Declan Rice | Switches international allegiance to England four years ago

cyberman

Not his finest hour. Looked incredibly lethargic and off the pace tonight, which is bizarre, for West Ham he usually looks athletic and lasts the course so that's surprising to see. Critique of his buildup is one thing but to see him lacking legs and energy was strange.

His ball carrying is usually much better and we didn't see any of that. In fact I think for England he doesn't show enough of that compared to at West Ham. It's like the only thing he is expected to do is stand between the centre backs, which really isn't enough against a team you're supposed to beat
He hasn’t played that well for West Ham for a while now. If it isn’t v a big side, backs against the wall then he fades away in matches he should be stepping up in

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've said it for years, the West Ham setup is perfectly suited to his qualities. Anything outside of that comfort zone he looks bang average.

He needs no space behind him, space ahead to carry the ball.

Put him in a situation where he is trying to play through teams and he has no experience or answers to that.

All this talk of him being worth 100m+ is absolutely bonkers. He's solid in the tackle and does a decent job of cutting out balls into the box, but that's about it.

Abraxas

To be fair it's only West Ham, Moyes etc talking up a 100 mill price tag. Not a surprise that a selling club does that, is it?

There hasn't been much interest in prising him away at those levels so I don't get why it's constantly hanging over his head and everything is judged in relation to that. He's clearly not rated at 100 million in the market at present so who cares. Declan is a good player and will probably leave when his contractual position forces West Ham's hand.

saivet

Moyes talking up his transfer fee once again

:rolleyes:
They must be determined to force him out on a free transfer. I think he's a very good player but I'm not sure there is a club out there mad enough to meeting their crazy demands for a fee.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They must be determined to force him out on a free transfer. I think he's a very good player but I'm not sure there is a club out there mad enough to meeting their crazy demands for a fee.
I reckon he goes for 60-70m in his final year

Although someone is probably stupid enough to pay £150m

Reddevildans

Overrated. All he's got is a very good engine, age, good fitness record and positional skills. Apart from that would stay very clear. Worth about 40m. 60m if you include overpaying. Whenever I've seen him his passing is sidewards, especially for England.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Overrated. All he's got is a very good engine, age, good fitness record and positional skills. Apart from that would stay very clear. Worth about 40m. 60m if you include overpaying. Whenever I've seen him his passing is sidewards, especially for England.
I couldn't agree more with this.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He was very good last night, literally ran himself into the ground and broke up play and set up WHU counters.

Looked like a strong, solid CM. Is he worth £100m? No. Is any player? No.

Should we look at him as a potential player to play alongside Casemiro in bigger games? Sure.

Robbie Boy

Spot on. He would come in for serious criticism if he makes a big money move, as his limitations will be exposed.

RuudTom83

He is a very limited footballer…the fees quoted are typical bs from the English media.

If Ole was still the manager United might be tempted but luckily for us EtH isn’t that stupid.

ForeverRed1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64527198

Declan Rice fee would 'blow British record out of water' if he leaves West Ham, says David Moyes
He should just wait until his contract is up and leave for nothing. Surely they should wait until clubs actually come in for him and negotiate.. or is it literally going to just be about who will pay 107million + for him? What if he doesn’t want to go there? It’s pure greed at this point and stupid money.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He should just wait until his contract is up and leave for nothing. Surely they should wait until clubs actually come in for him and negotiate.. or is it literally going to just be about who will pay 107million + for him? What if he doesn’t want to go there? It’s pure greed at this point and stupid money.
I think he'll just go in his last year for 60m or so. West Ham are hoping to get their pay day but I doubt they'll let him leave for free so they'll accept half of his supposed value. They may even accept 80m this summer if someone calls their bluff

Moyes is just posturing

twitter thread suggester
My view on his technical ability changed a bit after this video:

ForeverRed1

I think he'll just go in his last year for 60m or so. West Ham are hoping to get their pay day but I doubt they'll let him leave for free so they'll accept half of his supposed value. They may even accept 80m this summer if someone calls their bluff

Moyes is just posturing
That’s true. He would only have to stay another season to walk out for free and take his pick so I’m sure they’ll want to sell up this summer. Will be interesting to see where he goes? Chelsea surely don’t need him now after spending so much on enzo and surely they won’t have the budget. My money is on arsenal or maybe even Newcastle flexing their muscles.

scottser

How much less would he be worth if he was Irish?
I remember reading one of the later 'secret footballer' books where he discourages a young Irish player from declaring for Ireand on the basis that professionally, 1 English cap is worth more than 50 Irish caps. Unfortunately this is probably true. Given when the book came out he might have been referring to either Rice or Grealish.
If he's picked up for 60m, it's good value imo. He's a solid professional and will improve further with a better coach than David fukn Moyes.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’ll go to a top club and people will realise how good he is. He won’t ever be a metronomic passer but he’s brilliant at breaking up play and he knits it together well.

Last edited:

Abraxas

Moyes has to say this stuff really. He's West Ham's prize asset and they know they're getting down to danger time as far as losing a grip on the situation. It's probably time to sell and therefore they're setting their position out, but it'll probably have to come back down to earth. Unless Chelsea get involved.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Teetotal shitter. Completely overrated. Moyes quotes about him requiring a British record fee....Christ I hope someone who isn't United pays it. Would love if he went to Liverpool. Harry Maguire of midfield.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Please Chelsea, one more dance. Bring him in. Flex your muscles !

Bwuk

He'd be a good signing for us, but I don't think he'd come anywhere close to justifying that price tag for anyone.

Kaos

Bellingham is the one we should be worried about moving to a rival, not arsed about Rice. Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool can battle it out all they want. Hopefully for a record fee too.

redmeister

Rice and Bellingham tell us something about the quality of players around. It's not just an English thing, but the current crop all over the world are a particularly disappointing vintage. I'd say we are currently seeing the worst generation of footballers I'm aware of. Compare the best U28 year olds to those a decade ago and then a decade before that and so on. They really are rubbish. I'm not saying Bellingham isn't a really good young player, but he's not exactly the next Robson, Gazza, Gerrard or Scholes. Rice is even less of a stand out. I'd take a young Carrick over Rice any day of the week.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Rice and Bellingham tell us something about the quality of players around. It's not just an English thing, but the current crop all over the world are a particularly disappointing vintage. I'd say we are currently seeing the worst generation of footballers I'm aware of. Compare the best U28 year olds to those a decade ago and then a decade before that and so on. They really are rubbish. I'm not saying Bellingham isn't a really good young player, but he's not exactly the next Robson, Gazza, Gerrard or Scholes. Rice is even less of a stand out. I'd take a young Carrick over Rice any day of the week.
Utter horse shit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Like the player, he wouldn't suit a pairing with Casemiro in the slightest so not really relevant to us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I see the hype has died down around Rice now that WH aren't over performing anymore.

That's why it's important not to make rash decisions on teams in good form. He's still a solid but average midfielder.

They were stupid asking for a world record fee at that stage, if they settled for a bit less they probably could have got 70m for him :lol: idiots.

FriedClams

He's a terrific player and seems like a really good lad. Fits our ethos perfectly IMO.