Democracy

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought I would put this in the US Politics thread but thought it may be worth a new thread. I read this article and thought this was an ominous prediction but not far off the mark

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/08/shawn-rosenberg-democracy-228045

Wondering you all thought the same way and if not a democracy, then what else?
Weird article as it doesn't really get into sufficient details about why he thinks this is happening. Probably the downside of attempting to condense someone's views into a clickbaity Politico piece.

Carolina Red

Staff
Weird article as it doesn't really get into sufficient details about why he thinks this is happening. Probably the downside of attempting to condense someone's views into a clickbaity Politico piece.
What do you think he didn’t extrapolate enough on?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What do you think he didn’t extrapolate enough on?
It's just written in a very shallow and dramatic way. Stuff like..."Rosenberg, who earned degrees at Yale, Oxford and Harvard, may be the social scientist for our time if events play out as he suggests they will".

There's just no depth to what is being suggested, which may be because of the length constraints of the article (if that were the case they shouldn't have bothered to publish it).

Also, much of what he is suggesting is easily explained when viewed through other aspects of IR; namely that technology is gradually bringing the state as a social structure to an end, and rules, norms, culture, and language are slowly diffusing from the state to international level, which will of course wreak havoc on both democratic and authoritarian state systems.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The abstract is more informative than the Politico piece. The entire journal article however doesn't really reveal much beyond the "humans are too dumb to appreciate and participate in Democracy" angle. It reads more like a thought piece with references than a piece of research that's backed up by some form of methodology.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The abstract is more informative than the Politico piece. The entire journal article however doesn't really reveal much beyond the "humans are too dumb to appreciate and participate in Democracy" angle. It reads more like a thought piece with references than a piece of research that's backed up by some form of methodology.
You'll have to buy the book then.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't give much weightage to these. Democracy is just a tool to govern and like any tools it can be misused. It's not like people under authoritarian rule even under democracy are happier than the rest (Trump, Modi, Putin, Bolsonaro etc). After current cycle (give it a decade) it'll right itself.

Sweet Square

Thought I would put this in the US Politics thread but thought it may be worth a new thread. I read this article and thought this was an ominous prediction but not far off the mark

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/08/shawn-rosenberg-democracy-228045

Wondering you all thought the same way and if not a democracy, then what else?
Fish stop reading this shite and read this

https://libcom.org/files/[Mark_Fisher]_Capitalist_Realism_Is_There_no_Alte(BookZZ.org).pdf