Do we still need to finish fourth to qualify for CL?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Appealing can change that. It's why an appeal process exists. At the very least it will be deferred (also why an appellate process exists), so I don't see it impacting next year's CL. Would be very surprised if that happens.
You're probably right, but the timing from UEFA is strange, they want to make an example of City that's been obvious for a while, but why not do it at the start of this season, nothing obvious has changed since, and to appear in the 2020/21 Champions League City providing they qualify for it will have to ask UEFA's permission to play in it(which apparently you have to do) by midnight on the last day of this season which doesn't give them much time to put an appeal together and have it overturned, or suspended.

Josep Dowling

The League finishes with United in 5th, Chelsea and Tottenham equal 6th(equal points/wins/goal difference/h2h), Chelsea are only listed 6th in the final League table on alphabetic order, United then win the Europa League freeing up 5th place, what happens then, do they have a play-off, or should UEFA do the honourable thing and let United decide which of the two clubs takes our place?
I’m fairly sure only a maximum of 4 English teams can qualify for the Champions League therefore if an English team won the Europa League and didn’t make top 4, only the top 3 would get the Champions League.

Class of 63

Sourness
I’m fairly sure only a maximum of 4 English teams can qualify for the Champions League therefore if an English team won the Europa League and didn’t make top 4, only the top 3 would get the Champions League.
Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Europa League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's UEFA Champions League regardless of their league finishing position. A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification

It would probably just mean the teams that finished 3rd and 4th would have to play one, or two qualifying rounds to get into the group stage proper, instead of the team that finishes 4th as it currently is.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Nope. 5 teams would quality if that happened.

Schmeichel=God

Mourinho gets his 2 million pay check or Ole saves his job ? Where can I start placing bet?

Hard to decide. Ole is a lucky man, but Mourinho is more experienced.

Could you imagine Sheffield, Wolves or Everton in the champions league? :lol:
If it was Wolves then that on the books super agent of theirs would start rubbing his hands with sheer glee. He'd start Harry Redknapping deals for his upper tier players instead and Wolves might go on to establish themselves as constant top 6/actual danger to ongoing top 4.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I thought "5th? Yes, excellent chance of CL football." but then I actually looked at the table.

We're 9th, 5 points off 5th and away to Chelsea next. We haven't a fecking prayer of 5th.

Robertd0803

Finish 4th to remove all doubt. It would be just our luck to finish 5th celebrate qualifying for the CL only for City to be reinstated.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ole gets 6th on 55 points and a 40% win ratio and gets CL football.

Because.

Mou takes Spurs to the Final and wins but finishes 7th.

Mou once again helping United out and dooming us at the same time.
Except you can't have 6 teams from one country in there!

fps

From bad form of other teams to transfer bans to city’s ban, absolutely everything has favoured Ole externally to get champions league and grasp the opportunity he has been given. Let’s see if he can take it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We ain’t gonna finish 5th so I wouldn’t worry about it. The manager we sacked in favour of Frodo will bag that space. We are now too busy keeping company with the likes of Sheffield United, Everton and Wolves, with our noses only just in front of the mighty Newcastle and Southampton.

:lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What about those 2012 & 2018 titles? I want 22.

Don’t worry about 5th anyway, Ole’s at the wheel, we’ll come 9th.

Betson

We have to assume they will get this overturned , 4th still has to be the target. Lose tomorrow night and it is over , it is already only hanging by a thread.

Rafaeldagold

Even 5th we won’t reach with Ole. The manager we sacked will get it- on the pitch & in the dug our we aren’t world class anymore.

cyril C

You're probably right, but the timing from UEFA is strange, they want to make an example of City that's been obvious for a while, but why not do it at the start of this season, nothing obvious has changed since, and to appear in the 2020/21 Champions League City providing they qualify for it will have to ask UEFA's permission to play in it(which apparently you have to do) by midnight on the last day of this season which doesn't give them much time to put an appeal together and have it overturned, or suspended.
I think appeal will only reduce sentence, not removing it. So best City could hope for is down to 1 season. So this season 5th is good enough.

Have you guys look into the figure? City stands to lose 90m on CL TV money plus 25m penalty. Let's assume their owner can absorb that, but the more important thing is on over-stated revenue, which is 60m coming from the owner's family instead of Etihad Ltd. Which means City MUST balance this shortfall by reducing their expense, or raising ticket price to cover.

Reducing 60m a year means City needs to sell 1 player every season, until they cut off 6x 200k/week players from their squad, that is on top of any new players to replace Silva.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
My guess is the ban will be overturned or at least halved and UEFA will decide not to allow any English team in, especially if one of them wins it this season (other, of course than City)

hobbers

Kind of redundant when there's zero chance of us out-performing Sheffield over the rest of the season, let alone Spurs or Chelsea.

Member 113277

The FA have yet to take action and if it is a significant points deduction, Citeh may not make the top 5 :-)

Betson

If we cant fight for 4th at least we have no business in the cl

With the squad we have we have no business been in the CL no matter where we finish , we would only be makeweights to the bigger teams.

But it is of big importance in attracting better players to the club, we are never going to win it with what we have but important to qualify to offer potential players CL football.

I think we also take a big financially on sponsor contracts etc if we are out of the CL two years in a row. Which could also have an effect on signing players.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
With the squad we have we have no business been in the CL no matter where we finish , we would only be makeweights to the bigger teams.

But it is of big importance in attracting better players to the club, we are never going to win it with what we have but important to qualify to offer potential players CL football.

I think we also take a big financially on sponsor contracts etc if we are out of the CL two years in a row. Which could also have an effect on signing players.
Spot on on all points.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Doh, spurs can come 6th we'll have 5th.
Don't understand what Spurs have to do with this. As long as City's ban gets upheld, 5th place will be enough to get us CL football, unless the CL and EL winners are both PL teams that finished outside the Top 5.

Lee565

If man city ban stays in tact and liverpool win the champions league then 6th place will also qualify for a champions league spot, no?

Though I doubt we will even finish 6th with Ole in charge for the whole season.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
If man city ban stays in tact and liverpool win the champions league then 6th place will also qualify for a champions league spot, no?

No. Aside from ineligibility (City's case), there is no scenario where Champions League berths get pushed down the league table to other teams that didn't already qualify.

Roboc7

We’re looking over our shoulders at Burnley and Arsenal. Whether or not City manage to delay their ban I don’t think it will make much difference for us.

Lee565

No. Aside from ineligibility (City's case), there is no scenario where Champions League berths get pushed down the league table to other teams that didn't already qualify.
I realize now i was mixing it up with if a team finished outside of the champions league spots in their league but won the champions league would still qualify for the champions league next season.

Class of 63

Sourness
I think appeal will only reduce sentence, not removing it. So best City could hope for is down to 1 season. So this season 5th is good enough.

Have you guys look into the figure? City stands to lose 90m on CL TV money plus 25m penalty. Let's assume their owner can absorb that, but the more important thing is on over-stated revenue, which is 60m coming from the owner's family instead of Etihad Ltd. Which means City MUST balance this shortfall by reducing their expense, or raising ticket price to cover.

Reducing 60m a year means City needs to sell 1 player every season, until they cut off 6x 200k/week players from their squad, that is on top of any new players to replace Silva.
It might be better for City to take it on the chin, learn from it and move on, if they appeal and lose the appeal UEFA might add an extra year or two, and none of us would want that!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

No!
You can't have 50 million teams in from one league :lol:

LimePark

Supports
Chelsea
I can't help but think that any team that aims for fifth thinking they'll get Champions League football out of it will be left sorely disappointed when City's ban get overturned (at least for this year).

cyril C

It might be better for City to take it on the chin, learn from it and move on, if they appeal and lose the appeal UEFA might add an extra year or two, and none of us would want that!
Not sure how this Appeal work. But definitely not challenging the sentence in those European Court which will definitely bring in retaliation. If Appeal is just a formality like those FA red card appeal then worthwhile to try, at least just to shorten it. As I said, Ban is only a minor thing, long term problem is to bring revenue in line. Either they can SUDDENLY find a sugar daddy sponsor covering 20-30m a season (still short), or raising ticket price , or have to cut cost to something like 60m a season. Talking about Spurs and Arsenal's painful ride....