Di Marzio: Barca make bid for Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
First, the way they boss treats his players, is completely different from how the players should treat their boss. When your boss in the work criticize you, you don't go on and criticize your boss in the same. You will get fired. That's the basic here. Unless you want the players power to control the club, and you believe that only SAF of all managers should have the authority over the players, you should never approve of Pogba quotes, whatever you feel about your Mourinho. These are rules here.

Second, Mourinho has done everything in the previous week to kill the issues in public. He praised him heavily, and gave him the arm band instead of giving it to someone else like De Gea. When you praise the player in public then go on and hear him talking like that in the post match interview of the same game, you can't get that go easily.

Third, I really don't find any problem in Mourinho comments re Pogba performance in World Cup. Completely spot on and btw, when they were posted here most ones in the forum agreed he was right. People started to think they were moronic because Pogba appeared to be a baby who wanted someone to feed his ego instead of giving sensible comments about him carrying this performance to the club level. Pogba played a role in France NT similar to what Mourinho wanted from him at United, to be a CM who control tempo and initiate counters with defensive duties.

Shaw got slaughtered by Mourinho several times and still come and talk positively about him wanting to work hard to get Mourinho praise and find a place in the team while Pogba couldn't handle some sensible comments.

Needless to say, the one who defended Pogba the most in the media in his first season when he was getting slaughtered everywhere due to average peformancd and heavy price tag was Mourinho. Mourinho accused every pundits of being jeolous of Pogba money. He kept playing and shielding him despite his performance.

Even just prior to dropping him after Spurs game Mourinho went on a full rant in Everton game presser on Scholes because he criticzed Pogba. That was 2 weeks prior to Spurs game, 2 weeks only :

And here's another pressor from first season, completely slaughtering the pundits for daring to criticize Paul :

Ultimately all these are forgotten when he asked a response from him or dared to give a sensible comments about his performance in world cup and asking the same here, or dropping him for a poor performance.

Mourinho defended Pogba much more than the fans and media when he was under stick. It was time for Paul to show response for his own manager.

Instead he acted like a baby on the slightest criticism after getting defended by the same man for 1.5 years and now bitching to try and move to Barca.

Who can anyone not fault Paul on this is beyond. Whatever you feel about Mourinho, Pogba is the baby here.
Outstanding post and a much needed semblanace of balance.

I don't love Jose - far from it, but he defended a lot of average Pogba performances. Pogba shouldn't have gone out and complained like that to the press. 290k a week.

Yes you're a talent, but its about time you show it at the club who pays your wages maybe? Maybe don't walk about and stroll during some games?

Pogba buys into his own hype far too much. Feck me, imagine Carragher, Scholes or Lampard saying stuff like this.

Jose has been no saint with his snarky comments about Pogba this summer too, but largely, he has backed the player. Pogba is given a mammoth wage and a midfield role at a huge club - maybe its not his perfect role, but I've seen Modric look outrageously good as a left winger, I've seen Gerrard excel as RWB. Pogba is at least as naturally gifted as either of them. Last time he regularly played like he may reach Gerrard's level, let alone Modric's is 2 years ago.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think they have TRIED to put it to bed, as it is seen as a) a distraction, and, b) we are still wide open if Barcelona make a huge bid and Pogba decides to gone 1 further than his interview last week and trys to force a move.

The window closing does put us in a vulnerable position if b) was to happen - something which JM alluded to himself a few weeks ago, saying something along the lines of English clubs will need to be strong.

I'm not suggesting PP leaves, but, we are trying to calm the situation down, as Raiola must be absolutely loving this.
You mean the interview where he says he loves the club and was honoured to be captain?

People, like yourself, will always see what they want to see. I agree there's some kind of disagreement going on behind the scenes however that's life. Unfortunately we don't all get along excellently 100% of the time. That doesn't mean the extreme that Pogba and Mourinho hate each other and Pogba wants to leave.

If Mourinho hated Pogba and wanted him gone then he wouldn't have made him captain nor would he have singled him out for praise post Leicester game. We know this as Mourinho has history of falling out with individuals and he doesn't hold back.

If Pogba wanted out he wouldn't have made himself available for 80 minutes when asked by the manager nor would he have taken on the captaincy or spoke about his love for the club and the academy.

Irrespective of what happens United are in the driving seat, given Pogbas contract length, and Barca have no power in the slightest. They can bid again and again but we are under no obligation to sell and there is no indication that Pogba is AWOL or refusing to play a la Courtois.

I'm struggling to see the issue.

Bradley Leach

If I may, I think I can summarise this entire thread in one post. Pogba said something, Mourinho said something similar, Papers got a hold of what they said, realised they could get clicks and sales out of it; made up some bullshit for a title, included the quotes but completely ignored what they meant, came up with their own conclusions and posted it as fact. Now everyone here is losing their mind over what a paper has said.
In my limited experience, to the point where I was happy we signed Fellaini in 2013 (I know I'm sorry), I refuse to believe anything until its been confirmed by the club or the person themselves.
This is just papers taking things out of context to take advantage of transfer Muppets like us.

AshRK

There was a time when United fans would all be on side and the media bs on one. Sadly now people have become divided. Some just blindly trust the media people without even thinking the bs involved in it.

SammyUnited_83

You mean the interview where he says he loves the club and was honoured to be captain?

People, like yourself, will always see what they want to see. I agree there's some kind of disagreement going on behind the scenes however that's life. Unfortunately we don't all get along excellently 100% of the time. That doesn't mean the extreme that Pogba and Mourinho hate each other and Pogba wants to leave.

If Mourinho hated Pogba and wanted him gone then he wouldn't have made him captain nor would he have singled him out for praise post Leicester game. We know this as Mourinho has history of falling out with individuals and he doesn't hold back.

If Pogba wanted out he wouldn't have made himself available for 80 minutes when asked by the manager nor would he have taken on the captaincy or spoke about his love for the club and the academy.

Irrespective of what happens United are in the driving seat, given Pogbas contract length, and Barca have no power in the slightest. They can bid again and again but we are under no obligation to sell and there is no indication that Pogba is AWOL or refusing to play a la Courtois.

I'm struggling to see the issue.
Aren't you only see what you want to see as you failed to mention the part where he stated he would be fined etc etc?

There is an obvious issue, that is pretty clear. Hopefully they just patch it up and get on with it.

Inter Yer Nan

First, the way they boss treats his players, is completely different from how the players should treat their boss. When your boss in the work criticize you, you don't go on and criticize your boss in the same. You will get fired. That's the basic here. Unless you want the players power to control the club, and you believe that only SAF of all managers should have the authority over the players, you should never approve of Pogba quotes, whatever you feel about your Mourinho. These are rules here.

Second, Mourinho has done everything in the previous week to kill the issues in public. He praised him heavily, and gave him the arm band instead of giving it to someone else like De Gea. When you praise the player in public then go on and hear him talking like that in the post match interview of the same game, you can't get that go easily.

Third, I really don't find any problem in Mourinho comments re Pogba performance in World Cup. Completely spot on and btw, when they were posted here most ones in the forum agreed he was right. People started to think they were moronic because Pogba appeared to be a baby who wanted someone to feed his ego instead of giving sensible comments about him carrying this performance to the club level. Pogba played a role in France NT similar to what Mourinho wanted from him at United, to be a CM who control tempo and initiate counters with defensive duties.

Shaw got slaughtered by Mourinho several times and still come and talk positively about him wanting to work hard to get Mourinho praise and find a place in the team while Pogba couldn't handle some sensible comments.

Needless to say, the one who defended Pogba the most in the media in his first season when he was getting slaughtered everywhere due to average peformancd and heavy price tag was Mourinho. Mourinho accused every pundits of being jeolous of Pogba money. He kept playing and shielding him despite his performance.

Even just prior to dropping him after Spurs game Mourinho went on a full rant in Everton game presser on Scholes because he criticzed Pogba. That was 2 weeks prior to Spurs game, 2 weeks only :

And here's another pressor from first season, completely slaughtering the pundits for daring to criticize Paul :

Ultimately all these are forgotten when he asked a response from him or dared to give a sensible comments about his performance in world cup and asking the same here, or dropping him for a poor performance.

Mourinho defended Pogba much more than the fans and media when he was under stick. It was time for Paul to show response for his own manager.

Instead he acted like a baby on the slightest criticism after getting defended by the same man for 1.5 years and now bitching to try and move to Barca.

Who can anyone not fault Paul on this is beyond. Whatever you feel about Mourinho, Pogba is the baby here.
Very true. It's funny because Mourinho was considered delusional with his backing of Pogba and saying people are jealous of him, he's the best midfielder in the world etc; because it fit a certain narrative. A lot different than what's been spun now.

SirAF

Ageist

Spot fecking on! Take a bow!

AlexUTD

Fantastic post! Thumbs up :D Very reflected!

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Aren't you only see what you want to see as you failed to mention the part where he stated he would be fined etc etc?

There is an obvious issue, that is pretty clear. Hopefully they just patch it up and get on with it.
He could get fined for all manner of conments, some of which have nothing to do with Jose.

Just throwing it in the mix.

Colombian Mancunian

Various things:

1. When Pogba referee to say things he would be fined for, is mainly telling everyone that sport journalism is full of BS.
2. We will never sell Pogba, specially after him being essential for a WC winning France.
3. UEFAlona Can feck themselves hard. They don’t need Pogba, who’s suited for a more vertical style than silly tiki Taka.
4. Personally I’ll hate us strengthening the cuntiesh club ever. They are like Madrid but with hypocritical fake humbleness BS.
5. José will never sanction the sale of his best player.
6. Woody will never saw our more commercial player.
7. Pogba is at his home, and wants to be esential in United’s return to football pinacle.
8. I really hate Barcelona (the club, not the city, which is one of my faves). Hypocritical club which speak of themselves as saints while being even more cnuts than Madrid. I even refuse o call them Barça. A diminutive express amicable terms, and I hate friggin UEFAlona.

Xeno

8. I really hate Barcelona (the club, not the city, which is one of my faves). Hypocritical club which speak of themselves as saints while being even more cnuts than Madrid. I even refuse o call them Barça. A diminutive express amicable terms, and I hate friggin UEFAlona.
I am enjoying the new posters. More of the same pls.

Pav1878

Various things:

1. When Pogba referee to say things he would be fined for, is mainly telling everyone that sport journalism is full of BS.
2. We will never sell Pogba, specially after him being essential for a WC winning France.
3. UEFAlona Can feck themselves hard. They don’t need Pogba, who’s suited for a more vertical style than silly tiki Taka.
4. Personally I’ll hate us strengthening the cuntiesh club ever. They are like Madrid but with hypocritical fake humbleness BS.
5. José will never sanction the sale of his best player.
6. Woody will never saw our more commercial player.
7. Pogba is at his home, and wants to be esential in United’s return to football pinacle.
Points 4,5 and 8 are so true, and made me laugh so hard! Great post

The Bloody-Nine

If he wants to leave, let him. Wouldn't be the first time he's walked out on us. And he's been hugely underwhelming, anyway, given what we paid for him.

That said, Barca can wait until the next window so we can sign a replacement.

Post caveat: all of this press bullshit turns out to be true.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s all well and good impugning Pogba for what he said, and I must be clear and stress that I do not advocate player power; but we also have to remember how avoidable this all was. As someone who has spent his entire career in leadership positions, and written his dissertation on the subject, i can tell you that Mourinho’s comments about Pogba, publicly, were are sign of very poor leadership. He might be entirely correct in his assessment of the players performances, but these beliefs had to be expressed privately. This grief is entirely self inflicted.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I can't for the life of me understand why Barcelona are so interested in Pogba. In my estimation Pogba is at least as inclined as Neymar, and probably more inclined, to want to be the star, which he never will be when Barcelona have a number 10 who is astronomically better and more important to the team than Pogba ever will be. At least Neymar has put some sustained world-class performances and numbers on the field, when has Pogba ever done this? Certainly he hasn't done it for United.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I can't for the life of me understand why Barcelona are so interested in Pogba. In my estimation Pogba is at least as inclined as Neymar, and probably more inclined, to want to be the star, which he never will be when Barcelona have a number 10 who is astronomically better and more important to the team than Pogba ever will be.
Indeed, which is why he would suit Real Madrid.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Two players who wouldn’t get in our team and enough money to buy Gylfi Sigurdsson. That truly is the dream.
Barca are too generous. We turned it down because it would be wrong to take advantage of them. :p

haram

First, the way the boss treats his players, is completely different from how the players should treat their boss. When your boss in the work criticize you, you don't go on and criticize your boss in the same. You will get fired. That's the basic here. Unless you want the players power to control the club, and you believe that only SAF of all managers should have the authority over the players, you should never approve of Pogba quotes, whatever you feel about your Mourinho. These are rules here.

Needless to say, the one who defended Pogba the most in the media in his first season when he was getting slaughtered everywhere due to average peformance and heavy price tag was Mourinho. Mourinho accused every pundits of being jeolous of Pogba money. He kept playing and shielding him despite his performance.

People really forgot when Jose defended Pogba. It was everyone else that said Pogba could not do this, could not do that. Then he goes and does it at the world cup. Hilarious.

Greck

I can't for the life of me understand why Barcelona are so interested in Pogba. In my estimation Pogba is at least as inclined as Neymar, and probably more inclined, to want to be the star, which he never will be when Barcelona have a number 10 who is astronomically better and more important to the team than Pogba ever will be. At least Neymar has put some sustained world-class performances and numbers on the field, when has Pogba ever done this? Certainly he hasn't done it for United.
During the latter stages of the WC he took a more humble role to let other attackers shine. Neymar on the other hand isn't capable of a single selfless act on the pitch. He almost always wants every attack to be run through him. He's a different level of primadonna even immature pre-prime C.Ronaldo couldn't touch

trezeguet

Supports
Spartak Trnava
I also thought Pogba has been underwhelming. But after this World Cup, and his first glorious game of the season (without pre-season), I am starting to think Paul really is a bit special. If he sorted his head and sacked his agent. Was a monster against Leicester, just unstoppable. He is a freak physically. If only Pogba works under a manager who respect him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DiceRoller

Was a monster against Leicester, just unstoppable.
That’s why you break the world record - for big performances at home to Leicester.

He looked good against some weaker teams last season but utterly ananymous against the big boys.

When he’s stepping up against City, Chelsea, Liverpool and making the difference in a big game when not surrounded by top talent (France’s squad) I’ll start calling him a player.

He’s been ok-ish as a Utd player. One good performance doesn’t change that.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
That’s why you break the world record - for big performances at home to Leicester.

He looked good against some weaker teams last season but utterly ananymous against the big boys.

When he’s stepping up against City, Chelsea, Liverpool and making the difference in a big game when not surrounded by top talent (France’s squad) I’ll start calling him a player.

You must’ve buried your head in the sand for entirety of last season then. Pogba produced some of his best performances last season vs top teams. Arsenal away and home, Chelsea home, Spurs SF, City away etc.

His problem has always been to sustain that consistency during his tenure so far, couldn’t disagree more with you.

Colombian Mancunian

He destroyed City away last season and prevented pep lifting the trophy at our face.

meamth

Pogba is so quiet on social media, the media took this opportunity to sensationalize stuff!

I think Pogba is focused on the season after the success he had with France. Less social media, do your work.

DiceRoller

You must’ve buried your head in the sand for entirety of last season then. Pogba produced some of his best performances last season vs top teams. Arsenal away and home, Chelsea home, Spurs SF, City away etc.

His problem has always been to sustain that consistency during his tenure so far, couldn’t disagree more with you.
Hasn’t been our player of the season, hasn’t been in a PFA team of the year since he rejoined, hasn’t scored more than 6 league goals in a season, has scored 2 goals against top six teams.

I’m fine that you “couldn’t disagree more” but doesn’t own or control games against top teams generally and let’s be honest, Arsenal are not a top team.

Fridge chutney

It's pathetic that media-driven fictional soap operas supercede football these days.

Websites like the Sun need clicks to keep coming even when it's not matchday. So it's no surprise that journalists make stuff up.

It's rather sad that people buy it.

Hellboy

First, the way the boss treats his players, is completely different from how the players should treat their boss. When your boss in the work criticize you, you don't go on and criticize your boss in the same. You will get fired. That's the basic here. Unless you want the players power to control the club, and you believe that only SAF of all managers should have the authority over the players, you should never approve of Pogba quotes, whatever you feel about your Mourinho. These are rules here.

Needless to say, the one who defended Pogba the most in the media in his first season when he was getting slaughtered everywhere due to average peformance and heavy price tag was Mourinho. Mourinho accused every pundits of being jeolous of Pogba money. He kept playing and shielding him despite his performance.

post of the year for me.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
During the latter stages of the WC he took a more humble role to let other attackers shine. Neymar on the other hand isn't capable of a single selfless act on the pitch. He almost always wants every attack to be run through him. He's a different level of primadonna even immature pre-prime C.Ronaldo couldn't touch
I understand where you're coming from. But when Neymar was at Barcelona, he did rein this in, and actually had a good understanding and partnership with Messi, while playing as a left winger. He didn't want to play there, he wanted to play through the middle, as he did when Messi was injured. Whereas with Pogba, his performances at times for United have been little short of pathetic. But you're correct that he showed somewhat more maturity in the World Cup, so maybe he has finally grown up.

el3mel

Don't know. Starting to not mind it at all tbh. Was thinking about how Liverpool sold Coutinho and used his money to strengthen everywhere thus ending up with a much better team than what they had with Coutinho.

But knowing us we'll take money and either put it in bank account or splash it on Bale. It hurts to see fecking Liverpool planning for their football team much better than us.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Don't know. Starting to not mind it at all tbh. Was thinking about how Liverpool sold Coutinho and used his money to strengthen everywhere thus ending up with a much better team than what they had with Coutinho.

But knowing us we'll take money and either put it in bank account kr splash it on Bale. It hurts to see fecking Liverpool planning for their football team much better than us.
I wouldn’t count on us using the money in the right way. We would definitely go for a high profile signing to address the marketing needs that would follow the departure of someone like Pogba. It would need to be someone who would immediately become an iconic player here so definitely not like the transfers that Liverpool have done recently.

We also don’t need the money from Pogba sale to buy new players.

I still wouldn’t really cry if he went. I don’t think he will win us trophies in the long run and he’s definitely nowhere near as good as he thinks he is currently.

el3mel

I wouldn’t count on us using the money in the right way. We would definitely go for a high profile signing to address the marketing needs that would follow the departure of someone like Pogba. It would need to be someone who would immediately become an iconic player here so definitely not like the transfers that Liverpool have done recently.

We also don’t need the money from Pogba sale to buy new players.

I still wouldn’t really cry if he went. I don’t think he will win us trophies in the long run and he’s definitely nowhere near as good as he thinks he is currently.
I don't think we're as financially very rich when it comes to transfers as we think we're. We're like everyone else around us at the moment. We can splash 100m on one player, but most clubs can do it now and our budget never exceeds 150m, so this 100m player will come in expense of other signings. Liverpool owners have always been very rich. They just changed their policy last few years and started to care about the team.

My only grip is as you said, pretty sure we won't use this money to build a proper side at all. Will splash it on Bale and will still look shite. We haze zero direction or plan on how to build a football team it actually hurts that Liverpool and City are doing all right things in the market when we're that shite when it comes to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.