5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Dominos

Dalot might be the most underrated player we have. He's not elite, but there's definitely a lot of fans who have a weird agenda against him.

AndyMUFC

Dalot goes under the radar a bit I think. One of our most consistent performers.

Danny

He's improved so much lately. Plays the system really well and his technical ability allows many of our attacks and build up play to progress

Ollie Derbyshire

Credit where it’s due he’s turned my opinion around, he’s been one of our better players this season and I’d now definitely keep him over AWB.

Amsterdam Devil

He's playing exactly how ETH used to play Timber at Ajax. When we attack he drops easily to fortify the midfield and enough speed to get back when necessary. Next step is to develop a good understanding with Garnacho
I think you mean Mazraoui at Ajax, Timber played more central most of the time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dalot goes under the radar a bit I think. One of our most consistent performers.
Agreed. Not only has he nailed down the RB position, he has covered LB position as well and performed well all season.

Sylar

Thought he overlapped a few times well but wasn't fed by garnacho. But did well to get up and down.

The block and roar were great

Lj82

Jose called him the best fb in his generation, which was really over the board and he didn't really show that he deserve that praise in his first few years.

Over the years that I didn't feel convinced by him, but I certainly rate him a lot more now. I guess he needed games to develop and he is definitely progressing well now. Whether or not we upgrade on him (I honestly don't know with who), he will continue to be an asset to the team given his flexibility and ability to play on the left as well.

NZT-One

What do you think of the examples I brought up of Dalot's contributions during the Wolves and Liverpool game? I mean if you can't see/acknowledge that those are not every day normal fullback activities, then it's hard to convince you otherwise. To be fair to, at least you admit your bias and that's fine. I'm not trying to catch you out btw but just trying to perhaps provide some context or an alternative POV from what I would see.
Ah sorry, yes I missed this part. To be perfectly honest, from the top of my head I can't really remember him in those games, which is most likely because I thought he didn't stood out. But I can go back and look through older posts. Is there a chance to re-visit the the grades you give on this site after a game? I'll check that as well - I understand you thought he was good in those games, yes?

And I agree with your point, that we as a team are struggling and for sure, this will effect the performances of all of our players, especially the younger ones.

DanClancy

Dalot might be the most underrated player we have. He's not elite, but there's definitely a lot of fans who have a weird agenda against him.
He's had so many poor games and made basis mistakes time and time again. He was better yesterday but he's going to have to perform like that every week if he wants to be first choice right back. Wan Bisaka is a goner though thankfully, nowhere near good enough.

Dan_F

I’ve always stated that Dalot is worth keeping over AWB, who really doesn’t have the technical ability for a top team. I’m not surprised he’s emerged as first choice under Ten Hag. He plays the system well and his positioning seem to be good when we have the ball. I guess defensively he can be found lacking at times, but that’s mainly modern full backs.

I can’t shake the fact that he seems to be really thick. I don’t know what it is about him.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I’ve always stated that Dalot is worth keeping over AWB, who really doesn’t have the technical ability for a top team. I’m not surprised he’s emerged as first choice under Ten Hag. He plays the system well and his positioning seem to be good when we have the ball. I guess defensively he can be found lacking at times, but that’s mainly modern full backs.

I can’t shake the fact that he seems to be really thick. I don’t know what it is about him.
Imo, if they're both happy to play a slightly reduced role, I'd keep both (at least for next season anyway.)

If we get in the Champions League or Europa next season, there's a guaranteed extra two games compared to this season. That coupled with the usual post international tournament fatigue means we're gonna need a big squad from August.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't think it's weird to dislike (actually dislike is the wrong word, I quite like him but I don't want him in the team on quality) him based on the fact he's often awful at defending and he's a defender.

He's also not really the answer going forward.

Good if was a back up but we need to upgrade massively from him.

criticalanalysis

Ah sorry, yes I missed this part. To be perfectly honest, from the top of my head I can't really remember him in those games, which is most likely because I thought he didn't stood out. But I can go back and look through older posts. Is there a chance to re-visit the the grades you give on this site after a game? I'll check that as well - I understand you thought he was good in those games, yes?

And I agree with your point, that we as a team are struggling and for sure, this will effect the performances of all of our players, especially the younger ones.
I wouldn't say he stood out (I mean how rare is it for a fullback to stand out?) but he did above average full back activities whilst playing in a team that's not really conducive for overlapping fullback/attacking plays.

I don't use the player ratings and never have on this site so I don't know about that but you can check the threadmarks at the bottom this page to go back to the post game comments.

I don't really want to be that guy.....but here's a highlight compilation of this season. Of course it doesn't show his many brainfarts this season but it does show a glimmer of his overall all around ability, which imo is quite high and again for a player, who's relatively inexperienced playing in a poorly coached team. The bits where he received the ball under pressure in the Liverpool game are there; one of them where he did brilliantly, strode into the middle of the open pitch and then fecked up the pass by choosing the hardest option but don't think they show it fully in the video.

And here's the Wolves game, where you can see his involvement in both goals

Knowing the context of the team and how we play, if you still think Dalot gives meh vibes and isn't all that, then there's not much more to say really. Between Dalot and peak Alves, there isn't really a middle ground out there, realistically available or imo that actually exists.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
His workrate and stamina are amazing.
The development he has gone through has been really impressive. Always been one of few players with the right mentally. Starting to look like a player I’m really glad to have in the squad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The development he has gone through has been really impressive. Always been one of few players with the right mentally. Starting to look like a player I’m really glad to have in the squad.
Didn't really notice it before, but yesterday in that DM position (when he tucked in), he's always moving to make himself available as outlet from the back. And he did it well with similar energy from start to finish. I thought that was incredible.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yep and his conditioning. I think this is a very interesting article about how Dalot looks after himself. He seems an unbelievably committed professional and should only continue to get better with his attitude.

Here
Really lovely read. In Fergie's days, he'd at least have a place in the squad as utility player ala O'Shea, and probably in starting XI if he continues to improve. Just a well rounded footballer.

He probably can survive as a DM also, as that's what he's been doing in this current tactic anyway.

NZT-One

I wouldn't say he stood out (I mean how rare is it for a fullback to stand out?) but he did above average full back activities whilst playing in a team that's not really conducive for overlapping fullback/attacking plays.

I don't use the player ratings and never have on this site so I don't know about that but you can check the threadmarks at the bottom this page to go back to the post game comments.

I don't really want to be that guy.....but here's a highlight compilation of this season. Of course it doesn't show his many brainfarts this season but it does show a glimmer of his overall all around ability, which imo is quite high and again for a player, who's relatively inexperienced playing in a poorly coached team. The bits where he received the ball under pressure in the Liverpool game are there; one of them where he did brilliantly, strode into the middle of the open pitch and then fecked up the pass by choosing the hardest option but don't think they show it fully in the video.

Knowing the context of the team and how we play, if you still think Dalot gives meh vibes and isn't all that, then there's not much more to say really. Between Dalot and peak Alves, there isn't really a middle ground out there, realistically available or imo that actually exists.
Ok, so I had a look, I called out his meh'ness against Wolves (acknowledging good scenes but too mixed with bad ones) and I gave him a little praise against Aston Villa. About Liverpool I made no comments on redcafe apparently, I am pretty sure though that I was angry for the red card and thought he lost his cool. To me personally, involvement in the goals against Wolves is a bit "reachy". I mean in the first goal his pass into the penalty area is a good one and it is an unexpected one so definitely good job but the goal then is disconnected from that. For the 2nd goal he makes a run pulling a defender away... Don't get me wrong but I don't think that this is something that warrants praise, at least I can't do it. But I see your point, it is good that he made the run, but it is a situation where I'd say not making a run would be a mistake, making the run is the expected behaviour.

As I said, good chance that I am a bit harsh on him, I definitely wouldn't want him gone right now, even though there is a point to be made that it may be the right time to sell. Lets see how he develops, I want more from him, more from Shaw. None of our FBs would be a safe long term option right now if I were in charge of squad planning. But for where we are, it is good to have him and may his upward trajectory continue.

criticalanalysis

Ok, so I had a look, I called out his meh'ness against Wolves (acknowledging good scenes but too mixed with bad ones) and I gave him a little praise against Aston Villa. About Liverpool I made no comments on redcafe apparently, I am pretty sure though that I was angry for the red card and thought he lost his cool. To me personally, involvement in the goals against Wolves is a bit "reachy". I mean in the first goal his pass into the penalty area is a good one and it is an unexpected one so definitely good job but the goal then is disconnected from that. For the 2nd goal he makes a run pulling a defender away... Don't get me wrong but I don't think that this is something that warrants praise, at least I can't do it. But I see your point, it is good that he made the run, but it is a situation where I'd say not making a run would be a mistake, making the run is the expected behaviour.

As I said, good chance that I am a bit harsh on him, I definitely wouldn't want him gone right now, even though there is a point to be made that it may be the right time to sell. Lets see how he develops, I want more from him, more from Shaw. None of our FBs would be a safe long term option right now if I were in charge of squad planning. But for where we are, it is good to have him and may his upward trajectory continue.
The thing is, I'm not really trying to say 'LOOK AT DALOT'S AMAZING INVOLVEMENT' but at the same time, what he did there and has done quite a few times this and last season is make fairly decisive plays directly or indirectly. The second goal, he receives a lofted ball under pressure on the byline, has a good instep touch with a body hesitation to get the ball out of his feet, away from the defender and within threes touches has passed the ball out wide to Garnacho to open up the entire pitch. That is pretty much the archetypal modern full back play at a good/high level and exactly the type of stuff the 'better' players out there regularly do that you see in their highlight reels.

This isn't 'normal' play in the context of our team and I guess where my issue is with your general sentiment of 'he's done alright, I expect more and think there is better out there'. It is if you're Cancelo, Alexander-Arnold, Reece James, Alves, Alba....but again all of those players played in teams with incredible teammates that dominate possession, create space for their players at every position systematically and/or play in hybrid roles that maximise their abilities. Dalot is doing these things in-game and on an individual level pretty much like how we play most games i.e freestyle and with little structure or rhythm. To me, that's impressive and says that the player has base abilities that can be expanded with a better platform.

I mean if I had to put my money where my mouth is, I would go as far to say this current Dalot would be exactly the type of player a City, Liverpool or Arsenal would love to have in their team. He's got a lot to improve on and is far from perfect but on a fundamental level I don't think he is lacking at all in terms of what he's doing now and potential.

Of course, he's got the rest of the season to make my statement look silly now but up until now and what I've seen, I honestly think that.

thepolice123

What's there not to like about him. Has great engine and pace. He is technically sound and has a fantastic right peg. I'd take him over AWB anyday at this moment.

daba

What's there not to like about him. Has great engine and pace. He is technically sound and has a fantastic right peg. I'd take him over AWB anyday at this moment.
He’s had a below par 12 months but he showed before the World Cup that he had enough ability to be a top Premier league RB. He was arguably our best player leading up to the World Cup, then he got an injury, lost place to AWB who in fairness stepped up his game, and never quite got back to that level.

Good to see him getting to it though, just needs to stay fit.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
One of those players who can play anywhere but as a GK (but I can be wrong, maybe he is better than Onana).

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

RB surely is not a position with a priority to upgrade. Play Dalot with the right colleagues around and he is at least decent.
Also he might’ve got the best shot on him in the team.

The Red Thinker

This! He’s great under pressure and actually a bit of a baller with his step overs, feints, and dribbles.

When he’s on he’s a very good footballer. For me he’s won the battle for right back spot.
He needs competition. AWB must go. We ought to fetch about £30m for him. That should help us get another less expensive but effective option - provided Berrada has his DoF of choice in place.

Irwin99

After a certain point you have to acknowledge when a player has it, and if you can't see that, well it has more to do with your own inability to judge players.
I'll be honest and say I just never saw it with this guy before EtH came in. I struggled to think of one thing he was great at under Jose, Ole, and Ralf or even a good run of form from him in the team. I know Ralf preferred him over AwB but i started to see a much better player for the first few months of last season, starting around the Liverpool game when he had Varane and Martinez starting with him.

He still has some 'Fred' moments/games but he's getting a lot more praise now and I think a lot of it is deserved (watch him have a terrible game against Villa now i've said that)

Valencia Shin Crosses

Thank you for this. Honestly Dalot seems to have become the litmus test for football knowledge in our fan base. So many still think he’s crap based on some horror shows from seasons past when the truth is he’s massively upgraded the defensive side of his game and learned how to impact it going forward as well even while still being a horrid crosser of the ball. But because he isn’t AWB spider tackling constantly or whipping in TAA crosses people think he doesn’t do anything.

No he’s not “world class” but he’s a very solid starter and would be for a majority of teams in Europe.

acnumber9

After a certain point you have to acknowledge when a player has it, and if you can't see that, well it has more to do with your own inability to judge players.
After a certain point you have to agree with what marktan thinks and if you don’t it’s your fault.

Borussia Teeth

He needs competition. AWB must go. We ought to fetch about £30m for him. That should help us get another less expensive but effective option - provided Berrada has his DoF of choice in place.
Who do you think will spend 30m on AWB with a year on his contract?

stevoc

But I myself like the old Fergie setup, having one Fullback who is adventurous and active and is really helping things in the attack and one who is a bit more conservative and keeps it tight.
Which one out of Evra and Rafael was the latter?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I said what you guys are saying last week and @AltiUn was not having it
I still think you're wrong, the difference is negligible. We're benefitting from a load of people returning from injury.

foolsgold

Because he's been here a long time, a lot of people seem to forget that he's still quite a young player, he's only 24 and there was always going to be some inconsistency. His peak years are still in front of him, the next 6 - 8 years s where he should shine.

We'll need to replace Shaw before we replace Dalot.