Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Happy for him. Hope he kicks on but we should not let this season stop us from bringing in a serious option at RB especially as Dalot can play LB/RB.

1 good season in 6 years means he can keep his place in the squad in my opinion. And to be perfectly honest if there is a good RB option at a sensible price that would bench him so be it.

jesperjaap

Story of the last XI years. Except De Gea, who was genuinely world class for a couple of seasons in the middle, no one else can claim to have performed on an elite level consistently to win the award.
I agree, think Casemiro, Shaw and Martinez been at the required standard but ones legs and desire have gone and the other two have been injury plagued this year. Fernandes and Rashford have had spells but we are talking small periods over 3/4seasons, lek you say no consistency

Last edited:

jesperjaap

who celebrates mediocrity? Player of the year just means the best performer in a particular season. Performance itself could be average - and it would be enough if it was still the best of the lot
Yes sorry, dont mean elebrating him getting POTY, more the way people are celebrating him this season as being fantastic when he has been merely decent

jesperjaap

None of these players are better than Dalot, younger though. It would be a good idea to ship out AWB and get in Vanderson potentially. What's Vanderson's fitness record like?
I think some I named are, some arent. But in that list for example Ben White, dont really rate him.....but he is an average player who has an excellent season. Dalot is an average player who has had an average season.

I think we should keep one of DAlot/Bissaka and replace, not going to go into the debate of which and wny etc, but we should go for an attacking full back and have missed out on a few I feel like Gusto/Livaramento. I havent seen a huge amount of Vanderson this season and how he has progressed, so cant comment but really liked watching him previous season. Frimpong is another though not even really seen him....but that is the kind of profile we should be after

Crimson King

I think some I named are, some arent. But in that list for example Ben White, dont really rate him.....but he is an average player who has an excellent season. Dalot is an average player who has had an average season.

I think we should keep one of DAlot/Bissaka and replace, not going to go into the debate of which and wny etc, but we should go for an attacking full back and have missed out on a few I feel like Gusto/Livaramento. I havent seen a huge amount of Vanderson this season and how he has progressed, so cant comment but really liked watching him previous season. Frimpong is another though not even really seen him....but that is the kind of profile we should be after
We were heavily linked to Gusto, Chelsea were clever to move quickly on him, especially since James has been perma-crocked. Livramento has also been injured way too much so far, so I'm glad we didn't move on him.

AWB should be the one to go because he's just never going to offer enough in attack. Dalot can be frustratingly inconsistent with it, but he can actually cross/pass, and will score the occasional banger. We should look to sign someone we think can eventually surpass him and bring them in as a rotation option, to begin with. I think if Dalot is the worst of your 4 starting defenders then that's totally fine, the issue this season is he's often been the 'best'.

Shifting AWB will probably be difficult though, so we'll be stuck with both of them again next season.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This thread is nuts...

I often wonder if I'm in a parallel universe when I step into this thread - or maybe there are a few WUMs.....

All I know is I'm as underwhelmed in Dalot as I am with others, do not understand some of the excessive praise.

Marwood

Fact that you think he was brought in as a 1st team player (a 19y old from Portuguese league) makes me doubt any judgement you have on the player..

Also ots expected to have nuances instead of this all or nothing
True he shouldn't have been considered 1st team material at 19 but its also a fair point to say its taken too long for him to reach this level.

I'm all for youth players, a project, but United can't wait five or six years for a player to reach an acceptable level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This thread is nuts...

I often wonder if I'm in a parallel universe when I step into this thread - or maybe there are a few WUMs.....

All I know is I'm as underwhelmed in Dalot as I am with others, do not understand some of the excessive praise.
That opinion is definitely nuts.

How can you lump him in with all the others? He's had some poor games this season but is clearly one of a handful of players that have done themselves justice this season and in a different league entirely to our many poor performers.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That opinion is definitely nuts.

How can you lump him in with all the others? He's had some poor games this season but is clearly one of a handful of players that have done themselves justice this season and in a different league entirely to our many poor performers.
What can I say PM I'm trying to be open-minded...... I see ordinary performances getting overhyped and I'm questioning my recollection. After reading this thread I've been watching him closer and I've seen good things, but I've also seen bad things.

Is it fair to say that he's being overhyped by his supporters? Seems so, in my observation.... But that's what we do right?

I'll keep watching, it's not like I hate him (or anyone tbh) like some of the weirdos on here...

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Fact that you think he was brought in as a 1st team player (a 19y old from Portuguese league) makes me doubt any judgement you have on the player..

Also ots expected to have nuances instead of this all or nothing
He played over 30 games for the first team despite being injured the first 3 months of the season he signed. But sure, he wasnt signed for the first team. :houllier:

Stop rewriting history just because it doesn’t suit your narrative.

Other clubs would have slapped a sell on clause fee and moved him on after 3 years. We got lucky our incompetence finally paid off on him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Dalot has played 151 games for us and you think he's been good for less than 30 of them? Am I in the twilight zone?

He was too inconsistent in past seasons but still good in the majority of games. His issue was always consistency. He made critical mistakes (usually due to lack of concentration) in maybe 20% of games. For him to go from mediocre to good, it was always going to be about reducing that percentage and adding some extra attacking dimension to his game. He's unquestionably done that this season and now is when we want to criticize him?

I’ll happily take the counter-position here.

On this season's performances, there are very few RBs that you could reasonably describe as "far better". Dalot is doing what he's doing in the worst United side and system in decades, with constantly changing CBs next to him and a CDM having an atrocious season. And even though the PL is rich in RBs right now, I think he'd start for anyone bar Liverpool, City, and Spurs. Trippier is getting error-prone, Ben White has not been better this season and benefits hugely from Gabriel+Saliba+Rice, and Reece James is looking increasingly injury-prone at 24. Put Dalot alongside a stronger, stable CB pairing with a good CDM in front of the back line and see what happens when it's an apples-to-apples comparison.

On top of that, most of the other top RBs are comparatively one-dimensional vs Dalot. Barring Walker, no other RB has his athleticism and recovery pace (White is rapid but less physical). And he's become much more influential going forward as an extra man in midfield while also ironing out most of his errors. Unfortunately, I think you may get your wish in 1-2 years as I suspect Madrid will come knocking. But make no mistake, he's been very far from mediocre.

He's had a fantastic season, has an incredible mentality (wish more of our players had), and is easily our POTY.
Your standards for a good game is clearly lower than mine. Even up till Jan this year he was still fecking up at least twice each game with stupid brain farts. Onana and Maguire would have gotten slaughtered by the people here if they made similar mistakes.

Raven

What can I say PM I'm trying to be open-minded...... I see ordinary performances getting overhyped and I'm questioning my recollection. After reading this thread I've been watching him closer and I've seen good things, but I've also seen bad things.

Is it fair to say that he's being overhyped by his supporters? Seems so, in my observation.... But that's what we do right?

I'll keep watching, it's not like I hate him (or anyone tbh) like some of the weirdos on here...
This is just bizarre to me, are we not all his supporters given that he plays for United?

Cassidy

This is just bizarre to me, are we not all his supporters given that he plays for United?
Some fans clearly support some players more than the club, not talking about Dalot there though

jesperjaap

We were heavily linked to Gusto, Chelsea were clever to move quickly on him, especially since James has been perma-crocked. Livramento has also been injured way too much so far, so I'm glad we didn't move on him.

AWB should be the one to go because he's just never going to offer enough in attack. Dalot can be frustratingly inconsistent with it, but he can actually cross/pass, and will score the occasional banger. We should look to sign someone we think can eventually surpass him and bring them in as a rotation option, to begin with. I think if Dalot is the worst of your 4 starting defenders then that's totally fine, the issue this season is he's often been the 'best'.

Shifting AWB will probably be difficult though, so we'll be stuck with both of them again next season.
Well I didnt want to get into that, but I think we need an attacking RB, and Dalot is very athletic, but isnt anyting special going forward, but so weak in certain areas defensively. Also lets not forget which nobody has mentioned....cost far less than Bissaka and is probably worth more, so FFP forgetting for me the value of Bissaka in a squad for his 1 v 1 ability. I can understand why we didnt move for Livaramento and we cant sign anybody, but some of the deals we have at least had press links with even if no truth in and not gone for....along with the deals we HAVE made and sales we HAVENT made....no wonder we are where we are.

I am a bit biased on Dalot, never rated him, he is hardly at the top of the must leave list, but I just think it is only the youngsters Garnacho/Mainoo for decent breakthrough seasons deserve credit for showing promise....not a single other player in this side deserves any this season....maybe the other one would be Evans if anybody

Raven

I think you're going to be quite surprised when we get another RB and they end up playing second fiddle to Dalot in the same way people were surprised when we bought LBs who they thought would replace Shaw only for his quality to become even more evident.

Red Royal

None of these players are better than Dalot, younger though. It would be a good idea to ship out AWB and get in Vanderson potentially. What's Vanderson's fitness record like?
Whenever I see Vanderson mentioned for a right back role it reminds me of us getting Viv Anderson from Arsenal all those years ago... wow how time has flown by :)

NZT-One

I think you're going to be quite surprised when we get another RB and they end up playing second fiddle to Dalot in the same way people were surprised when we bought LBs who they thought would replace Shaw only for his quality to become even more evident.
Shaws well bespoken "quality", that he shows every third year of his time here. Which earned him a spot in the list of lets-move-him-on 's in a few peoples books. Although that surely also is connected with his injury record.

Raven

Shaws well bespoken "quality", that he shows every third year of his time here. Which earned him a spot in the list of lets-move-him-on 's in a few peoples books. Although that surely also is connected with his injury record.
His injury record is the only thing keeping him from being considered an all time great PL left back in my opinion.

Edit: And the fact that United have been useless for the last decade.

Cassidy

Is it really though? Best LB in the league at 18, technically and physically superb and a playmaker from LB.
Yes it is, and his inconsistency at United has not all been down to injuries either

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The things that set Dalot apart from the other defenders in our squad for me are that he's almost always fit, and that he's developed a superb attitude and displays leadership fairly consistently. That's why I was so annoyed when he left Kambwala all at sea the other day, because I expected more from him. There's very few players I can say that about at this club.

Cassidy

Feel free to point out where I've overrated Dalot.
I personally don't think I can say he is better than either Gusto or Livramento, I don't know if he is or not because he has been incredibly inconsistent in the time I have seen him and Gusto has had a good season, and Livermento has had an excellent season previously at Southhampton and looks very good everytime I see him play.

I guess we'll find out how he progresses after this season, he certainly had a good one either way

Raven

I personally don't think I can say he is better than either Gusto or Livramento, I don't know if he is or not because he has been incredibly inconsistent in the time I have seen him and Gusto has had a good season, and Livermento has had an excellent season previously at Southhampton and looks very good everytime I see him play.

I guess we'll find out how he progresses after this season, he certainly had a good one either way
So I guess I haven't overrated him then.

He's been very good for most of this season and was good last season up until Christmas. Hopefully he can continue his upwards trajectory because he has potential to get better.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Don't see having either of them as a "stuck with them" thing. It's literally the only position on the pitch where we have a good starter and depth covered, with players who aren't on ridiculous wages, who are at good ages, and who can stay fit.... to add Dalot can play on either side when needed given the left backs are all crocks. We absolutely shouldn't be looking to do anything with either RB.

Cassidy

So I guess I haven't overrated him then.

He's been very good for most of this season and was good last season up until Christmas. Hopefully he can continue his upwards trajectory because he has potential to get better.
I did say in my opinion....

Raven

I did say in my opinion....
It's hardly outrageous to say he's better than those 2.

I didn't rate him and wanted him sold up until about 2 years ago... He's developed massively since then, which I think is the point he finished growing into his adult body. This is hardly surprising, he was rated amongst the biggest FB talents in Europe as a teenager and moved for a few that reflected that. He started gaining some consistency around 22/23 as most players do. I think a lot of people are underrating him because of the shite season we're having and because they can't get over how bad he was a few years ago.

Crimson King

Don't see having either of them as a "stuck with them" thing. It's literally the only position on the pitch where we have a good starter and depth covered, with players who aren't on ridiculous wages, who are at good ages, and who can stay fit.... to add Dalot can play on either side when needed given the left backs are all crocks. We absolutely shouldn't be looking to do anything with either RB.
I think in an ideal world we would look to replace AWB. If we actually want to play an attacking style and at least somewhat dominate possession (I'd hope any manager would at least try and move us in that direction) then it's just too big a dropoff when he plays. He's athletic and good at 1v1 defending, but his ball striking technique is poor and his positioning when defending is suspect. I also think that one way to circumvent the lack of balls into a striker when you have inverted wingers is to provide width and overlaps through the fullbacks, which means when AWB plays we'd have to focus most of that down the left side.

However, I agree that it's not a priority and he certainly has his uses. He's still a good EPL level RB. Unless a good offer came in for him then yeah, it makes sense to hold onto him and strengthen other areas of the team first.

NZT-One

His injury record is the only thing keeping him from being considered an all time great PL left back in my opinion.

Edit: And the fact that United have been useless for the last decade.
Might just be me but I never really heard him called like that. At least apart from around here. But each to their own, he certainly has a lot of tools to be a very good fullback. I'd take him at 18-19 over the version we have now though, any day of the week. Even without considering the injuries. That Shaw version was awesome, always on the move, always bombing forwards.

At least now I understand how you also overrate Dalot in my opinion
That was my first thought as well. I have never really seen it with Shaw to be honest. He was very good, no question about it but for me, something was missing all the time and I felt he could be more influential but it didn't look like he wanted to really push it. Which coincidentally is one of the reasons I was/am a little hesitant towards Dalot. I think, him and Shaw are geting closer and closer skillset wise (which isn't a bad thing per se) but I feel we are missing out if we settle for two fullbacks that aren't really challenging opponents when attacking. Until this year, I thought, if we want that sort of player, fine, keep Shaw and replace Dalot with something more attacking. After this season I switched, still think we have to bring in a more attacking fullback but now I'd say goodbye to Shaw. Too injury prone.

Last edited:

Raven

Might just be me but I never really heard him called like that. At least apart from around here. But each to their own, he certainly has a lot of tools to be a very good fullback. I'd take him at 18-19 over the version we have now though, any day of the week. Even without considering the injuries. That Shaw version was awesome, always on the move, always bombing forwards.

That was my first thought as well. I have never really seen it with Shaw to be honest. He was very good, no question about it but for me, something was missing all the time and I felt he could be more influential but it doesn't look like he wants to push for it. Which coincidentally is one of the reasons I was/am a little hesitant in regards to Dalot. I think, him and Shaw get closer and closer skillset wise (which isn't a bad thing) but I feel we are missing out if we settle for two fullbacks that aren't really challenging opponents when attacking. Until this year, I thought, if we want that sort of player, fine, keep Shaw and replace Dalot with something more attacking. After this season I switched, still think we have to bring in a more attacking fullback but now I'd say goodbye to Shaw. Too injury prone.
There have been people who've suggested it in previous seasons but you're right, it's certainly not a commonly held opinion. That doesn't make it wrong though (or right). His intensity at 17-19 was far higher but he's become such a well rounded player over the years, technically incredible, physically dominant and tactically very important to us and England for the last few years 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately his injuries have fecked him badly the whole way through since his leg break.

Dalot is becoming quite similar to Shaw in terms of skillset but is always available and far more intense in his approach, he's also more than happy to take players on anywhere on the pitch. Where Dalot falls short of Shaw is his technical ability, whilst Dalot is technically very good, I doubt he'll ever be a graceful as Shaw.