Did Championship Manager teach Solskjaer the art of rebuilding a squad?

luke511

Semi seriously, I feel like Solskjaer's shrewdness and ruthlessness in the market is quite reminiscent of getting stuck in on Championship manager, he's already said he used to be obsessed with it in his playing days. I wonder how much of doing that has helped him in real life in the same situations :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Semi seriously, I feel like Solskjaer's shrewdness and ruthlessness in the market is quite reminiscent of getting stuck in on Championship manager, he's already said he used to be obsessed with it in his playing days. I wonder how much of doing that has helped him in real life in the same situations :lol:
Ole isn't shrewd. Cantona, Evra, Vidic, Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Hernandez were all shrewd buys. None of ours has been. They've all been solid though.

AshRK

Ole isn't shrewd. Cantona, Evra, Vidic, Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Hernandez were all shrewd buys. None of ours has been. They've all been solid though.
James is a shrewd buy, Ighalo is a shrewd buy. I would even argue AWB is a shrewd buy. Yes it cost 50m but for a 21 year old who has been superb, it really looks like value for money.

Gehrman

James is a shrewd buy, Ighalo is a shrewd buy. I would even argue AWB is a shrewd buy. Yes it cost 50m but for a 21 year old who has been superb, it really looks like value for money.
If he ever comes near the lvl of Marcelo in his prime i'd say the transfer was shrewd.

romufc

I'd argue that Bruno looks very good value for money too.

luke511

Eh? Bruno and Ighalo were very shrewd, especially in a January window.

romufc

That was in a different era. you can spend £30/40m in the current market and still be shrewd business.

E.g. I would say KDB to Man City was Shrewd.

Ighalo, James was good business.

If Bruno continues, he could be that too.

AshRK

I'd argue that Bruno looks very good value for money too.
Yes Bruno for 47m is a shrewd business. Btw found it funny how the commentator yesterday kept on inflating Bruno's price to 68m.

romufc

Yes Bruno for 47m is a shrewd business. Btw found it funny how the commentator yesterday kept on inflating Bruno's price to 68m.
They all do that when it is a United signing. We may never have to pay the full amount if he doesnt win the CL and Ballon Dor anyway.

Aarron Swift

I feel hes gone the football manager route of having no problem with letting so much deadwood go in a short amount of time. In real life it tends to be 2/3 drips and drabs leaving per summer window with not much in January. Including loans out, we've seen 9 first team players that had all featured quite a lot for United under LVG, Jose and last season under Ole leave in space of 13 months Jan 2019-Jan 2020. The squad does seem to be heading in the right direction too

SlimDizzle075

I would say the 11 years he played under SAF and how he saw him have to constantly re-freshen and rebuild that team had a huge effect as well. Ole was there for the late 90's, Early 00's and still around for the 07-08 version. he emulates SAF, he knows what he wants from players and he knows what types of players will give him what he wants.

luke511

I would say the 11 years he played under SAF and how he saw him have to constantly re-freshen and rebuild that team had a huge effect as well. Ole was there for the late 90's, Early 00's and still around for the 07-08 version. he emulates SAF, he knows what he wants from players and he knows what types of players will give him what he wants.
Yeah most likely a bigger factor :lol:

Mainoldo

If they are expensive they are not Shrewd.

Your pretty much getting what you paid for. KDB was not shrewd business.

macheda14

Ronaldo wasn't shrewd, he was being looked at by a lot of other big clubs. We were just lucky to play him in the friendly and buy him straight away.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Based on transfer business alone I’d give ole another window and season to hopefully see it get together. All of his signings seem like good lads but winners too.

based on our football not so much but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as our injuries have been awful and he still doesn’t have a right winger. He’s done well against the big teams. He doesn’t throw players or the club under the bus in public either. The lads seem happier. It really does feel like we are building something long term here again finally....

Back to the op hes shipped out most of the players we would have on an fm save. Signed a Few wonderkid type players. The creative midfielder we’ve been crying out for. RB. CB and captain sorted and the players causing strife behind the scenes quickly cut out of the picture. He’s singing players that really want to be here. There’ll be no more ADM or Neymar talk. it’s looking better all the time ....

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't know what the title means. But maybe.
The OP is suggesting that Ole acquired his managerial skills from playing a computer game, rather than playing under the best footballer manager ever to walk the earth and learning from him in the process.

I mean it would be an interesting theory if it wasn't a total shit one. Meh.

luke511

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wouldn't say Cantona was shrewd he had just helped Leeds to a division 1 win the season prior and Peter Schmeichel had won the Euros with Denmark.

Gehrman

I wouldn't say Cantona was shrewd he had just helped Leeds to a division 1 win the season prior and Peter Schmeichel had won the Euros with Denmark.
Well I guess it depends on what the definition of shrewd is. Fergie's assistant exclamied about Cantona "Has he got a broken leg or what?" when he heard how small the transfer fee was.

For me I just see it as getting great players for a bargain.

Gehrman

Tbh I think a lot of clubs could be better off simply by navigating the transfer market in FM. Their wonderkids are usually spot on.

pacifictheme

That was in a different era. you can spend £30/40m in the current market and still be shrewd business.

E.g. I would say KDB to Man City was Shrewd.

Ighalo, James was good business.

If Bruno continues, he could be that too.
Wasn't de bruyne one of the most highly rated players not at a big club at the time and cost 50 million? Pretty much the opposite of shrewd really.

pacifictheme

Tbh I think a lot of clubs could be better off simply by navigating the transfer market in FM. Their wonderkids are usually spot on.
A lot of clubs buy football managers data. Thr in game stuff has been edited to be slightly random but their raw unaltered data is the biggest and best scouting network in the world. Clubs would be foolish not to use it in some way.

romufc

Wasn't de bruyne one of the most highly rated players not at a big club at the time and cost 50 million? Pretty much the opposite of shrewd really.
Fair, he was good business then. £50m for him is a steal really in this market.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm not sure what you lot are smoking if you think any of Bruno, AWB, or James were shrewd business.

Bruno was the 2nd most expensive transfer ever from the Portuguese league. AWB was one of the most expensive full-backs ever. James was one of the most expensive signings from a Championship side ever.

A shrewd signing is getting a relatively low profile player for a low fee and they end up over-performing for the club. No signing under Ole so far will ever satisfy that criteria except for maybe Ighalo.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Fair, he was good business then. £50m for him is a steal really in this market.
This market didn't apply to De Bruyne, City signed him 5 years ago, that was before the PSG effectively exploded the market.

RUCK4444

:lol: :lol: This place.

I can’t even really be bothered replying to this, but As others have said James, Ighalo, AWB to some extent with his age and ability.

Hes only had one summer window FFS!

You expect more than 2-3 shrewd signings on top of the more expensive acquisitions?

It’s quite literally at the point on here where anything below goat level prowess from Ole is unacceptable and not worthy of praise.:rolleyes:

Gehrman

:lol: :lol: This place.

I can’t even really be bothered replying to this, but As others have said James, Ighalo, AWB to some extent with his age and ability.

Hes only had one summer window FFS!

You expect more than 2-3 shrewd signings on top of the more expensive acquisitions?

It’s quite literally at the point on here where anything below goat level prowess from Ole is unacceptable and not worthy of praise.:rolleyes:
It just depends how you definte shrewdness

Zlatattack

If he ever comes near the lvl of Marcelo in his prime i'd say the transfer was shrewd.
So it's only worldies who are shrewd buys then? I take it Dele Ali, Vardy, Robertson, - not really all that?

AFC NimbleThumb

This concept that because ‘no other club has ever done it’ we should be accepting of this rebuild being conducted at a snails pace is something that baffles me.

We employ countless scouts on a full time basis & all the members of the ‘transfer committee’ are employed full time.

Money may be an issue, as we can’t spend endlessly but I don’t see why every transfer needs to be as prolonged as signing a Neymar for instance.

This squad is in need of top tier talent undoubtedly but where I expect more from transfers come from identifying the Andrew Robertson’s, the Park Ji-Sungs - Periera came off the bench yesterday & should be nowhere near the squad - I’d expect an effective ‘transfer committee’ to have found better options for the squad by now.

We’ve undoubtedly conducted some good business in the last 2 windows but in a summer window where City [League winners] signed 2 internationals I expect us to work harder & produce more - maybe I expect too much.

Onto Championship Manager; no it’s taught him nothing. Where’s the Brazilian regen with 20 pace & 19 finishing? meh.

hobbers

If we're now defining £20m for Dan James as shrewd we'd better be redefining the likes of Obertan as shrewd as well. Similar signing (right now) allowing for inflation.

Not that there's a problem with taking punts on lower league players from time to time, that's how you end up with Vardys, Maguires and Andy Robertson's on the cheap.

James Peril

James, too early to tell, not a starter. Besides, we desperately needed a right winger/forward to make us better, this never happened. Ighalo? Why? Again, we need a star striker to challenge for the CL and PL, Ighalo is... not going to make a big difference for us. AWB is a solid professional and defender, but huge question-marks over his attacking ability. We all know by now that attacking full-backs are paramount if you want to win trophies, we have none. And Maguire? Solid, good header, but extremely slow and poor on the ball, again, unlike the modern model where pace is so important. Playing a high line with him is dangerous, which again pushes us down and makes us concentrate on counters.

Not saying these are bad players, but they were text-book signings in the market, at a very high cost. We didn’t need (just) James, we needed better and we are punished for it.

Bruno is a shrewd buy, if not extremely available to the first bidder willing to match the price - so not exactly rocket science. As for Football Manager, I’d rather have a manager that didn’t play video games.

And can we please stop using the word rebuilding!? It’s not like all the players were placed in Corona-camps for nine months, a lot just aren’t that good... it happens at all clubs.