Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Rice has the number 1 stats for a midfielder in the PL and yet people are still saying he is no good for United but love Fred and McT

Clueless
Clueless is not to change opinions. He upped his game this year, before that season Fred outperformed him slightly in in terms of numbers. It's just his pricetag which makes him ungettable and overpriced, none of the teams will spend 80million on him. Hopefully he doesn't price himself out of a move with some stupid long contract like Kane.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Certainly doing his best to prove those wrong who thought he was a defender and nothing else. Just like he said he would this season. I like his self determination to improve. For me he’d be the number 1 target this summer

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He would get buried under the 100 million tag here. The toxic fans and media would have an absolutely field day criticising his performances every time United dropped points.

If he is smart he will stay well away and go to Chelsea.
yeh. Because Chelse doesn't have toxic fans.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is very good, but pur problems run deeper. If you think Declan Rice himself makes us suddenly a good team, then you are clueless.

He can make a difference in small margin games, but we are completely off everywhere on the pitch. He'd be gassed in a month time here. Having said that, he is a massive improvement on what we have in CM/DM. But a new manager would need to get him and integrate him in his system, as Ole would just throw him in and hope for the best and overplay him without giving two shits about fitness and injuries, see Maguire, Bruno, Rashford and Shaw.
Agree with this, plus the fact that the transfer fee is going to be at least £70m or so. That’s a problem for obvious reasons, namely:

1. He becomes the marque signing for that window (across the country). Anything less than a good start and he’s getting pelters and getting kicked out the NT squad for that period. Which, if we’ve not got a great manager in place and we’re still as disjointed as we are now will be a massive problem; and

2. The budget for other positions will dissipate. It’s become very evident that when the manager is ‘backed’ in a transfer window, they’re looking at a gross kitty of around £100-130m or so.

I do think Rice should definitely be an option we should be considering, but surely there are other pretty good defensive midfielders out there who we’ll be able to attain for a lesser sum? Rice isn’t going to be, say, £30m+ more useful for our team than a defensive midfielder of equal quality in Spain or Italy (who that is I don’t know, it’s probably some scout’s job to tell the club).

EtH

Certainly doing his best to prove those wrong who thought he was a defender and nothing else. Just like he said he would this season. I like his self determination to improve. For me he’d be the number 1 target this summer
Just stump up the cash for him and Tielemans. We would look a completely different side.

Xanther

I can't speak for Chelsea's fans. But they have a system in place to make use of good players, and Utd don't.

I have long held the belief that Utd don't have the tradition of modernisation. We have simply survived 2009-13 off the back of Fergie, and have failed to establish any semblance of modern football for the 8 years after.

What would happen to Rice, is exactly has happened to Pogba.

There is a school of thought amongst football fans who don't support Utd, that suggests that Utd ruin players. Even here, on RedCafe, when Neymar was at Santos, there was a running joke that Fergie shouldn't bother with him because he would try to "workman" him into zombie football.

Utd haven't addressed why this keeps happening, why players like Rice will/would regress to the mean instead.

Litch

Stay where you are, Utd is a graveyard of players that came here good, we turned them into shite and the lose their international place.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I can't speak for Chelsea's fans. But they have a system in place to make use of good players, and Utd don't.

I have long held the belief that Utd don't have the tradition of modernisation. We have simply survived 2009-13 off the back of Fergie, and have failed to establish any semblance of modern football for the 8 years after.

What would happen to Rice, is exactly has happened to Pogba.

There is a school of thought amongst football fans who don't support Utd, that suggests that Utd ruin players. Even here, on RedCafe, when Neymar was at Santos, there was a running joke that Fergie shouldn't bother with him because he would try to "workman" him into zombie football.

Utd haven't addressed why this keeps happening, why players like Rice will/would regress to the mean instead.
You might be right. But the post i was replying to, insinuating that he should go to CHelsea because United have toxic fans.

choccy77

Clueless is not to change opinions. He upped his game this year, before that season Fred outperformed him slightly in in terms of numbers. It's just his pricetag which makes him ungettable and overpriced, none of the teams will spend 80million on him. Hopefully he doesn't price himself out of a move with some stupid long contract like Kane.
He was better last season also

RuudTom83

Chelsea don’t make anywhere near as many headlines as United, and he could go into a winning side similar to Grealish and be somewhat forgotten.

But at United he’s be seen as the saviour by the fans and get ripped to pieces the second a new generational talent comes along (rolls eyes)

Totally fine if you disagree, not trying to convince you, just how I see it.

BlueHaze

@Reapersoul20 Over priced most definitely but not overrated. He's a solid centre mid. He's the type of player we need in the middle of the park rather than the absolute mediocrity we are stuck with. McTominay, Fred, Matic, I mean, fecking hell the midfield is imo the most important area and we don't have a single decent one. Our midfield is getting ran at literally every single game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Chelsea don’t make anywhere near as many headlines as United, and he could go into a winning side similar to Grealish and be somewhat forgotten.

But at United he’s be seen as the saviour by the fans and get ripped to pieces the second a new generational talent comes along (rolls eyes)

Totally fine if you disagree, not trying to convince you, just how I see it.
if he's more worried about what the fans will say to him on online platform, yes, he can go to Chelsea.

Maniron

if he's more worried about what the fans will say to him on online platform, yes, he can go to Chelsea.
Forget the fans and forget the potential fee.

Given we are currently 6 points behind a West Ham team that is flying what could the owners, managers, coaches etc be saying to him now, that would entice him here?

Xanther

You might be right. But the post i was replying to, insinuating that he should go to CHelsea because United have toxic fans.
Haha yeah. I went off topic. My point was our toxicity is strongly related to our disappointment, and the disappointment is rooted in poor coaching. Chelsea fans would absolutely love Rice

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Given we are currently 6 points behind a West Ham team that is flying what could the owners, managers, coaches etc be saying to him now, that would entice him here?
We will drive a lorry full of cash to your house right now

romufc

I cannot see us getting him. We can go for him but no chance we get him.

I am sure he wants to play for a team that will challenge or in the CL at least. At this rate, I can see us finishing 8th.

northernfan

It serves no purpose to discuss bring in any new players until management and coaching get their houses in order. This organizations has no idea what system they can play and be sucessful with. WHY bring in new players? FIX THE PROBLEM.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Kante moved from League winner Leicester to midtable Chelsea (10th). Money talk.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
One ex United player he reminds me a bit of is not Roy Keane - it's Daley Blind (who was again one of my personal favourite United players of all time).

Blind couldn't really get in to play in midfield for us at United, so he eventually went in to the back line.

Many thought he wouldn't be that good against strikers like Lukaku in defence when he did play because he wasn't physically capable - but he was always reading the attack before it had happened and reading the attackers run before it was going to happen because it was the only way he could kind of keep up.

I used to absolutely love watching that and how Blind would read the attack before the attacker themselves had initiated it.

Rice is obviously the opposite- the more physical and robust player that can go on a run unlike Blind so Rice has gone from CB to CDM whilst at United Blind went the other way.

Ultimately they are hybrid CB/CDM players (my favourite players of the game in the last couple of years) and their ability to read the game and the opposition attacks before the attack has happened is very enjoyable to watch because they kind of have to play between the lines to do so.

daveskimufc

Hard to make an argument as to why Rice would even come?!

I mean it’s not a step up is it?
Im sure we can offer more wages, but West Ham will match it for their best player

Maniron

Kante moved from League winner Leicester to midtable Chelsea (10th). Money talk.
Conte had just moved to Chelsea as their new manager. By that stage he was proven and sought after with 3 Series A championships and 2 supercoppa wins. Conte is renowned for his motivational ability and man-management skills. He always demands 100 per cent of his players and is a tough task-master. He makes players better and takes no nonsense in the process.

Compare and contrast to OGS

Himannv

Hard to make an argument as to why Rice would even come?!

I mean it’s not a step up is it?
Im sure we can offer more wages, but West Ham will match it for their best player
Sorry, but regardless of the current situation, Manchester United will always be a step up to West Ham. I'm not saying that as a means of disrespect to West Ham, it just is what it is and will be the case for most EPL clubs outside the biggest 4 or 5 clubs. If we decide to go for him and a bid is accepted, he will definitely come.

Mainoldo

All you shameless guys who said he wasn’t no better than McTominay :lol:

You Cheif’s know who you are. I haven’t forgot.

Unfortunately I think he will go Chelsea.

Xanther

Sorry, but regardless of the current situation, Manchester United will always be a step up to West Ham. I'm not saying that as a means of disrespect to West Ham, it just is what it is and will be the case for most EPL clubs outside the biggest 4 or 5 clubs. If we decide to go for him and a bid is accepted, he will definitely come.
This means jack if (1) he's got a good thing going at West Ham (2) a more reliable club like Chelsea want him instead (3) Utd fail to qualify for the Champions League (4) his currently stable situation keeps him in the England squad

The feeling of security / stability is maybe underrated

The allure of a Premier League contract is, I think, more attractive than the idea of playing for a big club like Utd. Money can trump ambition. If he gets paid well enough, he might not care where he plays

Himannv

This means jack if (1) he's got a good thing going at West Ham (2) a more reliable club like Chelsea want him instead (3) Utd fail to qualify for the Champions League (4) his currently stable situation keeps him in the England squad

The feeling of security / stability is maybe underrated

The allure of a Premier League contract is, I think, more attractive than the idea of playing for a big club like Utd. Money can trump ambition. If he gets paid well enough, he might not care where he plays
I respectfully disagree. I think if United really want him he won't say no regardless of the situation. I'd accept the point about him perhaps choosing a different big club ahead of us, but that's about the only reason he wouldn't join us if we really went in big for him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A year or two with Ole, fans will start calling him Decline Rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.