Demetri Mitchell image 35

Demetri Mitchell England flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z_Wolf

This fella has been impessive since he broke through to the first team. He was like a febreze on that left hand side at the end of last season albeit in a dead rubber. I'd like to see how he does against top wingers but I got high hopes for him.

Just checked his Wiki page, it's good to see he's a local lad as well. Also, is he really 1.81m? he looks way shorter than that.

criticalanalysis

Not that I'm comparing him to but from the few minutes we've seen, his running style, gait and dribbling reminds me of Dani Alves.

Actually scrap that, like Ryan Bertrand.

Good vibes.

serxyo

He cant play on the right side, we've seen that, but I think he'll be beast as LW or LB. Depends how Mourinho decides to use him.

Utdstar01

It's a shame he had all those injuries as he'd have probably have featured for us a lot earlier than he has.

barmyarmy

With shaw injured and blind not really quick he can put a good impression on Jose in pre season and cement his place in the team & form a formidable partnership with Martial on left. 2-3 youth players stepping up this season would be wonderful (pereira, tuanzebe, TFM).

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
With shaw injured and blind not really quick he will can put a good impression on Jose in pre season and cement his place in the team & form a formidable partnership with Martial on left. 2-3 youth players stepping up this season would be wonderful (pereira, tuanzebe, TFM).
4 youth players there with Mitchell Pereira Tuanzebe and TFM but I agree would love to see them all be a big part of the squad. I'd move Darmian on to free up room for Tuanzebe TFM and Mitchell, Pereira will get game time regardless. Exciting times with these guys ahead.
Not expecting this to happen but with Rashford also playing it would be some statement to youth from Jose.

khoazany

Seeing the likes of him, Riley, Kenyon, etc tearing up the left flank with pace and skills in the youth/reserves sides is part of the season why I feel very down about our LB options. Not saying they are "better", but certainly we can do better tactically with those kind of fullbacks.

SteveW

Seeing the likes of him, Riley, Kenyon, etc tearing up the left flank with pace and skills in the youth/reserves sides is part of the season why I feel very down about our LB options. Not saying they are "better", but certainly we can do better tactically with those kind of fullbacks.
Have to agree. Full backs who can't attack are zero craic.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I agree, don't think we get near enough out of our fullbacks and it severely hampers our play. Especially when it comes to Darmian and even Valencia isn't as attacking as some people claim. He isn't even really an attacking fullback, just a two way one.

I think our style of play was even noticeably different and better in the past when the likes of Riley or Varela were played in the first team and neither will likely make it here. With top fullbacks of that style it totally evolves the team.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United defender Demi Mitchell is thoroughly enjoying his first pre-season experience with the Reds' senior squad, and says he's developing all the time as a player.

The 20-year-old full-back made his first-team debut in the final Premier League game of last season, against Crystal Palace at Old Trafford in May, and has since featured in this month's tour victories over LA Galaxy and Real Salt Lake in the United States.

Speaking ahead of Sunday's clash with Norwegian side Valerenga in Oslo, Mitchell told ManUtd.com: "It’s a great experience, being involved with the first team.

"The first part of the tour was also the first time I’d been to America. It’s all new to me, and being around the first team makes you feel like a part of the group after stepping up from the Reserves.

"I didn’t know until the last minute that I would be going on the tour, so it was all a bit of a shock, but I’ve really enjoyed it so far."

Asked about the physical ability he showed against LA Galaxy, the former winger laughed: "It shows I’m a proper left-back now! I’m adapting to the position. You've got to be ready to come on, it could be after five minutes or it could be after 25 minutes. You’ve got to be prepared for any scenario and ready to make an impact.

"Any position I get asked to play, if the coaches think it’s right then I’ll give it a good shot. I’ve been playing there [at left-back] for a good seven or eight months now, so for me to be here [with the first team] after that amount of time, it just shows how much progress I can make.

"It was funny because when I went to play on the wing against Real Salt Lake, it was new to me again! I thought ‘I’ve not been here for a while’, and then after about five minutes Antonio [Valencia] got sent off which meant I was back at left-back. I felt at home there, though."

WhoDaGOAT

How did he do?
Okay. He held his width, which helped us open them up. He put one very dangerous cross in, but unfortunately Lukaku wasn't ahead of the play.

Tuanzebe fed him with one or two delightful through balls.

kundalini

How did he do?
I thought he was disappointing. He tried numerous times to surge down the wing, sometimes from deep, other times having received a decent pass in the final third, but in terms of end product there was really only one moment, a super run plus cross that went across the face of goal with Lukaku not quite reaching it. Another time he got some minimal contact from a defender but neither fell nor kept control of the ball.

The potential threat from his pace was obvious but too often his runs ended up with the ball out for a goal kick. Given the standard of the opposition, I doubt Mourinho was that impressed. Of the kids, in this particular match, Tuanzebe and McTominay looked decent, TFM ok, Andreas Pereira and Demi some distance behind.

Shame really as I like Demi a lot but it may be way too early for him. His performance against Palace was far superior to anything we've seen in pre-season, though his opportunities have been extremely limited (81 mins so far).

Daley Blind has had a surprisingly poor pre-season so that might have presented a slight opening for Demi but in reality, Mourinho doesn't appear to be considering him as a serious possibility for this season; all of Demi's 81 mins have come against the weaker opponents, none against City, Real Madrid or Barca.

Last edited:

el3mel

Looks a very good talent and his dribbles are very fresh. I hope he gets more game time at LB than Blind.

arthurka

Looks a threat.. Could have gotten a penalty. He could become a fantastic left back..

criticalanalysis

He provides genuine width and penetration on the left, something you can't say for pretty much all of our players bar Martial, who even then is not natural there.

He will do well to get some good minutes in the season. I like him.

Z_Wolf

What's the latest on this kid? I was surprised when I saw he wasn't even included in the traveling squad for the match against Sampdoria. With the 3-5-2 system we've been playing often lately, you'd think he'd be the best fit for the LWB position. I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get chances this season. He's looked the most lively going forward out of all our LB options.

AP88

Supports
Man City
This is probably a tired or lazy comparison but he did remind me of a young Ashley Cole, only likeable.
What's the latest on this kid? I was surprised when I saw he wasn't even included in the traveling squad for the match against Sampdoria. With the 3-5-2 system we've been playing often lately, you'd think he'd be the best fit for the LWB position. I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get chances this season. He's looked the most lively going forward out of all our LB options.
I agree with both; he's very much the modern fullback, as Cole pioneered. Marcelo and Roberto Carlos were/are both great attackers from a default leftback position, but Cole was the first to merge defensive perfection with perpetual attacking outlet.

An overlapping leftback adds another dimension to Martial's game too.

Playing Darmian wide in a 3-5-2 is simply morbid; the additional defender in the 3 neutralises the need for excessive cover wide, yet Mourinho persists with it. Valencia and Mitchell with Blind and Young as cover for both would be ideal in that formation; he should work on converting Shaw into a left centreback especially for it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Many consider Cole a better defender than attacker. Demi's defending isn't close to his attacking and still has a lot of work to do at defending really.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I thought he was disappointing. He tried numerous times to surge down the wing, sometimes from deep, other times having received a decent pass in the final third, but in terms of end product there was really only one moment, a super run plus cross that went across the face of goal with Lukaku not quite reaching it. Another time he got some minimal contact from a defender but neither fell nor kept control of the ball.

The potential threat from his pace was obvious but too often his runs ended up with the ball out for a goal kick. Given the standard of the opposition, I doubt Mourinho was that impressed. Of the kids, in this particular match, Tuanzebe and McTominay looked decent, TFM ok, Andreas Pereira and Demi some distance behind.

Shame really as I like Demi a lot but it may be way too early for him. His performance against Palace was far superior to anything we've seen in pre-season, though his opportunities have been extremely limited (81 mins so far).

Daley Blind has had a surprisingly poor pre-season so that might have presented a slight opening for Demi but in reality, Mourinho doesn't appear to be considering him as a serious possibility for this season; all of Demi's 81 mins have come against the weaker opponents, none against City, Real Madrid or Barca.
Yup, seems to be the case. Last game he was poor so hasn't done his cause any good. Nevertheless when he has played well he has proved what a more attacking left back can do for the fluidity of our football.

NYAS

There are reports that Jose has settled on a 28-man squad for this season and this kid is the one to miss out. He was sent back to the reserves but McTominay was kept in the first-team squad along with the two Pereiras and TFM.

barmyarmy

There are reports that Jose has settled on a 28-man squad for this season and this kid is the one to miss out. He was sent back to the reserves but McTominay was kept in the first-team squad along with the two Pereiras and TFM.
thats sad. I was expecting he will play good part until shaw recovers fully from his injury, he should work more harder & if he gets any opportunity this season should grab it with both hands

WhoDaGOAT

thats sad. I was expecting he will play good part until shaw recovers fully from his injury, he should work more harder & if he gets any opportunity this season should grab it with both hands
LB is the position we have the most depth in (not neccessarily quality).

Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Young and even Rojo.

Very difficult task.

barmyarmy

LB is the position we have the most depth in (not neccessarily quality).

Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Young and even Rojo.

Very difficult task.
Agree. If perisic doesn't sign and we play 3-5-2 i think Mitchell is very useful option to have but he needs to work on his defending which will come time as its a new position for him

WhoDaGOAT

Agree. If perisic doesn't sign and we play 3-5-2 i think Mitchell is very useful option to have but he needs to work on his defending which will come time as its a new position for him
I like Demi. A coach like Pep or Poch would identify his attacking potential and try to turn him into a Rose/Mendy type of full-back who overlaps.

Devil may care

What about Tuanzebe?

barmyarmy

Where did you find these out. Do u have any links?

crossy1686

career ending
Many consider Cole a better defender than attacker. Demi's defending isn't close to his attacking and still has a lot of work to do at defending really.
I agree. It appears Demi is a winger at heart and is being converted into a full back by the coaching staff. Cole started out as a striker so there is hope for the lad. By improving his 'defending' you mean positional play and timing? He's got the pace to be able to make mistimed challenges and still recover without major damage but he has to improve his positional play, he looks like he forgets he's playing full back sometimes.

Nick7

Not surprised. Don't think he was very impressive on tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.