Do you like United as much as you used to?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I really don't get this thread at all. Supporting United isn't something I really have any choice over. Win, lose or draw and be it in the Premier League or Conference league, I support United, always have and always will. The only thing that will ever change (and has done before) is the amount of time I can devote to following the club and level of commitment I can give to supporting the club. But the one thing that will never change is that I support Manchester United. It's an unconditional love.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Still love United as much as always.

I don't go watch them live anymore though, just too much money for the day and I generally don't care about football as much as I used to. I used to watch every game on Sky, these days I'll watch a few of the big games and thats it.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I really don't get this thread at all. Supporting United isn't something I really have any choice over. Win, lose or draw and be it in the Premier League or Conference league, I support United, always have and always will. The only thing that will ever change (and has done before) is the amount of time I can devote to following the club and level of commitment I can give to supporting the club. But the one thing that will never change is that I support Manchester United. It's an unconditional love.
The thread is pretty much about the highlighted part.

Either that or the OP is trying to make a run for it to join another team and is looking for people to take with him :smirk:.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
You either love 100% or you don't. You can have options about this and that but I cannot image what does it mean to love it less.

I'm not as in love with Football as I used to be. My love for the game dwindled around 2010 I think. I'm more in to the NFL now, as I think its a more honest game. I still love United and watch every game without fail, but I don't get as upset as I used to if we lose etc. That could also have something to do with getting older too.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I'm not as in love with Football as I used to be. My love for the game dwindled around 2010 I think. I'm more in to the NFL now, as I think its a more honest game. I still love United and watch every game without fail, but I don't get as upset as I used to if we lose etc. That could also have something to do with getting older too.
More Honest? Didn't one of your guys win the Superbowl with balloons this year?
You know i had to do this to you AC

mark_a

Not sure I get the question really. I like United as much, if not more than before. Now I've got a long history of liking them as well, on everything else. Love gets deeper. Sure, you have mixed feelings about some changes (the club specifically or football in general) but you have to be sensible about those & realize football has always changed & moved on.

What I loved about United when I was young was that there was the irish representation in the team. Irwin and Keane throughout the 90s and O'Shea in the 00s; it validated my reasons for supporting United from across the water.

I still love United the club but there is that one connection that has been severed.
Was the same for me, but with Norwegians. Solskjær, Berg, Johnsen, Nevland (even though he wasn't good. Great guy, met him a few times). Was a bit sad when the younger contingent left as well, Eikrem, King, Dæhli. Well, United can't be blamed for the fact that we just seem incompetent at bringing up good players these days.

Would have been great with Ødegaard, though...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
My love has decreased and when I think about it there are multiple reasons.
1) SAF retiring was a big shock to me and millions of fans
2) Man Utd not playing exciting football for a while (it did start under SAF and it got worse). I have realized that I flick channels many times during matches, these last 2 years, something I would never have done when I was younger.
3) I loved Cantona and Evra, both frenchmen and characters in their own way. I miss a french lunatic in the current team, Morgan seems way too "polite".

Ringo 07

Utd have actually only spent around 8 million net this summer when you factor in money coming in from the likes of Rafael, Di Maria, RVP, Nani etc.....Van Gaal has had a blinder during this transfer window (world cup winning captain and worlds most exciting kid) but such was the mess that the team was in from the Moyes era that we needed a complete squad overhaul......

When your only tactic against the very bottom club Fulham in the league in 2014 is to lump a record 82 crosses into the box and not score from a single cross then you know that a lot of fans are going to fall out of love with the club very quickly...But I have no doubt that Van Gaal is taking us in the right direction and the joy I felt with the 2 goals from Memphis the other night was a joy I haven't felt in a long time as a Utd fan....We haven't had an exciting kid like that come through since Cristiano. I think Utd are slowly becoming an exciting team to watch again despite Van Gaals methods being a lot more cautious than Fergie's. People keep saying we're not creating chances but I've seen some moments of lovely football this season watching utd

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Same as it always has been... though I don't beat myself up over United losing as much as I used to do when I was younger.

Levi

I'd ask the OP if he likes Dortmund as much as he used to? Did he like Dortmund when went from winning the European Cup and having class players like Sammer and Moller to being a bit average, before recovering under Klopp?
Yes, nothing changed for me, in a way I liked the horrible seasons between 2003/04 and 2007/08 more than the late 90's when it was all about spending money, even though winning the CL was unexpected. But I think it's not comparable to the situation at Utd, because the club was in a way unique because of SAF and the many homegrown and wellfitting players. At least this is why I like(d) ManUtd.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
United and football are a part of life now.

I started watching United/Club Football from 1998. I was 13 then. I grew up as a United fan, who was used to United being the best in England, without doubt. I used to wonder how I will handle things when United are not winning "all the time". A draw or loss for United, led to me getting stick at school from friends(even the United fans would laugh at me). I used to dread the idea of United not picking the EPL trophy at least once every two seasons. I don't think I have even been more bitter about losing the EPL than I was when Arsenal won it in 2002(hate Wiltord's face). I have now grown up to handle it better. It's a part of football, I can handle lack of success much better. It was tough for me, cause I grew up as a football fan seeing United winning crazy number of trophies. I am pleasantly surprised at the way I handled City winning the league, 'Pool almost winning it, us coming 7th and having a season of UCL without us in it. I feel I can handle anything now, not sure about relegation though, with no United in the EPL, I don't know what life will be like. I am pretty sure, I still love United. Even more that I used to. I feel more like a part of the whole thing. I went to OT for the first time last season, home loss to West Brom(did not see us score at OT on my first visit :-( ), can't wait to go again. I love United now, even more than I used to, it just keeps growing. United is like family, you don't have a choice.

From the age of 13 to 30. A lot has changed in my life. I moved to the US(from India) then moved back. I have moved cities within India. A lot has changed. My friends have changed, my TVs have changed, I will be married in a year. The amount of time that I spend on United, varies, but it's not due to our rankings or the quality of football, it varies cause of other variables in life. When I was doing my master's in the US, the time zone din't suit me, I had coursework, part-time jobs and a girl(living in India) whom I was trying to woo, so used to be on the phone a lot. I did not get that much time to watch football and read through the caf. Yet, I must have watch at least 80 percent of the matches, live(this was during the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons). But now, I have a stable job , a fixed job, flexible hours and free weekends. I watch everything, read through the caf all the bloody time. I don't see this changing, I guess the next new variable will be if and when I have kids. I know that things will settle down again after that. What I am trying to say is that, I don't think there will be a time when I will stop following or watching United. It's not a choice I will make nor will I be making a conscious effort for the same, it's just that I will end up(subconsciously) basing my life and schedules around football and United. That's how it is.

It all started with an article about Beckham's red card in 98 world cup that I read in a weekly news magazine in India. That, Fifa 98 and UCL '98-99 Semi Final Home leg replay on TV :-)

Get In Scholesy

Absolutely love United more and more since the first day. However, when I was younger I used to organize my entire day around Man United related activities (Matches, Press Conferences, Youth games, pre season etc.) But now as I am growing older I am becoming from flexible, still don't miss a match though.

The love for United is still there. However, I am growing rather displeased with modern day football.

hubbuh

Not even remotely.

I find myself caring less and less. There's something unlikable about the club in general/fans lately. And no, it doesn't have anything to do with "tradition", "the United way" or spending.
What does that even mean? Are the fans significantly worse than those any other teams?

Kopral Jono

Pretty much this.

Jagga7

I think it's going to be the same for most football fans. You choose a club as a kid for whatever reasons, you strike a special affinity with them and then they will forever be with you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I care a lot more now, when Fergie was the coach I wasn't worried or interested by our results because we were always winning. But now it's different I'm a lot more involved.

fallengt

What not to like ?
I understand OP's concern. the whole transition process post Fergie-era was a joke but seriously though, when we're back on track, those good days will return.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Another NFL fan! Fantastic. For me what the NFL has that football doesn't is excitement pretty much all the time. Points don't have to be scored for it to be exciting. There could be a big play or a huge table or a sack. I know the start stop nature is a problem for people but you get used to it. Plus come Support the Philadelphia eagles... We are advertisings worst nightmare as when we have the ball we move at such a pace they can't go to an ad break!

Modern day football seems to be getting left behind. They won't embrace technology and I understand the purists argument on that but it still needs bringing in to the 21st century.

For example, wouldn't soccer Saturday be so much better if you got live action and really up to date highlights? Where you could maybe follow one team or just bounce around the grounds watching various different clips and focusing on exciting games.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Sometimes I miss Fergie and the old times, but him retiring hasn't affected my love and passion for the club at all.

Another NFL fan! Fantastic. For me what the NFL has that football doesn't is excitement pretty much all the time. Points don't have to be scored for it to be exciting. There could be a big play or a huge table or a sack. I know the start stop nature is a problem for people but you get used to it. Plus come Support the Philadelphia eagles... We are advertisings worst nightmare as when we have the ball we move at such a pace they can't go to an ad break!

Modern day football seems to be getting left behind. They won't embrace technology and I understand the purists argument on that but it still needs bringing in to the 21st century.

For example, wouldn't soccer Saturday be so much better if you got live action and really up to date highlights? Where you could maybe follow one team or just bounce around the grounds watching various different clips and focusing on exciting games.
What I love about it is you can be 40 pts ahead with one quarter to play and still lose.

I think Sky are screwing up football too. I mean, why do I have to pay £30 a month just to watch United maybe 10 times a year? It's about time they had a streaming service where you can buy different season packages. Say, £150 a year to watch all of your team's games or say, £250 to watch every game. The NFL are way ahead in this.

Hed Zitin

I've become quite less enthused about all football in all honesty. I know full well you can't win anymore with local players, even academy players and you have to buy to win now to the point squad players have to be internationals.

I liked having the local lads. I've grown up with them. They are gone and it's not the same. I don't really have any fondness for our players now. None of them are fans of the club playing for us. There isn't a Ole, Evra or Rafael that fell in love with the club and got what it's about. They are just pieces on a chess board in all honesty.

It's become more apparent foreign players want to live in London before Manchester. It's sad they have to be persuaded by stupid wages. I look at our wage bill and think who's a mercenary?

It's all a bit soulless.

TBH I just watch because I support the club. It's a bit robotic.

Quite nice to vent that.

I've become quite less enthused about all football in all honesty. I know full well you can't win anymore with local players, even academy players and you have to buy to win now to the point squad players have to be internationals.

I liked having the local lads. I've grown up with them. They are gone and it's not the same. I don't really have any fondness for our players now. None of them are fans of the club playing for us. There isn't a Ole, Evra or Rafael that fell in love with the club and got what it's about. They are just pieces on a chess board in all honesty.

It's become more apparent foreign players want to live in London before Manchester. It's sad they have to be persuaded by stupid wages. I look at our wage bill and think who's a mercenary?

It's all a bit soulless.

TBH I just watch because I support the club. It's a bit robotic.

Quite nice to vent that.
This.

pacifictheme

I like the players less and less every year. I don't really like any of our current players that much. I dislike the owners. I don't have much time for all the "fans" / tourists you get at OT these days buying half and half scarves and sitting in silence and leaving five minutes before the end to beat the traffic (i reckon over 15000 people missed the 3rd on Tuesday night).

But i think i love the club more than ever. If i could afford a season ticket and justify it to the mrs i would be there every game.

Blue always red

Yes, but I don't follow them as religiously as I used to. Dedicated my entire Sat/Sun/Tue/Wed to pre-match, match and post match. Now I'll just pop down at half 7 and watch it in the pub/mates.

SSSSnake

My feelings towards the club haven't changed. I love them like my own. The only issue i find is that with BT Sport taking some of the games i don't get to watch them as much. My only wish is to go back to the type of attacking football we were famous for. The football in the last 3 seasons have been a bore and i've fallen asleep watching us play on 2 occasions.

Born2Lose

I often feel that I don't care as much, but on Tuesday I was celebrating like a nutter when Memphis equalised!

mark_a

Wow, some spoilt, fickle responses on here! I suspect people who would probably not support United had they not arrived during the SAF years. Shocking stuff. Why don't you hop over to support City now?

If you can't stick by your team during leaner times, then you don't deserve the good times.

Brightonian

Weird thread. Ok, if we're your 'second team' or whatever then I suppose interest might wax and wane, but my support for United has nothing to do with what's actually happening at the club. There are no gradations of 'how much I like United'. I just do, all the time, 100%.

That said, I was rewatching the Brugge game yesterday and I realised that I haven't felt as invested in a squad of players as this since the 2008(-2011ish) vintage. So many of our recent signings are players I really, really wanted in a United shirt (Mata, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Darmian) or who have just 100% won me over (Blind, Herrera). There's a real sense that kids from our academy are going to come through and be a part of this team (Januzaj's there already, Pereira and Wilson will surely follow). And it's such a joy to watch someone like Smalling becoming world class. There was just a sense in that game that this team works, that it has the right ingredients and that they all fit together. Watching the game live with the old man, I just found myself saying 'feck, he's so good' about most of our players, over and over again.

So yeah, I'm just as slavish a United fan as ever, but I've got to say I'm particularly enjoying being one at the moment.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i'll always be mad passionate about united, i know everything about them, i work, live, breathe them. i still get the same buzz seeing them run out on to the pitch in that famous blue kit. the fans belting out glory, glory man united as my favourite players run about the pitch like madmen and slay all foes that dare oppose them.

andre cole, allan smithe, just failing to qualify for the world championships. that time timmy bowe ran down the wing the wrong way and crossed for their striker to score. good times.

but there were also the bad times. moise taking over from sir matt ferguson and immediately selling rooney before buying him back at an inflated contract. the alex ferguson being stolen and turned into a michael jackson statue at fulham. i love man united.

Acole9

Outstanding
My feelings are exactly the same from when I first started supporting the club. Only difference now is the expectations are much lower.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
My passion for United is the same as ever, but my passion for PL football is fading. This is because I consider what Chelsea & Man City have done (the vast spending of money unearned from footballing success and endeavour) to be cheating, so I don't believe there's a level playing-field as regards competition anymore.