Do British players matter?

Revan

Assumptionman
That 11 could do the domestic imho.
It is significantly weaker than the current team we have, and the only two players who would improve our first team from them are Bale (big improvement) and Dier (improvement). So if that team could have won the league, then our team should be able to walk it.

And then of course, it would cost half a billion plus to assemble that team.

PS: that is basically the England team, so nope, it wouldn't win anything.

dichinero

I'd love to see a United XI with British/Academy products but that will never happen. So the reality is that, other than meeting the HG quota its not as important as we make it out to be. United is a global brand. English heritage, world football club.

Besides, English players are vastly overrated. How many have actually reached their apparent potential in the last 5 years? Shaw is the only top British players in our ranks imo.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It should matter. But unfortunately there just aren't very many good ones. It's why Shaw, Sterling and Stones cost so much. They're not worth half of their fees based on their current ability when they were bought, but the best English players are a precious commodity to the top clubs. I hope we nurture Rashford as best we can and don't frustrate him and make him want to leave.

I'd guess Barkley will be the next one to cost stupid money, despite his enormous inconsistency. What would an 18yr old Rooney go for in today's market?

Stretford End Phil

It's nice to have a few young Manc's in the team, but i'm not bothered about "British" so to speak. At the end of the day United and the premier league is a global entity. IF you want to win you need the best, and if the British aren't then that's tough. We have Rashford and Lingard who are doing a good job, and no doubt a few other's like Tuanzebe coming through. We are doing OK.
Its not a global entity to the local fans who have supported United as their local side through 5 generations. This is why Bobby, Robbo and the class of 92 are held in such high esteem. And why Rashford is now a hero, proving British is best but local is better.

Ferguson

Does it matter that Rashford is from Manchester?

I think it does. Even the Spanish lads like De Gea and Mata will be encouraged to see that they are playing in a city and for local fans who have a proper football tradition and culture of their own.

Plus, the best British players should be playing for United. It is home territory for the club. If there is a lack of quality Scottish talent like in the past, then we won't see Scots at United for that reason. But that is different from saying that British players don't matter.

The best British players should be at a club with the history and pedigree of Manchester United

stevoc

What has British got to do with it?

In football there is no British league or British national side, so in football terms someone from Wales or Scotland is as foreign as someone from France or Holland. The question should really be do English players matter, and the answer is yes.

United should always have a group of top English players because they are a top English side. Having some British (Scottish/Welsh) and even Irish players is a great bonus if they are good players but not really that important in the grand scheme of things.

zain

Believe
All the people saying it matters. Why does it matter?

I don't care one bit that Solskjaer, Cantona, Evra were or weren't British. Doesn't make any difference to be honest.

Stacks

Agreed even though it may not be fully logical. I want United to sign the best British players and if that means paying more the a British equivalent then so be it.

Almost certainly part of the reason why I was gutted when Welbeck left.
Its insane. For Barkley Sterling and Stones, you're looking at £150 mill. None of them will become Balon D'or contenders or top 5 in their position.

Stretford End Phil

Its insane. For Barkley Sterling and Stones, you're looking at £150 mill. None of them will become Balon D'or contenders or top 5 in their position.
Its insane because there are few of them, raising their value, but also raising corporate profits to stupid levels. Rooney got his crazy contract because he brings so much more profit.

saivet

That's only if I rate them though. I'm not big on Barkley and unsure on Stones. If Sterling wasn't at Liverpool, making it a near impossible transfer, I would have wanted us to spend big on him to be honest.

I can admit it's more of an emotional connection, so I for example if given the choice between Shaw and Alaba playing for United, I'd rather see us having Shaw play.

Devil may care

It's tricky as the ultimate aspect is whether the quality is there. For instance if you;'d asked me this summer whether we should buy Stones or Bailly? I'd have opted for the young English option, in hindsight look like I'd have been wrong.

Stacks

That's only if I rate them though. I'm not big on Barkley and unsure on Stones. If Sterling wasn't at Liverpool, making it a near impossible transfer, I would have wanted us to spend big on him to be honest.

I can admit it's more of an emotional connection, so I for example if given the choice between Shaw and Alaba playing for United, I'd rather see us having Shaw play.
Kane or Suarez? Kane or Neymar? Sterling or Martial? (pretend Martial never played for us) Alli or Fekir?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It partly depends on if you want the national side to get better. I'm uncomfortable with the general malaise surrounding the England team and would happily accept an increase in the quota. If each team had to field say 5 home nation players I wouldn't grumble. I think the problem with the england team is so bad that drastic action is necessary. There would be concerns about a drop in quality of the football but I think it would be seen by many young players as an incentive and that standards could even rise. At the moment there are too many young british players who don't get a look in and the nation team are suffering.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What has British got to do with it?

In football there is no British league or British national side, so in football terms someone from Wales or Scotland is as foreign as someone from France or Holland. The question should really be do English players matter, and the answer is yes.

United should always have a group of top English players because they are a top English side. Having some British (Scottish/Welsh) and even Irish players is a great bonus if they are good players but not really that important in the grand scheme of things.
It matters to United because of our tradition. We've always had great players in the team from Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland etc and I'm proud of that even though my preference is obviously for local lads from the North West. Think of 2 of our best ever players - Law and Best. Think of our most decorated player - Giggs. Think of our (probably) greatest captain - Keane. Not to mention many other great servants who've provided loyal service and memorable moments over the years such as Crerand, Albiston, McClair, Fletcher, O'Shea...

What I think is really fantastic is that, for example, a young Irish lad coming through will most probably dream of playing for Manchester United (or Celtic, Liverpool of course) due to our historic connection.

In the end it's good to have a balance in the squad. My favourite players over the years I've been watching have probably been Evra, Ole, Scholes, Keane, Giggs and Cantona. Foreign and British alike. I guess all things being equal I'd probably want something like one third Manc, one third British/Irish-but-not Manc, one third foreign. But obviously if a Zlatan, Cantona etc comes along, you shift an Alan Smith out the way to make room, so it will never be exactly how you'd imagine it in fantasy land.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
It partly depends on if you want the national side to get better. I'm uncomfortable with the general malaise surrounding the England team and would happily accept an increase in the quota. If each team had to field say 5 home nation players I wouldn't grumble. I think the problem with the england team is so bad that drastic action is necessary. There would be concerns about a drop in quality of the football but I think it would be seen by many young players as an incentive and that standards could even rise. At the moment there are too many young british players who don't get a look in and the nation team are suffering.
Quotas won't change much, just would make English teams fail into group stages of UCL.

Changing the coaches, and how they work with the young players is something else. A complete shift in mentality in addition to a lot of money is needed to do that.

Putting artificial quotas is just treating the symptoms, but not fixing the problem of poor quality players. If someone is sick and is on pain, you ideally would want to find the problem and heal it, not just give some painkillers and hope that everything will be fixed by that.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
I want us to have a good number of British players, which is why it's so incredible frustrating that British players generally are so poor nowadays. Back in the days British clubs won European trophies with teams filled with British players managed by a British manager, but everything have just stood still for the past 20 years or so, creating this situation where PL clubs buy loads of foreign players and hire loads of foreign managers because the locals aren't good enough to play and manage a sport they invented once.

It's the most shocking thing about England/Britain imo. that it's ended like this, and that no one long time ago smelled the coffee. They should've seen the warning signs when Chelsea started buying loads of foreigners in the late 90's and when the FA had to appoint Eriksson as England manager.

saivet

Kane or Suarez? Kane or Neymar? Sterling or Martial? (pretend Martial never played for us) Alli or Fekir?
Kane (Obivously not as good as Suarez but a player I would never want at United). Neymar. Sterling. I know nothing about Fekir, so can't comment.

Dir Wangem

Ugh, British players are the worst. Heavy first-touch, high bodyfat percentage, questionable fashion sense and Dab University... It's unbearable!

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Ugh, thank god we have all this money now to import real players into our teams, wouldn't like it being like the old days before Sky started funding English football (1993) and we were all subjected to 11 British donkeys running about on our fields.

It's not like before the flood of money and foreigners (1993) the top performing nations in the Champions League (clubs) were: Spain 7 wins, Italy 7 wins, England 8 wins (9 if counting British Celtic), Germany 4 wins.

Thank GOD those dark days are gone.
Hail the foreign legion, Anyone> British.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ugh, thank god we have all this money now to import real players into our teams, wouldn't like it being like the old days before Sky started funding English football (1993) and we were all subjected to 11 British donkeys running about on our fields.

It's not like before the flood of money and foreigners (1993) the top performing nations in the Champions League (clubs) were: Spain 7 wins, Italy 7 wins, England 8 wins (9 if counting British Celtic), Germany 4 wins.

Thank GOD those dark days are gone.
Hail the foreign legion, Anyone> British.
The problem is that English footballers haven't evolved and catch up with the other nations. Or maybe, it is just a very poor generation of players (likely not, considering how shit England has been on tournaments for half a century).

No one is denying that there were great English/British players in the past. George Best is one of the most technically gifted players of all time, Charlton is an another goat, Scholes served as a model for La Masia etc etc, but at the moment, English players are fecking shit, and all the heavy touch, weak mentality, being overrated and so on can be attributed to them.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
The problem is that English footballers haven't evolved and catch up with the other nations. Or maybe, it is just a very poor generation of players (likely not, considering how shit England has been on tournaments for half a century).

No one is denying that there were great English/British players in the past. George Best is one of the most technically gifted players of all time, Charlton is an another goat, Scholes served as a model for La Masia etc etc, but at the moment, English players are fecking shit, and all the heavy touch, weak mentality, being overrated and so on can be attributed to them.
Okay mate, carry on.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
It would be good to have a lot in the squad, but unfortunately most British players are pretty shite.

VanUtd

Supports
Feyenoord
Welcome to the 21st century.

Although in the 22nd century, we'll be playing mostly Brits again. Well, the ones that aren't good enough to play in the #1 league in the world in China that is.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
It would be nice to always have a good British core in the team but chances are there will come a time when we field all foreigners in the 11 and bench. The having at least one player from the academy in the match day squad will stop eventually. I think once it happens then after that the fuss won't be as big anymore

stevoc

It matters to United because of our tradition. We've always had great players in the team from Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland etc and I'm proud of that even though my preference is obviously for local lads from the North West. Think of 2 of our best ever players - Law and Best. Think of our most decorated player - Giggs. Think of our (probably) greatest captain - Keane. Not to mention many other great servants who've provided loyal service and memorable moments over the years such as Crerand, Albiston, McClair, Fletcher, O'Shea...

What I think is really fantastic is that, for example, a young Irish lad coming through will most probably dream of playing for Manchester United (or Celtic, Liverpool of course) due to our historic connection.

In the end it's good to have a balance in the squad. My favourite players over the years I've been watching have probably been Evra, Ole, Scholes, Keane, Giggs and Cantona. Foreign and British alike. I guess all things being equal I'd probably want something like one third Manc, one third British/Irish-but-not Manc, one third foreign. But obviously if a Zlatan, Cantona etc comes along, you shift an Alan Smith out the way to make room, so it will never be exactly how you'd imagine it in fantasy land.
I think you may have misinterpreted my post mate, i am Irish myself and would love to see more Irish players at United but only if they are as i previously said good players.

If we can find top players who happen to be Scottish, Welsh or Irish great, but at the end of the day United are an English club. So the only nationality in my opinion that we should always have at least a few of in the team/squad are English players.

We currently have no senior Welsh, Irish or Scottish players, while thats a bit sad no one seems to have really batted an eyelid at it. But if we had no English players that would be a massive deal in the media and for many fans.

Last edited:

stevoc

Depends if you think of yourself as British or English.
Yes i can understand that but thats national identity mate.

We are talking football here, and as i said there is no British in football thats all i'm saying. Its important that United have English players, but Scottish and Welsh players are in the eyes of Uefa/Fifa are as foreign as players form any other country.

For the record i know both terms (British/English) can be interchangeable for a lot of people, and some only see themselves as British or English. But i am only looking at it from a football and not a political point of view.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yes i can understand that but thats national identity mate.... i am only looking at it from a football and not a political point of view.
Yeah I'm more about the tribals. When Pogba says he's coming home to Manchester, it's not really very believable. Truth is he'd be as happy if not more happy playing in Spain. With the Brits, especially the academy lads, you know they might mean it. Otherwise you're just cheering for a brand, like a new iPhone or something.

stevoc

Yeah I'm more about the tribals. When Pogba says he's coming home to Manchester, it's not really very believable. Truth is he'd be as happy if not more happy playing in Spain. With the Brits, especially the academy lads, you know they might mean it. Otherwise you're just cheering for a brand, like a new iPhone or something.
I'm not a Manc or even English myself, but i love the fact we've always had a few lads from Manchester or close by in the last 20 years Butt, Scholes, Giggs the Nevlles, Brown, Welbeck and now Rashford. In an ideal world i'd love us to have 11 lads like that or guys like Becks and Evans who were United fans and came through the academy.

Sadly it's not likely to happen anytime soon but we can always hope to find top players like Roy, Rio, Ole, Eric and Evra etc. that come in and become United through and through.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Call me silly but I feel like one of the reasons for United's success in the premier league has been the British core. Not only does it give stability but gives a culture to the team. I'm not British but I strongly believe the core of the team should be British.

With Rooney, Shaw, Smalling, Rashford we are still kind of there though.

ROFLUTION

Our greatest reign was under Fergie. He chose a core of british players. Its easy to say we couldve gotten the same players overseas, and that its new times now, but I think it had something to say. Respect about the culture, fans, etc. I think thats why I fell in love with United myself. The british style/core. Must be said though, that generation (and Fergie) was something special.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
British players matter because we're a British club but quality is quality and currently British players aren't up to scratch in many, if any positions.

Lostie007

It's a huge deal, always has been always will be. It set us apart from the rest. I couldn't support United if it was full of Johnny foreigners, I honestly couldn't.
This.

The Manc/British backbone/spine is what this club is built on. Never forget our roots and Munich.

WhoDaGOAT

British players matter because we're a British club but quality is quality and currently British players aren't up to scratch in many, if any positions.
I don't think quality is missing. I think opportunities and, most importantly, discipline is lacking.

Chelsea have been absolutely dominant at youth level, but then there is no clear route to progress upon entering their 20's.

Players leaving for bigger clubs too soon is a major issue. Chambers made that mistake when he joined Arsenal. Roberts made that mistake when he joined City. Even Smalling probably joined United too soon. His progress stalled because of a lack of games, on top of injuries.

Discipline refers to players like Berahino. He went out on loan and paid his dues, but then became big headed after two fantastic full seasons with West Brom.

Sturridge had to move around clubs an awful lot before he finally settled at Liverpool.

We lost out on Pogba for 4 years because he was not presented with a clear route to where he needed to be. And he was a hyped foreign import, so imagine how difficult it is for boring Ben to make it at top half Premier League clubs.

ROFLUTION

I honestly dont think Smalling is less a player than Blind. I also think Lingard would decide a similar amount of games as Mata if he had same games and continuity. Somehow Mata's more likeable though (great at talking to the fans, I love him myself) whereas British players suffer from the unexotic british brand of now. Lingard is that squad-player type and as with young, Evans, Welbeck, etc its easy to just roll out the scapegoatism on him, even though he's a great squadplayer (at least).