g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Did Championship Manager teach Solskjaer the art of rebuilding a squad?

romufc

This concept that because ‘no other club has ever done it’ we should be accepting of this rebuild being conducted at a snails pace is something that baffles me.

We employ countless scouts on a full time basis & all the members of the ‘transfer committee’ are employed full time.

Money may be an issue, as we can’t spend endlessly but I don’t see why every transfer needs to be as prolonged as signing a Neymar for instance.

This squad is in need of top tier talent undoubtedly but where I expect more from transfers come from identifying the Andrew Robertson’s, the Park Ji-Sungs - Periera came off the bench yesterday & should be nowhere near the squad - I’d expect an effective ‘transfer committee’ to have found better options for the squad by now.

We’ve undoubtedly conducted some good business in the last 2 windows but in a summer window where City [League winners] signed 2 internationals I expect us to work harder & produce more - maybe I expect too much.

Onto Championship Manager; no it’s taught him nothing. Where’s the Brazilian regen with 20 pace & 19 finishing? meh.
He's had one summer window which he used to get rid of deadwood first. It is hard to see many teams concluding 5/6 deals at once in a window.

Real Madrid went and spent all that money, how many games have those signings played?

In comparison, how many games have our signings played?

It is clear Ole did not want to panic in the transfer window, he wants the right players in and he is doing that. 2/3 more right players and we will be looking like a solid team.

12 months to rebuild isn't bad.

AshRK

If we're now defining £20m for Dan James as shrewd we'd better be redefining the likes of Obertan as shrewd as well. Similar signing (right now) allowing for inflation.

Not that there's a problem with taking punts on lower league players from time to time, that's how you end up with Vardys, Maguires and Andy Robertson's on the cheap.
3 goals and 6 assists in PL in his first season here is a decent return. And had our attackers been more clinical he could have even reached double figures in assists column. Did we expect him to pull Ronaldo's number. The problem is we have put too much pressure on him by asking him to be the main man in wings. He has been decent and no way near Oberton level bad but of course whatever suits people's agenda.

AshRK

James, too early to tell, not a starter. Besides, we desperately needed a right winger/forward to make us better, this never happened. Ighalo? Why? Again, we need a star striker to challenge for the CL and PL, Ighalo is... not going to make a big difference for us. AWB is a solid professional and defender, but huge question-marks over his attacking ability. We all know by now that attacking full-backs are paramount if you want to win trophies, we have none. And Maguire? Solid, good header, but extremely slow and poor on the ball, again, unlike the modern model where pace is so important. Playing a high line with him is dangerous, which again pushes us down and makes us concentrate on counters.

Not saying these are bad players, but they were text-book signings in the market, at a very high cost. We didn’t need (just) James, we needed better and we are punished for it.

Bruno is a shrewd buy, if not extremely available to the first bidder willing to match the price - so not exactly rocket science. As for Football Manager, I’d rather have a manager that didn’t play video games.

And can we please stop using the word rebuilding!? It’s not like all the players were placed in Corona-camps for nine months, a lot just aren’t that good... it happens at all clubs.
Not every buy needs to be a starter. For example if Ighalo scores some important goal coming from the bench that would be considered a shrewd buy. You are right it is too soon to say anything but so far all the buys have been good.

Rafaeldagold

James is a shrewd buy, Ighalo is a shrewd buy. I would even argue AWB is a shrewd buy. Yes it cost 50m but for a 21 year old who has been superb, it really looks like value for money.
AWB definitely not..50 m for a right back everyone knew about can’t be described as ‘shrewd’

He also isn’t attacking enough to be honest, good player & glad he’s in the squad.

But 50m & shrewd buy he isn’t

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Dont think it's possible to have our points tally even on football manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
AWB definitely not..50 m for a right back everyone knew about can’t be described as ‘shrewd’

He also isn’t attacking enough to be honest, good player & glad he’s in the squad.

But 50m & shrewd buy he isn’t
Yes. 50 million pound players are 'shrewed'. James could quality to be one but he has to prove to be good enough in the first place. I think all our signings have some good qualities (some more than others) but remains to be seen whether they're good enough especially given the layout.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The OP is suggesting that Ole acquired his managerial skills from playing a computer game, rather than playing under the best footballer manager ever to walk the earth and learning from him in the process.

I mean it would be an interesting theory if it wasn't a total shit one. Meh.
Ah, it's about video game. I thought He meant Ole must have learned something from an actual Championship Manager. Yeah weird theory indeed.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Fees aren't particularly relevant to this discussion for two reasons.

One, the latest PL TV deal made all of the club's rich. For example, £30 million for Troy Deeney is only possible if Watford have plenty of bank, which they do by virtue of that TV deal.

Two, we're Manchester United. Everyone knows we have money and everyone asks for a higher fee than they'd charge 99% of other clubs.