Do we need to talk about Matic?

norm87cro

Nothing to talk about really. He is a great pro and has become a squad option instead of a first team option due to his age. Calling him shite is really not cool when we have the likes of Darmian, Rojo, Smalling and Sanchez in the squad.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Theirs probably an element of that of him playing too much, but thats part of been wanting to be a key part of a big clubs team. Simply put players struggle to do it when they get to around 30, most players generally loose a yard of pace around this age, no question this has happened to Matic.

Which is why you should never sign payer of that age for big fees and big contracts as you don't know how they are going to adapt when they loose that yard of pace.
He never had any pace to begin with so that's never been the main issue with him. Fernandinho is doing fine and he is older than him, he benefits from a better structured team and his manager rest him or sub him.
We are always obsessed with age without focusing on more important things

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He never had any pace to begin with so that's never been the main issue with him. Fernandinho is doing fine and he is older than him, he benefits from a better structured team and his manager rest him or sub him.
We are always obsessed with age without focusing on more important things
I dodn't think we are obssessed with age, we are obssessed with perfoamnces and the way a player is performing, and age effects thats.

Matic was never the quickest, but he was quicker then he is now, that effects lots of aspects of his game, if your slower you need to massivly improve your positioning, like Fernandinho did as he got older. Matic has also been a very phyical player, he struggling to get close to players to use that physicality.

As you get older you need to be rotated more, again this reduces a players value, which is another reason not to buy players coming up to 30.

Also as you get older you need the team to be more structured around you, Pep is amazing at structuring a team, the way Fergie structured and roated his team to get every last drop of football out of Scholes and Giggs was similar. We havn't got that structure so an aging player trying to adpat his game to adjust for the fact he is slowing down is going to find it even harder.

Age does matter, and it is right to be obssessed with players ages, becuase age does effect players.

kouroux

I dodn't think we are obssessed with age, we are obssessed with perfoamnces and the way a player is performing, and age effects thats.

Matic was never the quickest, but he was quicker then he is now, that effects lots of aspects of his game, if your slower you need to massivly improve your positioning, like Fernandinho did as he got older. Matic has also been a very phyical player, he struggling to get close to players to use that physicality.

As you get older you need to be rotated more, again this reduces a players value, which is another reason not to buy players coming up to 30.

Also as you get older you need the team to be more structured around you, Pep is amazing at structuring a team, the way Fergie structured and roated his team to get every last drop of football out of Scholes and Giggs was similar. We havn't got that structure so an aging player trying to adpat his game to adjust for the fact he is slowing down is going to find it even harder.

Age does matter, and it is right to be obssessed with players ages, becuase age does effect players.
Age effects things more or less which is why each case has to be looked at individually. In Matic's case, it's not about his age for me. He isn't old and each season it's the same thing, he starts well then struggles for a long period, he finally gets a little rest and perform a little better again. He's been like this since his first season. I'm not saying age isn't important in general but in this case, we've basically run him into the ground

Stacks

Age effects things more or less which is why each case has to be looked at individually. In Matic's case, it's not about his age for me. He isn't old and each season it's the same thing, he starts well then struggles for a long period, he finally gets a little rest and perform a little better again. He's been like this since his first season. I'm not saying age isn't important in general but in this case, we've basically run him into the ground
He only made 38 appearances all season. If that's running into the ground for him it is even more reason to replace him with someone who can cope with the rigours. It's not as if he offers some irreplaceable qualities like old man Scholes or Giggs did

kouroux

He only made 38 appearances all season. If that's running into the ground for him it is even more reason to replace him with someone who can cope with the rigours. It's not as if he offers some irreplaceable qualities like old man Scholes or Giggs did
Yeah but it'd be interesting to see how many times he's been subbed and how he was used for 90mins straight after serious injuries (at the start of the season, the game we losr 0-3 to Spurs and also towards the last third of the season but my memory escapes me).

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
don't think he is been run into the ground just think he is capable of playing less football each year and when he does play he isnt quite as good as he was cos he is slowing down.

For me it is down to aging.

UnitedChampionsAgain

He was in full jogging mode last season. I'm not expecting anything different this time, just slower. Where has his desire gone?

Manutd1990

He is a problem for now. Literally lining up with Matic in midfield makes us average. If we are losing PP then it is even more urgent. What games does he even stand up in? Has 5 weeks a season where he isn't TOTAL shite and Chelsea offloaded him for many reasons and we are experiencing them. I'm deadly serious. Spurs just signed a dynamic, technically decent but also physical specimen in the 20 something Ndombele and we gonna compete with dead men like Matic? I don't even remember him last having an acceptable season but a las, United don't learn and will try to compete and give it a real go with vastly inferior personnel....
Well, yes. Matic is not good enough. But with herrera and pogba going, they need replaceing. We cant replace all of them now, still need a cb also.

RatPack

Well, yes. Matic is not good enough. But with herrera and pogba going, they need replaceing. We cant replace all of them now, still need a cb also.
In my opinion this is the biggest problem we have. We need a DM to cover for Pogba (or someone else) and to ease the pressure on the CB's.

Getting this one right would improve all the players around them.

Matic is just too slow. If we play Matic as a starter we will not make top 4 (Maybe not even top 6). No matter who else we sign.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's clearly as finished as Sanchez, Fellaini, Smalling, Darmian etc were, so why's he still here? - no depth needed, kids, pathways cleared, deadwood out, wages saved, etc.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You'll be starting him and Fred in the europa and league cup games I think.