Di Marzio: Barca make bid for Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

@rotherham_red, posting history. How to seriously engage with someone who write silly stuff like Mourinho had done everything and anything to undermine Pogba. Speaking of posting history your posts are basically just finding new ways to shit on Mourinho without an ounce of objectivity.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If true, ship him out for an insane bid. He's going to undermine Jose every time any chance he gets.

prateik

They have quoted Mourinho verbatim!
They dont have a quote from Jose. They have attributed a quote to Jose without a source.
Its worthless. The sun (and other junk media) do this all the time.

Using quotation marks use to mean something 10 years ago. Unfortunately, it doesnt anymore. Especially not when it comes to these tabloids.

prateik

If true, ship him out for an insane bid. He's going to undermine Jose every time any chance he gets.
I don't think anyone is making an insane bid for him..
But yeah. Always back the manager over the player. Always.
If the board doesnt think Jose is the right man, get the right man in and back him over any player.

crossy1686

career ending
They dont have a quote from Jose. They have attributed a quote to Jose without a source.

Using quotation marks use to mean something 10 years ago. Unfortunately, it doesnt anymore. Especially not when it comes to these tabloids.
There's also been a distinct lack of United stories this week so you can guarantee their numbers are down. Lets make something up quick.

Infra-red

It's not that difficult to tell the difference between a hack taking a bit of a shot in the dark and someone writing something they know to be well-sourced. You don't get verbatim quotes in the former, just a whole load of caveats/qualified statements and repeated uses of the word "reportedly". This will have been given to Custis by someone either at this meeting, or close to an attendee at the meeting.

Cantona's Collar

In print yes. But Daily Mail has most online+print readers. Oh I despair...
I'd guess at least half of the Daily Mail's traffic comes from people linking to their articles externally in a "look what these crazy feckwits are saying now" kind of way. It's a pretty good business model to be fair.

el3mel

When Jose stops throwing his players under the bus publicly, then he might have the moral high ground. If, as this report says, he's told Pogba not to go public then it's a case of do as I say, not as I do - that isn't exactly displaying good behaviour or leadership

My initial thought was this also, but it's come from Custis - the one journo on the Manchester beat who Jose seemingly hasn't pissed off. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if this came from Jose's camp themselves to paint Pogba in to a corner.

Read my reply to Rossi

Again, read my reply to Rossi.

Pogba has bitten his lip for the best part of 6 months while Jose has done everything and anything to undermine him. Just read his interview with ESPN before the World Cup which gave a hint as to what he was feeling - in particular, when his manager had asked him to say something about Jose on the record - he didn't and kept it private but chose to last Friday because he was in a position of power. When the shoe was not even half on the other foot, Jose didn't hesitate to undermine Pogba, even to the team's own detriment in the case of dropping Pogba for Sevilla at home, so don't give me that bullshit that Jose said and did what he did pre- and post-Leicester was for the club's benefit, or even Pogba's own good. He did it to save his own bacon.

The day I get paid X hundreds of grands a week, with an entourage blowing smoke up my arse and my employers have employed me as the centrepiece of their mid-term marketing strategy, is the day I'll be acting like Pogba has been acting. Until then, I'll just say the stakes involved in my 9-5 pale in significance to the importance of Pogba's so such a comparison is moot.

Also, it's a bit rich of you saying the boldened when almost all of your posts on this topic (be it in this thread, the Di Marzio, the Transfer Tweets, and Pogba's performance thread) have all been about stoking the flames of negativity and saying Pogba's off despite reports from France and most serious reports in England saying otherwise and that it's likely a ploy to get improved terms...

If you could engage with what I said, it would be nice. But then, I suppose that's asking for a little too much if your posting history is anything to go by...

See above.
First, the way the boss treats his players, is completely different from how the players should treat their boss. When your boss in the work criticize you, you don't go on and criticize your boss in the same. You will get fired. That's the basic here. Unless you want the players power to control the club, and you believe that only SAF of all managers should have the authority over the players, you should never approve of Pogba quotes, whatever you feel about your Mourinho. These are rules here.

Second, Mourinho has done everything in the previous week to kill the issues in public. He praised him heavily, and gave him the arm band instead of giving it to someone else like De Gea. When you praise the player in public then go on and hear him talking like that in the post match interview of the same game, you can't get that go easily.

Third, I really don't find any problem in Mourinho comments re Pogba performance in World Cup. Completely spot on and btw, when they were posted here most ones in the forum agreed he was right. People started to think they were moronic because Pogba appeared to be a baby who wanted someone to feed his ego instead of giving sensible comments about him carrying this performance to the club level. Pogba played a role in France NT similar to what Mourinho wanted from him at United, to be a CM who control tempo and initiate counters with defensive duties.

Shaw got slaughtered by Mourinho several times and still come and talk positively about him wanting to work hard to get Mourinho praise and find a place in the team while Pogba couldn't handle some sensible comments.

Needless to say, the one who defended Pogba the most in the media in his first season when he was getting slaughtered everywhere due to average peformance and heavy price tag was Mourinho. Mourinho accused every pundits of being jeolous of Pogba money. He kept playing and shielding him despite his performance.

Even just prior to dropping him after Spurs game Mourinho went on a full rant in Everton game presser on Scholes because he criticzed Pogba. That was 2 weeks prior to Spurs game, 2 weeks only :

And here's another pressor from first season, completely slaughtering the pundits for daring to criticize Paul :

Ultimately all these are forgotten when he asked a response from him or dared to give a sensible comments about his performance in world cup and asking the same here, or dropping him for a poor performance.

Mourinho defended Pogba much more than the fans and media when he was under stick. It was time for Paul to show response for his own manager.

Instead he acted like a baby on the slightest criticism after getting defended by the same man for 1.5 years and now bitching to try and move to Barca.

Who can anyone not fault Paul on this is beyond. Whatever you feel about Mourinho, Pogba is the baby here.

Last edited:

flappyjay

I don't think anyone is making an insane bid for him..
But yeah. Always back the manager over the player. Always.
If the board doesnt think Jose is the right man, get the right man in and back him over any player.
It was easy to say that up until the 00's. Now we are at the point where there isn't enough for a talent pool that has to cater for the traditional big club's . Then you have the plastic clubs + the likes Atletico, spurs and the prem clubs with cash to burn. Now more than ever it's important to keep your best players.

Rajma

That wouldn't look great on Jose - can't take a bit of the public uncertainty from the players but is the first one to throw everyone around him under the bus in the media when things are not right.

Hopefully they can put all this behind them and begin working on the common goal.

rotherham_red

@rotherham_red, posting history. How to seriously engage with someone who write silly stuff like Mourinho had done everything and anything to undermine Pogba. Speaking of posting history your posts are basically just finding new ways to shit on Mourinho without an ounce of objectivity.
Pathetic response, but then I suppose I should have expected it.

If you actually bothered to look through my posting history like you say you have, you'd see that I've defended Jose plenty of times and it has only been the last 6 months of his time here, that my opinion of him changed.

Your version of objectivity is backing Jose to the hilt, despite the fact that we are creating less and less and our attacking players with the exception of Lukaku have regressed or been undermined to the extent that they want to leave. Is that objectivity for you? The Jose of Chelsea, Inter and Real has long gone but you are so stubborn that you can't or won't see it. That doesn't scream objectivity to me.

Kostov

We will soon find out if this rumors about supposed bust up are true, as soon as Sunday. Valencia won't be back, and if Pogba continues as captain it's all nonsense, if it's true I won't be surprised if Pogba is not even in the squad.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
so the Sun is already black-listed for transfers on page 1 of the twitter thread, yet it's "bust-up" story people are believing? Take a chill lads, it's gutterpress.

Ban

@rotherham_red
It seems you haven't bothered to read my posts properly, that's why you're saying in your childish response I think Jose should be defended to the hilt.
Your opinion changed on him a lot it seems, you have done a full 180 degrees.
Undermining? Which attacking players except Martial want to leave?
If by repeating players are undermined you think is objectivity than scream objectivity all you want.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We will soon find out if this rumors about supposed bust up are true, as soon as Sunday. Valencia won't be back, and if Pogba continues as captain it's all nonsense, if it's true I won't be surprised if Pogba is not even in the squad.
I don't think he'd drop him. We simply can't afford to at the moment with the injuries we've got and people just coming back. He might strip him off the captaincy but to drop him before the end of the European transfer window would just fuel the flames. Pogba will also have to perform, if he puts in a half-assed performance he'll look pathetic.

Smores

so the Sun is already black-listed for transfers on page 1 of the twitter thread, yet it's "bust-up" story people are believing? Take a chill lads, it's gutterpress.
Confirmation bias, people believe any source when it confirms their thoughts. The idea that anyone leaks to one of the least credible papers over the others is ridiculous.

Its telling that our fans are willing to play the media's game for them and whip up a storm.

rotherham_red

@rotherham_red
It seems you haven't bothered to read my posts properly, that's why you're saying in your childish response I think Jose should be defended to the hilt.
Your opinion changed on him a lot it seems, you have done a full 180 degrees.
Undermining? Which attacking players except Martial want to leave?
If by repeating players are undermined you think is objectivity than scream objectivity all you want.
It seems like you just want the last word, and if that sages your fragile masculinity, go for it... You win.

Brophs

The One and Only
In a feat of bumbling, mutually assured destruction reminiscent of Sideshow Bob in a field of rakes, we’ll manage to end up with neither of the super manager we hired to make us successful and the world record marquee signing we wanted to build our team and our club around. All while both of those cockwits declare themselves the winner of the war form thousands of miles away.

Kostov

I don't think he'd drop him. We simply can't afford to at the moment with the injuries we've got and people just coming back. He might strip him off the captaincy but to drop him before the end of the European transfer window would just fuel the flames. Pogba will also have to perform, if he puts in a half-assed performance he'll look pathetic.
I think you underestimate Jose's stubbornness, if he want's to make a point of who is the boss, he will drop him. I hope it's all bullshit and we see them performing their duties without anything childish.

soapythecat

Even though I firmly believe this is all absolute horse shit, if Barca were to make a big offer for PP this coming week then sell him. The offer would have to be huge and it would show he wants out so why keep him. He’s not the most productive player when he is not trying to force a move.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Even though I firmly believe this is all absolute horse shit, if Barca were to make a big offer for PP this coming week then sell him. The offer would have to be huge and it would show he wants out so why keep him. He’s not the most productive player when he is not trying to force a move.
I agree, if a big bid comes in then sell him.
If all of this is true of course.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think you underestimate Jose's stubbornness, if he want's to make a point of who is the
boss, he will drop him. I hope it's all bullshit and we see them performing their duties without anything childish.
I don't doubt Jose is stubborn nor that he has a huge ego and can easily get in his own way. But he doesn't criticise a player unless there is a reason to as far as I'm aware. And every single bit of criticism of Pogba has been merited. The problem is, Pogba is not someone who can handle that.

If he performs like he did against Leicester I won't have any complaints. Even if he's super unhappy and doesn't feel appreciated.

Would Barca be willing to break their record to sign Pogba? I highly doubt that. Real Madrid might be more realistic, but surely they've got bigger issues with their squad.

Kapardin

And who can we buy to replace him when the window is closed? What is the use of a big fee when it cannot be reinvested and goes into the Glazers' pockets?

A midfield of Matic-Fred-Herrera/Fellaini is not good enough. Pogba was MOTM for the Leicester game and showed he's focused enough even if he wants out.

If Barca offer Rakitic plus cash, we may consider it. Obviously not going to happen.

Kostov

I don't doubt Jose is stubborn nor that he has a huge ego and can easily get in his own way. But he doesn't criticise a player unless there is a reason to as far as I'm aware. And every single bit of criticism of Pogba has been merited. The problem is, Pogba is not someone who can handle that.
All that is subject to opinion and I agree that some of the criticism has been deserved. More important thing is, why does it have to be done through the media? And we know who fired the first shot.

Whether Pogba can handle it or not, is another thing. He handled it well enough in my opinion, delivering a very good performance at the opening game. Then like every human being with a spine on himself he hit back, now we have a love affair going on.

TsuWave

Absolutely not.
Pogba can feck off for all I care. His overall performances don't really justify his behavior if this is indeed true.
Mourinho’s performance doesn’t justify his behavior. Football has changed, talented/star players > flabby washed up manager.

Losing a world class midfielder that’s yet to enter his prime is a more daunting prospect than losing Mourinho. You’d struggle to replace Pogba, talent pool isn’t big enough and the really good players are hoarded by a handful of clubs, plus, you’d have to spend the GDP of a country to replace him.

Nevermind that the optics on United aren’t great right now, with stories, likely fabricated, but still, that players don’t want to play for us due to our playstyle or limited chances of winning the truly sought after trophies. Losing someone like Pogba would only compound the narrative of a dying/dead dynasty and a badge that lost its shine and can’t/couldn’t keep up with its neighbouring rivals. Eventually, even the commercial side will take a hit.

Should be lining up Mourinho’s successor while trying to calm things down for now, if in a couple of months we are still playing the boring, tumescent stuff that we have played during his tenure, and if the results aren’t exactly justifying it, Mourinho needs to get thrown in the bushes.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Confirmation bias, people believe any source when it confirms their thoughts. The idea that anyone leaks to one of the least credible papers over the others is ridiculous.

Its telling that our fans are willing to play the media's game for them and whip up a storm.
Very true. Transfers are one thing, internal conversations are a hole new different level on info. It just spreads more dislike for Jose or (lesser so) Pogba for no reason at all as all - as this is totally unfounded, especially without hard quotes.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
First, the way they boss treats his players, is completely different from how the players should treat their boss. When your boss in the work criticize you, you don't go on and criticize your boss in the same. You will get fired. That's the basic here. Unless you want the players power to control the club, and you believe that only SAF of all managers should have the authority over the players, you should never approve of Pogba quotes, whatever you feel about your Mourinho. These are rules here.

Second, Mourinho has done everything in the previous week to kill the issues in public. He praised him heavily, and gave him the arm band instead of giving it to someone else like De Gea. When you praise the player in public then go on and hear him talking like that in the post match interview of the same game, you can't get that go easily.

Third, I really don't find any problem in Mourinho comments re Pogba performance in World Cup. Completely spot on and btw, when they were posted here most ones in the forum agreed he was right. People started to think they were moronic because Pogba appeared to be a baby who wanted someone to feed his ego instead of giving sensible comments about him carrying this performance to the club level. Pogba played a role in France NT similar to what Mourinho wanted from him at United, to be a CM who control tempo and initiate counters with defensive duties.

Shaw got slaughtered by Mourinho several times and still come and talk positively about him wanting to work hard to get Mourinho praise and find a place in the team while Pogba couldn't handle some sensible comments.

Needless to say, the one who defended Pogba the most in the media in his first season when he was getting slaughtered everywhere due to average peformancd and heavy price tag was Mourinho. Mourinho accused every pundits of being jeolous of Pogba money. He kept playing and shielding him despite his performance.

Even just prior to dropping him after Spurs game Mourinho went on a full rant in Everton game presser on Scholes because he criticzed Pogba. That was 2 weeks prior to Spurs game, 2 weeks only :

And here's another pressor from first season, completely slaughtering the pundits for daring to criticize Paul :

Ultimately all these are forgotten when he asked a response from him or dared to give a sensible comments about his performance in world cup and asking the same here, or dropping him for a poor performance.

Mourinho defended Pogba much more than the fans and media when he was under stick. It was time for Paul to show response for his own manager.

Instead he acted like a baby on the slightest criticism after getting defended by the same man for 1.5 years and now bitching to try and move to Barca.

Who can anyone not fault Paul on this is beyond. Whatever you feel about Mourinho, Pogba is the baby here.
Great post.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
All that is subject to opinion and I agree that some of the criticism has been deserved. More important thing is, why does it have to be done through the media? And we know who fired the first shot.

Whether Pogba can handle it or not, is another thing. He handled it well enough in my opinion, delivering a very good performance at the opening game. Then like every human being with a spine on himself he hit back, now we have a love affair going on.
Yeah, I remember Lampard saying he thought Jose was trying to embarrass him out of being a passenger too often. It's obviously not worked. But what do you do with an insanely talented player who doesn't perform? His needs have been catered to, we're playing a formation he himself says suits him, he plays in the position he wants to be in, we bought a midfielder who can share the workload with Matic/Pereira. What more is there to do to "get the best out of Pogba"? I remember Jose furiously defending Pogba against criticism from the old boys, he said his value would make sense a year on and defended him pretty much non-stop in his first year. What else is there to do really?

The criticism of Shaw was for me too nasty and shouldn't have been made publicly, but with Pogba you are talking about a player who fancies himself as a world beater and hasn't shown any consistency at United. And somehow that's all on Jose. Hopefully he's turned a corner with regards to performances.

MUFC OK

Might be the most sensible post written on this subject, I'll take note. The lack of quotes or seemingly any new development would suggest this is speculative journalism at best.

Infra-red

Very true. Transfers are one thing, internal conversations are a hole new different level on info. It just spreads more dislike for Jose or (lesser so) Pogba for no reason at all as all - as this is totally unfounded, especially without hard quotes.
Mourinho is quoted in the article. Plus we have his quotes from the summer and Pogba's quotes on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.