Do we extend Ole's contract?

kerryman

What kind of nonsense logic is this. I suppose Spurs didn't make progress under Pochettino because there was no trophy.

1) He's been in charge for 2.5 years, just over 2 permanently, not 5 years.
2) We've gone from 6th when he took over (playing the worst football I've ever seen at United and basically in freefall) to 3rd to 2nd while massively improving the style of play, giving first team opportunities to youngsters and objectively improving recruitment.

There has been obvious and measurable progress, if we finish next season 1 point off the title and reach the semi-final or final of the CL but don't win anything that again would be progress.
Not a hope of this happening...that's delusional. Our form in the second half of the season has been pretty average, only picking up 34 points out of 57. That is not a team that will win a title!
I think Ole has taken us as far as he can. The club need to be more ruthless and hire the best managers when they are available. Look at how Chelsea have improved since brining Tuchel in. There was no sentimentality in sacking Lampard.
Utd remind me of Chelsea under Lampard, decent but never going to win anything. I don't see a killer instinct in the team or the manager. I like Ole but just think he's too limited for a team with ambitions to win titles. He has shown on many occasions that his in game management is poor (not just in the EL final). We don't seem to have a playing style and mostly rely on moments of individual brilliance to win games, when that doesn't happen we often look clueless and bereft of ideas.

Judas

Open to offers
We've struggled to break teams who sat back since before Fergie left. Slow zombie football. It's a bit mental we're sat here in 2021 and still talking about it. It's not just an Ole problem, but it is concerning its seemingly a never ending issue. But Ole and his staff are the position to sort it out right now.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've pretty much always said he wasn't good enough, but realistically, who can we get to replace him that will take us to the next level? At least he pretty much guarantees us top four again next season (you'd hope). It's not a high bar but we already sort of missed a trick with Nagellsman and others, and I don't want Conte, nor am I sure about Zidane.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Let Ole walk away, I think he has done well in recruitment and bringing in young players but if we have any chance winning something then walk Ole walk. I think Potchettino is one of the manager which I think we should hire. Yes, many will argue that Pot won nothing but I like what he produce on the field. Utd could be a place that he will start winning something.

Ted1985

I hope he gets his contract extended. I am enjoying watching Manchester United now, but at the same time a little bit annoyed about some of the decisions. I just hope Ole learns from his mistakes and does better next time. He got second place and only one above us in PL is a team supported by unlimited ka-ching - good enough!

EL Finale, my thoughts:
Like, whats up with Daniel Jamies? Surely Ole must see that he is not good enough, and his minutes should go to someone else. Or taking off Greenwood? I partly understand I think why he let Dea Gea do the penalty, but I wish he let Henderson do it anyways. Rashfort, this dude needs a pause or used as an impact sub. I wish he took on VDB instead or/and Amid, and he did his subs earlier. There are some lessons to be learned from this match. Ole needs to show his bench warmers that he trusts them to do a job, but he is kinda failing here in my opinion.

21/22 season is going to be very interesting under Ole. Will he show that he is a manager with layers or continue to be predictable? Will he be more ruthless with his players that are off-form or play them anyways? Lets not forget his coaches, they are responsible as well and how will he fare with them? Will we concede less under set pieces? How will we brake down teams that defend compact?

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Let Ole walk away, I think he has done well in recruitment and bringing in young players but if we have any chance winning something then walk Ole walk. I think Potchettino is one of the manager which I think we should hire. Yes, many will argue that Pot won nothing but I like what he produce on the field. Utd could be a place that he will start winning something.
Yes hire Poch who lost Ligue Psg with Psg.

MadMike

I don't see any reason for pressure on us to renew his contract. Give it till Jan and if he starts the season well, he can get an extension.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Come on man, players wanting to play for Pep or Klopp I get, but if Sancho wants to come, it’s not through desperation of wanting to play for Ole.
Agree, they know going there means completing for championship and title. See Kane joining City and it will tell you why. Sancho will join because Utd submit a transfer that dortmund accept and personal term agree. Does he think he will win a title with Ole? Probably not.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
A mediocre manager finished 3rd then 2nd in the league, got the team to 3 semi finals and a final, the first manager since SAF to guide the the team to top 4 twice in a row. That is not mediocre at best is it.
Well one who made the same mistakes in losing all those semi finals and the final is pretty much a mediocre manager.
He doesnt learn from his mistakes!
Cant manage a game properly.
Couldn't manage his squad in any of the time hes been here.

Played a week team in a cup semi when there was an international break immediately after...what was he doing? Saving his players legs for their international managers?

Hasnt been able to work out a low block all season. Is that the a good manager?

Mismanaged the PSG, everyone knew Fred was getting sent off apart from Ole. Everyone.

The teams position this season is more down to the fact the teams around us have been poor more than we have been great. So we can all judge him next season when hes got a stronger squad but so will every other team...ill be surprised if he makes top 4, if hes even here after christmas will be more surprising.

I certainly hope he does succeed, I would love nothing more, but in his time he has shown he cant manage his squad properly.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Makes no sense to extend it now. And not just because of the EL final result, because you need to get into the finals to loose them. But on an overall league results perspective we didn't had that much of an improvement either, despite spending more and more.

Ludens the Red

How is it moving the goalposts? My whole point was we exceeded expectations by coming 2nd.

I thought(still think) most didn't expect a top 4 finish after the window. EVEN IF that isnt accurate the overriding point was we exceeded expectations by getting second, so unless you're going to claim that most thought we'd get second then my point still remains and is accurate.
haha you’ve now gone to ‘after the window’.
We exceeded expectation in the league. Don't pretend otherwise just to suit your agenda. Most people thought we'd struggle for top 4 before the season.
This is what me and a few others replied to as it’s a little mischievous. If youd expanded a bit more and been less emphatic than fair.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
2 year contract then sack him if he fails to deliver a trophy next season.

Crashoutcassius

He will prob get a contract. I think it's close but the clear progress and the relative low cost should get him a new deal. Not like he is on mourinho money so the deal doesn't mean too much

bsCallout

haha you’ve now gone to ‘after the window’.

This is what me and a few others replied to as it’s a little mischievous. If youd expanded a bit more and been less emphatic than fair.
After the window is just common sense. It's when we know what squad we'll have. Before than we have all the lofty expectations of players we might get.

I get it, but you were really moving the goal posts as the overriding point was that we exceeded expectation. Maybe my assist was dubious but it was still a goal.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We've struggled to break teams who sat back since before Fergie left. Slow zombie football. It's a bit mental we're sat here in 2021 and still talking about it. It's not just an Ole problem, but it is concerning its seemingly a never ending issue. But Ole and his staff are the position to sort it out right now.
Paul Merson had a good point (for once) regarding this. He was saying that when he was playing, they had to beat teams that sat back. It's nothing new and is a problem all big teams face. Make no bones about it, we just make it look like an issue for us because other managers know how to overcome it. We're just stuck with a mediocre manager that can't figure this shit out.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He will prob get a contract. I think it's close but the clear progress and the relative low cost should get him a new deal. Not like he is on mourinho money so the deal doesn't mean too much
If the rumours are to be believed then he'll be on massive money and is already being paid more than other top managers. I can't remember exact numbers though.

Amir

Essentially, defensive and counter attack tactic. When teams come at us we would score goals. If they sit deep too, then we have no plan B. To me not much different.

I will give it to you that we have score more goals but its still not the style of play for a major club.
We're a lot less rigid than we were under LVG and Mourinho, which with the talent we have makes us look free and better on the eye. It's not as boring as previous managers, but it's not very defined or great.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
OK, mate. BM is immoral. Barca and RM are fecked financially because they have been investing heavily in the squad and would continue to do so with restructure loans and etc.

City is backed by oil state and not their experienced team of football people and philosophy. Chelsea owned by Russia mafia. What else?

Man Utd should aim for mediocre because of the above reasons.

BTW, we are also heavily in debts to serve our owners and his mediocre plan for Man Utd.
We should aim for the top in spite of it, not emulate them. We could be a really well run club with good investment in youth, great coaching and an effective coaching strategy.

I’m only seeing one right now

bsCallout

Why wouldn't you want a manager who has won 3 champions leagues? A manager who every player in the world would want to come to us to play under.
Very different challenges here to RM. He's also a RM man, much like Ole is a UTD man.

I posted in another thread one issue we have is putting too many eggs in one basket.

I don't buy the point of players under certain manager either. That is not what makes their decision.

I'm not willing to risk an experiment with Zidane doing it outside of RM.

iato89

We are such a poor run club. Why extend? What has he done to merit a new contract? He still has 1 year left, so what is the rush, what if things continue to go bad? We just lose in fashion in the serie B of Europe against the 7th placed team in the la liga and he gets rewarded a new contract? We are a joke, and we deserve another 3 years of nothing.

Last edited:

mancan92

Very different challenges here to RM. He's also a RM man, much like Ole is a UTD man.

I posted in another thread one issue we have is putting too many eggs in one basket.

I don't buy the point of players under certain manager either. That is not what makes their decision.

I'm not willing to risk an experiment with Zidane doing it outside of RM.
Being a real Madrid man means nothing he is a manager who was hugely successful at a huge club, managed huge personalities, got them to perform to their maximum and won the biggest trophies. Pep was a Barcelona man yet has won where ever he has gone.

Its far more of an experiment having Ole in charge than Zidane.

Also there's nothing to buy about what I said. Any player looking to win trophies would believe it is more possible with zidane than Ole. If zidane gives you a call and says he wants you it makes an impact he has a world wide prestige outside of management and within management has created that again. Its logic. Nothing to disagree with. Just imagine you were a footballer wanting to win titles forget about who is your favourite team.

bsCallout

We are such a poor run club. Why extend? What has he done to merit a new contract? We just lose in fashion in the serie B of Europe against the 7th placed team in the la liga and he gets rewarded a new contract? We are a joke, and we deserve another 3 years of nothing.
Klopp lost to Seville under Emery, should they have sacked him? They were also 7th in the league. The next season they had no European football, were knocked out of the fa cup in the fourth round and just made top 4.

bsCallout

Being a real Madrid man means nothing he is a manager who was hugely successful at a huge club, managed huge personalities, got them to perform to their maximum and won the biggest trophies. Pep was a Barcelona man yet has won where ever he has gone.

Its far more of an experiment having Ole in charge than Zidane.

Also there's nothing to buy about what I said. Any player looking to win trophies would believe it is more possible with zidane than Ole. If zidane gives you a call and says he wants you it makes an impact he has a world wide prestige outside of management and within management has created that again. Its logic. Nothing to disagree with. Just imagine you were a footballer wanting to win titles forget about who is your favourite team.
Im glad we are sticking by Ole.

We could go back and forth with its and buts and theorise.

I wouldn't want to replace Ole with Zidane, his project was nothing similar to what we have going on at United.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole is what he is. I’m not expecting anything else from him because there is nothing else. He’s reached the limits of his ability if we’re honest.

Yes by all means give him till the start of next season at least but I don’t trust this club and it’s owners to have done any research on the next top level coach out there. Potter, Marsch have all been far better this season with limited resources. Ole has had superior toys to play with and really been wanting.

He’s stated himself that it hasn’t been a successful season. Does he put that down to himself? He doesn’t really answer that.

If he’s not ruthless in the next few weeks and we are still going into games with the likes of Bailly,Lindelhof, Fred and he’s unable to get the best out of Pogba and Bruno ... then we all know what the answer is.
Indeed. This is the best that he can do. No home cook can be as good as Gordon Ramsay.

bsCallout

If he’s not ruthless in the next few weeks and we are still going into games with the likes of Bailly,Lindelhof, Fred and he’s unable to get the best out of Pogba and Bruno ... then we all know what the answer is.
Wait . . Isn't this down to the board? If our board don't buy and sell, what is he supposed to do?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not happy if they extend as of yet. Let him have next season on the proviso that we win a trophy. He got to a final, now he has to show he has the mentality to succeed. If not let him go. If they extend then it has to be the target is a trophy. If it is just Top 4 then we are just going round in circles.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
People are so petulant. EL winners or not, that is not what he should be judged on to decide if he gets a new contract.

Letting go of him would be stupid in my opinion. He has brought a feel good factor back to the club, performed good overall in the league and got quite far in cups, got rid of a lot of deadwood and brought in some good players yet people want him gone because of a EL final loss.

We won the EL with Mourinho but went backwards, winning an average tournament doesn't show the overall progress.

Sacking managers every couple of years and bringing in someone new hasn't worked since SAF retired yet people want us to continue the cycle all over again.

I would rather finish 3rd then 2nd in the league over winning second rate trophies such as the EL anyway.
Ole has shown from his last 2 league finishes that the club are making progress and he is doing a good job handling the young players and the majority of his signings.

Give him 2 more years and if we aren't challenging got the league then fair enough, but the progress is there for all to see and if you can't see it then you are ignoring it purposely.

Glazers Out!

Man Utd fans deserve another 3 years of mediocre if Ole contract is renewed.
This is the American Closed Franchise League way.
It encourages mediocrity as there is no threat of relegation and the worst team gets the highest college draft pick.
You can literally be mediocre or bad for 25 years and still make money hand over fist as the television money is split equally between all the teams.
Every two decades or so you can throw the fans a bone to appease them by actually trying to win for a couple years.

Why put your own money in improvements or a new stadium when you expect the city and populace to pay for it.

If the fans and city revolt then the owners simply move the team to another city.

This is what the Glazer's are trying to achieve.

Someone

Something
Don't think he's done enough to warrant a renewal. Failing to challenge next season would see him definitely out of the club, but it's not my money so I don't care.

theklr

People tend to forget that if they were to give Ole a 1- year renewal they would in theory say «we dont trust you» , and that would immidiately affect the players and incomings since they wouldnt know what comes next.

Its not like clubs doesnt sack managers with years left on their contract.