Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maignan I doubt will be sold for less than £70m by Milan. Roma sold Allison for a similar amount to Liverpool, so I wouldn't expect Milan to as for any thing less.

Costa has the potential to be just as good as Maignan imo, and will cost considerably less even if his £50m buyout clause is met.

SAFMUTD

Get him, he's a modern GK. Will only improve. I hope we are after him, De Gea's contract is running out so I think it's either this summer or we miss on him.

MUFC OK

Maignan I doubt will be sold for less than £70m by Milan. Roma sold Allison for a similar amount to Liverpool, so I wouldn't expect Milan to as for any thing less.

Costa has the potential to be just as good as Maignan imo, and will cost considerably less even if his £50m buyout clause is met.
Is Maignan even that good i.e. Alisson level? I've not seen anything overly special when I've watched him. Think £70m is far too excessive. Would rather go for Sanchez.

MUFC OK

I really dislike the term 'modern goalkeeper'. A goalkeeper's primary job is to save shots on goal. Granted distribution is important but really don't want us to have a keeper that's great at passing but who is an average shot stopper in net.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is Maignan even that good i.e. Alisson level? I've not seen anything overly special when I've watched him. Think £70m is far too excessive. Would rather go for Sanchez.
It depends on what you're looking for in a keeper. And certain managers who aim to coach a dominant brand of football, want their keeper to be proactive and hence create the first numerical superiority in the build up phase, especially against teams who are adept at pressing high in a compact vertical block. And being proactive doesn't just stop there either, because sweeping and commanding the box is also important and hence it's been reported that Luis Enrique values those traits very highly in a keeper hence de Gea isn't part of his Spain squad.

We can't on one hand preach about wanting to implement a proactive brand of football whilst also turning a blind eye to the reactive keeper we have in goals because that's a contradiction imo. A Man Utd keeper should be a complete keeper with the aerial ability, ball playing ability , sweeping ability, along with being a good shot stopper. And in today's game with a heavy emphasis on a coordinated pressing game, it's even more important to have a keeper who will help you rather than hinder you against that approach where evading the press isn't just the role of the out field players, because the keeper should also have the ability to help the team break the opponents pressure.

And as far as Maingnan is concerned, he's a complete keeper and there was doubts surrounding his suitability to fill the big gloves of the departing Donnarumma at Milan, but he's not only filled those gloves, he's been a upgrade on Donnarumma, especially when it comes to distribution and Milan have gone onto win the league. He's been immense for Milan. So he's worth just as much as the Allison, Roma sold to Liverpool, if not more due to what he's achieved at Milan.

Rolaholic

Simon would be a gut punch for DDG seeing as he took his Spain place

Kag

Renewing De Gea’s contract would rival the Bailly/Jones renewals for stupidity. It may even beat them in terms of detriment to the team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I really dislike the term 'modern goalkeeper'. A goalkeeper's primary job is to save shots on goal. Granted distribution is important but really don't want us to have a keeper that's great at passing but who is an average shot stopper in net.
I clicked on a Youtube compilation of Costa and the first 3 or 4 minutes was just long passing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'd actually say that a goalkeepers highest priority is to limit how many shots he has to deal with. If I had a choice between an average shot-stopper who is great at claiming crosses, dominating his box, sweeping, communicating with defenders and distribution, and a great shot-stopper who is average-poor at all those aspects, I'd easily take the first. May not make as many amazing saves, but he'd almost certainly end up conceding less in total (and the team as a whole would probably score more as well).

MUFC OK

I clicked on a Youtube compilation of Costa and the first 3 or 4 minutes was just long passing.
Hahah same, was watching it thinking "where's the goalkeeping?". Most of the saves in that video weren't anything special either.

MUFC OK

I'd actually say that a goalkeepers highest priority is to limit how many shots he has to deal with. If I had a choice between an average shot-stopper who is great at claiming crosses, dominating his box, sweeping, communicating with defenders and distribution, and a great shot-stopper who is average-poor at all those aspects, I'd easily take the first. May not make as many amazing saves, but he'd almost certainly end up conceding less in total (and the team as a whole would probably score more as well).
Goalkeepers don't often have much of a say on that. Dominating the box is different to ball playing capabilities and I think that's definitely something we should prioritise in our next keeper. The likes of Schmeichel and VDS were elite at claiming the ball.

It doesn't help that we've been deprived of a keeper who is below above average at everything other than shot stopping for the past 10 years.

whitbyviking

Hahah same, was watching it thinking "where's the goalkeeping?". Most of the saves in that video weren't anything special either.
look at the stats in a match and then compare how many saves a keeper makes vs how many times he has to pass.

Kicking is a huge part of the game, which is very often neglected.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not as good as Ederson (who is an All-Time great with the ball at his feet), but pretty good in his own right — in particular, the long-passing combination with him and Martínez could be revolutionary! :drool:

damn some of those passes

RVN1991

Renewing De Gea’s contract would rival the Bailly/Jones renewals for stupidity. It may even beat them in terms of detriment to the team.
De Gea has been our best performer for the good part of ten years while Jones and Bailly have hardly played at all during that span. Not saying De Gea should be given a new contract but hardly similar situations at all.

Suedesi

It looks like the football department is looking for a new keeper with the decision resting on ten Hag on whether he wants de Gea to stay or go.

Costa and Simon among the targets.

De Gea would represent the lowest cost solution — even with high wages — because no transfer fee is required. Ten Hag is not closing that door.
“His first two games of the season were not his best performances but after that you see he brings us a lot for the defence department and stability,” Ten Hag said. “As a person, also, I like him. I co-operate really well with him.”

Talks could be anticipated to go much more smoothly than in 2019, when then-executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was left exasperated at the time taken to reach an agreement.

De Gea had an agreement to work with Jorge Mendes’ Gestifute agency, but no legal contract. In 2019, Mendes was negotiating the extension with United but discussions kept dragging. United had agreed to pay what De Gea wanted but Mendes was adding new clauses or modifying bonuses each time the deal got close.

One day Woodward bumped into De Gea at Carrington, and asked what more United could do about the offer. De Gea was unaware on the specifics so they went to Woodward’s office and he was shown what was on the table. De Gea realised his demands were perfectly met and signed the contract the next day.
I hate that greasy Mendes motherfecker so much!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He was very mistas prone last season but looks so much more confident these days.

Porto might have found them selves the reincarnation of vitor Baía

This kid is really good and is already the starter for our national team. I believe his World Cup performances could determine if he makes a move next summer or not.

I’m very high on his potential though. I rate this kid for sure.

Another one to look at is Antonio silva from Benfica. 18 year old center back who looks like a natural leader! Did a hell of a job vs PSG and Juve and has been brilliant all season.

Oranges038

I’m afraid we’ll miss out on him as we preserve funds for a striker and Rb. I can see us kicking the goalkeeper can down the road… we have to get DeGea on a sane contract not the £375k/ wk nonsense he’s on. If we can get decent fees for Pellistri, Diallo, VDB, Wan Bissaka, we could use that towards a keeper.
There's no way DDG would accept what he is truly worth. Anything over 100k a week for him is too much. Can't see any top club offer him anything near it either.

Lux Thunder

How I see it, in terms of stopping shots vs distribution, is that keeping the ball and dominating matches through possession is a very effective way of defending.

We saw against Spurs and in the first half against Chelsea that we can maintain a high line and press then and in that kind of setup our goalkeeper was barely tested. Ederson is a living example, without even checking his stats I'm pretty sure he will probably be at the top3 for clean sheets but if you highlight stats as saves and shots faced, he will be at the bottom of the list.

So, goalkeepers in possession-based teams who press high have much less to do in terms of facing shots than teams that soak up pressure and fancy chances on the counter - it is not a suprise that De Gea looked so great under certain coaches. Having said that, in this current setup it is much more essential to have a goalkeeper who is good at distribution and sweeping IMO - he will have a ball much more at their feet during the game than he would actually have to make saves.

To conclude, I prefer buying Sanchez or Costa than extending De Gea's deal. Sommer is also an interesting option with only a year left on his contract.

Kag

De Gea has been our best performer for the good part of ten years while Jones and Bailly have hardly played at all during that span. Not saying De Gea should be given a new contract but hardly similar situations at all.
What has that got to do with renewing his contract?

croadyman

How I see it, in terms of stopping shots vs distribution, is that keeping the ball and dominating matches through possession is a very effective way of defending.

We saw against Spurs and in the first half against Chelsea that we can maintain a high line and press then and in that kind of setup our goalkeeper was barely tested. Ederson is a living example, without even checking his stats I'm pretty sure he will probably be at the top3 for clean sheets but if you highlight stats as saves and shots faced, he will be at the bottom of the list.

So, goalkeepers in possession-based teams who press high have much less to do in terms of facing shots than teams that soak up pressure and fancy chances on the counter - it is not a suprise that De Gea looked so great under certain coaches. Having said that, in this current setup it is much more essential to have a goalkeeper who is good at distribution and sweeping IMO - he will have a ball much more at their feet during the game than he would actually have to make saves.

To conclude, I prefer buying Sanchez or Costa than extending De Gea's deal. Sommer is also an interesting option with only a year left on his contract.
Yeah we need to move with the times on this,no doubt De Gea has been a great servant for this club over a decade though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
But do we then allow him to walk away for free? We won't get much considering the package he is on.

izec

But do we then allow him to walk away for free? We won't get much considering the package he is on.
Nobody will buy him on the high wages. Even if he takes a reduction, it will still be quite high. I think he needs to leave on a free if we want rid.

sglowrider

Nobody will buy him on the high wages. Even if he takes a reduction, it will still be quite high. I think he needs to leave on a free if we want rid.
But at 31y.o and a lot of mileage left it will look very silly to let him walkway for free. Its a bad look.

The United

But at 31y.o and a lot of mileage left it will look very silly to let him walkway for free. Its a bad look.
Wow, I thought he was like 34 or something. He should be at his peak now. But it does not seem like it.

sglowrider

Wow, I thought he was like 34 or something. He should be at his peak now. But it does not seem like it.
A bit of perspective -- Van der Sar joined United at 35y.o.

So letting go/giving away DDG for free isn't a decision that should be taken lightly.

Kag

Yes, we do. He’s been here for over a decade so we should work to benefit all parties.

By letting him go and buying somebody better, we both improve our team , reduce our wage bill and hopefully manage his transition with a bit of dignity so that he gets a move that’s right for him at this stage in his career.

Kag

So letting go/giving away DDG for free isn't a decision that should be taken lightly.
We won’t get a good fee for De Gea no matter how many years sit on his contract. He’s probably the highest paid goalkeeper in world football. The club isn’t going to keep him around when they can bring in a better alternative who will improve the team.

reddevilz007

Seeing how we’ve been playing the last few games, we don’t need the best shot stopper if we continue to dominate possession.
A bit like Liverpool and Man City in dominating possession, their keepers barely have to make any saves. And having a keeper that can distribute quickly and smartly, and assist will be more beneficial to us than just someone who can only make saves.
Our keeper won’t need to be the mvp like the times of Mourinho and OGS.

largelyworried

The primary job of every player on the pitch is to help their team to win. A keeper who is decent at shot stopping but makes the entire team play worse is not an asset.

RkkMan

Absolutely no club in this universe is paying a fee to sign De Gea for the same reason nobody wanted Ronaldo too old to justify his ridiculous wages for short term
He'll have to either accept a massive wage cut to the £100-150k(absolute MAX) a week ballpark or let him go on a free because it would be super expensive to keep him for a year still on £375k a week

Status
Not open for further replies.