Do you read anything into pre-season results?

Skills

Snitch
Or performances, rather?

I'm not really sure, what side of the fence I'm on. The way pre-season games are with wholesale changes half way through, everyone trying to get fit but also trying not to get injured means that its hard to really put any value on what you're seeing.

But at the same time, form/momentum is quite important. Does a string of bad pre-season performances, suck a little momentum out of the start of your season?

Where do people sit on this?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Truth to be told no. I remember Van Gaal preseason where Ashley Young turned into a beast and we won all games including vs Barcelona. They didn't matter. Not long after the season started we lost 5-1 to Midgetland (or was it MKDons?? I forgot but we lost by a big margin) with Di Maria and Rooney in the side. Even the performances can't be relied upon. Players are obviously still in holiday mood and some players can look really bad when they don't try.

Dan_F

Truth to be told no. I remember Van Gaal preseason where Ashley Young turned into a beast and we won all games including vs Barcelona. They didn't matter. Not long after the season started we lost 5-1 to Midgetland with Di Maria and Rooney in the side. Even the performances can't be relied upon. Players are obviously still in holiday mood and some players can look really bad when they don't try.
No we didn’t :lol:

Are you thinking of Leicester?

bringbackbebe

Pre-season isn't a predictor for how the actual season will go. Take 2014-15 season for example. We beat Liverpool, Roma, Madrid and this was followed up by 13 points in the first 9 games.

A couple of years back when we played Rooney's Derby, I found us to be absolutely wretched to watch even though we won the game. I think a lot has changed since, the players look more committed, more experiments seem to be tried out and the overall idea is evident. I can't wait for the season to start.

K Stand Knut

Truth to be told no. I remember Van Gaal preseason where Ashley Young turned into a beast and we won all games including vs Barcelona. They didn't matter. Not long after the season started we lost 5-1 to Midgetland (or was it MKDons?? I forgot but we lost by a big margin) with Di Maria and Rooney in the side. Even the performances can't be relied upon. Players are obviously still in holiday mood and some players can look really bad when they don't try.
No we didn’t

AndySmith1990

I've been following United for decades, and seen us have shite preseasons where we've then gone on to win the league, and had great preseasons where we've not won anything. I don't know why people still get that emotional about it and start raving about u21 players, or telling us now Sancho is an experienced false #9 because he's played a few friendlies there.

With that said, it's no coincidence we still look toothless in attack. We're going to be heavily relying on Hojlund to make up for many of our deficiencies in front of goal

littlepeasoup

Nah. Only reason pre-season matches are bigged up so much is for the profit of hosting games in different parts of the world. I'm sure coaches and managers would happily play all pre-season friendlies behind closed doors if they could. I'm also sure players genuinely don't give a toss so long as they're fit for the first game of the season proper.

Castia

It’s all about fitness for me and some new ideas/players implemented by the manager I’m not too fussed about the results

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Genuinely do not care.

Only thing that matters is players getting fit/following the managers instructions.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Good teams win football matches. That being said, I was surprised at how weak the starting lineup was yesterday.

wolvored

Results not really its for fitness, although its a confidence boost for players if they play well, score etc.
Whats worrying is the team not following TH training especially final third. Too many still selfish.

Idxomer

Pre-season isn't a predictor for how the actual season will go. Take 2014-15 season for example. We beat Liverpool, Roma, Madrid and this was followed up by 13 points in the first 9 games.

A couple of years back when we played Rooney's Derby, I found us to be absolutely wretched to watch even though we won the game. I think a lot has changed since, the players look more committed, more experiments seem to be tried out and the overall idea is evident. I can't wait for the season to start.
We lost something like 10 players to injuries after we beat those teams, which affected the start of the campaign.

Smores

Basically if we do well it's important and if we do shite no one cares. That's basically how it's judged on here each season.

Personally I only look for obvious issues and how people are fitting in rather than purely results.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Preseason means nothing. I really don't get why people put any stock into it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
For me, I look towards the tactics and performances of the end of pre-season games to see how we are looking for the beginning of the season. Obviously our opposition also probably have their own good/bad performances in pre season to deal with also, but I think it gives a good indication of where we are heading tactically at least. Like if you were transitioning from a low block type of team to a high pressure, all action team, then you are expecting to see this coming to fruition towards the end of pre season. It's not worth a lot but when you can see the same issues that we have already struggled with, then it's safe to say the may not yet be sorted.

Chipper

Adulterer.
No, not really. I think the old addage is true for a lot of people. If you do well you talk up your team, if you don't it's easy to dismiss pre season but I don't think it matters when it comes down to it.

Personally I don't watch pre season, just look at the scores.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The only things I'm reading into this one are that Mainoo should stay with the first team squad and that Onana is settling in.

More generally? I've seen us have good pre-seasons and then look awful in our opening matches and I've seen the opposite. Preseason is an interesting time, full of hope and mystery and you just have to hope that what's going on in training is the right stuff for the season ahead. But as long as we don't pick up too many injuries I'm not fussed.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

Didn't we bin off loads of the players that did well though?

Vaguely remember Welbeck and even Zaha looking good but they were both gone by the end of the transfer window.

Chairman Steve

It’s nothing but practice and experimentation to me. Even if our best XI played, I’m pretty sure they’re not fully exerting themselves as much as they really could if it was a competitive game. On the other side of that, you’ve got an academy player trying his bollocks off, looking to make a name and putting in a better shift than the senior players to askew the team perception.

Idxomer

The results don't matter but the performances do.

Last season it was clear we have a problem at the base of the midfield and that Martial's injury would have an impact at the start of the campaign.

This season, the attack and midfield don't seem to benefit from a pre-season together. The attack has this problem mostly because of the lack of a striker. The midfield because Casemiro and Bruno only played with Mount for 30 minutes so far, Ten Hag takes some of the blame for that. Rashford's form is also only a slight worry now but could be a headache for Ten Hag in a few weeks with the addition of Hojlund and Garnacho on the bench.

Bwuk

The results don’t matter. They just for teenagers to argue and “banter” each other on Twitter.

Performances do. The lack of a striker has been beyond obvious and worrying all pre season.

Oranges038

It's all about building up fitness levels, the results don't really matter.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They mean nothing. We had great results on tour last year followed by a disastrous PL start.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The scorelines aren't important but you hope to see some good signs in the performances, particularly if we have our best XI out. Creating very little isn't encouraging.

Cloud7

Nope I do not.

We've seen a fair few times in the last decade where we've looked quite good in pre season, and then it amounted to nothing during the season, so I can't say I care too much, whether good or bad.

mshnsh

I don't. Before during the friendlies in the US prior to 03/04 season, we defeated the likes of Barcelona and Juve only to have a terrible season; the worst during Fergusons tenure.

red.knight

I don’t. Its a pre season friendly. We actually played very well and once match sharpness is there and cut all the chopping and changing these little mistakes will start to drop off.

Orange Tree

Result isn't important, but I do expect to see what the manager is trying to build. Midfield still looks off.

Parma Dewol

I've been following United for decades, and seen us have shite preseasons where we've then gone on to win the league, and had great preseasons where we've not won anything.
Spot on. A poor preseason means we’ll have a hugely successful campaign. It’s been proven by science. Fact.

Wheato

I have watched all of the pre-season games and I agree that the full squad had a good work out and many individuals managed to demonstrate their talent, fitness and ability to play in Ten Hags system, against quality opposition. The Wrexham game was more of an exhibition with the under 23's.

My observations are that many of the issues from last season are still evident in this pre-season. The lack of a striker means that in the final third, there is a lack of cohesion. That focal point that the rest of the team aims towards, is missing, and moves often break down when the ideas dry up. In last nights game, Luke Shaw played a lovely ball into the six yard box and nobody attacked it. Nobody was within ten yards of it. Any forward with an eye for goal would be lapping those opportunities up. But I'm not going to get het up about what we already know. What we did learn was the vital stuff we need to focus on before the Wolves game. And I will concede that with Hojlund up top, we will be a different proposition.

The results didn't really matter, as the number of players used in each of the games made the spectacle more of a competitive training session, but with the crowd and the quality opposition, it was an enjoyable test.

Good points.

Onana looks different class, he was taking balls off the defenders and playing through the lines, he even set Bruno up with a one on one with the opposition goal keeper. He plays it first touch, to feet. He is constantly talking to the defence, marshalling and organising. He will make a huge difference this season.

The one touch passing has been impressive, and some passages of play have been excellent. We controlled the procession in the majority of the games. (Albeit with little threat up top)

Nobody in the squad can argue that they didn't get their chance to show the manager what they can do, and I think that Mainoo, Pelistri, Hannibal, Brandon William's, Heaton and Jonny Evans all gave good accounts of themselves.

Dalot seems to be back to the form he had pre-world cup. Was excellent last night.

Shaw and Wan Bissaka playing much further forward, with Onana in goal. Creating overloads in the opposition half.

Antony tracking back and winning the ball.

Stuff that needs more work

Sancho as a false 9. Worked against Arsenal, but his anticipation or runs into space are always too late. He needs be on his bike before the pass is made, not waiting for the pass and then being dispossessed.

The link up play with Bruno and Mason Mount. It's not really there. I think they are still trying to find that understanding. The fact that they both play in the same position means that one has to go forward and one has to drop off and they both looked more effective when they were on their own and not on the pitch at the same time. This will need time, and they only had brief cameos.

Rashford looks rusty. His first touch is way off. I was actually panicking that he was going to do his hamstring last night, because he looked laboured and was pushing himself when the fitness wasn't there.

Casemiro looks overweight and slow. Not up to his standards. We know he needs a run of games to get his form.

Lindlelof and Wan Bissaka gave away goals trying to play out from the back. We know it is a big part of Ten Hag's philiosophy, but they both took the more difficult passes when there was an easier option, and led to Dortmund finding themselves with a run on our goal. Need to address this before the season starts. Trying to thread balls through the middle of the pitch, when there were easier options.

Maguire needs to go. He isn't the required standard, even as a back up option. Playing out from the back is slow, predictable, safe and nervy. He cannot play in Ten Hag's system. To play in the system, you need to want the ball, to pass and move, and to always look for the forward option. When Maguire sees a player closing him down, he panics and goes backwards or sideways. He slows us down.

Donny Van De Beek. It's not happening for him. Whatever it was that he once had, he hasn't found it here. He doesn't even look comfortable playing the one touch stuff that was his DNA during his entire career at Ajax. Which is a head scratcher. He needs to move on now and re-establish his career.