the left wing, Ronaldinho’s peak is as good as any in the history of the game. Incredible touch & close control, unstoppable dribbling ability and scorer of amazing goals. One of his best moments came in the 2005/06 season when he single handedly dismantled Real Madrid at the Bernebeu - getting a standing ovation from the Madrid fans no less.

JIMMY GREAVES – The most prolific striker in the history of English football.

- 44 goals in 57 games for England

- scored 30 goals in a season on nine separate occasions

- 1960-1963 he scored 126 goals in just 137 games.

Greaves' natural movement and finishing ability will be perfect foil for the talented wingers in the side. Brazilian Flair and creativity mixed with ruthless killer instinct.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Goal goals goals galore. Can't see you controlling possession Theon. Cryuff is not going to be sitting out on the wing doing nothing, he will be wherever the ball is. Add to that the fact that my defence has players more gifted than some midfielders with the ball and id say you are going to struggle, putting Xavi in the middle does not guarantee possession
Goals, goals, goals is a good description of your tactic! Probably the most offensively orientated team I have seen, including some of Stobz sides!

It isn't only Xavi though mate, Pirlo and Tigana are possession based players as well, and Passarella was a classic orchestrator from deep.

You also only have two midfielders because Keegan was a forward, so there should be lots of space for that midfield to control the game.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
Yep he is. But Cryuff is essentially a midfielder, Vasovic is going to be pushing forward when I have possession to pressure your midfield and provide an extra man, add Netto bombing forward into the middle of the pitch and you can see that my team cannot really be represented well by a simple graphic.

NM

Yep he is. But Cryuff is essentially a midfielder, Vasovic is going to be pushing forward when I have possession to pressure your midfield and provide an extra man, add Netto bombing forward into the middle of the pitch and you can see that my team cannot really be represented well by a simple graphic.

TBH, that just sounds like a crowded and confused midfield Paceme. It is weird. I like your players more, but am confusing by the formation and positions.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
TBH, that just sounds like a crowded and confused midfield Paceme. It is weird. I like your players more, but am confusing by the formation and positions.
It's simply total football. Any player can play any other position. The backline pressures so high that the players are almost deep midfielders and when in possession it changes to a 3-4-3 due to Vasovic pushing forward.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's simply total football. Any player can play any other position. The backline pressures so high that the players are almost deep midfielders and when in possession it changes to a 3-4-3 due to Vasovic pushing forward.
The defensive line will push right up and keep Theons team under constant pressure, playing the same brilliant offside trap as the great Ajax team of the late 60s and early 70s.
I get what you are saying with the highline but you have really slow defenders so this will be crazy I think.

Jairzinho will absolutely roast De Boer for pace, and Koeman is even slower.

Ronaldinho and Carlos are absolutely lightning fast as well, particularly Roberto Carlos, he was like a bullet.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That's normal with total football

paceme

Golly Gilmore
Yep, but I'm simply replicating ajaxs style of play, the key is Vasovic who orchestrated ajaxs offside trap. I'm sure ajax played against many fast attacks but most were simply nullified by the dominance of possession. I don't think I can stop you from scoring, I just think I can score more than you.

Thisistheone

What worries me about paceme's side is the slow defence, and playing a high line with them seems like suicide.

And then there's the full backs up against Jairzinho and Ronaldinho...

antohan

Theon, did you update your tactics or just called paceme's lineup in advance? :eek:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Theon, did you update your tactics or just called paceme's lineup in advance? :eek:
Called it in advance, but I sent him my tactic and he sent me his via PM to Aldo

antohan

This would be a goalfest really. Reminds me of Cruyff playing two attacking fullbacks and pretty much leaving all the defending to Koeman for Barca. They regularly had epic games with basketball scorelines.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
There would definitely be lots of goals, but I do think my defence is better than Paceme's and also has the far better keeper

The fullbacks especially are a mismatch and they are up against two all time greats in Ronaldinho and Jairzinho

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm going for 6-5. Not sure who to yet, but Greavesy will bag a hat-trick, one after Valdes passes it straight to him. Jairzinho should get a couple, as should Robben and Keegan.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
I think Theons defence is better than mine, I agree with him completely, but I think my who front six is better, I have Cryuff who won three Ballon d'Ors, Van Basten who won three, Keegan won two. I have a midfielder who is on level with Neeskens in terms of ability. The whole thing fits together and to be frank Theons defence, while good is not good enough to play against that at all. Ronaldinho thrives in a team who are dominating, simple numbers in the middle mean nothing here, Van hanegen is a level above anything in Theons midfield with Seedorf on terms with Pirlo and Cryuff (whose position is irrelevant tbh) is far better than any player in Theons team.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
All 4 fullbacks are gonna leak goals left, right and center.
Come on, Carlos and Amoros are definitely the best two on the pitch and they have better cover from Ferrara/Passarella

In the write up at the top I've got Amoros playing conservatively and sticking to Cruyff, so not going gung-ho like Carlos is on the left.

Carlos definitely is attacking to double up on Netto and that is surely the biggest source of goals on the pitch

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Van hanegen is a level above anything in Theons midfield with Seedorf on terms with Pirlo and Cryuff (whose position is irrelevant tbh) is far better than any player in Theons team.
No midfielder is a level above Xavi mate! I know we all like to romaticise about players from the past but Xavi has been in a league of his own since the turn of the century. He's been the brain and centre team's winning La Liga, the Champions League, the European Championships and the World Cup.

Pirlo is absolutely in a different class to Seedorf, he is far, far better.

antohan

There would definitely be lots of goals, but I do think my defence is better than Paceme's and also has the far better keeper
Yes, I'm inclined to believe the more organised defence would prevail.

Two things worry me when I look at you though:

1. Xavi fecking about too much with possession, as you may not score as many as needed. The instructions appear to have given Xavi the lead to run a tiki taka midfield. But I think Tigana and Pirlo wouldn't play along in a game which is bound to present regular openings.

2. Roberto Carlos-Passarella flank is not my favourite. In this game in particular you would want Passarella advancing and influencing the game, which requires him to be less conservative with his positioning. You can't really do that if Roberto Carlos is also carefree and constantly bombing forward. One of the two has to stay put and it would have to be Passarella because there's no point in Carlos if he won't bomb forward. It's a shame, but with Roberto Carlos on the left I don't think we would see the best Passarella, despite him having the right CB partner for it. If you had more of a Thuram type on the left then he would be exceptional.

They are not critical issues but they would very likely make you somewhat disfunctional in the early exchanges of your first game until the players wrap their head around what the feck is going on.

NM

To be fair, Theon should start a goal up. Valdes vs Banks ffs. How the hell did Valdes get picked? I know Paceme wanted a ball playing keeper, but come on!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah Passarella is definitely playing more conservatively, well he won't be bombing up the pitch or anything like that. Not even really to do with Carlos just the way Paceme has set out his team as so attacking. Paceme's attack is also the best part of his team as well so keeping it tigher seems the wiser move

On Xavi - The idea wasn't tika takka really or to just tip tap the way towards the goal, the point was more that the midfield will keep it tight in the middle before constantly playing it wide. It's actually not that tika takka-ish because in it says direct attacks down the flanks, so with a Pirlo/Xavi through ball or a raking pass outside to the wingers.

I reckon the wingers are the best source to goal here which is why I've gone for that method

Moby

Dick
Come on, Carlos and Amoros are definitely the best two on the pitch and they have better cover from Ferrara/Passarella

In the write up at the top I've got Amoros playing conservatively and sticking to Cruyff, so not going gung-ho like Carlos is on the left.

Carlos definitely is attacking to double up on Netto and that is surely the biggest source of goals on the pitch
Amoros won't stick to him the whole time, when the team is attacking he will definitely leave his ground, and anyway he'll be twisted and turned by Cruyff all day long. He's no Vogts to sustain that trickery for 90 minutes!

paceme

Golly Gilmore
No midfielder is a level above Xavi mate! I know we all like to romaticise about players from the past but Xavi has been in a league of his own since the turn of the century. He's been the brain and centre team's winning La Liga, the Champions League, the European Championships and the World Cup.

Pirlo is absolutely in a different class to Seedorf, he is far, far better.
He's a different type of midfielder but Pirlo is certainly not far far better. Xavi was excellent in the recent barcelona system but was never considered a great when Barca were playing 'ordinary football' brilliant but not on the level of someone like van hanegem who can do anything on a pitch.

paceme

Golly Gilmore

Amoros sticking to Cryuff all game could make a whole episode of you've been framed.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He's a different type of midfielder but Pirlo is certainly not far far better. Xavi was excellent in the recent barcelona system but was never considered a great when Barca were playing 'ordinary football' brilliant but not on the level of someone like van hanegem who can do anything on a pitch.
I think that's really romanticising the older players, but fair do's if you think that mate - opinions etc

I haven't seen much of Van Hanegem to disagree but IMO Xavi is the best passing midfielder of all time, I've seen noone come close to him.

Tigana is regarded at a similar standard anyway, he's up there with the all time greats so should be getting more credit. He's in a different league to the likes of Seedorf as well

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Amoros won't stick to him the whole time, when the team is attacking he will definitely leave his ground, and anyway he'll be twisted and turned by Cruyff all day long. He's no Vogts to sustain that trickery for 90 minutes!
Amoros sticking to Cryuff all game could make a whole episode of you've been framed.
Point taken, Cruyff is one of the best ever so I'm not going to try and play him down!

I didn't say he would manage to do it or anything, just that this is what Amoros' instuctions are - to try and keep it tight with Cruyff.

He was a great defender anyway, Aldo will know more as a Frenchman but he is very highly rated

paceme

Golly Gilmore
In a game like this simply being an excellent passing midfielder is not enough, you have two in Pirlo and Xavi, both slow, both not the best defensively and the game could pretty easily pass them by when up against two box to box runners who will work their bollocks off. See Barca vs Bayern this season.

antohan

Yeah Passarella is definitely playing more conservatively, well he won't be bombing up the pitch or anything like that. Not even really to do with Carlos just the way Paceme has set out his team as so attacking. Paceme's attack is also the best part of his team as well so keeping it tigher seems the wiser move
That's an important instruction as I could fully see Passarella advancing with the ball, Carlos bombing forward, Amoros personal detail on Cruyff dragging him into midfield and Ferrara going "Come on lads, what the feck are you playing at? We are going to get murdered here!".

On Xavi - The idea wasn't tika takka really or to just tip tap the way towards the goal, the point was more that the midfield will keep it tight in the middle before constantly playing it wide. It's actually not that tika takka-ish because in it says direct attacks down the flanks, so with a Pirlo/Xavi through ball or a raking pass outside to the wingers.
Fair enough, don't bang on so much about Xavi then, Pirlo is your main man here. I reckon paceme's midfield supported by Cruyff will give you a hard time but every ball you get out to your front three will be half a goal if he is defending high up.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Fair enough, don't bang on so much about Xavi then, Pirlo is your main man here.
Fair enough, I reckon theres not much between Pirlo and Xavi long passing/through ball wise.

Pirlo is probably better at raking it out wide to the wingers because he does that all the time, but Xavi is probably better at slipping a pass in between the defence

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Greaves will be fecked against a this high line I might add. One of the reasons it worked so well for ajax is because that players didn't know what the feck was going on with the constant pressure and offside trap.
I dunno, Greaves wasnt even exceptionally quick, but he was still a lot quicker than Koeman and the highline is exactly what Xavi and Pirlo want

antohan

Fair enough, I reckon theres not much between Pirlo and Xavi long passing/through ball wise.

Pirlo is probably better at raking it out wide to the wingers because he does that all the time, but Xavi is probably better at slipping a pass in between the defence
The way I see it Pirlo is the one unleashing the attack, Xavi the one that puts a killer ball when Ronnie gets to a dead end and passes it back to him. Tigana is making himself available playing box to box.

Paceme has a point in that he can disrupt any attempt to control the game from midfield, and Xavi in particular.

Aldo is also right the fullbacks will all have a mare.

I fancy your front three to score more though, as your defensive core is a few notches above his.