Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do we now rate hi? Or still regard him as overrated because he's English

bosskeano

fuking waste of money....until we figure out what pressing system we are going to play or if we are going to strictly be a counter attacking team

if we are the latter, we need athletic guys that can cover space in the midfield which Rice can't do hence why he always plays next to someone in a 2 man holding system

OrcaFat

He is, in my opinion, excellent every time he plays, more or less. He is much better than our current options. He is a leader. Guaranteed we would not lose 0-5 to Liv with him in the team.

I would not be looking for him to do any more than he currently does, I think he is brilliant. Having said that, his attacking contributions have markedly improved which I hope will shut the mouths of people (there were a few, as I recall) who said he wouldn’t improve after age 22. He is top drawer already and by 26 he’ll be England captain and MVP in the league, I bet, and still with five more of his best years ahead.

Shame we didn’t try and get him with Lingard and the Sancho money. I think we would have been a lot better off.

(No offence to Sancho, who will succeed, I’m sure).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do we now rate hi? Or still regard him as overrated because he's English
I think the only way that stops is if an English player goes to Dortmund first. Then the hype starts and everyone doesn't care how much is payed or really who it's for or how it's going to happen.

He is, in my opinion, excellent every time he plays, more or less. He is much better than our current options. He is a leader. Guaranteed we would not lose 0-5 to Liv with him in the team.

I would not be looking for him to do any more than he currently does, I think he is brilliant. Having said that, his attacking contributions have markedly improved which I hope will shut the mouths of people (there were a few, as I recall) who said he wouldn’t improve after age 22. He is top drawer already and by 26 he’ll be England captain and MVP in the league, I bet, and still with five more of his best years ahead.

Shame we didn’t try and get him with Lingard and the Sancho money. I think we would have been a lot better off.

(No offence to Sancho, who will succeed, I’m sure).
I know right? It's literally why I've just started to watch West Ham to see why people literally call him average and overrated because I'm watching matches and this guy is bossing the defensive midfield at the age of 22.

People say he is crap and everything- I genuinely don't think they watch him and get stuck to some Southgate's England version (which has some positives too but is very held back).

reddevilz007

If Ole is still in charge, then Rice would be sitting alongside Sancho and Vdb, since Ole won’t know how to use him, and will continue with McFred.

davidmichael

Been saying it for a couple of years that Rice is exactly what we need in midfield and the fact that Roy Keane says he’s the player that reminds him of himself should be telling seeing as Keane probably has a better idea about midfielders than anyone on here does.

I’m not saying Rice is the answer to all our prayers as whilst Ole is manager we’re not challenging for trophies regardless of who we sign BUT Rice is someone we need as he’s a genuine leader and at 22 years old is only going to get better.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He has been damn good this season.

Will go for a astronomical price.
So who do you think will sign him.
He is very good and improving rapidly.
If you look at the PL, Liverpool could go for him as a Henderson replacement.
But we certainly need him badly and should be able to afford him.

wolvored

If Ole is still in charge, then Rice would be sitting alongside Sancho and Vdb, since Ole won’t know how to use him, and will continue with McFred.
Agreed. He would gradually turn to shit as well with not being coached properly

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Genuine improvement or just good form? we shall see.

Still can't see him being sold though so pointless getting excited.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He's joining Chelsea next year lads.
I think it would be his preference and if they were to move on kante or jorghino it would potentially be a good fit for both parties.

That said if Chelsea don't move somebody on they really don't need him whilst I think he would be much more pivotal for us so a big offer ... possibly a new manager by then who really wants him... he's not the only player around who would improve our midfield but pl proven English young and for sure a big upgrade on 2021 matic

Maniron

So who do you think will sign him.
He is very good and improving rapidly.
If you look at the PL, Liverpool could go for him as a Henderson replacement.
But we certainly need him badly and should be able to afford him.
If he leaves he will go to Chelsea

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He is absolutely the player we need. People underrate him, because he's overpriced, but the price is pretty irrelevant when it comes to how good he would be for the team. He's absolutely bossing it in the toughest league in the world, and plays for a team that has no financial pressure to sell. He'll cost a fortune, but he's a sure thing; and everything we are missing. Rice plus a metronomic playmaker is what this team needs, regardless of who the manager is. Shipping out Pogba and Van Der Beek, will helps balance the books (in terms of wages not fees). That player to play alongside him you want in the Verratti/Modric mold, or another player of excellent technical ability and a powerhouse game. Like Tchouameni.

That's the summer we need. Rice and Tchouameni.

MasterCode

Feel that he would be a Maguire-like signing. Decent and an improvement over what we have, but extremely overpriced and not as good as what City/Liverpool buy on foreign markets (for example Rodri and Fabinho).
I agree, he strikes me as the sort of player who will struggle once he makes the step up. Said similar about Maguire and Sancho got laughed out of rooms (I do feel Sancho will become good just going to take time).

At the Euros I was more impressed with Phillips than Rice in the middle but pundits raved on about Declan. He's not a bad player by no stretch of the imagination, he's an important player for West Ham does great for them. However, the writings on the wall for the top club who go in big for him imo.

More shrewed signings like Florian Neuhaus, Joan Jordan less pressure signings and are very good players with way less risk.

Last edited:

Green_Red

I said previously he isn't better than what we currently have, but that's not true anymore. He would be a significant improvement and is only 22.

Sviken

Feel that he would be a Maguire-like signing. Decent and an improvement over what we have, but extremely overpriced and not as good as what City/Liverpool buy on foreign markets (for example Rodri and Fabinho).
I agree, he strikes me as the sort of player who will struggle once he makes the step up. Said similar about Maguire and Sancho got laughed out of rooms (I do feel Sancho will become good just going to take time).

At the Euros I was more impressed with Phillips than Rice in the middle but pundits raved on about Declan. He's not a bad player by no stretch of the imagination, he's an important player for West Ham does great for them. However, the writings on the wall for the top club who go in big for him imo.

More shrewed signings like Florian Neuhaus, Joan Jordan less pressure signings and are very good players with way less risk.
Wholeheartedly agree with these two posters. We need to look for outside players that would cost twice as less, but be of similar quality. We have to stop overpaying on players. Even if he proves as good as he is, that's still not a good transfer model that we should encourage. Surely there are players in France, Italy, Spain that would be a huge upgrade over what we have without breaking the bank.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The reason I like him is because he plays like this "false CB".

He kind of allows a team to have a 3rd CB in a 4231 system and yet he is able to come out in to midfield when that is needed too.

The other player that does that is Frenkie De Jong during his Ajax days when Ten Hag managed him who is technically excellent when doing it (I'm sure this still happens at Barca).
Well I don’t really want him if we want to go for 433 or 4231 attacking, as I don’t think he offer much in build up play, other than being defensive solid and good positioning, plus he is hugely overpriced you know. Euro last summer shows he is quite limited as a player, especially for 100m price tag, and the Italians midfielders are so much better and all round than him in comparison, as England got totally outplayed by Italians in midfield, remember?

But if we were to go for new 352 formation instead, signing him would make more sense, as he could play both DM and CB role quite well, it’s like one signing to cover 2 key position.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is very good and complete player too. Obviously he will be priced out of the move but he is quality player.

Bebestation

Sancho is not "failing" here because he had to make a step up - he is struggling here because he has to adapt from the free spaces given in Germany to the tight spaces given in the PL and the league in general. I also didn't rate him that highly and knew he would struggle here but now that he is ours - hope I was wrong and hope that he improves.

Rice to me is a very tactical player at the age of 22. Is reading the game and adapting to the game every 15 seconds. Some people see it and some people don't. It's bloody fantastic.

The only reason people don't rate him is because they see him passing across the back line, back to his defenders and think he is not technical enough or good enough at passing - when infact he is doing this do be very very careful in the way he recycles possesion across the team. He doesn't want to lose possesion.

Not rating Rice is not really a bonkers thing to me anymore - Football has 22 players for you to watch at any given moment and if you don't really understand what Rice is doing then it's kind of easy not to really rate him.

For me this guy said it great.

Reads the game brilliantly - knows when to go, when to sit, when to press, cuts passing lanes...he's just way beyond his years tactically.

Throw in great athleticism, leadership, ball carrying and technical ability and he's a no brainer signing for just about any team.
I can see why people are reluctant for 100 million for Rice, but that's because no CDM is really worth 100 million.

Then they bring up Tchouameni as an alternative who is a good player but is not even a CDM. He is a CM and the opposition routinely get past him and he has to run back to make his tackles like he is wan bissaka in midfield or Fred. He doesn't know how to hold his position. I didn't watch the match but Monaco also got beat 2-0 by Brest yesterday which might highlight that he is not the CDM that people think he might be. Even some of his most valued France International performances have been 15 mins late performances where Pogba turned a gear.

I think if a player like Fabinho was available then sure - no one would be like get Rice over Fabinho but there really doesn't seem to be anymore.

anant

Rate him? Yeah. Not a 100 million player, though.
People dont talk about price, no matter how ridiculous it may be, if the player is a success and stays at the club long enough to justify it.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
People dont talk about price, no matter how ridiculous it may be, if the player is a success and stays at the club long enough to justify it.
So you would want the club to blow more than half of it's budget on one player when there're other areas(RB,CM...) needed to cover?

anant

So you would want the club to blow more than half of it's budget on one player when there're other areas(RB,CM...) needed to cover?
But we dont need many players. And it's better to resolve a position for next 8-10 years instead of signing Schneiderlins and Scheweinsteigers and then having to address those gaps 3 years later. Over long term, it's a much cheaper alternative.

just like Sancho.
Just like him. No one would be talking about his price tag had he scored say 5 goals or something. No one talks about Hazertz's price tag after he helped them win CL

Micky Targaryen

This post isn't discrediting his footballing ability as I don't watch too many West Ham games because of Moyes, but I just wonder why do we always insist on paying hefty English tax on players? Why do we always love recruiting expensive English players like fecking Maguire, AWB, Sancho, and now Rice. Am I missing anyone else? What happened to recruiting cheap foreign talent? Is Rice really the only solution to our DM problems? Are there not any cheaper and better foreign option at DM? Or is there a quote of English players to be filled in our squad, hence our expensive transfer policy?

Bebestation

This post isn't discrediting his footballing ability as I don't watch too many West Ham games because of Moyes, but I just wonder why do we always insist on paying hefty English tax on players? Why do we always love recruiting expensive English players like fecking Maguire, AWB, Sancho, and now Rice. Am I missing anyone else? What happened to recruiting cheap foreign talent? Is Rice really the only solution to our DM problems? Are there not any cheaper and better foreign option at DM? Or is there a quote of English players to be filled in our squad, hence our expensive transfer policy?
Cheaper foreign talent did happen with no English tax -

Bailly, Fred, Lindelof, Sanchez from Arsenal with no English tax, Martial, Schneirderlin etc -

It's not always great as people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.