Decades Draft Tournament : Theon vs paceme

Who will win the game based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Think Cruyff's used as well as he could be. He usually started on the left and moved from there. Of course under Michels it was impossible to pin point anyone's position..

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm surprised you didn't go Cruyff centre and Keegan playing off the wing, Cruyff would own that midfield.
You can blame me for that, he asked me about it and I was of the opinion Cruyff would be wherever he wanted/was needed anyway and I couldn't see the point of Keegan being shunted to play off the wing just so the formation sheet showed him central.

antohan

What are you talking about.. I said the team isn't tika takka-ing its way up the pitch, but dominating the middle with short passes around Seedorf before raking passes out wide to Jairzinho/Ronaldinho.

I never once said I'm not playing a prime Xavi, why would anyone do that?
I said you clarified what the situation was here (you do use the word possession a lot in your tactics though).

Of course you didn't say "I'm using non-prime Xavi" but you keep referring to Xavi playing in a way which is more consistent with how he played before his peak, not at his peak.

Anyway mate, chill, we are discussing stuff and having a bit of a laugh at this mindfeck of a game. Last I checked you were clear by 9 votes so it's a dead rubber already.

antohan

Should of just put him central, anything more complex than looking at the graphic as a rigid tactic is too hard apparently.
My assumption would be if you asked Keegan to play off the left he would go try do that while Cruyff escapes instruction, so you may as well have Keegan where he played best.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
You can blame me for that, he asked me about it and I was of the opinion Cruyff would be wherever he wanted/was needed anyway and I couldn't see the point of Keegan being shunted to play off the wing just so the formation sheet showed him central.
Yeah, Cruyff won't be bothered by the difference but it would've looked a bit better with him central IMO (to take advantage of Theons lightweight middle) plus it wouldve meant that Theon couldn't put Amoros on him (not that Amoros would stop him) and trying to sell Pirlo doing a defensive job on Cruyff would be impossible.

antohan

Have to say, kudos to paceme in that this is the first time I've rated Cruyff in a game. I always see him straight-jacketed in a conventional setup with everyone having clear roles and more likely a disruption, while here he is in his element. He probably has too much to do though, particularly when filling in as right back.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Anyway, Ronaldinho has ripped the feck out of Netto (rb?!!?) long enough for me.

antohan

Yeah, Cruyff won't be bothered by the difference but it would've looked a bit better with him central IMO (to take advantage of Theons lightweight middle) plus it wouldve meant that Theon couldn't put Amoros on him (not that Amoros would stop him) and trying to sell Pirlo doing a defensive job on Cruyff would be impossible.
paceme should have got Simonsen instead of Keegan really. He was the one I thought he should go for when he had a 30s and 50s pick left and asked us to randomly pick a player for him.

One thing is certain here, Amoros' confidence will be shot after this. Theon will need a new RB. ;)

JOKE or not?

antohan

Anyway, Ronaldinho has ripped the feck out of Netto (rb?!!?) long enough for me.
I don't actually have a major issue with a fullback being on the wrong side as far as marking someone is concerned. Once in possession there's feckup potential to account for (bad clearances, dithering on the ball trying to get it on the other foot and being dispossesed again, most likely shite going forward, etc.) but there's no significant difference in terms of defending.

antohan

So that is 2 managers going before me in the reinforcement draft round. Sigh.
Two more to play, but I doubt it will make a huge difference. It won't be a great test for your concept as everyone will be screwed up by the decades rule. If anything, I'd argue it's better to be middle or further up as with deeper squads the second reinforcement round would be more significant and easier to accommodate preferred players.

Moby

Dick
I was pondering going first at one point :D

Let's see, my strategy is a bit delicate and even though I don't think you two will go for the one I want.

antohan

I was pondering going first at one point :D

Let's see, my strategy is a bit delicate and even though I don't think you two will go for the one I want.
I think I know who you mean. It is indeed delicate with this decade stuff. I don't think Carlos Alberto's passing made much of a difference in the last game and that's my spare 40s spot blown on a fullback who can't be upgraded. It's only the decade that would be an upgrade, not the fullback. :annoyed:

At the time I thought worst case if I eventually came across Pelé he could come on for Eusebio, but I would like to play both!!!!!:mad:

The draw will have a huge say on what to pick and what to risk, TBH.

antohan

Bump.

Early exchanges promised a cracker and potentially hilarious meltdowns. Spoilsports.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The game, like all the others so far, isn't close enough for anyone to get too emotional.

antohan

The game, like all the others so far, isn't close enough for anyone to get too emotional.
Exactly why people should have been less trigger happy and make the managers sweat it a bit more :keano:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Do people see Amoros as weak defensively? I'd have put him on the same level as Lizarazu defensively and I never really saw him as a weak point even in the exceptional France defence.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not really from what I've seen. Probably the most credible full-back on the park.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
That's not exactly a huge compliment considering who the other three are. :lol:
Roberto Carlos is an all time great, no idea why he's getting slagged off.

Obviously if were talking just defensively then fair enough (he wasn't bad though), but if your including attack then he was absolutely brilliant.

antohan

Do people see Amoros as weak defensively? I'd have put him on the same level as Lizarazu defensively and I never really saw him as a weak point even in the exceptional France defence.
Lizarazu is a good comparison. Very solid and beest on the park as Gio says, it's just that he is supposed to do a Gentile on Cruyff following him around which is not something I think he was ever asked to do... and it's Cruyff.

I would leave Cruyff to roam around rather than put personal marking and end up having a conventional side effectively playing total football just because they are chasing people around like headless chicken.

antohan

Is it Jayvin that has Best and Giggs? Imagine the carnage they would cause in this match.
:lol: I mentioned during the drafting the sides without proper fulbacks could really suffer!

Jayvin has a top side. EDogen would at present be my frontrunner, but that would entail Brwned going out and freeing up Edwards and Charlton for Jayvin, who has been careful to plan for it with his 30s picks. All bets are off then with the Trinity back together again + Edwards, Giggs... :eek:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Agree on Jayvin, he has an awesome side and for me its him and Cutch as the standouts at the first round

antohan

Agree on Jayvin, he has an awesome side and for me its him and Cutch as the standouts at the first round
:confused:
When the teams were drafted I thought Fergus had the best team out of everyone and he was definitely the one I was hoping to avoid.
Not that we disagree. I have it 1. EDogen, 2. Jayvin, 3. Cutch.

If they go through those are the three draws I wouldn't want next.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Not weak at all. But putting 99 per cent of defenders on the planet to the task of marking Cryuff would end up in humiliation, Amoros will probably end up over at my left back at some point.

sajeev

As good as Theon's team is, My vote goes to paceme for his follow through of the idea of total football. i am surprised to see such a big gap.

Thisistheone

Surprised Roberto Carlos is getting such a hard time. He was a beast down the left flank in his prime. You don't hold the left back spot in 3 world cups and 12 years at Real Madrid if you're not a fantastic player.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:confused:

Not that we disagree. I have it 1. EDogen, 2. Jayvin, 3. Cutch.

If they go through those are the three draws I wouldn't want next.
:confused: Did you just stop reading in the middle of the post?

When the teams were drafted I thought Fergus had the best team out of everyone and he was definitely the one I was hoping to avoid. When the team is on paper though I do think it lacks a bit in attack, and it looks like that is what has won Anto the game.
Hmm think you overrate EDogen's team by quite a bit, it's a good side and definitely around the top 5 in the game - but its not on par with the two standouts.

antohan

Not weak at all. But putting 99 per cent of defenders on the planet to the task of marking Cryuff would end up in humiliation, Amoros will probably end up over at my left back at some point.
I would expect that from a right back, tbh.

antohan

:confused: Did you just stop reading in the middle of the post?
No, I thought one distinct thing is during the draft and another once the action starts. You seemed to be talking about during the draft. Never mind.

Hmm think you overrate EDogen's team by quite a bit, it's a good side and definitely around the top 5 in the game - but its not on par with the two standouts.
I hope you are right. Best thing that could happen to the rest of us is Brwned winning that one: no EDogen and no super-charged Jayvin to worry about.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
No, I thought one distinct thing is during the draft and another once the action starts. You seemed to be talking about during the draft. Never mind.

I hope you are right. Best thing that could happen to the rest of us is Brwned winning that one: no EDogen and no super-charged Jayvin to worry about.
But it could end up with a super-charged Brwned!

Best/Law for Jayvin, Edwards/Charlton for Brwned.. If either of them manages to link up the others then that is some side.