Do you believe Ronaldo is finished as a top level player?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People got fooled by those 18 goals last season. Every time we got the ball and attacked the ball was aimed at him. That's why he ended with 18 which was still shit given he had the chances to get 30.

The two seasons before he came back we scored more PL goals in both seasons. I rest my case.
We scored more goals, quite a lot more in fact, in 2002 and 2003, so that makes Rooney what exactly? :confused:

I’m not sure you should get into law if you rest your case on something so weak.

Thiagoal

Missed the entire preseason, leave a match before it ends, refused to get sub in a match, poor performance, lack of running/pressing, lack of goals. But being handed captain armband and started 3 games straight.

It feels like we are still under Ole or Rangnick where player power at play.
It definitely feels like ETH is being forced to play Ronaldo. Surely he can see the negative impact he is having on team performances! I can only think there’s some sort of contract clause stating he has to play a certain percentage of games or the Glazers need him to play for commercial reasons.When we get everyone back fit, I wouldn’t even pick him in the squad!

It definitely feels like ETH is being forced to play Ronaldo. Surely he can see the negative impact he is having on team performances! I can only think there’s some sort of contract clause stating he has to play a certain percentage of games or the Glazers need him to play for commercial reasons.When we get everyone back fit, I wouldn’t even pick him in the squad!
Nar, ETH aint the type to go along with that, he’d walk.
I think he’s an albatross and that ETH has been desperately trying to get him into some kind of form so that he can be of use. A completely out of form Ronaldo that has to sit on the bench becomes a massive distraction and problem, as we’ve already seen.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We scored more goals, quite a lot more in fact, in 2002 and 2003, so that makes Rooney what exactly? :confused:

I’m not sure you should get into law if you rest your case on something so weak.
Well hardly the same thing that though given we were class before Rooney signed. In fact we went for youth in Rooney n Ronaldo so we went backwards to go forwards.

Ladron de redcafe

Well hardly the same thing that though given we were class before Rooney signed. In fact we went for youth in Rooney n Ronaldo so we went backwards to go forwards.
It was a really daft example for many reasons. For one, United's best player (Van Nistrelrooy) only played 17 league matches and was plagued with injury problems all year long. More importantly, United were undergoing a transition.

More recently, we have seen Juventus' goals dry up from 2017-18 to 2018-19 (as well as a decline in team performance) and we have seen United's goals dry up with an even more start difference in performance (2nd place with the lowest points differential to 1st place since Ferguson retired, to the worst finish in the Premier League era overnight).

Foxbatt

It's a lot more complicated I think. Ronaldo survive in a team that creates loads of chances for him. He has lost his pace and quick feet. He takes ages to line up his shot now. None of our forwards bar Antony can pass well or hold the ball. Yes I know that Martial can but he is injured and Antony as well. For that matter neither Bruno nor Eriksen is good at holding the ball.
He has completely lost his confidence and touch too.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, I believe something like this to be the case.

Nar, ETH aint the type to go along with that, he’d walk.
I think he’s an albatross and that ETH has been desperately trying to get him into some kind of form so that he can be of use. A completely out of form Ronaldo that has to sit on the bench becomes a massive distraction and problem, as we’ve already seen.
Well I accept the point, but he hasn't has he.

I think ETH has realised that he can get top-4 (just) mainly because Chelsea, Spurs and especially Liverpool are poor this season (Newcastle might be a problem) and next season he won't have the Ronaldo circus to worry about.

At the end of the day if the Glazer fella wants Ronaldo to play he will have to play. ETH isn't going to walk away - if Ronaldo's lack of form does stop him achieving top-4, the manager will get sacked and walk away with 6-8 million pounds. If he strops off now, he would get nothing.

Reactions: oates

jem

Here’s a question: given how shit Ronaldo has been, could Arnautovic have actually been a decent signing after all? I personally think it would’ve still been stupid, but hard to imagine him being any worse than what Ronaldo has been.

mav_9me

Here’s a question: given how shit Ronaldo has been, could Arnautovic have actually been a decent signing after all? I personally think it would’ve still been stupid, but hard to imagine him being any worse than what Ronaldo has been.
There is no doubt in my mind he would have been better than Ronaldo. I'd take Neil effing Maupay over Ronaldo. I'd take every other PL teams striker over Ronaldo (except Nottingham Forest, cuz I don't know their striker)

croadyman

There is no doubt in my mind he would have been better than Ronaldo. I'd take Neil effing Maupay over Ronaldo. I'd take every other PL teams striker over Ronaldo (except Nottingham Forest, cuz I don't know their striker)
Arnautovic has himself to blame for previous misdemeanours,if that hadn't happened he would have joined last summer.

Himannv

I don't see anything unusual about him not pressing or being not dynamic enough off the ball - he didn't do a whole lot of that even at his peak. What I'm more concerned about is his finishing. These days he misses chances that I'd expect him to put away in his sleep and that's costing us important points.

croadyman

I don't see anything unusual about him not pressing or being not dynamic enough off the ball - he didn't do a whole lot of that even at his peak. What I'm more concerned about is his finishing. These days he misses chances that I'd expect him to put away in his sleep and that's costing us important points.
Everything you are saying is spot on,the trouble is Luckhurst's tweets suggest we won't be buying in January which is depressing

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
More recently, we have seen Juventus' goals dry up from 2017-18 to 2018-19 (as well as a decline in team performance)
Not a good idea to use Juventus as example, as their goals/performance has dried up/decline even more since the start of 2021-22 and up to this season. It’s more of a collective decline and they are just getting worst and worst.

The_Order

He's done out here.

Looks like he's running through molasses.

Easily shrugged off the ball or goes down at the slightest shrug.

ZERO movement off the ball.

We're essentially a man down with him on the pitch.

His stans in the media and online won't hear it though.

I respect him for coming to. The prem at such a late age, he could have gone somewhere easy. But last season was his Swan song.

Himannv

Everything you are saying is spot on,the trouble is Luckhurst's tweets suggest we won't be buying in January which is depressing
The January market is not a good one to make big signings though. I think it's ideal for a temporary loan or someone under the radar. So I think we'd have to wait till Summer anyway. In the meantime, we'll have to hope that Martial stays fit and we can use Rashford as well. Having said all that, ETH has to make a call on the starting XI.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The World Cup will tell us a lot, either he carries on not being able to finish, then yes he is done, or he gets that finishing touch back into his game and the confidence comes flooding back.

sugar_kane

I'm off to the game tonight, if he starts I'm fecking going home - already had to sit through the shit-fests of Real Sociedad and Omonia.

Adam McNeill

I'm off to the game tonight, if he starts I'm fecking going home - already had to sit through the shit-fests of Real Sociedad and Omonia.
Try not to let one player get to you SK, not worth sacrificing your time over him :)

Hopefully we can find some form again and you enjoy the game <3

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It was a really daft example for many reasons. For one, United's best player (Van Nistrelrooy) only played 17 league matches and was plagued with injury problems all year long. More importantly, United were undergoing a transition.

More recently, we have seen Juventus' goals dry up from 2017-18 to 2018-19 (as well as a decline in team performance) and we have seen United's goals dry up with an even more start difference in performance (2nd place with the lowest points differential to 1st place since Ferguson retired, to the worst finish in the Premier League era overnight).
We literally went from scoring 121 goals all competition the season prior to only scoring 70 goals the season Ronaldo arrived. We dropped 51 goals, that's absurd.

Whoever pushes this narrative about Ronaldo helping the team is out of their goddamn mind. He is the definition of detrimental to the team.

This season our goal stats close to triple sans Ronaldo. He is absolutely terrible for this team, weighting us down and holding us back.

b82REZ

Ronaldo is clearly struggling at the moment.

Yes, some of that is his age and declining abilities compared to the amazing player he was in his prime. But I definitely think he'd still be finishing more of these chances, and would be on a much higher goal tally, were it not for missing pre-season (whatever the reasons behind that) and so playing catch up physically on everyone else, and as a consequence struggling, beginning to lose confidence and start to snatch at chances, as a consequence missing even more and losing more confidence in front of goal, etc.

it's a vicious circle when a sports player is struggling for form. You hear them say it all the time. You get into that spiral and it's tough to get out of it as you get more desperate rather than just calmly thinking it'll turn around if you keep doing the right things.

I know many disliked him even when he was in his prime, and so are loving (and have had to wait a long, long time!) to see him now struggling for form. And, because of his actions since the summer, it's easy to say out of hatred 'he's finished' while his form is poor. But he's reinvented himself numerous times as a player - as a raw tricky winger who creates, to a wide striker who scores ludicrous numbers, to an all round #9 who scores even crazier numbers, to an aging #9 who still has very clever movement in and around the box and good finishing ability. That latter player is still there, but the lack of a pre-season has meant a poor start that he's now struggling to get out of.

Hopefully, next season, we'll add a younger #9, whose also more reliable in terms of finishing and fitness than we currently have in the squad. But, this season, I'm sure with a usual pre-season, Ronaldo could well have provided another 15-25 goal return helping finish off the chances he's uncharacteristically missing due to an initial lack of match sharpness, and now rare lack of confidence in his finishing.
:rolleyes:

hammerfadl

I think he is finished, and it's sad to see.

It's his worst year in a long time in terms of goals. While the last few years he has hit the target about 30-40% of the time, this year he's barely above 20%. Looking at the last 6 years of stats on fbref he has never attempted fewer passes. The passes has never been shorter or less progressive. The number of passes blocked by opponent have never been higher. He's creating half as many shooting opportunities for his teammates than what he did at Juventus and for the first year ever he hasn't created a single shooting opportunity from a dribble. While his dribbling success has been at or around 60% for the last 5 years, this year its at 30%. Add to that the lowest amount of blocks, tackles, interceptions, touches on the ball and being on the receiving end of teammates passes in the last 6 years. He's also never made more fouls and since his days in Madrid he's never been more in offside.

It looks like his legs are gone.

b82REZ

Insightful reply.

The kind that does so much to encourage debate and new posters on here. :)
If the new posters post the nonsense you've just posted I'll do whatever I can to dissuade them.

This decline was evident last year, but there are still people, like you, looking to find excuses to pardon his downright awful performances and impact on the squad.

As with most people who are pro-Ronaldo you have to start accusing people of being haters or some other childish name to justify, in your mind, why he's being criticized. He's being criticized because of his performances. That doesn't take away what he has achieved with us in the past, the same way it didn't with Ole. However it is so reductive and ruins debate (something you seem to think is important, hence your facetious reply to me) as points are never discussed in good faith and often, as you've displayed, descend into nonsensical, intangible things or rewriting of history.

If a lack of preseason is the reason for his form (it isn't); that's entirely on him. No-one forced him to miss the tour. If anything the club were supportive, and he still spent the rest of the summer trying to force a move away.

When he eventually gets to leave and joins some lower CL team in a slower league, you may see a slight upturn in his personal stats. However whichever team is unfortunate enough to end up with him will also see a huge drop off elsewhere as the team have to accommodate him.

AlPistacho

I agree. ETH clearly didn’t see him as a starter. We play well Vs Spurs, Chelsea, (I’ll also add Newcastle regardless of what people say) then you have Keane putting Ronaldo above the club, Yorke talking about “Ronaldo told me things that the board would pay me £5m to not repeat”. And all of a sudden Ronaldo is starting and we’re back to DDG being our MOTM or saviour most weeks, and football quality deteriorating. It really doesn’t take a genius to see that he ruins the whole rhythm of the team.

Being made captain was just the pathetic appeasement of bad behaviour and being past it that we used to see before ETH arrived. So makes you wonder do the board interfer to protect “marketable” players

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
We literally went from scoring 121 goals all competition the season prior to only scoring 70 goals the season Ronaldo arrived. We dropped 51 goals, that's absurd.

Whoever pushes this narrative about Ronaldo helping the team is out of their goddamn mind. He is the definition of detrimental to the team.

This season our goal stats close to triple sans Ronaldo. He is absolutely terrible for this team, weighting us down and holding us back.
I read this a lot on here, but still nobody criticises the ex-manager/club-ambassador/associate director/Glazers 'yes-man' and now think-tank supremo, who brought him back to the club.

Why is this?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Saw a clip pop up earlier of him during his later Madrid days and his physique has totally changed to what it is now. He looks a lot more skinnier and frail and is really noticable, lost all strength and his reactions also seem shot.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I read this a lot on here, but still nobody criticises the ex-manager/club-ambassador/associate director/Glazers 'yes-man' and now think-tank supremo, who brought him back to the club.

Why is this?
I think a lot do. Essentially we were the only ones to take him on his massive wages at his age. Dunno if City would gone ahead with it.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I think a lot do. Essentially we were the only ones to take him on his massive wages at his age. Dunno if City would gone ahead with it.
I have read and half-believe conspiracy theories to suggest City were never seriously interested in Ronaldo, but they knew to even hint at signing him would force United into action - wasting a ton of money and messing up the team for a year or two.

Sadly, that is how its turning out.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I have read and half-believe conspiracy theories to suggest City were never seriously interested in Ronaldo, but they knew to even hint at signing him would force United into action - wasting a ton of money and messing up the team for a year or two.

Sadly, that is how its turning out.
Sanchez, Fred and now Ronaldo. Works well.

AlPistacho

Saw a clip pop up earlier of him during his later Madrid days and his physique has totally changed to what it is now. He looks a lot more skinnier and frail and is really notcicable, lost all strength and his reactions also seem shot.
Wonder why? Strength and size shouldn’t normally decrease at his age if someone sticks at weights, can usually increase still if they increase volume. Look at many ex pros Rio & Jenas come to mind, also think Shearer might have more muscle mass now than he did when younger.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Wonder why? Strength and size shouldn’t normally decrease at his age if someone sticks at weights, can usually increase still if they increase volume. Look at many ex pros Rio & Jenas come to mind, also think Shearer might have more muscle mass now than he did when younger.
Really difficult to say, maybe can't do the same level of strength training anymore? People often forget he also lost a child not too long ago and we have no idea how that would have impacted him mentally.

AlPistacho

Really difficult to say, maybe can't do the same level of strength training anymore? People often forget he also lost a child not too long ago and we have no idea how that would have impacted him mentally.
Good point about the loss of the child. We hear it, say how awful it is and then get on with our lives. While these things effect the people effected for life

Corey

Ronaldo stated at the end of his Madrid days that he was deliberately slimming down to prolong his career. Presumably to maintain some speed and agility as he aged. It may have worked for a while but now he’s sadly lost his pace , agility and his strength.

Swordsman

Ronaldo stated at the end of his Madrid days that he was deliberately slimming down to prolong his career. Presumably to maintain some speed and agility as he aged. It may have worked for a while but now he’s sadly lost his pace , agility and his strength.
his physical peak is at 32 before declining ?

croadyman

Absolutely certain there will be no business in January unless he is sold which looks unlikely

Foxbatt

He is getting in the right positions but he is snatching his shots. Shots you can bet your house that he was going to score. He is taking an extra touch and giving the defenders the extra time to block. I think he is going to have a decent WC and it's good for us if he has a good WC if he is going to stay until the end of the season.