Disabled access to games

owlo

A bit of an embarrassing one this, but here goes.

When I was younger I used to go to games all the time; unfortunately these days I have a wee bit of combat ptsd which precludes most social settings and especially crowds/noises. I basically spend my work and play time home or on the riverboat cut off from humanity with the dog. I've been thinking lately, I might want to try to go to a game here and there but have no idea how this works. Mobility isn't great but I'm not wheelchair bound, however the dog (Boerboel) is pretty much essential to my sanity. I rang the ticket office and got a fuzzy 'well if its an assistance dog its ok' - though couldn't tell me if my dog could qualify.

Had a look at the site, and I think car parking will be ok, but have no idea how quickly I'd be able to 'escape' if things got too much, whether I could take the dog, or really whether it's a good idea at all. Plus I'd probably be taking a spot from a 'real' disabled/wheelchair user....

Anybody got any experience with this? Perhaps better to just stay away?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Sorry I can't help but you shouldn't feel embarrassed asking about this. It's not something you should feel ashamed of.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If you don't attend football games at all due to issues with crowds Old Trafford is jumping in the deep end a bit. I reckon I'd probably think about trying a smaller ground first.

As far as 'real' disabled goes, if your ability to attend games depends on whether or not you can be in disabled seating then you are exactly as in need of that space as anyone else.

Fts 74

No you shouldn't stay away and nothing to be embarrassed about.

Hopefully someone more qualified than me will be able to help you.

Good luck.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
How is your dog with crowds and noise? The local Canadian football (gridiron) team had a bring your dogs to the game day a number of years ago and most of the dogs were terrified.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
How is your dog with crowds and noise? The local Canadian football (gridiron) team had a bring your dogs to the game day a number of years ago and most of the dogs were terrified.
:lol:

Sorry but who on earth thought that was a good idea.

I would also apologise for another not particularly helpful reply but given this is about to drop off the front page without anyone who actually has knowledge of disabled access replying I'm inclined to consider this a stealth bump.

owlo

Cheers all. It's certainly a bit of a mindbender, looking fine but not feeling it.

If you don't attend football games at all due to issues with crowds Old Trafford is jumping in the deep end a bit. I reckon I'd probably think about trying a smaller ground first.

As far as 'real' disabled goes, if your ability to attend games depends on whether or not you can be in disabled seating then you are exactly as in need of that space as anyone else.
I've managed a test match at old trafford/LCC pre pandemic! Granted it's rather different but the staff were fantastic and we had little to no problems whatsoever. Less stressful than going out to a restaurant in the end.

He *should* be fine in theory. He's pretty old and chill now, but honestly the most crowded situation we've been in has probably been an Oslo/CPH DFDS ferry. He loved that though. (far more than I did!) Obviously, if either of us aren't handling it, we can just escape... if that option exists.

:lol:

Sorry but who on earth thought that was a good idea.

I would also apologise for another not particularly helpful reply but given this is about to drop off the front page without anyone who actually has knowledge of disabled access replying I'm inclined to consider this a stealth bump.
Quintessentially Canadian!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not all disabilities are visible and all that. You absolutely have a right to enjoy(!) a game at Old Trafford, same as anyone.

I wonder if tagging the club on twitter could yield some answers?

Ixion

Might be some useful info here

The most assistance I've needed is to use the lift to help my mother so she didn't need to climb all the stairs, just sent an email and the club were good at helping.