Do you believe Ronaldo is finished as a top level player?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rojofiam

People get proper emotional, the season is a few games in. He had no pre season because of personal issues, a new manager who rightly so, only wants to play his way. There is an adjust period, even our other players are taking time adjust, apart from a few, most players have shown a little improvement and still a long way to go to erase last seasons memories. Hevwant to leave in the summer, do you blame him? Last season we were a mess, he's a legendary player, he demands high results and last season we played worse than Sunday league at times. He is also 37, he career is closing, I dont blame him for wanting to leave. Despite paper talk, he has been professional, put his heart on the line to win. Its not working out for him right now, he looks off the pace, but i wouldnt judge him jist 8 games into a 50 plus game season. For those complaining about why we bought him, becareful what you wish for, if it was not for him and possibly de gea, who knows where we would have finished. 18 goals in 30 league games and 6 goals in 7 champion league games and above all amongst a squad that was literally trash and led by a buffoon.
:lol:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

In case you're not, I'm sure that minimum number of 2000 is true for some survey somewhere but it obviously doesn't apply to most surveys since that wouldn't make any sense. More importantly though it obviously doesn't apply to a poll on the Caf.
of course it doesn't apply to the Caf but there is a legal limit for surveys in general - ie if you ask people who they are going to vote for or if a holiday form wants to know the most popular definitions. My point remains, however, 700 isn't exactly a huge number to base anything on and o course takes no account on members who don't vote one way or the other (for instance, I rarely vote in Caf surveys)

Zlaatan

Parody Account
of course it doesn't apply to the Caf but there is a legal limit for surveys in general - ie if you ask people who they are going to vote for or if a holiday form wants to know the most popular definitions. My point remains, however, 700 isn't exactly a huge number to base anything on and o course takes no account on members who don't vote one way or the other (for instance, I rarely vote in Caf surveys)
For serious surveys done by statistical centers and the like there are certain criteria that has to be met for the results to matter, sure. But as you said yourself that doesn't even apply here so there's no use in bringing it up in the first place.

And no this poll obviously doesn't take into account the members who haven't voted but to say that we can't base anything on 700 (800+) votes only shows that you're desperate to downplay the results since you don't like them, not that the results somehow misrepresents the opinion of the caf.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
For serious surveys done by statistical centers and the like there are certain criteria that has to be met for the results to matter, sure. But as you said yourself that doesn't even apply here so there's no use in bringing it up in the first place.

And no this poll obviously doesn't take into account the members who haven't voted but to say that we can't base anything on 700 (800+) votes only shows that you're desperate to downplay the results since you don't like them, not that the results somehow misrepresents the opinion of the caf.
I didn't say they meant nothing - just there weren't enough numbers to convince me... but I shouldn't really be shocked at people here putting words into my mouth. And I certainly shouldn't be surprised to be lectured on what I can and can't bring up here, or to be told what my reasoning is or isn't

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I didn't say they meant nothing - just there weren't enough numbers to convince me... but I shouldn't really be shocked at people here putting words into my mouth. And I certainly shouldn't be surprised to be lectured on what I can and can't bring up here, or to be told what my reasoning is or isn't
Oh ffs this is not that dramatic.

I didn't say you said they meant nothing so I didn't put any words in your mouth and I didn't lecture you about what you can and can't bring up either, I said there was no use in talking about it when it doesn't apply. You can say anything you want in your replies to me but if it has nothing to do with what we're talking about then I might point that out. I'm sorry if that surprises you or makes you feel bad.

Tyrion

Are you also counting his time as Juventus player too? Because it’s clear over a year without Ronaldo, Juventus are performing even worst than ever.
I am. They do seem to have gotten worse but they also got worse when he arrived and Real Madrid seem to have been fine once he left.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
With Ronaldo it's too early to write home off. I'd rather decide at the end of the season. Of course he's long past his prime, but he finished last season stronger than he started it. He's definitely not worth his wages anymore that goes without saying.

b82REZ

With Ronaldo it's too early to write home off. I'd rather decide at the end of the season. Of course he's long past his prime, but he finished last season stronger than he started it. He's definitely not worth his wages anymore that goes without saying.
I don't think it's too early to make judgements.

He doesn't fit into the system we're implementing. If we set up to serve him he likely will get respectable numbers, like last season. But it really does come at the detriment at the overall cohesion of the team.

I hope he eventually can learn to play in this system as a motivated, goal scoring Ronaldo can only be a positive for us. But based on his career the odds are against that happening.

Greck

Nah it's not too early in my opinion. These games where he's sucking still count and can affect a season. Even the famous last season that gets so much praise wasn't worth it. We stuck by him for so long, he eventally found form but all was just about lost. We shot ourselves in the foot playing him every minute of his poor form. This is why I get irritated about the CL thing, we will never know if we could have rescued a point here or there if the manager was actually allowed to bench him without controversy.

All those games counted. To be more specific, his out of form performances are the main danger. These days his bad days are diabolical, missing clear cut chances and turning promising situations into nothing. Also a hazard because no one had the good sense to stop playing the Ronaldo system when he's playing badly and making him the center of every attack. The club doesn't seem to operate rationally when it comes to Ronaldo. He's goddamn 37 being treated like he's still in his prime. I mean, look at this shocker, a 37 year old who now seems guaranteed to be gash for sizable chunks of the season isn't a top player anymore?

Suedesi

Just watch the Czech - Portugal match and tell me he is NOT finished? His finishing is so bad he made Dalot look like Franz Beckenbauer

little.triangles

It’s amongst the cringiest signature celebrations ever
Ronaldo's siuuu after scoring the penalty against Sheriff was the cringiest ever. The guy couldn't place a pass the whole game and then he does that. Utter lack of self awareness.

To be fair, all signature celebrations are cringey. Miss the times when footballers celebrared in genuinely unpredictable ways from the sheer delight of scoring.

Last edited:

GinobiliTheGOAT

Ronaldo's siuuu after scoring the penalty against Sheriff was the cringiest ever. The guy couldn't place a pass the whole game and then he does that. Utter lack of self awareness.

To be fair, all signature celebrations are cringey. Miss the times when footballers celebrared in genuinely unpredictable ways from the sheer delight of scoring.
Yeah, the Europa penalty celebration was cringey as hell my god. Well said.

Mercurial

A wild Lingard just appeared.

b82REZ

I think that was more for the crowd that him being overjoyed with the goal.

fallengt

700 is a large enough sample size. The problem is caf posters are mostly United supporters and they think Ronaldo, a United player is finished at highest level, rightly so.
But if you want to do a proper poll, there needs to be randomness in sampling, i.e asking neutral fans of other clubs.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It’s amongst the cringiest signature celebrations ever
It’s also one of the most iconic. So much so that the whole stadium of fans at old trafford, bernabeu, and Allianz stadium all did it with him.

He didn’t do it after scoring vs Sherrif because he was “happy “ he did it because it’s his signature move.

Their were even Sherrif fans who said “siuu” when he did it.

phelans shorts

It’s also one of the most iconic. So much so that the whole stadium of fans at old trafford, bernabeu, and Allianz stadium all did it with him.

He didn’t do it after scoring vs Sherrif because he was “happy “ he did it because it’s his signature move.

Their were even Sherrif fans who said “siuu” when he did it.
The Moldovans were the only ones who did.

Not that there were many actual Sheriff fans their, mind.

Giggsyking

What options did he has? Nobody, was in for him, Nobody.

Robbie Boy

Another clueless ex-player.
Really? I mean, he says he knows for a fact he had options, so perhaps he has better insight than your average RedCafe poster. Keane is a very good pundit, and I see no reason why he would totally make something up like that.

Luka Mora

Dinosaur.

where was keane's mouth in the summer, when Ronaldo went on strike and had his agent turn up at the training ground trying to get him out of the club after touting him all around Europe?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Dinosaur.

where was keane's mouth in the summer, when Ronaldo went on strike and had his agent turn up at the training ground trying to get him out of the club after touting him all around Europe?
I dare you to say that to his face... you'd be dinosaur dinner

Idxomer

Really? I mean, he says he knows for a fact he had options, so perhaps he has better insight than your average RedCafe poster. Keane is a very good pundit, and I see no reason why he would totally make something up like that.
I don't think he had realistic options and the reports at the end of the window were Ten Hag was open to him moving but no one came for him.

Keane is clueless because he's suggesting that not playing him means the club is disrespecting him which is total bullshit. He still treats Ronaldo as someone who has to play all important games because he guarantees goals which isn't even true anymore.

Robbie Boy

I don't think he had realistic options and the reports at the end of the window were Ten Hag was open to him moving but no one came for him.

Keane is clueless because he's suggesting that not playing him means the club is disrespecting him which is total bullshit. He still treats Ronaldo as someone who has to play all important games because he guarantees goals which isn't even true anymore.
I agree about the disrespecting thing being very OTT, but it doesn't mean he's 'clueless', it's just his opinion.

Maybe Keane has inside knowledge of actual offers that Ronaldo had. None of us really know what transpired over the summer, but I'm betting Ronaldo will let the world know, once he leaves.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It means diddly squat if his options did not make a bid.
Ronaldo wanted us to release him from his contract.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Keane is a footballing dinosaur. The game has changed and he hasn't changed with it. No top or medium club would have him as manager.

As for Ronaldo he can feck off asap. Got no time for him, No player is bigger than the club.

CM

Keane is absolutely blinded when it comes to Ronaldo.

It's not even about pressing anymore with Ronaldo. He looked entirely out of his depth against some fecking minnow team from Moldova, never mind Premier League teams. There has been multiple times this season where Ronaldo has been given a couple of yards headstart on defenders and is still getting caught up, and these aren't even quick players we're talking about here. Ronaldo has to swallow his role as a cup player and either try to fight for his place or feck off at the earliest opportunity.

RedOrange

Keane is absolutely blinded when it comes to Ronaldo.

It's not even about pressing anymore with Ronaldo. He looked entirely out of his depth against some fecking minnow team from Moldova, never mind Premier League teams. There has been multiple times this season where Ronaldo has been given a couple of yards headstart on defenders and is still getting caught up, and these aren't even quick players we're talking about here. Ronaldo has to swallow his role as a cup player and either try to fight for his place or feck off at the earliest opportunity.
Yeah I didn't vote in the poll because I honestly don't know if Ronaldo is finished or not, but he has looked pretty bad and is purely an inside the box poacher at this point. He's not beating anyone with his pace.

If we keep playing him he might find some stretches of good form but they'll be fewer and further between than in years past. It's a small sample for both but Martial has been so much more effective that it's pretty clear that he's the better option to start matches with Ronaldo coming on late when his declining athleticism is less pronounced.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I cannot fathom why pundits keep referring to his goat status. It is irrelevant to the present conversation.

RedOrange

Mate it's not a UK public opinion poll. 700 is plenty to get a sense of the sentiment of caf posters.

It's at 860 now with 80% voting that he's finished. We can confidently say that the majority of caf posters think he's done at the top level.

Luka Mora

I dare you to say that to his face... you'd be dinosaur dinner
Wooweee everyone must be terrified of keane! :rolleyes:

This ain't 1999, no one is scared of Roy Keane and if I met him face to face I'll tell him the same thing that he's a dinosaur and ask him where he was when Ronaldo was disrespecting the club and manager

Abraxas

Clearly ETH believes he is totally and utterly finished. That's the most pertinent thing.

colombianmancunian

Wooweee everyone must be terrified of keane! :rolleyes:

This ain't 1999, no one is scared of Roy Keane and if I met him face to face I'll tell him the same thing that he's a dinosaur and ask him where he was when Ronaldo was disrespecting the club and manager
+1
People talking about footballers as if they were trained assassins is something I never understood. Is as bad as those Chuck Norris jokes (albeit Norris at least is a martial artist).

MegadrivePerson

I cannot fathom why pundits keep referring to his goat status. It is irrelevant to the present conversation.
It's bizarre!
Too many people are remembering the player he was, not the player he is now!

Surely even the pundits must realise that he's almost 38, he is a long long way off the player he was at his peak and isn't going to be part of the future of this or any club!

Ronaldo is at MLS level now. It's sad but it comes to all great players. The sooner everybody accepts this the better!