Do we heavily rely on mistakes to score goals?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
One could argue the energetic pressing causes mistakes.
How many of these goals that people are referencing come as a direct result of us pressing the opposition though? Take last night for instance. The Brugge player takes a throw in, and his dopey teammate allows it to run into the path of the only United player in their half.

Ole wasn’t sat there thinking “ah yes, months of hard work on the training ground have paid off.” It’s sheer luck, there’s no method to any of it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's funny, because when teams make mistakes that are punished against Liverpool it's called 'making traps'. As in Liverpool are 'making traps' that teams are falling into.
Yet United offer up the same and it's just the opposition making mistakes.
Most goals come from mistakes, rarely is there not a mistake made in the lead up to a goal.

Denis79

Aren’t all goals down to a defensive mistake on some
If you ask a manager they would probably say so but I guess it depends what you see as a mistake. Is being outrun, outjumped, overpowered, being dribbled etc a mistake? There are goals that are created by defensive mistakes but also goals that are simply created by superiority?

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you ask a manager they would probably say so but I guess it depends what you see as a mistake. Is being outrun, outjumped, overpowered, being dribbled etc a mistake? There are goals that are created by defensive mistakes but also goals that are simply created by superiority?
outrun - Yes, if a player has left himself in a position where he can be outrun, either his positioning wasn't good or someone else made a mistake which exposed him.
outjumped - Yes, either the wrong player is marking, he timed his jump wrong, the cross should have been cut out ect
overpowered - Yes, look at a player like Silva, he plays the game perfectly well without worrying about being "Overpowered". You can beat someone in a 50/50 twice the size of you if your timing and technique is right. If you're smaller than them, you get your body between the player and the ball and get rewarded with a foul.
dribbled - Definitely

Denis79

outrun - Yes, if a player has left himself in a position where he can be outrun, either his positioning wasn't good or someone else made a mistake which exposed him.
outjumped - Yes, either the wrong player is marking, he timed his jump wrong, the cross should have been cut out ect
overpowered - Yes, look at a player like Silva, he plays the game perfectly well without worrying about being "Overpowered". You can beat someone in a 50/50 twice the size of you if your timing and technique is right. If you're smaller than them, you get your body between the player and the ball and get rewarded with a foul.
dribbled - Definitely
I get your points, although I have to respectfully disagree. Two best headers in each team can be up against eachother, someone has to lose, I've seen defences been ripped apart be excellent football, not initiated by mistakes. Exceptional players creating something from nothing. But as I said, it depends on the defenition of mistake I guess.

It's the skill of the other team that forces so called "mistakes" on the opponents, I see it as being outplayed by a more skillful team. I guess we agree but in a different way :)

Paul_Scholes18

Yes they do! Ooh didn't read the title out. Thought it was a Liverpool section post here ;). For us certainly not.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
In the end though, isn't every goal the result of a mistake?

Le Red

Every team does, to some extent.
I don't think every goal is the result of a mistake, but most definitely are.

Paul_Scholes18

In the end though, isn't every goal the result of a mistake?
Yeah in a way. Also always a result of good performance too.

I think people means a recent mistake or keep howler here though.
Not dropping the ball in attack and then let a goal in 10 passes later.