g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
It's clear that Arteta was looking for a proven PL player over any cheaper options from abroad. There aren't many options to choose from, Caicedo will also cost similar numbers and it appears Rice was chosen over him due to his leadership quality.

Judas

Open to offers
Why is it weird?

I appreciate that City are clearly the better side and are coming off the greatest season ever from a Premier League side.

But after them, who else could he have gone to?

We play in London, which is seemingly a big plus for Rice and his young family.

Plus the age demographic of our squad is currently superb. We have only one key player, in Partey (30), that's over 27 years of age - and he may well be off anyway. So the majority of our players could all be playing together for several years.
I suppose I'm not convinced that you can repeat the form of the season just gone again, if you do then fair play it all makes sense.

scottser

any hammers fans on here have any inkling as to how you're going to spend that lovely wad of cash?
if sir would like to step this way, we happen to have a nice selection of current and former internationals at very reasonable prices for consideration..

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This is the kind of signing Manchester United used to make under Ferguson. Think Rio, Carrick, Rooney etc. Big money England internationals, pre-prime age. As an Arsenal fan I always used to think "bloody hell that's a lot of money" but all of them went on to become key players in multiple trophy winning teams.

Rice is expensive because he's a lock. He's a cracking player, well established as one of England's best midfielders and proven in the Premier League. We will get 5-7 good years out of him at a minimum. He will strengthen a team that just finished 2nd with its highest goals tally since the Premier League began. It's OK for us to be excited.

To be honest it is an insane role reversal to be watching United fans talking about how Arsenal are spending too much on a player. Too much? I've lived through a lot of Marouane Chamakhs. I simply do not care.
"PL proven" isn't the bulletproof safety net people make it out to be.

And I'm speaking from experience.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
"PL proven" isn't the bulletproof safety net people make it out to be. And I'm speaking from experience.
Yeah that's fair, and we've had enough Silvetres from United and Willians from you to know this is the case... but no transfer is a guarantee. Rice doesn't seem far off, to me.

Skills

Snitch
This is the kind of signing Manchester United used to make under Ferguson. Think Rio, Carrick, Rooney etc. Big money England internationals, pre-prime age. As an Arsenal fan I always used to think "bloody hell that's a lot of money" but all of them went on to become key players in multiple trophy winning teams.

Rice is expensive because he's a lock. He's a cracking player, well established as one of England's best midfielders and proven in the Premier League. We will get 5-7 good years out of him at a minimum. He will strengthen a team that just finished 2nd with its highest goals tally since the Premier League began. It's OK for us to be excited.

To be honest it is an insane role reversal to be watching United fans talking about how Arsenal are spending too much on a player. Too much? I've lived through a lot of Marouane Chamakhs. I simply do not care.
feck is he in the category of a Rio or a Rooney :lol:

This is someone who couldn't make it though Chelsea's youth system - and you're trying to compare him to 2 prodigious talents.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
Rooney was a freak and not really comparable with anyone, but Rio is a perfect analogue really. Rio was 22 and had proven very little (and won nothing) but clearly had great ability and promise. Rice is a bit older but, equally, more established.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

He does not have Rio or Rooney’s talent. He is a better version of Carrick (before we signed him) and Carrick wasn’t a big money signing. But I maintain Rice is still worth it. Havertz is the one you overpaid for imo, I rate Rice much more highly than Havertz.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
These are categories that Rice was ranked in, across the entire league, last season:

Carries - 2nd (400)
Distance covered - 1st (7.6km)
Pressured Carries - 4th (273)
Defenders bypassed - 4th (214)
Defenders taken on - 24th (97)

Granted he played a lot of games, so really only distance covered was on a average per game stat.

But regardless, he couldn't get much higher then where he placed. IMO it suggests that the idea he's not very good on the ball is overblown.

Hammondo

These are categories that Rice was ranked in, across the entire league, last season:

Carries - 2nd (400)

Granted he played a lot of games, so really only distance covered was on a average per game stat.

But regardless, he couldn't get much higher then where he placed. IMO it suggests that the idea he's not very good on the ball is overblown.
I hate these statistics, in no way do they indicate if his carries were in any way positive. You see so many players run into corners or into a crap position only to pass it onto someone else in a crap position.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Carries - 2nd (400)

Not sure where you got the stats from, distance covered os obviously wrong. That's Messi like numbers for distance covered.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I hate these statistics, in no way do they indicate if his carries were in any way positive. You see so many players run into corners or into a crap position only to pass it onto someone else in a crap position.
Watching Rice will tell you he isn't a mazy dribbler that dribbles into corners or holds onto the ball too long. His dribbles are to create some space and surge forward from deep, before releasing.

You're right in the it doesn't show their effectiveness though, but I'd rather him be high on these lists then not.

lex talionis

Rice is a solid acquisition for Arsenal, but he is not in Carrick’s league as a midfielder.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Not sure where you got the stats from, distance covered os obviously wrong. That's Messi like numbers for distance covered.
Off Charles Watts Youtube review of transfers.

I thought it was really low and maybe should have been miles instead.

But I realise what it is now - it's total distance covered with the carries. Not distance covered throughout the course of entire games.

Idxomer

Watching Rice will tell you he isn't a mazy dribbler that dribbles into corners or holds onto the ball too long. His dribbles are to create some space and surge forward from deep, before releasing.

You're right in the it doesn't show their effectiveness though, but I'd rather him be high on these lists then not.
He can carry the ball for a West Ham team that plays low block, and the opponents leave space for them to attack. Will he do it when teams are camped in their half against Arsenal? That remains to be seen, but his dribbling stats are nothing special.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He can carry the ball for a West Ham team that plays low block, and the opponents leave space for them to attack. Will he do it when teams are camped in their half against Arsenal? That remains to be seen, but his dribbling stats are nothing special.
Playing in a low block would suggest that the opposition has been pushed up and is pressuring them, hence why they're in a low block.

Let's see how it goes when he has much more space ahead of him as opposition teams are playing in the low block. I doubt we will be asking him to try and penetrate opposition defenses though. Really his dribbles/carries are mostly following him winning the ball back and gaining some ground when the opposition is kind of out of position. Ideally he'd win it back and pass it off quickly to Saka, Odegaard, etc.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
He’s got the fourth highest pressured carries in the league.

Yakuza_devils

I thought Arsenal have very strict wage cap? How can they compete with the likes of City and Bayern to get Rice? Surely Rice want higher wages and has a say where he wants to go even though Arsenal bid the highest?

red.knight

I don't get it, it must be desperation or something. Rice is ok as a player - but 105 million? No way. Just crazy. Arsenal are a strange club. Thought he would go to the best team in Europe, City. He probably will regret soon enough.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
I don't get it, it must be desperation or something. Rice is ok as a player - but 105 million? No way. Just crazy. Arsenal are a strange club. Thought he would go to the best team in Europe, City. He probably will regret soon enough.
Apart from the whole London thing being a factor, City do have 115 charges hanging over them, with all sorts of consequences up to and including relegation theoretically possible - as well as the potential of Pep leaving by 2025. Smart players will bear these kinds of factors in mind and not just be blinded by the wave of praise and hype City are riding after winning The Treble

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I thought Arsenal have very strict wage cap? How can they compete with the likes of City and Bayern to get Rice? Surely Rice want higher wages and has a say where he wants to go even though Arsenal bid the highest?
Estimates say he’ll be on £200k - £250k. Saka type money. And if he (and Saka) stay and renew, they’re likely to jump to £300k - £350k. Leaving Haaland aside, that is top-level money. I think your view may have been skewed by the likes of Sancho. I have no idea why he’s one of the highest earners in the league. I’m sure he would have walk away from the deal if you had offered him significantly less.

red.knight

Apart from the whole London thing being a factor, City do have 115 charges hanging over them, with all sorts of consequences up to and including relegation theoretically possible - as well as the potential of Pep leaving by 2025. Smart players will bear these kinds of factors in mind and not just be blinded by the wave of praise and hype City are riding after winning The Treble
Rice's affinity for London could certainly be a factor, but in my opinion Arsenal’s 100 million fixed bid is the reason that puts them in the position to have to outbid City and overpay. At Arsenal he is a guaranteed starter.... Wasn't sure how Rodri and Rice would have played together... now we will never know.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
The difference now though is we're back in CL, hopefully for more than a season. We had people like Ozil and Auba on top level wages despite no CL for 7 years, which really hurt our bottom line.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Arguing with a pal about Rice.
He reckons Rice is way more than a holding player and is the nearest thing to Robson and Keane for years :annoyed:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I keep repeating this. Arsenal operates in a different manner to other clubs. Stability and continuity is valued ahead of pleasing the masses and folding to outside pressure.
:lol:

FeelingDangerous

Supports
Arsenal
£105m is an overpay.

I’m not losing sleep over it, though. I think it’s an extremely low risk purchase, we know exactly what we’re getting and I think it’s an important cog of our midfield sorted for the next decade or so. Odegaard and Rice are a superb two thirds of a dominant midfield trio: both young and tied (imminently) to long contracts. Extremely happy with that business.

I expect Arteta to bring him on further than what we’ve seen, as well. I’m not sure how he’s viewed by the wider footballing community but I think Arteta has near universally won the Arsenal fanbase over and has our trust, not only in handling the club but in the development of players on an individual basis.

Thats the resounding sentiment I have when speaking with Gooner pals. Questions are posed: Havertz, really? Rice, £105m? Most will shrug their shoulders and say they trust Artetas judgement.

What a difference twelve months make, eh?

With respect to salary I think paying Saka has proven we're willing to pay the going rate for what we view elite talents. I expect Odegaard to receive a similar contract this Summer. Rice is allegedly going to be on £250k/wk. After the "Great Purge" our wages are around £150/170m less than our competition, that's a lot of upward movement to push into when renegotiating these young players contracts and signing new talent. I suspect there's a glass ceiling to what we can do, but we're not there yet.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Giggsy13

It's clear that Arteta was looking for a proven PL player over any cheaper options from abroad. There aren't many options to choose from, Caicedo will also cost similar numbers and it appears Rice was chosen over him due to his leadership quality.
Maguire was a “proven PL player” as well…

philippexyz

Statement signing from Arsenal. Redefinition of a club. Transfer sum record for a British player. They're going in the right direction.

After championships for Rams(NFL), Avalanche(NHL) and Nuggets(NBA), Kroenke is likely going to add a championship from another sport/league soon.

Red Rash

He reckons Rice is way more than a holding player and is the nearest thing to Robson and Keane for years :annoyed:
I think in terms of ability and potential level he is closer to someone like Carrick. Very good player who will do well but not reaching the level of the most elite forward players.

I know you are probably more referring to style but I mean in terms of how good a player he is and can be.

ShinjiNinja26

I think in terms of ability and potential level he is closer to someone like Carrick. Very good player who will do well but not reaching the level of the most elite forward players.

I know you are probably more referring to style but I mean in terms of how good a player he is and can be.
I agree for the most even though for the most part even though I take the piss but he’s not going to be Carrick level. He was brilliant and extremely underrated.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Don't kill me but...He's similar to Keane in terms of attributes and seems to have the right mindset to achieve his potential. If he fulfills his potential, he'll be up there as one of the best midfield generals in PL. I'm inclined to agree with your mate and also think his overall game is very underrated. Another thing in common with Keane is the Irish thingy and being a boyhood fan of a London club(Keane was a Spurs fan).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Don't kill me but...He's similar to Keane in terms of attributes and seems to have the right mindset to achieve his potential. If he fulfills his potential, he'll be up there as one of the best midfield generals in PL. I'm inclined to agree with your mate and also think his overall game is very underrated. Another thing in common with Keane is the Irish thingy and being a boyhood fan of a London club(Keane was a Spurs fan).
I hadn’t really thought of this as Keane was really unique but maybe there is some truth in it and maybe that’s secretly the reason why I like Rice so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.