Direct Approach Is The Key, Says Wilf

dementedaffair

Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are yo
I have been really pleased with how incisive United’s play has been in recent games. They can sometimes be guilty of trying to overplay things but they’ve been much more direct of late, as we saw against West Brom at the weekend.

West Brom, like Charlton before them, set out to frustrate United. It worked for the first half and I don’t think we knew whether to play a slow and patient game or be a bit more adventurous going forward.

We didn’t really do either and ended up not registering a single shot on goal in the first half. That was a bit worrying but we were much more direct in the second half and that brought us the dividends we deserved.

Paul Scholes’s first goal typified that and I was delighted to see him on the score-sheet again. It was a great flick from Giggs which sent the ball right into Scholesy's path and he hit a really fierce shot. He got his first of the season against Charlton last weekend and now he’s got three in two games.

Hopefully he can carry that goalscoring form forward into the next few matches because when he’s on song United are usually on top form as well. His breaks into the box are so difficult to defend against and it’s that direct approach that I've been talking about that will, I’m sure, help us over the next few games.

Overall, I think the team as a whole have done well over the last few matches. Roy Keane and Rio Ferdinand did particularly well on Saturday and I was also very impressed with Wayne Rooney. I thought he caused West Brom a lot of problems and I was pleased to see him having a few shots on goal and running at defenders.

Ruud popped up with his customary goal but I’m still waiting for him to get that one from outside the area! He’s fantastic and is someone United can always rely on to come up with the goods when we need them.

The next few weeks are going to be very important for United. The Christmas period is always an interesting one and we’ve got a few tricky clashes coming up. We’ve just got to try and get as many points as we can and make sure we stay in touch with the top two; that’s all we can do at the moment.

Wilf McGuinness was speaking exclusively to ManUtd.com's Gemma Thompson.

well its nice to see everything flowing again. :devil: Keep it up lads!! :D