Do you believe Ronaldo is finished as a top level player?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

croadyman

EtH said he's getting better fitness wise but he's still not there yet. I wouldn't write him off until he gets more starts under his belt. I wouldn't start him against City though :nervous: Fixtures after that are more likely.
He looks a shadow of the player,just unfortunate we couldn't find a taker despite lack of quality striker options.

croadyman

I think he is going to start scoring. He is dropping too deep. I don't think he can play more than one half. He always need the early cross.
Not convinced of that because for some reason he's started being hesitant in final third

galwayfa

I think lack of a pre-season plus him trying to save himself for the World Cup are playing a part here. Either way, doesn’t help our cause.
Do you think an elite player will try and save himself for a tournament instead of perfoming as good as he can in a major league week and week out, they might do it odd time but i think they always try

RedCurry

Do you think an elite player will try and save himself for a tournament instead of perfoming as good as he can in a major league week and week out, they might do it odd time but i think they always try
When the elite player is Ronaldo then absolutely. Wasn’t he prioritizing CL over La Liga for years when he was in Spain?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
When it's CR7 and it's that one glorious, elite honor he has never won, yep.

Tyrion

He’s thirty-fecking-seven years old. Of course he’s finished. Why is this even in doubt?
An article in the Athletic recently seemed to be sourced from Ronaldo's camp and it claimed he thought he had 2-3 years left of top level football. I imagine a lot of his fans agree with him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wouldn’t start him in any big games now. He looks physically unfit. Could be because of his age and the fact he missed the whole preseason. But either way it doesn’t look good for him at the moment. Still believe he could pull another purple patch over the course of the season, but it probably won’t last long.

luke511

Club minutes:
Ronaldo - 76,644
Giggs - 70,557
Barry - 68,053
Messi - 67,263
Zlatan - 62,953

Serious mileage on the engine, figures with international games would be even more impressive. It's a miracle it's taken until the last 6-12 months to really show, whilst still finishing 3rd top PL goalscorer.

AussieDevil

He clearly isn’t. He clearly just isn’t match fit, he has lost pace, but you don’t just lose your touch. At 37 he is going to take a month or so to get into his groove, I know people will laugh at that but whether you like it or not, Ronaldo and Martial are our options. And just like half this forum said martial lost all his speed, dribbling and touch a year ago, are now doing the same to Ronaldo. We need both and we need to get behind both.

You don’t need to like the man but wishing for his downfall like so many in the match thread were was genuinely awful to see.

liman

Even if he was finished i still trust him more to lead our line rather than Martial or Rashford.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He clearly isn’t. He clearly just isn’t match fit, he has lost pace, but you don’t just lose your touch. At 37 he is going to take a month or so to get into his groove, I know people will laugh at that but whether you like it or not, Ronaldo and Martial are our options. And just like half this forum said martial lost all his speed, dribbling and touch a year ago, are now doing the same to Ronaldo. We need both and we need to get behind both.

You don’t need to like the man but wishing for his downfall like so many in the match thread were was genuinely awful to see.
A lot of people just want to see him finally fail. It’s understandable when you have been the top dog for so long it gets exhausting.

People saying he thinks he’s better then he is, well duh. How else would he think? He has the most elite mentality the sport has ever seen and only equaled or bested by MJ in that category.

Now in saying that is he still a top 5 player in the word ? Of course not. Can he still get you 20 goals a season? More then likely which st 37 is impressive.

He still has it but it’s very evident he’s lacking match fitness.

BTG

I think for 5 minutes a match he can be CR7.
Same with Rooney at the end.

There will be flashes of the player he was, but it won't be sustained

He is an amazing athlete and took great pains to keep his body in shape. Tom Brady is still going in his mid 40s with the same type of dedication.
Brady has also probably ran as many miles in his career as Ronaldo does in a season.

Father time will always remain undefeated

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He can have one last hurrah in MLS or Chinese league, sure. Not in EPL, unfortunately and it is painfully clear to everybody except to him, at this point. Big stars need to know when to walk off, him and Zlatan clearly don't.

gza the genius

I think he can still do a job as a poacher but he just looks so hopeless with his dribbling and passing. Every time he gets the ball and runs forward it's basically guaranteed he's going to get caught and probably lose it. At one point today I found myself giving him credit for not messing up an easy pass which isn't exactly a great compliment.

I think if he pressed and kept himself in the box he could do a job with his movement there and we could capitalize on Antony's crossing but outside of that I don't really see much use for him. And even then, he shouldn't be starting unless it's a last resort or we're resting others.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He'll score 15 goals in the EPL this season I think if he gets game time.

But he should be replaced next window 100% it's not him as a player that's the problem, his age means he just can't play a long season anymore. He also can't run as much as needed.

He will be lethal in the box when he gets the ball but he's not as quick as he used to be, his legs look heavy. I think he knows at this stage he isn't what he was a year or two ago.

Giggs was getting subbed a lot at this stage of his career and had to accept a squad role.

AussieDevil

A lot of people just want to see him finally fail. It’s understandable when you have been the top dog for so long it gets exhausting.

People saying he thinks he’s better then he is, well duh. How else would he think? He has the most elite mentality the sport has ever seen and only equaled or bested by MJ in that category.

Now in saying that is he still a top 5 player in the word ? Of course not. Can he still get you 20 goals a season? More then likely which st 37 is impressive.

He still has it but it’s very evident he’s lacking match fitness.
The club has become so toxic it’s out of control. You’d think DDG is as bad as Karius, you’d think Casemiro is the new Fred, and they treat Ronaldo like he isn’t one of the clubs greats.

I get that some blokes are more emotional than others but the way they’ve been carrying on you’d think Ronaldo has been with their wife.

At 37, he had 18 premier league goals but they’ll have you believe that in the space or two months he lost half his footballing ability, it doesn’t even take a genius to understand that’s not the case. It’s what we used to laugh at Arsenal fans for, we used to shame Madrid fans for the same. Now we are those fans.

colombianmancunian

Nah. He just didn’t have preseason and at his age that is costing him. Every match I see him getting better; he will finish the season with at least 20 goals for us. Ronaldo is just lacking match fitness.

The toxicity on this place is just something else. Some people here talk about our players as if they were league 2 substitutes.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

He's finished.

Time waits for no one and it caught him in the blink of an eye.

Pronewbie

Peep
He's no longer elite level that's for sure. And I hope the coaches and players kick the diving out of his game after mis-controlling the ball. It's embarrassing.

liman

If Ole turns him down last summer, he’s still in a job imo.
Having ole stick with the job is a bad things , i will forever be thankful for Ronaldo if he was directly or indirectly caused his sack. Beside it's not like we were playing well for about 2 - 3 months before Ronaldo came apart of Leeds game, Ole's wheel has fallen off multiple times , if he wasn't club legend he would have been sacked much sooner.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just wait, when he leaves for a smaller club & league and starts scoring, everyone in the Caf will say that we sold him too soon.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't have a doubt in my mind. It's not out of nowhere, half of last season he looked basically like this but finished the season well and started the season well. But now he ticks off every box for being past it basically. Doesn't have the strength anymore, or the pace, or most importantly - the agility. Every half chance the falls his way ends up being a much worse chance by the time he fires off a shot basically because he doesn't have the quickness to take a touch and quick shot. That's been his game for 20 years but it's gone now.

All he's good for now would be taking a shot first time, be it a cut back or a header... The second he needs to take a touch before shooting, it all goes to shit. I think he's realizing it too on the pitch.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

It's not his touch that's gone, it's the quickness to do anything after a first touch. He needs a few touches to get everything set so he can take a shot off and by then the chance is gone. Defenders close down the space more quickly than he can take a touch before shooting essentially.

Nobody is wishing for his downfall, but the effects of age are painfully clear to see.

This isn't a case of a player being injured so once their fit they'll be sharper. This is age related losing sharpness, and that doesn't come back.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
It's a good point. Obviously he shouldn't be starting for a top side at 37 that much is obvious, but he's not as bad as he looks right now. We're not creating enough clear chances in most games, his finishing is off when he does get a sight of goal but you'd back him to start scoring at some point if we give him the right service.

His touch and passing is poor right now but it's something that can fluctuate widely depending on form. I know it's a different scenario but after Brighton/Brentford the Mctominay thread was full of people saying he's not good enough for a PL side and should be in the championship, now everyone's hugging his nuts. Form can change very quickly.

What I don't understand is why you would keep a player who wants to leave on 400k a week who is likely causing dressing room friction, all so he can play Europa and league cup games. The only reason to keep him is if ETH thinks he's an integral player to his first 11 and too good to leave, and yet he's on the bench for the meaningful games despite our only other striker in Martial being injured. A complete lack of logic and foresight from the club yet again.
Most people with any idea about football aren't.

Strelok

No I don't believe. I know he's finished. It's a fact.

Let's pray Rashford or Martial can comeback before the PL games. We were effectively playing with ten men yesterday. Any PL team will spank us badly if Ronaldo starts. Let alone City.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The way he's started this season reminds me of Rooney towards the end. He might have a burst of pace to get into positions, but the fatigue shows itself in the touches after he's got the ball. Underhit/misdirected passes, tame/wayward shots, easily dispossessed, easily brushed off the ball, easily tripped over.

It's still early in the season and considering he didn't have a pre-season, there's still a chance that he'll get up to speed. He also has more weapons in his arsenal than Rooney, so he can still be effective as an aerial target and poacher. But for him not to be finished as a PL player, I think he has to readjust his game again.

In Rainbows

The club has become so toxic it’s out of control. You’d think DDG is as bad as Karius, you’d think Casemiro is the new Fred, and they treat Ronaldo like he isn’t one of the clubs greats.

I get that some blokes are more emotional than others but the way they’ve been carrying on you’d think Ronaldo has been with their wife.

At 37, he had 18 premier league goals but they’ll have you believe that in the space or two months he lost half his footballing ability, it doesn’t even take a genius to understand that’s not the case. It’s what we used to laugh at Arsenal fans for, we used to shame Madrid fans for the same. Now we are those fans.
I feel like you're describing yourselves. You're desperate to make him out to be something he is not. It's quite clear his age has deteriorated his footballing ability. There are no feelings involved in pointing out what everyone is seeing on the football pitch.

GreatDane

He very clearly is, but I saw you defending him in the match tread so I know you'll keep turning a blind eye to the facts.
It's pretty amazing the blind adoration some of you have for the man really.
He makes us a worse team, simple as.

The Red Thinker

Just came here to say that any footballer, no matter who, will struggle in a season without preseason. Ronaldo's own fault that he wasn't there for some of it (the other time I believe he wanted to be with family. Of course he also wanted to leave). Ronaldo is struggling to catch up for that reason as the team is far above in terms of match fitness and sharpness. Ronaldo may be match fit, but he lacks the time needed. At 37, it must be doubly hard without a preseason. He is reaping what he sowed. He will get back for one last push. We may see the best of Ronaldo after the World Cup.

Idxomer

He was finished last season too and wasn't playing well apart from the purple patch at the end of the season when he was putting himself on the market.

rollingstoned1

He was finished last year itself, we just didn't want to admit it or convinced ourselves that he would be the cherry on top of the cake from an experience pov to lead a genuine title push. Feels like such a long time ago since that delusional optimism died a horrible death with the reality check we got last year.

DevTheRed

Unless he plays in a system which is completely suited to him he’s useless.

Can’t press, can’t build up, can’t dribble, pace is gone and is a miserable b*stard 99% of the time. Sad to see.