Denis Law

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In parallel with the Sir Bobby Charlton thread and more out of nostalgia, I put forward this thread (apology if one already exists, but I did do a search) to remember that quite exceptional forward of that era, Dennis Law.
You really had to watch him to fully appreciate just how good he was.
Quite small and slight. But always on the move inside the penalty area. Where the pitches then were at their very worst.

Apart from his fantastic goals record, the thing I really remember was that he almost never gave the ball away. Great first touch and instinctively two footed, as many player were then. Often with his back to the goal, his turn was quick and shot very early.
But his link up play and passing to a team mate was extremely accurate and reliable.
Like many of his era, he was a smoker but always remained very light.
And in those days, the centre halves were little more than hatchet men intent on taking out the centre forward, by any means possible.
But Dennis Law was rarely injured and pretty much always got the better of them.
Shame when he went to Turin and then back to City where he scored a goal to relegate United. But he refused to celebrate that goal and often said he wished he had missed.
One of the very best.

Robin

In all that research that you did, did you never spot that his name is Denis Law, just the one n

Robin

And of course another myth often quoted is that he scored the goal that relegated United which of course he didn’t , United were relegated because of other results that went against us

Dansk

And of course another myth often quoted is that he scored the goal that relegated United which of course he didn’t , United were relegated because of other results that went against us
I recall hearing that at the time he scored it, it would have been the goal that relegated us. By the end of the game, other results had made the goal irrelevant.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Is it 'Start a thread that'll make everyone think someone's died' week on the caf or something?

Foxbatt

Hernandez reminded me of the Lawman. Always on the move. For a small man he was brilliant in the air.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You are welcome, always had a soft spot for Rovers as dad had an off licence in Staple Hill, and it was a big Rovers area.
Wow. Staple Hill is not far from where we live.
Can you remember where the off licence actually was?
You are right. This side of Bristol was very much a Rovers area.
When I watched them at the old Eastville ground, now IKEA, pretty much all the players were local. Derbies against City were regularly watched by 25,000 even in the old division 3. And I remember an FA Cup game against Arsenal with over 36,000. Happy days.

Robin

Wow. Staple Hill is not far from where we live.
Can you remember where the off licence actually was?
You are right. This side of Bristol was very much a Rovers area.
When I watched them at the old Eastville ground, now IKEA, pretty much all the players were local. Derbies against City were regularly watched by 25,000 even in the old division 3. And I remember an FA Cup game against Arsenal with over 36,000. Happy days.
yes, it was called “ Humpers” on Soundwell Road, I used to come down and run it for him when they went on holiday, he had it from mid 80’s to 1996 when he passed. The kids loved it when I was there, “ how much is a Mars bar mister, I’ve only got 15p” that’ll do and all the local beers were on draught Happy days

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
yes, it was called “ Humpers” on Soundwell Road, I used to come down and run it for him when they went on holiday, he had it from mid 80’s to 1996 when he passed. The kids loved it when I was there, “ how much is a Mars bar mister, I’ve only got 15p” that’ll do and all the local beers were on draught Happy days
Fantastic. Do you know what. I had a feeling it might have been Humpers. Such a memorable name.
Not sure it is still there now.
Thank you for letting me know.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Mods.
I should have asked if you would correct the spelling of Denis. At least we can spell his name correctly.
Appreciate that.

Edit. Just found out how to do it myself.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Was just mentioning in the Ronnie will beat Rooney's record thread that Law has (in the league) .6 gpg - probably the best gpg any United player has had apart from Ruud (.68 in the league).

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Mods.
I should have asked if you would correct the spelling of Denis. At least we can spell his name correctly.
Appreciate that.

Edit. Just found out how to do it myself.
Dennis Bergkamp was named after Denis Law, but his parents had to spell the name in the Dutch manner, as that was Dutch law at the time.

Also he might not have been huge but he was bloody good in the air. Denis I mean.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Up there with the line that Keane ended Haaland's career as most annoying myth in United folklore.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Did you ever manage to get to any games at Old Trafford in those days @Buster15?
Yes I did. OT was about 42,000 and the atmosphere was fantastic. Really noisy. The best thing was that you could turn up on the day and que to get into the ground. Always stood in the Stretford End.
I was an apprentice in the late 60's and one of the guys had a Ford Cortina. A group of us used to go.
There were also quite a number of coaches that used to up and tended to use those for evening games.
Lots still do.
After we got married, paying the mortgage when inflation was going up every month meant I just couldn't afford to go as often.
And then children came along.
But I took every opportunity to go and have seen the absolute highs and the odd lows. Same as every other United supporter.

redmanx

Plus, Denis didnt go to Torino from United, we bought him from Torino

Snuffkin

Second only to RVN in terms of goalscoring. Best header of the ball we've ever had.

simplyared

Before Bestie came on the scene he was everybody's idol. He had an awe about him. Charismatic! When the King was playing it would add another 10,000 onto the attendance (or so it was said). Not only a brilliant player but an entertainer. We had Eric who had a lot in common with our Denis but there will only ever be one king of OT!

Last edited:

redmanx

In parallel with the Sir Bobby Charlton thread and more out of nostalgia, I put forward this thread (apology if one already exists, but I did do a search) to remember that quite exceptional forward of that era, Dennis Law.
You really had to watch him to fully appreciate just how good he was.
Quite small and slight. But always on the move inside the penalty area. Where the pitches then were at their very worst.

Apart from his fantastic goals record, the thing I really remember was that he almost never gave the ball away. Great first touch and instinctively two footed, as many player were then. Often with his back to the goal, his turn was quick and shot very early.
But his link up play and passing to a team mate was extremely accurate and reliable.
Like many of his era, he was a smoker but always remained very light.
And in those days, the centre halves were little more than hatchet men intent on taking out the centre forward, by any means possible.
But Dennis Law was rarely injured and pretty much always got the better of them.
Shame when he went to Turin and then back to City where he scored a goal to relegate United. But he refused to celebrate that goal and often said he wished he had missed.
One of the very best.
Denis himself jokes about the fact that he would
Before Bestie came on the scene he was everybody's idol. He had an awe about him. Charismatic! When the King was playing it would add another 10,000 onto the attendance (or so it was said). Not only a brilliant player but an entertainer. We had Eric who had a lot in common with our Denis but there will only ever be one king of OT!
My all time favourite player, Denis Law!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Denis himself jokes about the fact that he would

My all time favourite player, Denis Law!
We could definitely do with his standard of play now. Always gave defenders something to think about.

Denis79

This man is the reason I got the name I did. My father wouldn't have it any other way.

Story is though my father tried every United legend name until my mother approved :lol:, he denies this though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
For me he's alongside Bobby Charlton and George Best as one of the three to who are one. Legends who would never perambulate in solitary.
The holy trinity of Utd. The best of the best and absolute grade A first ballot United gods, legends isnt strong enough.

Moriarty

Yes I did. OT was about 42,000 and the atmosphere was fantastic. Really noisy. The best thing was that you could turn up on the day and que to get into the ground. Always stood in the Stretford End.
I was an apprentice in the late 60's and one of the guys had a Ford Cortina. A group of us used to go.
There were also quite a number of coaches that used to up and tended to use those for evening games.
Lots still do.
After we got married, paying the mortgage when inflation was going up every month meant I just couldn't afford to go as often.
And then children came along.
But I took every opportunity to go and have seen the absolute highs and the odd lows. Same as every other United supporter.

Great times. I saw Denis play in the 1960s when I was a kid and I idolized him. When the Doc first came and signed a bunch of Scottish players, we were known as Scotland United, and tartan scarves began to appear. Anyway, at one home game, a lad dressed in a kilt ran on to the pitch at the Stretford End as the teams were kicking in. He started doing a highland dance on the edge of the 6 yard box and Denis almost fell over laughing. When the coppers got hold of the lad, Jim Holton and Alex Forsyth inteverned and he was allowed to jump back into the crowd.