Dimitri Payet

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by ash_86, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Sep 17, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

He has been off the radar since he left West Ham. Had good impact in the PL too. Scored a banger for Marseille today

2. Sep 17, 2018

meamth Full Member

Immense ability as a player, but poor mentality as a professional. Being at home is his priority than his legacy.
  3. Sep 17, 2018

IAmAWinner Full Member

That is an absolutely incredible goal, what technique.
  4. Sep 17, 2018

izec Full Member

I think he has incredible ability, proper baller. Pity he couldnt go as far ad his talent deserved
  5. Sep 17, 2018

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He was at West Ham though, not a top team. I can understand why he would have preferred to move back to Marseille once they got money and were likely to have European football that did not end up with getting knocked out by Astra Giurgiu two years in a row.
  6. Sep 17, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate Scout

And he didn't want to leave in the first place, he only left Marseille because they needed money.
  7. Sep 17, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

Very good player. He never reached his potential in terms of footballing achievement but he's a homebird, there's no criticism that can stick of a bloke being happy doing what he's doing.

Nice goal too.
  8. Sep 17, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

I respect that though. Better than someone who's just constantly chasing money.
  9. Sep 17, 2018

meamth Full Member

Having bigger ambition is for the brave people. Money comes along with it.
  10. Sep 17, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

Not everyone is wired the same. And I wouldn't link money directly to the ambition in football. I don't think those that try to constantly wrangle a new contract are being more ambitious. I'll take Payet's more old school attitude any day.
  11. Sep 17, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

He never wanted to leave Marseille in the first place.
  12. Sep 17, 2018

adamwest Full Member

What a goal :drool:
  13. Sep 17, 2018

Wino1 Full Member

No doubt about it, the goal was a brilliant finish. But he hasn’t been that great since going back.

He has these flashes of brilliance but a lot of the time he is frustrating to watch. He’ll smash in a goal like that then misplace a 2 yard pass.
  14. Sep 17, 2018

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Go to Marseille and you'll see why he never wanted to leave, and always wanted to go back.

They adore him. I went there when he was at West Ham. There were still graffiti murals around, next to those of Zidane.

He's huge down there. He lives in a stunning part of the world, playing football for the team that he loves. Why some people struggle with the idea of that dumbfounds me.

He left the shit-show that is West Ham to move home, play in a Europa League final for a great team and but for an injury in that game, would have a World Cup medal now.

Seems to be a great guy with his head on straight.
  15. Sep 17, 2018

Horseshit. Played in a European final, finished a narrow fourth (in a fight for second) in his home league, for his home club, and missed out on a World Cup winners medal due to injury.

I think the guy has struck up the kind of balance that 99% of footballers would envy.
  16. Sep 17, 2018

prateik Full Member

Yeah. Really unfortunate that he got injured in the finals. Might have helped his team win the finals and then would have won the WC with France.
  17. Sep 17, 2018

yumtum DUX' bumchum

No one should be criticised for leaving West Ham.
  18. Sep 17, 2018

meamth Full Member

I can understand the European final. Fourth isn't a great achievement in French league. Missed on World Cup doesn't mean you will win it even France won it.

Thing is, he could easily be the next Mahrez but he opt to be the Rooney back to his boyhood club in his prime. That's all I'm saying. He could have moved to the big 6 or other top teams if he was mentally a top player.
  19. Sep 17, 2018

tenpoless Full Member

Great goal.

His move to Marseille was a correct one too. He left before Moyes came and returned home where He'd live happily than to have skinny Frankenstein as his boss. It's a brilliant move.
  20. Sep 17, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Or maybe for many players PL is not the ultimate destination. Player who is paid good money playing for West ham vs paid good money and playing for Marseille? Easy choice to make.
  21. Sep 17, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Think of him as a scorer of great goals rather than a great player tbh. A bit like Quaresma.
  22. Sep 17, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    So what if he doesn't have insane ambitions?

Not everybody is a 'make it up the ladder at all costs' type of person. Some value enjoying life, family, loyalty etc more. The world would be an incredibly boring, unromantic place if everybody had the same mentality, and professional football would be a far more boring place without the likes of Totti, Gerrard, Le Tissier etc. Payet plays for a club he loves, a club which has a rich history and is competing in European finals, I don't get how that is showing a 'poor mentality'.

Honestly, people complain about modern football being soulless but then also attack players for genuinely caring about more than money and trophies with a club they have no attachment to.
  23. Sep 17, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Mahrez is currently a bench player so I don't think that fate interested him at all.
  24. Sep 17, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

Would say you’re very very wrong. What is brave about being a footballer?
    If bravery was financially rewarded, why do we have lots of homeless veterans?
  25. Sep 17, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

I can't blame him for that, he's not exactly 22/23 years old, he's in his 30s. He wasn't exactly challenging for honours at West Ham, was he? Realistically what could he do about his "legacy" for the last few years of his career? He was a pretty late bloomer to start with.
  26. Sep 17, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Where the feck have all the right sided attackers gone?
  27. Sep 17, 2018

Returning to his country, playing for an historic club like OM, in a nice and beautiful city is much more interesting for his legacy than rotting away at a shit club like West Ham.
  28. Sep 17, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I think it's more people thought after his excellent first season at West Ham he'd end up at an Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea. So competiting to win league title (Marseille aren't going to be taking it off PSG anytime soon) and in contention for champions league title. Maybe I'm imagining it but weren't Real Madrid linked to him that season? Made a move like Shaqiri and Mahrez have done.

Marseille big club of course but they have their limits with PSG having their strangehold over Ligue une.

It reminds me of Di Canio back in the day. Struggled to impose himself at the major Italian clubs then found his niche at premier league clubs around 8-10th in the table. Would he have been as effective if he'd gone to Man. United when they wanted him, not so sure.
  29. Sep 17, 2018

He would have got into the world cup winning squad, bar the injury.

Marseille finished 2 points off second I think.

He's in a far better position than Mahrez (warming the bench at City) and had a better season last year. Using Mahrez as an example seems obtuse.
  30. Sep 18, 2018

Rockets Redglare New Member

In what world was Rooney prime when he went back to Everton?
  31. Sep 18, 2018

B20 HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Absolutely this.

It's droll how so many fans only think of football in terms of moving towards the top without any other considerations.
  32. Sep 18, 2018

After his first excellent season, no one serious was in for him. People can think what they want about where he'd end up but if there are no serious offers, what can he do ? I have never heard Real Madrid being interested in him. Him being a late bloomer cost him a better career for sure but going back to Marseille was the right decision without a doubt
  33. Sep 18, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa