Do you believe Ronaldo is finished as a top level player?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
When your speed goes that's it, his runs are few can't move away from defenders. He's still very good in or around the box, and in the air, but these attributes are getting worse as well, header To keeper on Sunday . Chip over bar on Thursday. This guy has scored so many goals from half chances, now it looks like he needs the keeper to jump out of the way to score. Last 3 games he's been a passenger at times, not his fault not ETH either, needs must and he had to play. The guy has gone on for so long because he's always FIT to play , just wish some more were like he was and is. Legend time is up though. But something tells me he hasn't finished yet !
Or maybe, just maybe become a creator instead of chasing goal numbers. Historically most top strikers evolve their game into being a creative hub. Due to a drop in all those physical attributes you mentioned. Setting unrealistic goal expectations makes no sense from both the player and his employers. We should be happy for him to get us 5 goals a season at this age but no, we want him to win us the league.

El Jefe

The most impressive thing he's done this season is wrestling Mings down to the ground. Apart from that he's been awful.

Mindhunter

He just isn't up for it anymore. The lack of preseason can only be used as an excuse for so long. He is trying desperately to prove his brilliance and prove ETH wrong in dropping him in the first place but it isn't working for him. I pity him now - something I never thought I will say for him. A former gladiator who has lost his edge but still believes he can conquer the arena.

With him in the team, we are lethargic. The lethargy starts upfront when we don't press the opponent's goalkeeper and CBs consistently. They get time on the ball and get an opportunity to settle themselves. He often doesn't play as a number 9. He drops deep to collect the ball to get involved in the build up thereby vacating the spaces where a traditional 9 occupy.

The only time he shows good judgement on the ball is when he is far from goal or doesn't see himself get into a goal scoring position. Even then he often plays the wrong pass or tries a trick or flick that rarely comes off. He has had a few good passes recently that turned into goals but that doesn't overwrite the numerous times he failed.

With him in the side, we almost feel like no progress has been made since the OGS days. He is somehow a portal that takes us back to last year.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Or maybe, just maybe become a creator instead of chasing goal numbers. Historically most top strikers evolve their game into being a creative hub. Due to a drop in all those physical attributes you mentioned. Setting unrealistic goal expectations makes no sense from both the player and his employers. We should be happy for him to get us 5 goals a season at this age but no, we want him to win us the league.
A creator of disappointment and no more than that. If the goals are gone there is nothing left in him.
He can't pass because he never did for the past 15 years, he can't dribble anymore because he lost his reactions, he can't even protect the ball because his diving alter ago wins every time he tries to stay on his feet. His heading is all over the place also.

TheRedHearted

Yeah Erik needs to slam his foot down on this
He just isn't up for it anymore. The lack of preseason can only be used as an excuse for so long. He is trying desperately to prove his brilliance and prove ETH wrong in dropping him in the first place but it isn't working for him. I pity him now - something I never thought I will say for him. A former gladiator who has lost his edge but still believes he can conquer the arena.

With him in the team, we are lethargic. The lethargy starts upfront when we don't press the opponent's goalkeeper and CBs consistently. They get time on the ball and get an opportunity to settle themselves. He often doesn't play as a number 9. He drops deep to collect the ball to get involved in the build up thereby vacating the spaces where a traditional 9 occupy.

The only time he shows good judgement on the ball is when he is far from goal or doesn't see himself get into a goal scoring position. Even then he often plays the wrong pass or tries a trick or flick that rarely comes off. He has had a few good passes recently that turned into goals but that doesn't overwrite the numerous times he failed.

With him in the side, we almost feel like no progress has been made since the OGS days. He is somehow a portal that takes us back to last year.
to the two post above - are injuries the only reason he’s back in the side? He was out of the side and we looked great now all of a sudden he’s back. Also to play him 90 minutes is insane.

A creator of disappointment and no more than that. If the goals are gone there is nothing left in him.
He can't pass because he never did for the past 15 years, he can't dribble anymore because he lost his reactions, he can't even protect the ball because his diving alter ago wins every time he tries to stay on his feet. His heading is all over the place also.
he had that lovely assist to-garnacho a couple games ago? Slotted in behind the defender. I could see him doing that as a deeper striker or taking up Bruno’s role as a backup. But that’s it and I have no idea why he starts,let alone play a full game or close to a full game. I would have rather Elanga start

Duckmanquack

People forget real quick in this game. This is his first season of week football in his career. He seemed really sharp last season both in the buildup and in front of goal. I find it hard to believe he just lost it all forever during the summer. He doesn't got "It" currently and seem very stiff & slow this season. Is he capable of getting to where he was in January-May? Only him&his team really knows. His focus has been off for months. I think its a mix of mental and physical things. I think he's capable of finishing the season on a high note if he puts everything he's got into getting there. But right now it doesn't look like it will be done for us during a rebuild. In which case he should leave in January if possible.

If he has good world cup he might get the motivation he needs to finish his united career on a high note and push him self to the maximum. The amount of shit he gets in the thread after half a bad season is sad to see. If there is someone who might suddenly get an On switch and start hammering in goals its him.

tomaldinho1

he had that lovely assist to-garnacho a couple games ago? Slotted in behind the defender. I could see him doing that as a deeper striker or taking up Bruno’s role as a backup. But that’s it and I have no idea why he starts,let alone play a full game or close to a full game. I would have rather Elanga start
He’s 37 years old though, not early thirties. Should have done what Messi did and go to a team in a less physical/fast league and with an elite team not a full scale rebuild. Even if his ego allowed him to become a creator it’s too late.

Elcabron

He will be 38 in February. Of course he is finished as a top level player. It's not even a debate at this stage.

TheRedHearted

He’s 37 years old though, not early thirties. Should have done what Messi did and go to a team in a less physical/fast league and with an elite team not a full scale rebuild. Even if his ego allowed him to become a creator it’s too late.
Yeah but I’m referring to him playing as a provider. I could see him laying balls off to our front three and he also has been defending deep.

he should go to america for the end, the pitches are smaller too aren’t they?

Abraxas

I agree with a lot of what you're saying in your analysis but I would dispute the phrase that he's not up for it. Not up to it seems more apt.

I don't see a guy putting in no effort. He's not a good presser, never has been - let alone at 37 years of age, chasing down PL teams that are high quality. I would say the effort is there to make runs , get on the end of chances but his body cannot do what his mind is telling him he should. That is written across his face at the moment, the frustration is evident.

Unfortunately it's also frustrating for us fans to see an improving side where the manager is completely hamstrung by a lack of striking options. It's very hard to play consistently well without one and Ronaldo is just not that man anymore. He looks like an MLS footballer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
there was signs of this last year, then he got a 2nd wind and smashed it toward the end of the season.

I could handle him not pressing often and making less runs if he could still finish, but that’s the worst part. His heading seems to have gone, he barely gets any shots away and when he does they are piss weak. It’s very strange but his body is clearly just not there anymore

croadyman

there was signs of this last year, then he got a 2nd wind and smashed it toward the end of the season.

I could handle him not pressing often and making less runs if he could still finish, but that’s the worst part. His heading seems to have gone, he barely gets any shots away and when he does they are piss weak. It’s very strange but his body is clearly just not there anymore
Yeah come on Erik it's time for him to get the Aubameyang treatment from you,to hell with the views of our ex players.

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
Let me put it like this:

22/23 season for Club and Country so far:

1st. Messi (16+14) 30

1st. Neymar (16+14) 30

2nd. Haaland (24+3) 27

3rd. Mbappe (20+5) 25

4th. Lewandowski (18+5) 23

Ronaldo (3+3) 6

Yeah, he’ll show something every now and then. But he has no consistency.
When Messi, who he has always been compared to, had a “crap” season scoring wise under Poch last season he still had plenty of assists (14).
Ronaldo doesn’t score or create consistently enough anymore.

tomaldinho1

Yeah but I’m referring to him playing as a provider. I could see him laying balls off to our front three and he also has been defending deep.

he should go to america for the end, the pitches are smaller too aren’t they?
Thing is why would United pander to him in that way when there are a hundred better alternatives? We need someone who can play as a modern CF not some kind of Kane without the goals.

Adam-Utd

Yeah come on Erik it's time for him to get the Aubameyang treatment from you,to hell with the views of our ex players.
I almost think this is why he’s doing it though?

Nobody can watch him over this last month and have any doubts now. If he gets dropped and they come out publicly backing him they’ll look stupid AF.

We didn’t really have any options before but now Martial is hopefully getting back fit, he won’t be first choice again.

It’s clear though if the club have any ambition we need another striker in january

KikiDaKats

Supports
I’d agree it’s to late now to change his game though.

KikiDaKats

Supports
You might be unto something here.

rooney2009

Ronaldo has set the club back by 2years and it’s not his fault really
We needed to be proactive and should have gotten a younger striker by now eg Haaland or Darwin or Osimehin or anybody else
He is not a bad influence like Auba so we need to treat him with a bit of respect and use him as a good squad player if it accepts till the end of the season
On the other hand Ronaldo should just go to Sporting or somewhere like that in January
He is and will always remain a united legend but age catche up with all of us at some point

Irwin99

I think that's true. He fully deserved the POTY award last year for a strong start and a good finish (and also being the best of a very very bad bunch) but there was a good two-three months mid-season where he was playing pretty much like he is now and nothing was going right for him. It was dire to witness.

Even if we can somehow squeeze a good two-three months out of him this season the evidence is mounting up that the bad periods are becoming the norm. I hope that if he doesn't leave in January and we don't get a new attacking player in that he can finish on a relatively high note here and at the very least contribute. This is a bit of a sad ending otherwise.

OldTrevil

He's been finished for quite some time and has always been a selfish player, ultimately it was a terrible decision to buy him back.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don’t think there is any debate left to be had over this.

He’s stayed a season too long in the most physically demanding league there is.

He was a world class unique player he’s now closer to a liability.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People got fooled by those 18 goals last season. Every time we got the ball and attacked the ball was aimed at him. That's why he ended with 18 which was still shit given he had the chances to get 30.

The two seasons before he came back we scored more PL goals in both seasons. I rest my case.

Adam-Utd

I think that's true. He fully deserved the POTY award last year for a strong start and a good finish (and also being the best of a very very bad bunch) but there was a good two-three months mid-season where he was playing pretty much like he is now and nothing was going right for him. It was dire to witness.

Even if we can somehow squeeze a good two-three months out of him this season the evidence is mounting up that the bad periods are becoming the norm. I hope that if he doesn't leave in January and we don't get a new attacking player in that he can finish on a relatively high note here and at the very least contribute. This is a bit of a sad ending otherwise.
Pretty much. I just don't see where he can get that spurt from like he did post christmas.

Maybe the world cup will somehow get his going again.

It feels like that period of him hitting 2x hattricks in a row is long gone.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
That's never been his game and he built his incredible career around scoring. He's literally obsessed with putting the ball in the net to the point that he can be pissed off when his own teammates score.

He has many qualities, but creating isn't one of them. He's not a Benzema for example. He's more than capable of assisting in and around the box, but he neither has the passing range nor the vision to act as a creator. His hold-up play went down the drain too.

Genuine question, which top strikers do you have in mind?

croadyman

Ronaldo has set the club back by 2years and it’s not his fault really
We needed to be proactive and should have gotten a younger striker by now eg Haaland or Darwin or Osimehin or anybody else
He is not a bad influence like Auba so we need to treat him with a bit of respect and use him as a good squad player if it accepts till the end of the season
On the other hand Ronaldo should just go to Sporting or somewhere like that in January
He is and will always remain a united legend but age catche up with all of us at some point
Still time to go all in for Osimhen,however unlike Haaland & Nunez he seemingly has no intention of leaving his current club

Gavinb33

You don't pat someone 500k pw to score 5 goals a season

Mr PG

He wasn't good last season either as he plays for himself (no running or effort) and he was the reason younger players like Martial left and Rashford sulked his way through the season as he was guarateed to start every game especially by Ole. Also of the 18 goals he scored all season 2 of them were hat-tricks.

This season...players trying to force the ball to Ronaldo against Newcastle may have cost us points.

Yakuza_devils

Missed the entire preseason, leave a match before it ends, refused to get sub in a match, poor performance, lack of running/pressing, lack of goals. But being handed captain armband and started 3 games straight.

It feels like we are still under Ole or Rangnick where player power at play.

Zed 101

For all his goals last season Ronaldo destroyed the teams ability to function as a team, Ole and then Rangnik were too weak to impose their tactics on to Ronaldo, so he got his goals but the team faltered, ETH has the strength to keep to his system, now Ronaldo is just now making it like we are playing with 10 men most matches

Hope he fecks off to America in January for his sake and ours

KikiDaKats

Supports
That's never been his game and he built his incredible career around scoring. He's literally obsessed with putting the ball in the net to the point that he can be pissed off when his own teammates score.

He has many qualities, but creating isn't one of them. He's not a Benzema for example. He's more than capable of assisting in and around the box, but he neither has the passing range nor the vision to act as a creator. His hold-up play went down the drain too.

Genuine question, which top strikers do you have in mind?
He has to adapt his game somehow and realise he won’t be scoring the same amount of goals as he use to.

To your question. I won’t use numbers to answer but I’ll just throw names like Henry, Suarez, Batistuta, Zlatan,etc. Even Rooney and Tevez, though it can be argued their game was slightly different but they were strikers and Ronaldo (a wide forward)should have transitioned better.

KikiDaKats

Supports
You don't pat someone 500k pw to score 5 goals a season
That was poor judgement by the club and to some extent the fans pressure. We’ll be better served getting the most we can till he leaves in time.

honirelandboy

He’s starting to remind me of Andy Carroll. He should retire after World Cup or head to MLS.

captaincantona

Big question is whether or not Portugal will persist with the guy. Of course he is like the messiah to them but the reality is they would have a much better chance at the World Cup without him. The slower pace of international football might allow him to contribute more but Portugal have options (unlike us) and Bruno looks twice the player when Ronny ain’t on the pitch.

He will start…but I hope the manager is brave enough to use his options…for Portugals sake.

Todd

For all his goals last season Ronaldo destroyed the teams ability to function as a team, Ole and then Rangnik were too weak to impose their tactics on to Ronaldo, so he got his goals but the team faltered, ETH has the strength to keep to his system, now Ronaldo is just now making it like we are playing with 10 men most matches

Hope he fecks off to America in January for his sake and ours
Ronaldo won't come to MLS. He is only leading Messi by 11 goals in the Champions League now, he'll be desperate to join a team that's still in the competition and get some goals.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Big question is whether or not Portugal will persist with the guy. Of course he is like the messiah to them but the reality is they would have a much better chance at the World Cup without him. The slower pace of international football might allow him to contribute more but Portugal have options (unlike us) and Bruno looks twice the player when Ronny ain’t on the pitch.

He will start…but I hope the manager is brave enough to use his options…for Portugals sake.
He isnt be brave enough to drop Ronaldo. If Portugal crashes out early the whole nation will pick up the pitchfork and blame him for not playing the diva although deep down they all know Ronaldo wont make a jack shite difference.

croadyman

I went to An Evening With Manchester Utd Legends last night hosted by Robbo,Coley & McClair and all played a straight bat. I understood why due to working on MUTV but it's the one part which disappointed me.