Dele Alli - Performance Thread 2017/18

IrishRedDevil

Alli has been in very poor form recently.

That dive v Huddersfield today was shocking and he's always moaning at his teammates which must be very annoying. I noticed today that he was making several incorrect runs also, not on the same wavelength as the likes of Eriksen.

His recent FIFA comments, about his rating being too low, seems to suggest that he has bought into his own hype. Yes he was probably joking, but he does seem to think he has already made it.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Agreed, has really gone off the boil recently as if the hype has got to him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He isn't doing the simple things well at the moment. Just a dip in form, bound to happen.
Yeah it isn't the end of the world, but he does need to sort himself out especially in a world cup year. England were looking to build a side around him, so from an english perspective - needs to find his groove again.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
He got rid of his long term agent recently too, and has all the usual mega agents circling him. Can see them getting a big move for him in the near future to line both his and their pockets; as they won't get what they can from other clubs from Tottenham.

tavtavtav

I always find it strange how people attribute playing poorly or poor form to the player believing their own hype. I don't understand how you could could truly know either way how someone thinks (especially somebody you don't know) and even then if it makes the difference you'd think it does. There are players who appear to be supremely confident who play very well and even continue to work hard, and I wouldn't be surprised at other players suffering due to lack of belief in their own abilities.

I mean it could actually be the problem, I don't know, but I equally feel it can be a whole multitude of things.

IrishRedDevil

I always find it strange how people attribute playing poorly or poor form to the player believing their own hype. I don't understand how you could could truly know either way how someone thinks (especially somebody you don't know) and even then if it makes the difference you'd think it does. There are players who appear to be supremely confident who play very well and even continue to work hard, and I wouldn't be surprised at other players suffering due to lack of belief in their own abilities.

I mean it could actually be the problem, I don't know, but I equally feel it can be a whole multitude of things.
Moaning at his teammates when he's the one actually playing poorly is a bad sign. He should put his head down and focus on raising his own game.

IrishRedDevil

He got rid of his long term agent recently too, and has all the usual mega agents circling him. Can see them getting a big move for him in the near future to line both his and their pockets; as they won't get what they can from other clubs from Tottenham.
I was reading that also. He would need to focus on his performances then, or none of the big clubs will be interested. Obviously he's a talented player and it could be a blip only, but I think he needs to get his head down and focus on the basics.

Wayne's World

He's an good to decent attacking midfield who's being made into a player because of how good Kane runs the channels and creates the space for him to score his goals.

Without Kane, I don't think he's half the player everyone thinks he is

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's still already got 3 goals and 1 assist in 8 matches, which is a terrific return. His overall play has been poor by his standards, but he's still putting the ball into the net.

Alli is a strange player, he can be absolutely terrible for 89 minutes but his timing and finishing are so good that he'll still make an impact on the end.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
His performance level seems to me anyway to have dropped off a bit over the last month or so

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Two season wonder?

I'm struggling to remember if people were always so quick to jump on young players' performances before.

He's actually scored the same number of goals as he had at this stage last season, with an extra assist this season too. Hr started the season pretty poorly last season too.

Doesn't seem to be too much to be concerned about so far tbh.

Red_Beans

@africanspur

You have not spent enough time on the Caf. Opinions change with the drop of a hat. Last season we had posters calling Martial "championship material".

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Got overhyped last year now his lack of form is getting too much attention. He's a very good young player but has a lot to learn and how good he can be is yet to be seen. He's nowhere near as good yet as has been suggested by the English press.

James Peril

He's still already got 3 goals and 1 assist in 8 matches, which is a terrific return. His overall play has been poor by his standards, but he's still putting the ball into the net.

Alli is a strange player, he can be absolutely terrible for 89 minutes but his timing and finishing are so good that he'll still make an impact on the end.
That's the thing though. He is a forward, not a midfielder - he contributes little in midfield but is really good at popping in to score goals. He does not have great technique like Coutinho and he is not even close to Pogba in terms of controlling a game. 3+1 in 8 games is fair, not great. Equals 19 points in 38 games, which is hardly great for a forward in a team trying to win the league. He must reach 25-30 points to call it a great season.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
That's the thing though. He is a forward, not a midfielder - he contributes little in midfield but is really good at popping in to score goals. He does not have great technique like Coutinho and he is not even close to Pogba in terms of controlling a game. 3+1 in 8 games is fair, not great. Equals 19 points in 38 games, which is hardly great for a forward in a team trying to win the league. He must reach 25-30 points to call it a great season.
LOLwat?

Nick7

Oh no the ice hockey style "points" thing is happening in football now.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
He is a class player going through a bad patch of form.

Seriously, this happens to even experienced top quality players.

Bwuk

Not been at his best this year yet but he's a great player. Would love him at United one day, his movement is brilliant.

Idxomer

He's a diving cnut and wannabe hard-man, and not as great at football as many think.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can't stand the diving cnut. He's not good enough to warrant being such a cnut either.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I trust half time will be dedicated to showing countless replays of his dive.

Oh wait, no, he's an Englishman playing for Spurs.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah he's a massive piece of shit, glorified goal scorer who for some reason's lauded as a great midfielder. He's not. Plus he's a massive cnut.

Archetypical chav playing football.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Bigger cheat than Hazard? At least Hazard actually gets fouled sometimes.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah he's a massive piece of shit, glorified goal scorer who for some reason's lauded as a great midfielder. He's not. Plus he's a massive cnut.

Archetypical chav playing football.
So a pretty good player? :lol:

crackers0seven

Cnut but I'd him to be a United cnut. Miss the days that United where pretty much guaranteed to pick up the best players in league. Now we have so much competition who knows where Dele ends up if he leaves Spurs

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can't stand this guy. Even when he isn't being a cheating sod he's constantly mouthing off to opponents and teammates alike.

Zoo

It was hilarious hiw Gary Neville went silent when the replay of his dive was shown. But you know massive credit to him for not butting Young.