Decision to start Fellaini

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Before the match it was a bonkers decision, however Fellaini was quite threatening in the first half and the beginning of the second imo. When he got through to the keeper I already though it would be a goal, since Fellaini making the deciding goal is something he's done before.

And on the subject of Fellaini, I always forget how many L's his name has.

I also found this image:

stevoc

That is very true, it was only after Fellaini was replaced by Pogba that we fell behind. Pogba not playing as denfensively as Fellaini gave Sevilla more space in midfield and they exploited it. They cut us open on the first goal, straight down the middle of the park and that was game over.
Fellaini wasn't much better than Pogba defensively if we're being honest. He was strolling all over the pitch and leaving huge holes in our midfield and he's not the quickest to get back and help Matic out. Sevilla had 21 shots at our goal last night they didn't all occur after Fellaini was taken off.

The difference was after Fellaini went off Sevilla brought on a decent striker who was actually able to direct a shot on target as opposed to that other clown they played up front for most of the two legs who was fecking woeful. Had we played a top team with top strikers last night we could have been hammered with the way we set-up.

Parma Dewol

Fellaini is never going to be popular with most fans, but you have to wonder what Jose was thinking yesterday. Why start him for the first time in almost five months in the biggest game of the season? He didn't do too badly - actually created a few opening games, forced a good save, and went off with the score still at 0-0 - but it was such a gamble to play him from the start.

ostentatious

Fellaini is never going to be popular with most fans, but you have to wonder what Jose was thinking yesterday. Why start him for the first time in almost five months in the biggest game of the season? He didn't do too badly - actually created a few opening games, forced a good save, and went off with the score still at 0-0 - but it was such a gamble to play him from the start.
Did you just not answer your own question there? He did okay and for me, his inclusion was not the biggest mistake Mourinho made yesterday.

Parma Dewol

Did you just not answer your own question there? He did okay and for me, his inclusion was not the biggest mistake Mourinho made yesterday.
I should have phrased it better. What I meant was that Fellaini already isn't popular with the fans, and by starting him last night there was a high probability he would be made out as the villain. I'm not saying Jose should pick his team based on what the fans think, but in this case it creates unrest in the atmosphere - Fellaini only has to give the ball away once and there are groans all over. Just seemed a huge gamble to change a system that worked so well against Liverpool.

El-Manos

It's not that he was terrible, it just didn't make sense starting him for this particular game. Also, he only just came back from injury. Last night was all on Mourinho, he made some major feck ups with the line up and the way he approached this game over both legs.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Should have been the exact same 11 that played Liverpool. For someone who was known for not swapping or changing things too much when he was at Chelsea in his first spell, he does it a lot here. He has his favourites of course, but the formation and many other players are continuously swapped out or moved across the park out of their favoured position.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There are three possible reasons for Jose to start Fellaini (or possibly a combination).

a) It was felt McTominay wasn't ready to start two such important matches three days apart, and Pogba also isn't quite right yet (whether because of injury or just form in general).

b) I see others saying why did we start Fellaini against a team that doesn't require him to combat what they have. Well it also goes the other way - therefore they, in theory, don't have the players to combat what he brings to the table. Perhaps he could run riot against a team that isn't used to playing someone like him. It didn't quite work out like that, but we're talking with hindsight here.

c) Mourinho may have thought we would have more control and be more dominant in this game since we were at home. In which case he may have felt that having both Matic and McTominay may have been the wrong balance, similar to what happened against Palace in the first half. Fellaini brings that extra attacking edge.

Personally I hope it was the first option. If it was b) or c) I can understand Mourinho's thinking, but I don't agree with it and I'm certainly disappointed. But if it was the first and McTominay just wasn't ready for it at this point in his career, then fair enough. We don't want to run him into the ground. And then Fellaini got picked as the last man standing (Pogba struggling and Herrera injured).

ostentatious

We were not looking for an "okay" level of performance. The match was a knockout match and not a match where you ease players coming back from an injury
Agree. But Fellaini was not worse than most of the others, the whole team played as if they did not care sometimes. Fellaini was doing something to impact the game. Our whole approach looked complacent for some reason. So I feel starting him wasn't the biggest error. Mourinho should've either replaced him with McTominay or replaced someone else with Pogba IMO.

I should have phrased it better. What I meant was that Fellaini already isn't popular with the fans, and by starting him last night there was a high probability he would be made out as the villain. I'm not saying Jose should pick his team based on what the fans think, but in this case it creates unrest in the atmosphere - Fellaini only has to give the ball away once and there are groans all over. Just seemed a huge gamble to change a system that worked so well against Liverpool.
Agree with this. Could've started with McTominay, but maybe the boss felt that he wasn't that fresh enough, after playing a huge game just 3 days back.

raphe brown

Mourinho has an obsession with certain players and Fellaini is one of them.
this is why we are not making real progress, Mourinho has agendas against pivotal players (Martial, Shaw, Rashford) we need to play our best team every game. why is we are always focussing on the opposition and changing our team to their preferences? well I say pivotal players thats abit of a push, but childish decisions are being made each week which need to feckin change ASAP

Nori-

I'm so sick of this guys face. I've been saying from his first season, he isn't a United grade player. The only thing he does well is cause chaos. He cant pass, cant shoot, is around 6ft 5 and cant header, loses the ball easily, always fouls etc etc etc.

The second he has one good game, the pro Fellainii 'Get off his back' brigade come out. Its almost like they want to convince themselves he is good at any cost and won't accept him leaving as a failure. Even if it takes the next decade.

He isn't the only problem with our squad, I'm not saying that but he IS a consistent problem and what he has offered over the last 5 years has been mid table quality at best.

Personally, I really hope he leaves in the summer on a free so his grey clouds that have been hanging over our club finally clear

flappyjay

We didn't lose the game with Fellaini on. We lost the game with Pogba's coming on for him. Half of Pogba's passes were to Sevilla players and those were simple passes.
It had been coming Matic was a one man midfield, fellaini spent most of the first half in the other team box getting balls hoofed at him. If you remember sevilla kept getting to our box over and over it just that Muriel was horrible. When Ben yedder came he was making smart runs and stretched out defence

flappyjay

If he wanted to play hoofball so bad he should have started Scott and Matic behind big Fella atleast we wouldn't have been conceding so many shots

R'hllor

The moment he became option for important game, McT didnt stand a chance regardless of his form, McT got minutes (some could say due tones of injuries but i dont care), sadly last night it went full "If you are old enough, you are good enough" in this specific case, made no sense to me.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
All of our players played badly bar Lukaku.

McTominay shouldn't have lost his place.

Pogba was dreadful.

Best to forget about yesterday. We will reinforce this summer and be better next year. Our young players will improve and learn to play better together too. If not, next year will be Mou's last.

marlowe78

I've gotten to like Fellaini since he puts a shift in and he has been an important player at moments, like in our cup wins and wins against rivals. He's taken a lot of shit that isn't his fault, primarily because Moyes brought him here for a insane sum of money.

Still, it's bemusing to see him in action for a 3rd manager post-SAF - and in a CL knockout tie yet - when it's clear that United are never going to reach the levels we need to with him in the lineup. He is a useful player when a lot of balls are being played into the box during the waning minutes or if you need a body in MF who can help to break play up. But if you want sure-footed defence or a smooth attack with movement, you are simply not getting that with him. He is too big and cumbersome and he slows down everyone around him.

Why is he still in the United squad? Fellaini, quite simply, was LVG's and now Jose's escape route when we're faced with a high press. The Liverpool game on Saturday was another clear sign that our team can't deal with a high pressing line from the opposition. Both LVG and Jose have wanted players to stay rigidly in position and maintain shape, so it tends to isolate our players from one another. Our lack of movement is such that the ball carrier sometimes has only one passing option and it's impossible to create a 1-2 and get through an opponent's press.

We also have CBs, especially Smalling, who lack confidence with the ball and hoof it under the smallest amounts of pressure. Compare this to teams like Bayern, who have Hummels in their backline, or Real Madrid, who have had players like Ramos and Pepe. City is the same with Kompany, Otamendi, and Stones. We don't have comparable players (maybe Bailly in the future? Lindelof?), so the plan of escape is to station Fellaini in the middle of the pitch and play balls long to him. By no coincidence, we did the same kind of thing with Lukaku on Saturday and we scored both of our goals from it.

I think if our inability to deal with the press is not dealt with - or at least there is talk made of addressing the problem over the summer - Fellaini may be here next season, against the wishes of most in this thread. Jose (if he is still here) and the scouting staff need to look at a couple of ball-playing CBs to upgrade us. I won't mention who should go, we all know who they are. Hopefully Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah will also get their chance next season.

RedDevil@84

ellaini, quite simply, was LVG's and now Jose's escape route when we're faced with a high press
Sevilla hardly showed any high pressing in first leg and not sure if they did yesterday as well. Selecting him in the starting lineup was very confusing for me.
Maybe he wanted to surprise the Sevilla players who would have not thought that Fellaini would start such an important match

marlowe78

Sevilla hardly showed any high pressing in first leg and not sure if they did yesterday as well. Selecting him in the starting lineup was very confusing for me.
Maybe he wanted to surprise the Sevilla players who would have not thought that Fellaini would start such an important match
I was talking more in a general sense than with regards to yesterday. My only guess for yesterday is that McTominay would've been coming off 3 days rest and is still young. But I, personally, would have taken the chance and played him.

Lindelof is also supposedly capable as a MF, maybe take a gamble and play him next to Matic?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It wasn’t poor in the sense that he was fundamental to Mou’s obvious strategy. And Felli wasn’t all that bad. He had some good moments.

In that case, it’s not about Felli at all. The criticism would be towards Mou in general.

Nucks

RT History Department
Fellaini and Matic in a midfield two at home in a game where we had to win. Let that sink in.

We had Pogba on the bench as well.
Pogba came in and was worse. Maybe he picked the right guy given the condition of Pogba?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't know why so many are acting surprised. The amount of times he was in the starting XI in the match day threads was unreal. He's been most people's go to guy so why all the hysteria all of a sudden? He should be nowhere the starting XI full stop!

reddevil702

I'm more upset about the tactics rather the decision to start fellaini. I don't feel he played that bad, but to go into this match after being outplayed in the first leg and decide that long balls to Fellaini is the way to go, especially after the performance Matic and Mctominay had vs Liverpool is just crazy.

Roeindo

The club should sell this guy ASAP, cause JM love for him will destroy everything we aim for.

I dont see anything that McT cant do that this guy do very well.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The club should sell this guy ASAP, cause JM love for him will destroy everything we aim for.

I dont see anything that McT cant do that this guy do very well.
We'll probably give Fellaini a 3yr £200k pw contract and sell Martial to Spurs for £50m!

Bearded One

First post post-Sevilla because I have been avoiding this place like a plague. Not sure what else the gaffer could do:

1. Why play Rashford? It made sense because he played on the back of a MOTM showing. Nobody would know that he wouldn't turn up
2. Play Mc Tomminay instead of Fellaini because the former is in good form? He was poor in the first leg imo and maybe a little more experience was required
3. Why not start Pogba in a home match when we needed to score? Yes we needed to score but we also needed to not be scored as one goal conceded against them couldn't be chalked off with one goal. You'd agree with me that something has not been right with Pogba in recent times and one of the reasons we lost that game was because Fellaini was hauled off for the golden boy.
4. Why take off Fellaini for Pogba? He needed to score. Kinda like a catch 22 situation.

Still feel deflated as i type but much better than yesterday.

IronTulip

Shouldn't be blaming Fellaini for the exit last night, he had one of our few shots on target last night. It was still 0-0 when he went off. I will be glad if he leaves at the end of the season though!

I can understand the logic for his inclusion. Scott/Matic/Carrick are too defensive a pairing, and we had to score. Pogba is out of sorts, so we really had no one else.

I would put more blame on Pogba who really needs to start earning his wages. His unforced pass into touch was diabolical. Both full backs too were terrible last night. And for Mourinho who really should be firing his players up more from the get go. Let your horse's run free damn it.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I have no objection to him starting but why then follow this up by barely playing a cross in the box? It's indicative of the muddled thinking by Mouriniho. So obsessed with stopping the opposition that he's even destroying basic attacking play

POF

He picked him so he could use him as a target for long balls and in the hope he would score with a back post header.

I don't mind Fellaini and I can see that he gives the manager options but I hate how the team plays when he is in the side. If United are to become a potent attacking side then it will have to be without Fellaini in the team.

I really hope he leaves in the summer. While he's at the club Jose will keep going back to him for pressure games. He just can't help himself.

Zlatattack

Fellaini is getting a lot of stick and I think it's uncalled for. I can't remember Matic making a single forward pass. Lingard was coming back to the defence to pick up the ball. It reminded me of school where the shit kids would just make short passes to the guy who thought he was good.

Fellaini also took a couple of shots on goal, didn't see Alexis take a shot, Rashford make super runs but nobody was running into the box to get into the end of it and some of his crosses were weak too.

I don't think Fellaini was more crap than anyone else.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Nothing wrong with starting Fellaini, clearly the plan was to go long, win the second ball and attack quickly. Having 2 targets to aim for allowed us to push sevilla backwards, we were in total control in the first half. Now when you are in control you must score and when you don't bad things can happen.

If we didn't have to bring Fellaini off because he wasn't 100% fit we would probably have eventually fashioned a goal. Pogba doesn't understand how to play mourinhos style, or he wont, but he kept dropping deeper and deeper to get on the ball. That's wrong, now we only have lukaku as target and sevilla now can press higher, eventually hit us in transition and create a goal. If pogba had stuck to the plan, over load their defence for the long ball and get back into defensive position without the ball we would be ok, sevilla will not be able to push up and we will always have bodies back when they attack.
Literally this.

Banat

He is just a terrible and useless player. I think he lost every single duel against N'zonzi, even headers. I never had such a strong dislike for United player, can’t wait to get rid

TrueRed79

Man United win percentage with Juan Mata in the team: 82.1%. Man United win percentage without Juan Mata in the team: 41.1%. Had to start along with McTominay and Matic last night. Jose fecked up last night so bad it's unreal. Fellaini is not the answer when we had to win at home in the CL. Can't actually believe we lost that game.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Man United win percentage with Juan Mata in the team: 82.1%. Man United win percentage without Juan Mata in the team: 41.1%. Had to start along with McTominay and Matic last night. Jose fecked up last night so bad it's unreal. Fellaini is not the answer when we had to win at home in the CL. Can't actually believe we lost that game.
And more to the point - Sanchez plays better when Mata is in the team.

SqueakyWeasel

And more to the point - Sanchez plays better when Mata is in the team.
This is the point everyone is missing along with the fact that it took until HT for Seville to realize that there was no point continuing with their original containment plan as we were posing no threat going forward.

Any truth to the runout that Morinho desperately wants Fellaini to sign the contract, offering double the money, that has been in front of him since October (cnut*) and one of the big Belgians stalling points is that he must start more than half of our matches when fit?

Do you think, if true, that Jose thought this should have been a walkover with or without him?

*If that is true I think that anyone who refuses an offer to resign should just have their contract shredded immediately! It’s another way in which Jose doesn’t understand the brevity of his position.

red devil whitey

Fellani was a terrible signing for United, a very clumsy player at times. But why oh why start him after hes been near absent for nearly four months and then all of a sudden hes chucked into an important champions league game. Fair enough if we done the job on sevillas turf like liverpool did to porto but when yous 2 shots on goal in the first game is it wise to start fellani in ur 2nds hes hardly creative

Irrational.

I think the decision to start Fellaini is up there with the Nick Powell sub in terms of most baffling CL decisions of all time by a United manager.

Was utterly hopeless.

I hope the pecking order for the United midfield now reads:

Matic
McTominay
Pogba
Herrera
Carrick
Out of position Lingard
Out of position Mata
Fellaini

theREDMAN

Pogba actually was much worse when he came on.

So I'm not sure if it would have been any better if he started.
Pogba is only playing like this because he is pouting because he obviously don’t agree with Mourihno’s tactics and the fact that he brought in Alexis and didn’t get his buddy Griezmann. The 4321 DONT suit Pogba and Alexis comes into his areas every chance he gets. If Alexis was Anthony Martial, he would’ve been benched a week ago at least. We all know Pogba is extremely talented but it is obvious he isn’t giving his all. I believe Jose will try to sell him.

I have supported Jose up until last night. That was UNACCEPTABLE and quite frankly embarrassing. Then to top it off he makes his comments in the presser basically trolling the very club he works for. Sad truth is there aren’t any managers out there available who could handle our mess at the moment. The guy we need and needed is sitting across town with a big grin and open checkbook.