5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

criticalanalysis

@golden_blunder still dislike/don't rate him?
Apart from myself and @Raven, the next two most replied in this thread are @stevoc and @NZT-One, who I both believe aren't that fond of him or are more hesitant on his qualities. So, I don't mean this in any disrespectful way or 'gotcha!' moment, just wondering how you two feel now? Is Dalot still on a run of anomalous good form? Is he still just a decent player shining in a shite team, therefore the praise and comments are out of context/doesn't mean much?

Nickelodeon

If the season ends right now, he’s our player of the season. Primarily due to his fitness and versatility. And he’s improved a lot defensively but it’s his running and athleticism which is top notch.

stevoc

Apart from myself and @Raven, the next two most replied in this thread are @stevoc and @NZT-One, who I both believe aren't that fond of him or are more hesitant on his qualities. So, I don't mean this in any disrespectful way or 'gotcha!' moment, just wondering how you two feel now? Is Dalot still on a run of anomalous good form? Is he still just a decent player shining in a shite team, therefore the praise and comments are out of context/doesn't mean much?
He's definitely improved a lot since Ten Hag came in, at the end of last season and the start of this for me he was still very inconsistent. But fair play to him for the last few months he's been very consistent and been our only consistent player and arguably our best over that period.

Still wish he was a better crosser of the ball but he's added assists to his game this year so I can't complain too much.

Guapa

Another great performance from him again yesterday and has been indispensable for us all season.Top man.

Rojofiam

Never hated him (think that's weird), but always was confused about whether he will make it here or not, especially when he went to Milan for a year, and then Ole still didn't use him after returning from that loan spell. Rangnick started using him, but that period was awful and the team collectively was the worst for me post-Ferguson. Then last season AWB displaced him for a bit, which was surprising to me, when he returned from injury around January. My feeling around that time was that it would be Dalot who would have to go from the two of them, with us eventually signing a superior RB to him, and AWB staying, who would still be useful in specific matches / situations.

I'm very happy about his improvment and consistency this season, though. Suddenly we have one more player in the current squad that we can plan with for the future. He's become one of the best right backs around, and even though I'd still sign someone in the future, it would be competition for Dalot, not an outright replacement for him.

We have a really good record with Portuguese players, maybe we need to buy more of them :lol:

Last edited:

The Substitute

Becoming a Gary Neville. Slightly limited player, great attitude, knows what hes good at and does it relentlessly.
I think he is a very well rounded player. Which right back in the league is less limited? (that surely have to be the benchmark). And yes, more well rounded than Gary!

He can pass, progress with the ball, physically strong, acceleration, pace, can even go past players. What a stupid post.

Swiss_Red89

He's also won me over this season.
Was quite critical of him in recent years but he has progressed into a really good, versitale fullback.

And he his quite likeable.

Roane

Thought I'd put this in here rather than start a new thread.

Having watched some analysis on DD it seems he has a real knack for playing in MF.

Could he potentially be a MF for us if and when we have a full set of defenders not injured?

Rojofiam

I’ll die on this hill. It’s incredibly hard for defenders and midfielders to play consistently well for top Premier League teams at young ages. As a forward, people forget about your mistakes quickly as more chances will come. As a defender especially, you’re far more exposed.

He’s making a lot of people look a bit silly now. I remember having a discussion on here about Malacia, with someone saying that players over 23 aren’t really going to improve from that level.
100% agree on Malacia. He's is also someone who could make the step-up in the not too distant future, like Dalot has this season, especially if we become a top team again and he can do it in a functioning, elite system.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Carries himself really well now doesn't he? A bit of Mourinho, bit of Ronaldo, but also quite humble. Player of the season for me just for his consistency, energy and attitude.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Thought I'd put this in here rather than start a new thread.

Having watched some analysis on DD it seems he has a real knack for playing in MF.

Could he potentially be a MF for us if and when we have a full set of defenders not injured?
There is definitely tactical instruction for him to come into midfield in possession. Which imho excuses some of the ‘defensive positioning’ errors he gets called out for….ie it’s a weird hybrid role where he has to leave his flank at times

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he is a very well rounded player. Which right back in the league is less limited? (that surely have to be the benchmark). And yes, more well rounded than Gary!

He can pass, progress with the ball, physically strong, acceleration, pace, can even go past players. What a stupid post.
Gary Neville was a very good right back... him being a modest pundit who jokes about himself not being as talented as Beckham and giggs make people think he was some average player who was only in due to his attitude which is nonsense.

Dalot has developed into a very good right back and I've been banging that drum for 1.5 years now, but he's got a lot more to prove before he gets to Gary Neville status. You don't get 400 United appearances during our most successful era and 85 caps for the national team by being anything other than an excellent right back.

The Substitute

Dalot has developed into a very good right back and I've been banging that drum for 1.5 years now, but he's got a lot more to prove before he gets to Gary Neville status. You don't get 400 United appearances during our most successful era and 85 caps for the national team by being anything other than an excellent right back.
I did not compare merits, achievements or even who's the better player. I commented the quote "slightly limited player", that's a very lazy if not just plain wrong description of Dalot.
I'm therefore asking, who is a less limited right back in Premier league?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Eating the humble pie. I had already lost my faith on him, in fact I didn't agree with his renewal. But glad he's becoming a good player, because someone with his potential to stall would be a massive disappointment.
If you watch videos of him in the U21 level, he was so many levels above any other player of his age that I was surprised for see him not to accomplish.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Top pro. If he's playing for Pool or City or Arse pundits would cream their pants. If he can polish his attacking and defensive side of the game even further he will be one of the top FBs in next few years. Mentality wise he has the "it" factor. I would say prime Cancelo is his ceiling. I am ready for people bashing me but I dare to say he's a better fullback overall than Trent. Its obvious Trent is better attacking wise but considering he defends like a revolving door I would say Dalot is a better player overall. He's currently the top 5 RB in the league for sure.

dubplate warrior

Top pro. If he's playing for Pool or City or Arse pundits would cream their pants. If he can polish his attacking and defensive side of the game even further he will be one of the top FBs in next few years. Mentality wise he has the "it" factor. I would say prime Cancelo is his ceiling. I am ready for people bashing me but I dare to say he's a better fullback overall than Trent. Its obvious Trent is better attacking wise but considering he defends like a revolving door I would say Dalot is a better player overall. He's currently the top 5 RB in the league for sure.
Cancelo in his prime was the best full back in the world. Dalot was very good in midfield on Sunday though, it feels like he is a player with another gear to go, and that's exciting.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It didnt matter if he was loaned to Milan or he had bad a spell before. I always think he will make it here, at worst as a squad player (but still plays often, just not a starter).

Thats because he is actually good at football overall. He has the physique, positional awarness and is not allergic to the ball (decent control and doesnt lose the ball too often). He is not slow either which is a big problem in PL, if youre slow you will struggle. You can play him anywhere and he will do alright. He is not a super talent who can beat players with his dribbling, he doesnt have a wicked cross but he is reliable for the manager.

Can we improve on him? most likely we can. But rather than signing another multitalented backup for... probably around 30 million pounds and selling him, I would rather keep him. He hasnt even reached his peak yet. He can still be much better.

And most importantly he genuinely wants to be here and not overpaid. There are a lot more better talents that failed at United. This guy got loanend out, didnt hold a grudge, adapted to Ten Hag and became a better player because of it. Thats what we need. Not the Di Maria, Sanchez or Sanchos of the world. They can all feck off.

Last edited:

How is he limited? I think he has everything in his locker. He needs to improve his end product, but he's also shown some progress there.
He's no Marcelo. He's making the most of his ability and the reason hes been so good is he is doing the basics so well at the moment.

jem

Seems like a proper United fan

I fecking love him - I know it's a weird comparison, but I feel he emits a kind of Novak Djokovic energy; not suggesting he'll end up being the GOAT or anything, but just a strong, don't give up kind of energy.

Rossa

He's no Marcelo. He's making the most of his ability and the reason hes been so good is he is doing the basics so well at the moment.
No he's not, but remember how poor Marcelo could be defensively. What exactly are Dalot's limitations? As a dribbler, I don't think there are many fullbacks better than him at going past a defender.

No he's not, but remember how poor Marcelo could be defensively. What exactly are Dalot's limitations? As a dribbler, I don't think there are many fullbacks better than him at going past a defender.
Dalot is in cracking form but he has had his problems defensively too.

romufc

People saying can we upgrade on him ? yes.. I would like to see names of RB's at 25 who are better than him and we can sign?

We have a massive rebuilding job to do and he can play the style of football we want to play, he is good on the ball, he can pass and can beat the press.

He is also good in the air, back post headers. RB is probably one of the only positions we dont need to look at this summer, AWB can be a backup when we play stronger opponents and need a RB to lock of a winger.

Rossa

Dalot is in cracking form but he has had his problems defensively too.
Last season he struggled massively one on one against any tricky or quick player, but he has improved his positioning and acceleration quite a bit. I'm still asking what attributes you think he is lacking?

Last season he struggled massively one on one against any tricky or quick player, but he has improved his positioning and acceleration quite a bit. I'm still asking what attributes you think he is lacking?
Well that. I've always rated him but his positioning and decision making had let him down in the past. He's in great form and he's a good all rounder but there's no one thing he stands out in, hence the Gary Neville comparison. The thing he is best at right now is his consistency and his mentality.

Raven

Well that. I've always rated him but his positioning and decision making had let him down in the past. He's in great form and he's a good all rounder but there's no one thing he stands out in, hence the Gary Neville comparison. The thing he is best at right now is his consistency and his mentality.
His physicality stands out massively, he's a far more impressive athlete now than Gary ever was.

Rossa

He’s bloody fast for one thing. Had an incredible engine as another. He has very good technique and excels at playing out from the back into that inverted midfield role. I’d aldo argue that he’s more effective than most fullbacks at going past his defender.

dubplate warrior

People saying can we upgrade on him ? yes.. I would like to see names of RB's at 25 who are better than him and we can sign?

We have a massive rebuilding job to do and he can play the style of football we want to play, he is good on the ball, he can pass and can beat the press.

He is also good in the air, back post headers. RB is probably one of the only positions we dont need to look at this summer, AWB can be a backup when we play stronger opponents and need a RB to lock of a winger.
Frimpong. He's so, so, bloody good. We need a left back and a right back, Shaw is entering physical decline, and AWB is likely leaving at the end of the season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Frimpong. He's so, so, bloody good. We need a left back and a right back, Shaw is entering physical decline, and AWB is likely leaving at the end of the season.
He's not even a true RB though, and doesn't have nearly the same role as Dalot (although agreed he's brilliant at what he does).

He’s bloody fast for one thing. Had an incredible engine as another. He has very good technique and excels at playing out from the back into that inverted midfield role. I’d aldo argue that he’s more effective than most fullbacks at going past his defender.
People still thinking Dalot is slow when he's clocked our fastest sprint speed this year :lol:

And yeah, he's quite two footed for a fullback and excellent as a carrier and taking men on under pressure. Solid passer as well. Also ELITE in the air compared to any fullback in football. His only downside is his final third creativity which we all know which is why so many still don't rate him like they should.

criticalanalysis

"Dalot is limited" and then 'he's no Marcelo". Like where is the middle ground?

"Can easily improve on him". Easily would suggest at least 2-5 cheap and easy to buy options, who have shown top form and experience in a top league playing as a right back with solid defensive and attacking attributes. In which world are these players readily available?

Come on guys, these are such lazy comments.

He's definitely improved a lot since Ten Hag came in, at the end of last season and the start of this for me he was still very inconsistent. But fair play to him for the last few months he's been very consistent and been our only consistent player and arguably our best over that period.

Still wish he was a better crosser of the ball but he's added assists to his game this year so I can't complain too much.
That's fair. He was inconsistent with brain farts but I think the underlying things that he's showing recently/now have always been there, which is why it was clear to see his development and the things he was trying to do for the team were not in vain.

As for crossing/final ball, I'd agree just on the basis of the lack of assists but I'd argue the bigger issue is our lack of centre forward in the box and movement in/out of it. That's a team issue. If we had more planned attacking movements like Arsenal/City and Liverpool, Dalot's has more than the quality to find them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is he even deceptively quick? I'd argue he's our most powerful runner - I can't think of many players in the league who would outsprint him in a foot race. He can still struggle a little against wingers who are very quick on the first five yards, but then he catches up and can use his strength to muscle them off the ball. He struggled with that only last season, but now he's much sharper.

He has improved massively this season. Great player.
He always looked bit average in pace but from last season he looked quicker. Also what I mean with deceptive is, he doesn't look quick when he is running but he covers lot of ground and rarely gets beaten for pace. Then you see his interview, he ranks himself as fastest ManUtd player, stats shows that too. So he is quicker than what we see.

Credit to him, his mentality is just amazing. If he can improves hos crossing then he will be close to complete package.