Do we extend Ole's contract?

rumac

Indeed. City did the double over us in 2007/2008. Do you suppose they had a better season than us that year? Pretty depressing how our roles have reversed.
Again I was making the point that head to head records don't tell us anything about the quality of the coacher per se.

SAFMUTD

Hopefully we dont, its the perfect way to end it. Dont fire him because he's a legend and people would get sad about it just dont renew him and let us have a top manager. It wouldnt be seen as a broke up because failure but rather a "end of a cycle" or whatever you want to call it.

Sadly we know we will renew him arguing "the uncertanty of not knowing if he'll stay or go would unsettle the squad". Im guessing a 3 year contract that ultimately means nothing because we all know if he drops out of top 4 he'll be fired.

Siorac

If we’d have won the shootout I wonder if so many would be complaining about the match tactics. Doubt it. One kick can change everything and some people lose sight of that.
If we'd won the shootout, many of us would be shutting up instead of going through a tedious discussion about why we're 'moaning' even when we won a trophy.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What does this even mean? So after Ole should we get Bruce or Ince in? What about Giggsy?
Should give Carrick a run at it when he retires in 3 years following Ole's managerial retirement with a CL trophy and 100 point Premier League league victory. Believe.

Not a big fan of manager nomads.

dinostar77

Papers say hes getting a 3 year extension. If thats right thats a helluva commitment and faith from the club in him.

SAFMUTD

If we'd won the shootout, many of us would be shutting up instead of going through a tedious discussion about why we're 'moaning' even when we won a trophy.
Couldn't have been said any better.

G4stars

Couldn't have been said any better.
Don't agree, we would have won it in spite of the manager's decisions. Another lacklustre performance with dodgy sub decisions, played directly into Villereal's strategy. The fact it even went to penalties was bad enough.

Can't understand anyone who actually thinks Ole's good enough, wake up.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I’m irritated and disappointed but after a few days of reflecting on the alternatives I’m comfortable with the club giving Ole 3 more years. Not the perfect solution but he has earned it.

We know what we get. A first class diplomat, a sensitive manager with excellent man management. We also know what we don’t get. At best we can say he’s a average tactician, his coaching skills can be questioned and we know as a manager that he’s not a natural born winner like Sir Alex. You take the good with the bad.

In a best case scenario he hires a new assistant coach, someone with excellent tactical skills and someone who is willing to play second fiddle behind the scenes.

Manchester United needs stability. Our club can’t afford losing experience at every level. Woodward needs to go. Glazers needs to start engage with our supporter club and they also needs to present a new plan regarding Old Trafford. With so much changes in front of us we need Ole at the wheel.

Stability and Continuity. That’s the key words right now.

SAFMUTD

Don't agree, we would have won it in spite of the manager's decisions. Another lacklustre performance with dodgy sub decisions, played directly into Villereal's strategy. The fact it even went to penalties was bad enough.

I think you misquoted my post or something? I totally agree, if we'd won it would had been despite Ole's best efforts to sabotage us.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

They are blinded by sentiment unfortunately.

Womp

idiot
They complain when people aren't happy and jolly after some terrible and unsustainable wins, claiming we are making this place unbearable etc. but are so quick to point out that when we do indeed win, no-one is complaining. You can't have it both ways. :lol:

Frankly, there were people (myself included), claiming that the football we were playing was not sustainable, even when we were first, I have seen nothing change. I just try not to post about it as much as any criticism of Ole is depicted of you hating the bloke or being unnecessarily negative.

ex and

If we sacked him now, would he get another top job? or even a middling job or would he be left to work with only Norweigan clubs?

el3mel

They complain when people aren't happy and jolly after some terrible and unsustainable wins, claiming we are making this place unbearable etc. but are so quick to point out that when we do indeed win, no-one is complaining. You can't have it both ways. :lol:

Frankly, there were people (myself included), claiming that the football we were playing was not sustainable, even when we were first, I have seen nothing change. I just try not to post about it as much as any criticism of Ole is depicted of you hating the bloke or being unnecessarily negative.
I honestly never got it. They say the forum is toxic while they keep on trying to shut up everyone who criticizes the manager and tells they're entitled spoiled fan who should go support other clubs. They also have no problem slaughtering the board and players but not the manager. Do they realize that saying this is the definition of toxicity ? Is the toxicity for them is to be negative about the manager, but if you're about literally everything else in the club it's not ?

If you're negative about the manager, think we should win the league and that City aren't gods, it means you're toxic, spoiled, entitled fan who should go support other clubs. Meanwhile if you say that City are the gods of football and United have zero chance catching them, the team needs ton of new players and a whole new board but the manager is fine, it means you're a role model and a great United fan, apparently.

Paul_Scholes18

I honestly never got it. They say the forum is toxic while they keep on trying to shut up everyone who criticizes the manager and tells they're entitled spoiled fan who should go support other clubs. They also have no problem slaughtering the board and players but not the manager. Do they realize that saying this is the definition of toxicity ? Is the toxicity for them is to be negative about the manager, but if you're about literally everything else in the club it's not ?

If you're negative about the manager, think we should win the league and that City aren't gods, it means you're toxic, spoiled, entitled fan who should go support other clubs. Meanwhile if you say that City are the gods of football and United have zero chance catching them, the team needs ton of new players and a whole new board but the manager is fine, it means you're a role model and a great United fan, apparently.
People are quick to call our players shit and want them sold, but suggesting we should improve the managers is not acceptable.

I feel the opposite is more true in terms of what makes sense. In order to get a better manager we can't really keep Ole. We can only have one manager thus if we want to improve the coaching and tactics it sadly means we have to fire Ole.
Maybe we could keep him in some creative way, but not sure Ole would be fine with that. We could get better coaches around Ole, but we could do that with another manager as well.

Selling Rashford, Lindelöf etc do not directly improve our squad cause we could keep them even if we bring in better players.

mancan92

Yeah Zidane has been suggested. No question he has done well at Real. Totally different challenge to Man Utd and the premier league.

He's not a bad shout, but I would like to see him do well somewhere else first.
You'd like him do well somewhere else and not spend that time being successful at United?

Womp

idiot

Yep, I was on the same boat, always thinking it was the players etc. but I learnt my lesson with Jose. These aren't bad players, these are players that can compete. Is the squad good enough to win the league and CL? Probably not. Is it good enough to be playing much better and more sustainable football that we can pin our hopes on? Absolutely. In approaching 3 years - I haven't seen nearly enough to suggest we will get where we need to.

I agree though. They complain when we express our dissatisfaction with the manager, but then boast about it when we supposedly 'go quiet', as if it's some sort of moral victory.

Lord Zlatan

Ive so been behind him, but the game management in games like PSG with Fred on a yellow to not making subs on wednesday night has led me to believe hes just not up to it. He deserves credit for turning the club round and clearing out some of the dead wood. His buys have generally been spot on. But taking the team onto the next level and winning PL or CL is beyond him sadly.

Fahad Jawaid

The correct answer to this question would be no. There are so many things which I find mediocre about Ole and I certainly don't think a club like Manchester united should be on the job training for a manager. On the contrary we should be having manager who is competent and confident with his ideas and philosophy and impose that on the team, with clear and distinct style.

Our style of play is similar to a smaller club ceding possession against teams and try to hit them on the break, this is where we are comfortable, whereas when we are given possession, we find it difficult to pick apart teams. All top managers have patterns through which they play and break teams down, we are yet to have it, it seems to be give it to Bruno or Pogba and they will do something with it.

Another aspect which I find extremely infuriating is his game management, our first sub is always around 70 mark, and next is around 88 mins, which is soo frustrating, I want our manager to make subs earlier give some time to substitutes to have an impact, its soul crushing for a sub to be thrown for 2 mins just to have a run around.

Further, when we were actually required to make changes for eg against PSG, where Fred was a walking red card he didn't make the necessary change. Or against Leipzig (away) where we were on top and no change was required but he put on Tuanzebe and Williams (both had shockers) and resulted in Leipzig being extremely comfortable in the last minutes. Or against Leicester in the cup where we benched Bruno who was in form of his life just to rest him before International break and resulted in us bowing out. Or against Villareal where Emery kept freshen things up and Ole sat there like an idiot and eventually we ran out of legs. (Not even using DDG not being subbed blunder)

Plus he rarely tweaks his formation in any match situation, all the stupid changes are like for like, whereas I for one want our manager to throw kitchen sink at the opposition from 70 mins onwards. I hated how we played cowardly against Arsenal, Chelsea (twice) and Crystal Palace. All these teams were there for the taking, but we were reluctant to go at them and ultimately resulted in us drawing games.

I hope somebody can tell him he is allowed to have more than 1 striker at the pitch, take off a defender or a CM if need be. Lastly, he is extremely poor in using squad, its very common for a manager doing transition from a smaller league, where there is less matches and more time between matches to think he will manage with 12 to 13 players, so he is still having the Molde mentality. The first time we had our CB out, we became toothless at the back. Imagine having a Liverpool like Crises at the back with Ole.

In addition, he has failed to rectify problems we are facing during the season, For eg. We have been poor throughout the season against set pieces, however it does not seem to something he has picked up or paid importance towards.

So in conclusion there are soo many aspects or things he gets wrong, where a top manager never does these basic errors. We could have had Europa or Fa cup run with a good title charge with a competent manager instead we bowed and bottled our way to a second place finish.

Anustart89

If we’d have won the shootout I wonder if so many would be complaining about the match tactics. Doubt it. One kick can change everything and some people lose sight of that.
I agree nobody would, because if someone did, there would've been fifteen posters going "why are you moaning after a win? Enjoy the win you miserable bastard", and then another forty people would've posted green smileys and that would've been that. And if you moan after a loss it's "oh here you come crawling out of the woodwork". Remember when someone made a critical thread (think it was @Di Maria's angel) after we kept going behind in games but came back to win a few times in short succession? He was absolutely murdered by people on here, and that was in December, after which we spent five months repeatedly going behind in games due to slow starts and ended the season by doing it again in the EL final, except this time we didn't come back to win the game.

Fact of the matter is that the game was very winnable over the 120 minutes if we'd tried to go for it and our manager was brave enough to have a gp, but due to the same things happening over and over and over and over under Ole (set piece defending, inabiality to break down low block, taking off most potent attacker and keeping Rashford on despite being shit and/or injured, refusing to make subs to influence the game early enough) we let them take it to penalties at which point it could go either way. I won't blame Ole for losing the penalty shootout but I will blame him for letting it get to penalties.

Resch

To win titles you need every player of your squad, you need an idea how to motivate and use every player and you have to believe your team to win.
Ole does not know how to use all of his players, he does not know to optimize the potential of his team. This team plays too often without an idea, without desire, without confidence. The team is still good enough to finish second, but to challenge for a title this team needs a winning mentality.

Blue on Tour

Supports
Man City
I'd wait til the end of next year. It's not like someone's going to take him away.
And that is the measure. Which big club will employ him if he leaves tomorrow? If the answer is "none", what is he doing here?

KD6-3.7

I reckon had we won the Europa it probably would have been announced. I’m still hoping we don’t extend his contract and start looking for his replacement but being realistic the club is probably ironing out final details on his extension.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
One year left on Ole's contract. Do we give him till the end of next season and risk unsettling him or do we secure him for a little bit longer in case he turns out alright?
I wouldnt extent. Hes done alright butnhes not good enough

Champagne Football

Have we been making progress under Ole year on year? Yes we have.

Now would be a daft time to sack Ole. As long as we're making progress, and as long as more kids are getting developed, then you stick with the project as long as it continues to go in the right direction.

Chelsea sacked Lampard because they were becoming dangerously close to finishing outside the top 4. If that happened under Ole next season, then get rid, if not, then let him stay at least until he has turned Diallo, Mejbri, Greenwood and Garner into superstars.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He's done pretty well so far, been part of the academy restructure, got rid of a number of players who were not upto the task, bought in good players in Maguire, AWB. Cavani and Amad, brought a number of acadamy players into the first team squad, and seems to have got a more harmonius dressing room. I still feel he, along with his coaching staff, have a lot to learn, and he needs to gamble a little sometimes, and he tends to rely on players that he trusts, which is not a bad trait, but it means they are overplayed. I would give him a 12 month top up, and review next summer, and I would encourage him to get a vastly experienced coach on his team (defence minded?), who can guide and mentor the young coaches they have.

Yakuza_devils

To put it bluntly, it is actually shameful for one of the biggest club in the world with the resources we have to play negative football with defensive and counter attack tactics. There are also games when the team seems like playing together first time in their entire life.

This can only happen in Man Utd, and not RM, Barca, BM, City, Pool & and etc, simply because they don't have clueless owners, inexperienced DOF and lottery winner manager in charge.

fallengt

We will extend his contract. I refuse to believe Glazers have a plan for this club.
Top 4 and contesting for mickey mouse cups are enough for them

kerryman

We were by far the better team Wednesday night. We created chances. We were unlucky not to win the game.
We have improved a huge amount since Ole took over.
Are there still improvements to be made? Of course there are.

Who's available that's better?
That's the problem....there have been several better coaches available over the years but United have dithered and not picked them up when they could have. The most recent being Tuchel...Chelsea were smarter than us and could see that they weren't going to compete for titles with Lampard so they made the decision to get a better coach while he was available. When better players and managers are available you should do what you can to bring them in.