Do you ever wonder what training is like?

Lewnited

In general I find it weird how we still have so many players in our starting XI that play in such a gambling, low percentage kind of way. We have:
  • Bruno hitting hollywood passes directly to the opposition
  • Casemiro charging into a tackle only to get bypassed by a small feint
  • Rashford dribbling into three players and losing the ball
  • Antony cutting in and launching a shot high and wide
  • Dalot playing a square pass in the middle of the pitch to no one
These are repeat mistakes that you wouldnt be surprised to see twice, or even three times within a match.

I feel that if we're going to go anywhere, we need to start seeing these habits change through the season. You can be an exciting, high-intensity transition team without having players making insanely low probability decisons multiple times per match.

Last edited:

Zed is not dead

True but after more than a year with the squad there shouldn't be a need to go massively heavy on set up and tactics. If you haven't got it through to your players by then I don't think you ever will.
In theory yes We shouldn’t need this long.
But it was a full year with
- a world cup in the middle of the season
- late stages in every competition we played.

We were the team to play the most games last season across european league. It doesn’t surprise me that we’re not tactically fully drilled or that we’re suffering so many injuries right now.

The only thing I’d hold against the manager was that he didn’t seem to push for a pre-season more focused on football imperatives rather than commercial.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Dalot plays Martial in with an impressive cross field pass, except that Martial isn't on the same team as him. Martial doesn't collect the pass because he isn't actually there, but then it comes to Rashford because Lindelof runs away from it for no reason. Rashford runs into Lindelof who clears the ball straight back to Rashford, who shoots it back into Lindelof, causing Varane to pick up an injury. Mctominay picks up the loose ball amd scores except it counts as a goal for Scotland. The training session ends 0-0 after Antony attempts to use his right foot and kicks the only remaining ball into the neighbour's garden.

Van Der Beek is an unused sub.

Von Mistelroum

I mean judging by the games, I'd hazard a guess that training is a crazy mess of players just doing whatever they feel like.

I imagine Rashford is someone who can look ok against his team mates who won't want to risk injury or put on too much pressure, I can't see any other way he could keep getting picked for a PL side, let alone United.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Coaches shouting gibberish at players "Hoobla hoobla, go kick, run, fast fast fast, score goal. Yessshh good do it again, hoobla hoobla".

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can poor training be the fault of ten Hag?

What was he doing at Ajax, having a smoke and a pancake with the lads?

OleGunnar20

Two most popular boys pick teams. Best you can hope you end up somewhere respectable, not at the end with McTom and the kid with the 1000 yard stare.

redzombie

sometimes wonder if other clubs have their players making as many silly videos for the club tv channel and modelling for the shop as much as ours do

68cob

I bet they have great fun in training, but for several years now, I've thought the players looked shocked that on game day, the opposition are actually competing.

Litch

Nope, just have a look game time and it will tell you....

Lost bear

it’s just ten hag constantly trying to get them to have saunas. “rashy, notish how you mishcontolled that chance v copenhagen? probably jusht a little tenshe. quick shauna, maybe?”
Share a shauna with the Dutch Master, perhaps?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I just have this image of Hannibal running around hacking everyone.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
sometimes wonder if other clubs have their players making as many silly videos for the club tv channel and modelling for the shop as much as ours do
That really grinds my gears to see them all happy and smiling in promo pics when they have just lost.

Yakuza_devils

Players can't train too late nowadays as there will be complain of them going back in the dark.

United Hobbit

I'd like to see them being beasted on the Brecon Beacons. Probably wouldn't do them any good but I'd just like to see it
:lol: get the DS from SAS who dares wins on the coaching staff. Might help them learn more about being team players too....

Rodgerzzz

This has crossed my mind aswell. All the marketing stuff must get in the way of the players time to some degree.

You could just imagine Erik demanding a couple of extra sessions out of the players only to be slapped down by the marketing execs because there's an important photo shoot for a new office supply company we've partnered with.

rooneyberbatov

The players are ridiculously slow, out of pace. All the teams we’ve faced so far easily outrun us. I doubt it’s an attitude issue.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Well you wouldn't know, having not been inside any of these facilities.
Well I've been inside Old Trafford recently, and it's hardly state-of-the-art. It's gone from being a stadium that was fit to host the Champions League final in 2003, to a stadium with a leaking roof and horrid facilities. Somehow I doubt Carrington has become state-of-the-art whilst Old Trafford has been neglected. But hey - maybe you're right and the Glazers have invested a shit ton of money to make Carrington rival City's training complex whilst simultaneously not spending a penny of their own money on the stadium.

ManUCanFan

Have no clue. Whenever I see us play, it seems very rigid. Today of all games, in particular the first half, reminded of LVG's style of play.

Feels like the players are being given a lot of instructions and only a few can cope with it. That's why I think he probably keeps Antony in the team, he seems like a player from a tactical point of view who understands exactly everything he needs to do. A lot of the other players can look clueless at times.

Again, not exactly sure but it feels like whatever we are doing is going to waste, especially when we look the most threatening on the counter-attack/in transitions, which is what the players are used to already.
I think you nailed it on the head...players are overwhelmed with instructions...they are trying to 3 things at the same time, it comes off wrong...

For the people saying they are walking - is it possible that they work them "too hard" in practice, hence, they have nothing left for games & maybe the cause of so many injuries

These lads are pros...those other teams simply have a more consistant starting XI - that's all!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Dalot plays Martial in with an impressive cross field pass, except that Martial isn't on the same team as him. Martial doesn't collect the pass because he isn't actually there, but then it comes to Rashford because Lindelof runs away from it for no reason. Rashford runs into Lindelof who clears the ball straight back to Rashford, who shoots it back into Lindelof, causing Varane to pick up an injury. Mctominay picks up the loose ball amd scores except it counts as a goal for Scotland. The training session ends 0-0 after Antony attempts to use his right foot and kicks the only remaining ball into the neighbour's garden.

Van Der Beek is an unused sub.
:lol: