Declan Rice

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Surely if we came knocking and he had to choose between Arsenal and us, he would choose us? We are a bigger club than Arsenal and he would slot right into our midfield knowing it's probably Case's last season here. Problem is we wasted the bulk of the budget unnecessarily on Mount - a player we don't need.
He wanted to stay in London for his family. If he didn't have issues with Chelsea, i'm sure he'd have signed for them if Arsenal didn't pay. As big as you are, some criterias are out of your control.

Zen

Surely if we came knocking and he had to choose between Arsenal and us, he would choose us? We are a bigger club than Arsenal and he would slot right into our midfield knowing it's probably Case's last season here. Problem is we wasted the bulk of the budget unnecessarily on Mount - a player we don't need.
If United stood any chance of getting him, it would of been when they got Casemiro, not this summer, zero chance. His heart and head was clearly set on Arsenal, for a fair few reasons too.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
If United stood any chance of getting him, it would of been when they got Casemiro, not this summer, zero chance. His heart and head was clearly set on Arsenal, for a fair few reasons too.
Yes it seems Rice really wanted to work with Arteta. He felt he’d be the best manager to progress his career. In interviews he’s done since he moved, he spouts Arteta as the main reason he favoured the move.

Kostov

We blew our budget on Casemiro and overpaying on shit players like Antony, therefor had to resort to loaning a midfielder from Fiorentina. If we had the money and the sense that Casemiro was on a decline we would have been in for Rice, then London and Arteta would have been irrelevant.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I’ll flip the ‘What If’s’ on its head. What if we had managed to sign Martinez instead of Zinchenko that summer? How much better defensively would we have been?

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Zinny just doesnt work some games and against a Salah it is very bad choice, but then again we don't have a whole lot of options right now. I wonder if Zinny would have played if Tomi was available. Zinny otherwise does a fairly good job inverting and helping out Rice.

I think we are fine defensively myself. Just need to keep what we have and keep plugging away. A steady reliable backline is always your foundation of your long term success imo.

mancsarered

We blew our budget on Casemiro and overpaying on shit players like Antony, therefor had to resort to loaning a midfielder from Fiorentina. If we had the money and the sense that Casemiro was on a decline we would have been in for Rice, then London and Arteta would have been irrelevant.
If you offered me Rice/Elanga over Antony/Casemiro right now, I'd snap your hand off. This time last year, I'd lean the other way. That's football - I just hope we start getting these decisions right with new football people in charge.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Zinny just doesnt work some games and against a Salah it is very bad choice, but then again we don't have a whole lot of options right now. I wonder if Zinny would have played if Tomi was available. Zinny otherwise does a fairly good job inverting and helping out Rice.

I think we are fine defensively myself. Just need to keep what we have and keep plugging away. A steady reliable backline is always your foundation of your long term success imo.
Yes Zinchenko is a necessary addition to this Arsenal team.

Like Jorginho he gives Arsenal a creative option from deeper, supporting Odegaard’s freedom to roam more in midfield (dropping and advancing) and allowing Rice the freedom to do what he does best (screening the backline and using his timing and interception to advance play).

Also, Zinchenko will be important for the majority league games played where the opposition sit back but do not have enough quality to hurt consistently you in transition. Teams need to be given an incentive to take risks and attack Arsenal and he can be seen as that incentive.

For the bigger games, you have Tomiyasu and Timber in that role to provide both the defensive organisation and inverting option as well.

On the main topic of Rice, I don’t think he goes anywhere else but Arsenal, no matter who is in the race. I keep seeing some Liverpool and some United fans saying had they had the cash they would have got him, and I think that’s nonsense.

Rice was always going to Arsenal, end of story. Best bet is factoring in London as the reason.

Last edited:

Joel Miller

One thing I have noticed watching him is he needs to do an awful lot more than most players to get a booking. Having a player in your midfield who’s given free rein to foul is always an advantage.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
One thing I have noticed watching him is he needs to do an awful lot more than most players to get a booking. Having a player in your midfield who’s given free rein to foul is always an advantage.
Is this...fachts?

Kostov

If you offered me Rice/Elanga over Antony/Casemiro right now, I'd snap your hand off. This time last year, I'd lean the other way. That's football - I just hope we start getting these decisions right with new football people in charge.
I think I’d have taken the Rice deal, I rated him highly and Antony I never thought he is worth it.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Rice wanted Chelsea. It fell to pieces because they did.

Ludens the Red

That’s the standard referee/English player darling bias. Happened with Terry, Gerrard, Kane, Saka etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That’s the standard referee/English player darling bias. Happened with Terry, Gerrard, Kane, Saka etc.
Did they get more of a free pass to foul with impunity that than the Brazilian midfielders we’ve had in this league? Lucas Leiva, Ramires, Fernandinho, Fabinho etc.

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm not to bothered about spending 70m of casemiro, he was a big player for us last season and I think he will be this season too (when he returns).

What's more annoying is that we go rid of Elanga and got a direct replacement in Antony for 80m, arguably a worse player actually. That money could've been used for Rice.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Jesus, check your numbers before posting inane nonsense. He's 120+ on the list when it comes to fouls committed with 14, fecking 14 fouls.

Ludens the Red

Did they get more of a free pass to foul with impunity that than the Brazilian midfielders we’ve had in this league? Lucas Leiva, Ramires, Fernandinho, Fabinho etc.
yeah I’d say so. Those players you mentioned deffo got away with a lot but deffo not more than Terry, Gerrard, Kane and going further back Shearer.

Jesus, check your numbers before posting inane nonsense. He's 120+ on the list when it comes to fouls committed with 14, fecking 14 fouls.
Erm isn’t that sort of the point…

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
yeah I’d say so. Those players you mentioned deffo got away with a lot but deffo not more than Terry, Gerrard, Kane and going further back Shearer.

Erm isn’t that sort of the point…
The point was yellow cards. He has 2, so one every 7 fouls which is pretty par for the course unless you're a really bad tackler.

Rice's isn't 'getting away' with anything, he's just a terrific reader of the game so doesn't have to tackle as much, and hence doesn't get carded as much. Can't believe this has to be spelt out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I have this gut feeling that Rice will see out his contract at Arsenal and come home to where he belongs when he’s bang in the middle of his prime.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I have this gut feeling that Rice will see out his contract at Arsenal and come home to where he belongs when he’s bang in the middle of his prime.
Doubt the Championship would be too much of a lure tbh.

Marwood

Is he playing tonight?
He's doing his job and doing it efficiently as usual.

Problem is in a game like this his job isn't really enough. Or not needed so much.

2 down trying to break a lesser team down and he's not really involved in that effort.

This is why you don't spend £100 million on this kind of DM. You spend that on a goalscorer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I will not be gaslit into being convinced he will ever be worth 105 million british pounds.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's doing his job and doing it efficiently as usual.

Problem is in a game like this his job isn't really enough. Or not needed so much.

2 down trying to break a lesser team down and he's not really involved in that effort.

This is why you don't spend £100 million on this kind of DM. You spend that on a goalscorer.
Nah. A player like him is imperative for the best clubs. He's the type who helps you dominate every game, cuts out opposition counters more often, pushes you higher up the pitch and the opposition further back as a result. Take him out and Arsenal are much more open and west Ham are having a lot more of the game than just 26% possession and a handful of shots in the game.

bosnian_red

I will not be gaslit into being convinced he will ever be worth 105 million british pounds.
Nobody is. But of those that have went for those sort of numbers, he is far closer to being worth it than pretty much anybody else bar Mbappe

Marwood

Nah. A player like him is imperative for the best clubs. He's the type who helps you dominate every game, cuts out opposition counters more often, pushes you higher up the pitch and the opposition further back as a result. Take him out and Arsenal are much more open and west Ham are having a lot more of the game than just 26% possession and a handful of shots in the game.
I dont think he's making any difference to West Ham's possession. Arsenal are just on top as a team in that respect.

Agree he's an important player, just not £100 million important.

In this situation tonight he's basically watching his teammates try and get his team back in the game. He can't affect West Ham's box.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nobody is. But of those that have went for those sort of numbers, he is far closer to being worth it than pretty much anybody else bar Mbappe
In what way is he closer to being worth it? Kane is the only player I think you could say has been worth his massive transfer fee. He's been lauded as this pivotal player who's had as much impact as Partey, so far.

bosnian_red

I dont think he's making any difference to West Ham's possession. Arsenal are just on top as a team in that respect.

Agree he's an important player, just not £100 million important.

In this situation tonight he's basically watching his teammates try and get his team back in the game. He can't affect West Ham's box.
He's 100m because he's a player who is always fit, only 24, and will be around the best in the world in his role for the next 5 years, so he'll play every game in a very hard role. If there's any 100m well spent, it's on someone like that. Spending big on old players is dumb, spending big on injury prone players is dumb, spending big on players who aren't capable of being one of the best around in their roles is dumb, spending big on replaceable players is dumb. Rice isn't a replaceable player at all, same with Rodri at City. it's very hard to get guys like that.

Marwood

He's 100m because he's a player who is always fit, only 24, and will be around the best in the world in his role for the next 5 years, so he'll play every game in a very hard role. If there's any 100m well spent, it's on someone like that. Spending big on old players is dumb, spending big on injury prone players is dumb, spending big on players who aren't capable of being one of the best around in their roles is dumb, spending big on replaceable players is dumb. Rice isn't a replaceable player at all, same with Rodri at City. it's very hard to get guys like that.
But Rodri didn't cost £100 million and he's better. Thomas Partey could come in now and replace him.

His passing tonight has been so basic. You need more than that from a £100 million pound midfielder when you're two down at home and looking to win a title. What he's done tonight isn't enough.

bosnian_red

In what way is he closer to being worth it? Kane is the only player I think you could say has been worth his massive transfer fee. He's been lauded as this pivotal player who's had as much impact as Partey, so far.
Kane is 30. You need more than short term success to be worth it at that price. Kane is only successful if they win the CL. Otherwise they can replace him with whoever and they'll still win the Bundesliga every year by default basically (also with Kane now they aren't even top...).

Rice has given Arsenal a lot more dominance in games than Partey, come on. They're actually excellent defensively (generally speaking). A big part of that is rice being in there to give them more control.