Dimitar Berbatov | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

datura

Berbatov's had his chance, we need to get rid ASAP.
Idiot.

Great goal from him, he needed it as he would have been murdered on here for the missed chances (he should have buried the header). Him and Rooney looked like strangers in the first half an hour, then they started to link encouragingly a few times. Not the best game for either, but a goal each so good for the confidence going into the Chelsea match.

Addis

Beckham, in toward Schmeichel, it's come for Dwigh
Idiot.

Great goal from him, he needed it as he would have been murdered on here for the missed chances (he should have buried the header). Him and Rooney looked like strangers in the first half an hour, then they started to link encouragingly a few times. Not the best game for either, but a goal each so good for the confidence going into the Chelsea match.
He'll never be a great goal scorer.

What the hell do you think SAF bought him for? To play fancy flicks and put the ball in the net after a class control and turn? You people here are blinded by his style that you can't see he's a footballer. The modern game needs people like him to do what he did today.

Hopefully this'll shut up the Berba-doubters up for a while.

datura

He'll never be a great goal scorer.

What the hell do you think SAF bought him for? To play fancy flicks and put the ball in the net after a class control and turn? You people here are blinded by his style that you can't see he's a footballer. The modern game needs people like him to do what he did today.

Hopefully this'll shut up the Berba-doubters up for a while.
You said to get rid if him, now you're supporting him? :confused:

If I missed the irony, I apologise. And Berbatov is a good goalscorer, just look at his stats for Spurs, Leverkusen and Bulgaria. At club level before he joined us he was scoring 20+ goals a season.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Can't think of many other players in the league that could kill the ball with their first touch like he did today. Absolute class.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I didn't think he had a great game. He's been a bit below par in his last few outings. Of course, Rooney's been even more off form and neither of them are helping each other to get going again.

When Berbatov does find his form again we can expect the whole team to look much much better. Without him, we struggle to create. All our best attacking play goes through him. Hugely important player for us this season and it's no coincidence that the form of the team has dipped along with his form.

Good to see him score with a piece of indiviual brilliance on a day he played badly, mind you. That's the mark of a great striker.

Denis' cuff

he's looking more comfortable than he did but he still needs to assert himself more. Still a bit frustrating but then again, he's not the only one.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Berbatov has upped it big time this season. I know he only has four - though I'd point out that they have all come in separate matches, so that's a good impact - but he is getting into a lot of dangerous positions. It's only a matter of time before goals flow on a more prolific basis. I'm delighted with him.

He has something different that can open up tight games. Think of Sunderland - an equalising goal of real class when we were playing poorly. Then yesterday, the opener in a tight, tumescent game. The new Ronaldo?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
he's looking more comfortable than he did but he still needs to assert himself more. Still a bit frustrating but then again, he's not the only one.
He's consistently creating openings for team mates and getting into scoring positions himself.

I'd say Rooney is more a source of frustration lately.

Denis' cuff

add to that, he's actually been pretty unlucky with some superb efforts and off the top of my head his goals have been valuable, not just the icing on the cake variety. Like Valencia, I think he just needs time to find his feet and it looks like he's getting there. Must say I'm a bit more perturbed by slections upfront bearing in mind some of the options we have.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
add to that, he's actually been pretty unlucky with some superb efforts and off the top of my head his goals have been valuable, not just the icing on the cake variety. Like Valencia, I think he just needs time to find his feet and it looks like he's getting there. Must say I'm a bit more perturbed by slections upfront bearing in mind some of the options we have.
Yeah, he was unlucky twice against Bolton with a couple of great volleyed efforts.

He's not spending as much time dicking around on the halfway line this season.
His body language also looks really positive this season, relative to last.

Denis' cuff

Yeah, he was unlucky twice against Bolton with a couple of great volleyed efforts.

he even smiled after the goal - which is the main thing :smirk:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
he even smiled after the goal - which is the main thing :smirk:
Be cynical, but it's a big indicator that he's settled and playing with confidence. His body language was introverted last season, whereas he's having a bit of a go at team mates now if he feels something needs saying.

Denis' cuff

Be cynical, but it's a big indicator that he's settled and playing with confidence. His body language was introverted last season, whereas he's having a bit of a go at team mates now if he feels something needs saying.
I think it's a good indication of him settling in. Any "cynicism" :smirk: is aimed at those who seem to think it's more important than his contribution.

busbysaces

Against scouse, and yesterday he was throwing arms about at our own players, when other than the goal (class), he was ineffecive.

CptMarvel

His control has been off this season but he's been getting himself into more dangerous areas. Not sure if I'd rather he was putting people clean through from the halfway line or standing round the box waiting to make something from a half chance. He'd been involved in more goals after this many games last year so it's a difficult choice.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
‘A scorer of great goals, but not a great goal scorer’

A phrase heard in football about many players, but never has it more fittingly applied than to Man Utd’s Dimitar Berbatov.

On Halloween night against Blackburn the Bulgarian both tricked and treated United’s fans, showing why opinion on him is so divided at the club. Before the 55th minute Berbatov could have had a hat trick after being thwarted by a last ditch Gail Givet tackle, having a header tipped over by Paul Robinson when he was almost certain to score and having a long range shot tipped around the post.

Then on the 55th minute, a spectacular moment of magic went some way to erase the memory of his earlier spurned chances as he flicked up a scuffed Patrice Evra shot, turned and volleyed the ball into the bottom corner. Simply brilliant.

But how beneficial are performances like these to United? On another day the ball would not have fallen so kindly to Berbatov and we would have been lamenting another goal less Berbatov appearance.

The goal was only his 4th this season and 18th in 58 United appearances, and for £30m Man Utd fans must undoubtedly expect more. Upon Ronaldo’s departure to Madrid, Sir Alex Ferguson called on his players to the fill the gap left by the Portuguese star as well as chip in to make up for the goals that Ronaldo undoubtedly took with him. Some more than others have answered this call with Wayne Rooney revelling in his new more central role but it seems Berbatov hasn’t and it is now in his second season that fan’s patience will begin to wear thin as he does himself no favours in trying to justify his hefty price tag.

It has not always been like this as Berbatov had healthy goal returns in both of his full seasons with Tottenham but it appears his output has dropped drastically since signing for United notching just 14 in his first season. Some blamed the pressure of playing on a bigger stage, whilst Sir Alex Ferguson claimed not to have used Berbatov properly in his first season, so United fans must expect more from him in this his second and although his general play has improved his goal scoring has not. Instead United fans have been treated to a plethora of missed chances against Arsenal and Man City amongst others. The fact that United find a way to win these games means Berbatov’s performances get over looked, but what about when United do not take the 3 points?.

Berbatov’s creativity and ability is not in question, at his best he is a joy to watch. He is always on hand with assists for his team mates and of the 14 goals he scored last season, the ones against Bolton, Chelsea and Middlesbrough especially were crucial.

If you couple today’s goal with cheeky skills like the one against West Ham last season and deft touches and flicks and you have your ultimate highlight reel player, but playing for the biggest club in the world and for £30m, is that enough?
Football FanCast – Berba: ‘A scorer of great goals but not a great goal scorer’

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Dimitar Berbatov: My best is yet to come at Manchester United

Dimitar Berbatov: My best is yet to come at Manchester United - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Dimitar Berbatov: My best is yet to come at Manchester United
Published 23:00 14/12/09 By David Anderson

Dimitar Berbatov admits he has only shown "glimpses" of his best form at Old Trafford because he has struggled with his record £30.75million price tag.

Berbatov says he has laboured under the weight of expectation at being the most expensive player in Manchester United's history.

But the Bulgarian striker accepts that comes with the territory when you play at Old Trafford and has vowed to deliver on a more consistent basis for the United supporters.

"The fans have probably seen glimpses of my best goals, passes and games," he said. "I know you need to show that all the time and that's my main goal - in every game to show my best.

"I think every person is different in coping with pressure, every person thinks differently. For me, sometimes it is difficult because people expect so much of me.

"But that's the way it should be because the people here have paid so much money for me.

"I try to give my best for the team to win things. I think I did that in my first season. We won the championship and I think everybody was happy about that."

Berbatov has struggled to hold down a regular starting place at United in recent weeks, managing just four goals in 18 appearances this season, and is often criticised for his work rate.

He ignores the critics of his laconic style and says he won't change the way he plays.

"I try not to pay attention to this because always you have people who will say white is black and black is white," he said.

"I read a book recently and the book started saying unless you have beauty and grace, you are powerless to win a heart. I like to play like that, with beauty and grace. I like to do stuff like that.

"I've been here over a year now and everything is going well for me. I'm happy here, I love it here.

"The manager has been in charge of this great club for so many years that of course you are going to learn things. If you want to develop, this is the place to be."

VoetbalWizard

Scoreboard Red

it just goes to show though that the fact we were willing to buy Benzema shows that Berbatov would have been benched as Rooney and Benzema would have started.
Whats the point having a great player if he doesnt play great? I want so much for him to do well, but he's just not.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Well if he'd said it wasn't there'd be a queue of taxis outside OT today, the special offer of Bulgarians travel free if the destination is the airport.

Look, don't get me wrong i think our Dimitar here is a probably a decent guy and in his way is trying his best for the club, but those quotes strike me as the words of someone who is feeling the pressure. This was a topic we covered in the other Berba thread, his mental strength and confidence at the very highest level.

We need him for our hopes this season to move beyond his comfort zone and some how deal with the expectation. If he can't, then i at the least dont' see how he can command first choice candidac in the Starting XI.

Nathan

I would like to see more of him......he plays well for the team. He also creates goals, he needs better service from the wide players.

He will produce the good for United.

Scoreboard Red

Yep

For anyone who missed it, it is worth a watch:
https://www.redcafe.net/f6/shearer-meets-berbatov-278772/

I still believe in the Berba - the doubters will be proven wrong !
I would like to see more of him......he plays well for the team. He also creates goals, he needs better service from the wide players.

He will produce the good for United.
He has half a season to do so...Fergie will buy a new striker to partner Rooney this summer regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.