Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Point well taken. Modern fans are obsessed with subsidiary attributes of modern keepers, whose primary responsibility is to ensure that balls do not cross their goal line.
I think the point is at a top club, where you are looking to dominate play, you'd rather have a dynamic keeper comfortable sweeping well out of his box and very good in his distribution but is an average shot stopper, than a keeper like DDG that is often scared to come off his line and is pretty poor with the ball at his feet even though he is/was a fantastic shot stopper.

Proactive defense means you aren't having to deal with many shots on your goal, because the opposition can't get near it often enough in 90 minutes.

Obviously you don't want someone who's basically a midfielder that's never made a save back there, but there's a reason Pep immediately binned Joe Hart for Bravo (who was terrible at shot stopping). He recognized that it's worth the sacrifice if he can upgrade the overall dynamic of the team while in possession and playing out from the back.

lex talionis

I think the point is at a top club, where you are looking to dominate play, you'd rather have a dynamic keeper comfortable sweeping well out of his box and very good in his distribution but is an average shot stopper, than a keeper like DDG that is often scared to come off his line and is pretty poor with the ball at his feet even though he is/was a fantastic shot stopper.

Proactive defense means you aren't having to deal with many shots on your goal, because the opposition can't get near it often enough in 90 minutes.

Obviously you don't want someone who's basically a midfielder that's never made a save back there, but there's a reason Pep immediately binned Joe Hart for Bravo (who was terrible at shot stopping). He recognized that it's worth the sacrifice if he can upgrade the overall dynamic of the team while in possession and playing out from the back.
I agree that the ideal keeper excels at all aspects of play. But very few keepers excel at all aspects of play. Shot stopping excellence cannot be sacrificed for excellence in distribution.

Poor distribution can result in the kind of goal Brentford scored on us, but in truth everything fell apart that match. And in truth, Maguire was pretty terrible playing the ball out the back. And in truth until this season our outfield players were pretty terrible showing for the ball anywhere.

Meanwhile, De Gea was arguably our best player last season.

All that said, De Gea has knuckled down and improved his distribution, which is great. Dean Henderson has nothing on David De Gea and in fact never did.

reddevilz007

I agree that the ideal keeper excels at all aspects of play. But very few keepers excel at all aspects of play. Shot stopping excellence cannot be sacrificed for excellence in distribution.

Poor distribution can result in the kind of goal Brentford scored on us, but in truth everything fell apart that match. And in truth, Maguire was pretty terrible playing the ball out the back. And in truth until this season our outfield players were pretty terrible showing for the ball anywhere.

All that said, De Gea has knuckled down and improved his distribution, which is great. Dean Henderson has nothing on David De Gea and in fact never did.
Really? Everytime the ball goes back to De Gea, it’s almost granted that the opposition will get the ball back.

Rauður Djöfull

Asked a friend from Portugal who is a Benfica fan how much he values this guy and if he'd like us to buy him and he said please let Utd buy him as soon as January

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Really? Everytime the ball goes back to De Gea, it’s almost granted that the opposition will get the ball back.
Not that you're exaggerating or anything. You'd never in a million years do that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not that you're exaggerating or anything. You'd never in a million years do that.
It wasn't that much of an exaggeration up until recently. De Gea's terrible distribution, combined with the players he was kicking to being poor at actually competing for and winning that ball, meant that we constantly just turned over possession after it went back to De Gea.

There's definitely been an improvement the last few weeks. On the one hand credit him for improving, on the other it's annoying that he didn't seem to consider his distribution a weakness he needed to improve on up until this time. Even if the manager didn't want us to play in a way to utilise that ability that much (which I'd believe with Mourinho, but not so much Ole), De Gea still should have been aiming to be better than he was.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It wasn't that much of an exaggeration up until recently. De Gea's terrible distribution, combined with the players he was kicking to being poor at actually competing for and winning that ball, meant that we constantly just turned over possession after it went back to De Gea.

There's definitely been an improvement the last few weeks. On the one hand credit him for improving, on the other it's annoying that he didn't seem to consider his distribution a weakness he needed to improve on up until this time. Even if the manager didn't want us to play in a way to utilise that ability that much (which I'd believe with Mourinho, but not so much Ole), De Gea still should have been aiming to be better than he was.
You could say that about any player you choose, there's no point looking backwards now unless it can inform your knowledge of the player's future. End of the day they're not paid because they're rocket scientists, it's down to the club to buy/develop players and hire coaching staff that can work together to achieve their goals. When they don't, all the players end up looking bad.

Also, turning over possession when kicking long is not the same problem as turning it over when passing short. Clearing it in itself can be a good thing, though of course it's not always good enough. If the guys competing for the high ball and / or the guys who are supposed to be pressing don't do their job though, then that makes the keeper look bad, but not all long balls are a mistake.

Furthermore, if you look at De Gea's stats he's not actually been playing all that many long balls this year, I think he's roughly in the 30th percentile in the league? And more than 1 in 3 have found a United player, which isn't great, but not terrible, and either way gives you a chance to win the ball back high up the pitch.

Rauður Djöfull

Meaning? He doesn't rate his goalie and wants him out of the club ASAP?
Diogo plays for Porto, that mate I mentioned is a Benfica fan (rival team) and hopes we or anyone buys him because he thinks he is a monster kepper and it will be a big loss for Porto

themanguydude

It can depending on the team's playstyle. Ederson, for example, is a pretty shit shot stopper, but the fact his distribution helps City dominate possession meant that they are able to hide his weaknesses while playing to his strength.

Likewise, someone that has good shot stopping but poor distribution would probably look good for low possession/quick transitions teams because these teams maximises their strength while minimising their weaknesses

You're starting to sound like those "But but but Ronaldo scored 24 goals and was our best player last season, why don't Ten Hag play him!!!!! REEEEE"

Team should be picked based on meritocracy. To hell with past achievements.

lex talionis

It can depending on the team's playstyle. Ederson, for example, is a pretty shit shot stopper, but the fact his distribution helps City dominate possession meant that they are able to hide his weaknesses while playing to his strength.

Likewise, someone that has good shot stopping but poor distribution would probably look good for low possession/quick transitions teams because these teams maximises their strength while minimising their weaknesses

You're starting to sound like those "But but but Ronaldo scored 24 goals and was our best player last season, why don't Ten Hag play him!!!!! REEEEE"

Team should be picked based on meritocracy. To hell with past achievements.
Two points: First, City dominate possession because of the brilliance of their outfield players from the back line through the midfield to front line, not because of their keeper. Second, last season wasn’t that long ago…and the problem that De Gea critics can never work out is who exactly should we bring in to shitcan De Gea for? Allison and Neuer are never coming to Old Trafford and I’m having a laugh if anyone suggests Ramsdale.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Two points: First, City dominate possession because of the brilliance of their outfield players from the back line through the midfield to front line, not because of their keeper. Second, last season wasn’t that long ago…and the problem that De Gea critics can never work out is who exactly should we bring in to shitcan De Gea for? Allison and Neuer are never coming to Old Trafford and I’m having a laugh if anyone suggests Ramsdale.
Football exists outside of the PL

TheReligion

Abusive
Disagree completely. The goalkeeper is a big part of Peps system hence him moving from Hart to Bravo then settling on Ederson.

A keeper of that style elevates a team both defensively and offensively with and without the ball.

JB7

I'll pick up your second point as your first point is absolutely ridiculous and has already been addressed.

To answer point two there have been lots of names mentioned on here over the past few months with differing levels of realism, from Maignan to Costa, Sanchez to Raya, Sa to Maximiano, Bazunu to Navas; the club have been strongly linked with Sommer and Meslier, and also and put an offer in for Trapp. The reality is that we could bring in half the goalkeepers in the league and see an improvement even on this version on De Gea; that's not an exaggeration by the way - people can say what they like about an improvement over the last few games, which I agree there has been, but even those improvements are statistically pretty poor by PL standards.

Vapor trail

He's very highly rated. Some even saying he's among the best in Europe. If he's good at distributing the ball then it's a plus. I just feel like De Gea isn't necessarily bad but he's not the profile of keeper ETH favours.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
His evolution this season has been insane.

4th penalty saved in a row in the CL.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
How is he with his feet?
Not as good as Ederson (who is an All-Time great with the ball at his feet), but pretty good in his own right — in particular, the long-passing combination with him and Martínez could be revolutionary! :drool:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
surely that’s a record of some sort? when has a keeper ever saved 4 in a row

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
surely that’s a record of some sort? when has a keeper ever saved 4 in a row
Unless I'm mistaken, only one of the penalty saves from earlier in the day will be registered (the retake, vs. Noa Lang). In modern top-flight football, the record in one competition probably belongs to Samir Handanović (who saved 5 consecutive penalties in the Serie A in 2014). Others have saved 4, but mostly in shootouts — Helmuth Duckadam is pre-eminent among them as he did that in the 1986 European Cup final. An impressive feat all the same, aye; Costa has established a new single-season Champions League record, and is already in the upper echelons of the All-Time Champions League rankings...
  • Iker Casillas (7 total penalties saved)
  • Andriy Pyatov and Petr Čech (5 total penalties saved)
  • Gianluigi Buffon, Keylor Navas, Marc-André ter Stegen and Manuel Neuer (4 total penalties saved)
  • Antonis Nikopolidis, Diogo Costa, Ederson Moraes, Grégory Coupet, Jan Oblak, Joe Hart, Kevin Trapp and Oliver Kahn (3 total penalties saved)

Mr PG

I’m afraid we’ll miss out on him as we preserve funds for a striker and Rb. I can see us kicking the goalkeeper can down the road… we have to get DeGea on a sane contract not the £375k/ wk nonsense he’s on. If we can get decent fees for Pellistri, Diallo, VDB, Wan Bissaka, we could use that towards a keeper.

ROFLUTION

My biggest problem with that is probably that he is not more modern than de Gea. He is not better either.

But I would really love to have a more proactive goalkeeper again. During the Ferguson-era we played with quite aggressive proactive goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Barthez and van der Sar. I think the biggest exception to the rule was de Gea. And I also think that was the worst period of Fergusons era in terms of the football we played. Perhaps a bit concidental, but the style of the goalkeeper matter.

Of course, the quality of the goalkeeper is more important than anything. But I would be willing to sacrifice a few great saves for a goalkeeper more willing to step of the line. I think goalkeepers that do will prevent quite a few situations from arising. If that goalkeeper can pass the ball well to that would be a big bonus.
Barthez was terrible compared to the others/rest of the team. Proactive in a clown-way.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Unless I'm mistaken, only one of the penalty saves from earlier in the day will be registered (the retake, vs. Noa Lang). In modern top-flight football, the record in one competition probably belongs to Samir Handanović (who saved 5 consecutive penalties in the Serie A in 2014). Others have saved 4, but mostly in shootouts — Helmuth Duckadam is pre-eminent among them as he did that in the 1986 European Cup final. An impressive feat all the same, aye; Costa has established a new single-season Champions League record, and is already in the upper echelons of the All-Time Champions League rankings...
  • Iker Casillas (7 total penalties saved)
  • Andriy Pyatov and Petr Čech (5 total penalties saved)
  • Gianluigi Buffon, Keylor Navas, Marc-André ter Stegen and Manuel Neuer (4 total penalties saved)
  • Antonis Nikopolidis, Diogo Costa, Ederson Moraes, Grégory Coupet, Jan Oblak, Joe Hart, Kevin Trapp and Oliver Kahn (3 total penalties saved)
Interesting, thanks! I knew in shootouts it would be a bit closer but I never knew handanovic managed 5 in a row. Impressive!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It looks like the football department is looking for a new keeper with the decision resting on ten Hag on whether he wants de Gea to stay or go.

Costa and Simon among the targets.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It looks like the football department is looking for a new keeper with the decision resting on ten Hag on whether he wants de Gea to stay or go.

Costa and Simon among the targets.

Don't have a subscription, Unai Simon of Bilbao?

Status
Not open for further replies.