Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToToMarshall

He’s not ready for a move to a big club yet. He’s so unpolished and we above all the other top 6 sides can’t really afford to have a player like that in such an important position, especially when you consider that for whatever fee he’d cost that would certainly make him the first choice there.

The only side in the top 6 I could really see him working out at from a technical point of view would be Spurs. Poch is a wizard with guys around his age, especially physically gifted ones - he made that donkey Eric Dier look more than decent for a couple of seasons and he’s half as talented as Rice. West Ham would never sell him to Spurs though, and I can’t imagine he’d want that move being a West Ham boy.

Name Changed

weso26
He’s not ready for a move to a big club yet. He’s so unpolished and we above all the other top 6 sides can’t really afford to have a player like that in such an important position, especially when you consider that for whatever fee he’d cost that would certainly make him the first choice there.

The only side in the top 6 I could really see him working out at from a technical point of view would be Spurs. Poch is a wizard with guys around his age, especially physically gifted ones - he made that donkey Eric Dier look more than decent for a couple of seasons and he’s half as talented as Rice. West Ham would never sell him to Spurs though, and I can’t imagine he’d want that move being a West Ham boy.
Disagree completely. He looked a class apart when he played against us. He is phenomenal for his age. His value is only going to increase. He would be a guaranteed started for us if we signed him.

City will probably end up buying him.

dbs235

He was being hyped as a potential world class player and then he switched to England and then all of a sudden it went the other way and people started saying he's not as good as McTominay - a player that many on here were saying is Championship level?

Name Changed

weso26
He was being hyped as a potential world class player and then he switched to England and then all of a sudden it went the other way and people started saying he's not as good as McTominay?
He has improved immensely this season. He is miles better than McTominay.

ToToMarshall

Disagree completely. He looked a class apart when he played against us. He is phenomenal for his age. His value is only going to increase. He would be a guaranteed started for us if we signed him.

Not hard to be fair. If we use that as a marker we’ll have a squad of about 100 players next season.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

He really didn't. I'd go as far to say he is the most overrated player in the league at the moment.

lysglimt

Scout
He is definitely the most overrated player around. Some of his performances have been massively exaggerated.
And I am convinced that in 2-3 years he will be one of the leading players in the national side

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s by far my first choice to replace Matic, for a number of reasons. People want defenders who can’t defend, defensive midfielders who can’t defend - the game is upside down. He’s brilliant, and has done well against many a top side this season. I think he’s a future captain.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He’s by far my first choice to replace Matic, for a number of reasons. People want defenders who can’t defend, defensive midfielders who can’t defend - the game is upside down. He’s brilliant, and has done well against many a top side this season. I think he’s a future captain.
This is so true.

Hughie77

This is the one I'm waiting to find out we get, he's a must I think Herrera has gone.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes

koop

Haven't seen anything from this guy.

How good is he? Best comparison?

The Nani

Yeah, I’ve come around to this signing just as it appears to have lost any traction whatsoever.

Loublaze

ATLien
We have McT to replace Herrera. Ole loves him.
Rice looks a much bigger talent than McTominay and he's 2 years and some change younger. There's space for both, they are not like for like midfielders but I bet Rice will have the more impressive career wherever he ends up

Hawks2008

No one's saying that, I just think people are wary of signing players with average technique. When you consider how poor we are at playing the ball out of defensive areas I think that's fair.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Definitely feels like this one will happen. Not sure why. Could be inspired signing though.

AWB, Rice, Daniel James + a top CB would represent a good summer for us. Wouldn't fix everything but anyone thinking we will fix everything this summer is going to get me up disappointed.

Next summer we could hopefully be able to get Sancho. That would be ideal scenario.

davidmichael

Definitely feels like this one will happen. Not sure why. Could be inspired signing though.

AWB, Rice, Daniel James + a top CB would represent a good summer for us. Wouldn't fix everything but anyone thinking we will fix everything this summer is going to get me up disappointed.

Next summer we could hopefully be able to get Sancho. That would be ideal scenario.
We’d still be a playmaking midfielder and a right sided forward short of what’s needed and our right side is horribly weak so needs a serious uograde.

I agree with the signings you said but I think a top quality right sided attacker needs to be signed on top of those names you said as well.

SER19

I quite like him too. Seems to have a fearless edge to him which we need. Pogba situation needs to be resolved ASAP. We're pogba to leave and we brought in rice and fernandes or rice and felix we might be better in long run. Obviously pogba is superior but it's just not happening here for him

NJM78

Rice looks a much bigger talent than McTominay and he's 2 years and some change younger. There's space for both, they are not like for like midfielders but I bet Rice will have the more impressive career wherever he ends up
I personally do not rate McTominay but I guess he matches the level we are now at.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think this fella has Utd written all over him. Looking at the other top EPL clubs, they are currently decently served at his position.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets

City would never sign such a technically limited player. I have watched him quite a few times and he is like having a CB in midfield.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I quite like him too. Seems to have a fearless edge to him which we need. Pogba situation needs to be resolved ASAP. We're pogba to leave and we brought in rice and fernandes or rice and felix we might be better in long run. Obviously pogba is superior but it's just not happening here for him
Agreed, the need for creativity is not disputable. But Rice is intended for a different role.

And I believe it is happening for Pogba. It’s not happening for the team though. He’s in the team to create, and he manages to do that regularly, despite our team not being creative as a whole.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's not that technically limited. He moves the ball on very quickly and can pass with both feet.
I watched Longstaff and compared to him he does look a little limited. I think Rice is a good player though

Classical Mechanic

I watched Longstaff and compared to him he does look a little limited. I think Rice is a good player though
He doesn't have the passing range but Longstaff is a different kind of player. He operates further forward, scores goals and plays probing passes. Rice is a CB or a defensive shield.

The Nani

We’d still be a playmaking midfielder and a right sided forward short of what’s needed and our right side is horribly weak so needs a serious uograde.

I agree with the signings you said but I think a top quality right sided attacker needs to be signed on top of those names you said as well.
And a striker and a more technical midfielder.

These kids we’re supposedy in for shouldn’t even register in the expected four or five signings.

I’d do something irrational I’d soon regret if that turned out to be our summer.

Cassidy

He doesn't have the passing range but Longstaff is a different kind of player. He operates further forward, scores goals and plays probing passes. Rice is a CB or a defensive shield.
I think thats why people say he is technically limited. Its not a slight on his ability to be a defensive shield, but he is technically limited as a midfielder. We had the issue when we signed Schneiderlin, because we dominate more games, even the defensive shield is expected to have more ability on the ball and play probing passes etc. Matic for instance in his prime is an example, so is Carrick I guess.

Guess it mainly depends on how we want to play, but since at home we will largely dominate most games its a slight concern but not a huge one,

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think thats why people say he is technically limited. Its not a slight on his ability to be a defensive shield, but he is technically limited as a midfielder. We had the issue when we signed Schneiderlin, because we dominate more games, even the defensive shield is expected to have more ability on the ball and play probing passes etc. Matic for instance in his prime is an example, so is Carrick I guess.

Guess it mainly depends on how we want to play, but since at home we will largely dominate most games its a slight concern but not a huge one,
We do not ‘dominate’ nearly as many games as you are implying. We might do if we didn’t allow any old Southampton to pass it around and control the ball at Old Trafford, which Rice will help.

Also, Carrick player in a midfield two for us, and Matic was never a real creator, especially not here. In a midfield two, I agree that the expectations would be different. I think that since the 3 man midfield came in though, teams can easily accommodate a ball winner and screener if they are very good at it. And Rice is good on the ball anyway, far tidier in possession than a McTominay for example. And he has plenty of scope to show more in possession, given he’s only 20.

Cassidy

We do not ‘dominate’ nearly as many games as you are implying. We might do if we didn’t allow any old Southampton to pass it around and control the ball at Old Trafford, which Rice will help.

Also, Carrick player in a midfield two for us, and Matic was never a real creator, especially not here. In a midfield two, I agree that the expectations would be different. I think that since the 3 man midfield came in though, teams can easily accommodate a ball winner and screener if they are very good at it. And Rice is good on the ball anyway, far tidier in possession than a McTominay for example. And he has plenty of scope to show more in possession, given he’s only 20.
I'm talking about at Chelsea and also Benfica by the way, and I don't mean creator as in making assists, but Matic range of passing and probing passing was essential for Chelsea, he wasn't just a destroyer.

I agree that we don't dominate most games, but listening to Ole it seems we want to and the major issue we could have is a midfielder in there that doesn't have the requisite passing range.

Having said that its very much down to how we want to play and also, its a slight concern but not a huge one.

Getting back to the point I was originally addressing though, I think it is fair to say Rice is technically limited as a midfielder, its not a slight really its just not his game, and yes he could develop, but he doesn't seem to have that natural ability

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's effectively a CB playing in midfield. It's very old hat. You look around now and there are very, very few players of his ilk operating at the top level. Defending is a shared responsibility. The sitting midfielder needs to be as good at linking the defence to the midfield/attack as he does at shielding the back four.

Ziggy Starduster

Not sure if DR is ready made for our midfield just yet. I’d prefer someone who can instantly come in and make an impact, rather than being full of potential.
Given that we maybe having to imbed youngsters on the wings, can we afford to do the same in midfield too?

Classical Mechanic

He's effectively a CB playing in midfield. It's very old hat. You look around now and there are very, very few players of his ilk operating at the top level. Defending is a shared responsibility. The sitting midfielder needs to be as good at linking the defence to the midfield/attack as he does at shielding the back four.
I think he does link well because he moves the ball on so quickly. He's not going to hit 40 yard passes or play amazing through balls though.

Status
Not open for further replies.