Do you think that Ole can motivate players to play to their potential?

Dve

I'm not sure if motivation is the correct term, instilling self belief is the key. In football ex players often pretend that they are some sort of super heroes but in other sports hall of famers will often say something that is generally true, it's easy to lose confidence and from that point everything becomes more difficult, Scholes himself mentioned it in an interview not so long ago. With some exceptions professional athletes rarely lack motivation but they can lack self belief and belief in their surrounding, that's when the manager and the institution are key it's their job to maintain both of these things at a high level all the time.
I think that´s exactly it. Fotballers (now a days) are not any different from other top athletes, with the inner drive to improve and the love to compete. I think you get used to earning millions.

Hammondo

Yeah. I'm less concerned with his ability to motivate than I am his ability to coach these (or any) players up enough to compete with Guardiola, Klopp, Poch, etc.
We are not competing with them though.

RedDevilRoshi

Just find it absolutely crazy that a Manchester United player needs to be motivated to perform to their full potential and showcase their ability consistently.

Surely playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world is enough to make you motivated to perform at your highest level. That should be a motivation in itself.

If you can’t do that, you shouldn’t be here.

AFC NimbleThumb

Motivating Greizman is A LOT different to motivating Lingard.

We currently have a squad that looks as if it will still be relying on Ashley Young to play important minutes in the fullback position.

My main issue isn’t OgS at this moment, it is the club as we appear to be slow again in getting players out who haven’t figured regularly for some time.

If James is our only attacking addition, no matter how talented, them we are set to underwhelm miserably again.

My expectation is that a number of youngsters need to be permanently promoted for this current transfer strategy to hold any validity.

If Mata is still playing RW while Chong/Greenwood sit on the bench then I’m honestly baffled as to what the plan is.

fastwalker

Just find it absolutely crazy that a Manchester United player needs to be motivated to perform to their full potential and showcase their ability consistently.

Surely playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world is enough to make you motivated to perform at your highest level. That should be a motivation in itself.

If you can’t do that, you shouldn’t be here.
I could not agree more. Your points are well made. But again, you only need to compare the performances of United players with those of City and Liverpool to realise that our players clearly do not see it that way. Whilst I accept that both of those teams have better players than we do, there is absolutely no excuse for the fact that their players ran further, worked harder and appeared to be more committed to their cause than we were to ours. I recall Ole himself saying that the one thing that he could not accept is that any team would work harder than United. Yet in the last couple of months of last season, whilst there was yet still a Champions League spot to play for, that is exactly what happened. Personally, I find that totally unacceptable and a slap in the face of United fans.

I think Ole got a free pass last season as a new manager, because the players he was working with were not his players. I am not sure that United fans would be willing to be as charitable this season, if the same were to occur.

RedDevilRoshi

I could not agree more. Your points are well made. But again, you only need to compare the performances of United players with those of City and Liverpool to realise that our players clearly do not see it that way. Whilst I accept that both of those teams have better players than we do, there is absolutely no excuse for the fact that their players ran further, worked harder and appeared to be more committed to their cause than we were to ours. I recall Ole himself saying that the one thing that he could not accept is that any team would work harder than United. Yet in the last couple of months of last season, whilst there was yet still a Champions League spot to play for, that is exactly what happened. Personally, I find that totally unacceptable and a slap in the face of United fans.

I think Ole got a free pass last season as a new manager, because the players he was working with were not his players. I am not sure that United fans would be willing to be as charitable this season, if the same were to occur.

That just shows you then that the players personally don’t give a f*** about this club or the fans. How they cannot get themselves motivated to play for Manchester United shows you that they don’t deserve to be here in the 1st place. Especially as you said, when they downed their tools at a crucial point of the season when we had a CL place to play for. I’ve personally never felt that should be pinned on Ole that the players aren’t motivated. When you play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, that should be a motivation in itself. If you need a manager to motivate you to play to your very best for Manchester United then as I said - you are at the wrong club.

I remember listening to Roy Keane in the Sky Sports studio before the Manchester Derby at OT last season. What he said about the players at this club, particularly Pogba was 1 billion spot on.

Drainy

Some players yes, some players no.

He's not going to be able to win over some players in my opinion, the obvious ones being Pogba, Martial, Matic & Lukaku for me. They don't fit into the Oleball system so will be really hard to get them to do the hard work to get them there due to a) how far away from their preferred playstyle it is and b) he is not regarded as a top class manager so there is no reason for them to believe it will work.

They should probably be managed out of the club over the next few years.

Reddy Rederson

Not sure what motivation a professional football player needs or should need at a top team. This is what they have wanted their whole lives, to be where they are, to be competing at the top.

I believe ole can inspire, but if a player needs to be motivated they shouldn’t be here, IMO.

Denis79

Not sure what motivation a professional football player needs or should need at a top team. This is what they have wanted their whole lives, to be where they are, to be competing at the top.

I believe ole can inspire, but if a player needs to be motivated they shouldn’t be here, IMO.
I agree with you but we have to remember that most of these players are millionares since their teens, bring on the sticks but they are fragile as snowflakes.

Glideman

Motivating Greizman is A LOT different to motivating Lingard.

We currently have a squad that looks as if it will still be relying on Ashley Young to play important minutes in the fullback position.

My main issue isn’t OgS at this moment, it is the club as we appear to be slow again in getting players out who haven’t figured regularly for some time.

If James is our only attacking addition, no matter how talented, them we are set to underwhelm miserably again.

My expectation is that a number of youngsters need to be permanently promoted for this current transfer strategy to hold any validity.

If Mata is still playing RW while Chong/Greenwood sit on the bench then I’m honestly baffled as to what the plan is.
We're actively trying to sign AWB and clear as day he won't be a starter so why say it?

We're clearly in talks with players, such as Fernandes to name one.

Mata probably won't be here next season.

We're clearly after players but its not Fifa and its going to take a bit of time

Amir

I'm far less worried about motivation stuff than I am about getting the football part right. Basically, players want to succeed, they are motivated to succeed. Get them playing good football, show them that you can make them better players and create a better team, and the rest will follow. Play crap football, do crappy work - players can see right through it - and the motivation will die down along with the atmosphere.

mattsville

You cannot motivate those that don't care so they need to be replaced, there are players with off field distractions and some locked into contracts with high salary, they don't care, Ole is a very intelligent guy and passionate about United, he will have seen this and no doubt will attempt to correct it, next year will be transitional, several players on thin ice, change your attitude or feck off, some will be phased out immediately others given a chance to buck up, but he is no mug, he has his own personality of course but he has seen how ruthless SAF was when he needed to be regardless of the reputation of the player who was problematic. Ideally, with the appointment of Ole, you think the club has realised we have started to lose our values, with LVG and Mourinho it was boring football, over discipline at times and the agenda was about them, not about United, create a positive atmosphere and sign in the right motivated hungry players to thrive in it all the while with the history of Manchester United behind every decision you make.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
The group we have at the moment, limited as they are in terms of quality, are just embarrassing when it comes to putting the required effort in.

So no, I doubt he can, and I won't be blaming him if he can't.

Moriarty

You cannot motivate those that don't care so they need to be replaced, there are players with off field distractions and some locked into contracts with high salary, they don't care, Ole is a very intelligent guy and passionate about United, he will have seen this and no doubt will attempt to correct it, next year will be transitional, several players on thin ice, change your attitude or feck off, some will be phased out immediately others given a chance to buck up, but he is no mug, he has his own personality of course but he has seen how ruthless SAF was when he needed to be regardless of the reputation of the player who was problematic. Ideally, with the appointment of Ole, you think the club has realised we have started to lose our values, with LVG and Mourinho it was boring football, over discipline at times and the agenda was about them, not about United, create a positive atmosphere and sign in the right motivated hungry players to thrive in it all the while with the history of Manchester United behind every decision you make.
Standards have dropped and I imagine Ole thinks back to what the dressing room was like when he was playing and how it compares to what he sees today. The club has changed completely. When Ole was playing, the focus was on winning trophies and being the top team in the country. But then we had a leader whose single-minded pursuit of those goals galvanized the players into winning games.

Now, in 2019, United has become a marketing vehicle, selling itself like a whore to any and all comers with money to spend. Our stadium, once the envy of the league, has starting to fall into decay, our training facilities and academy have been eclipsed by the shiny new Man City model, and we don't have that dedicated leader to whip things into shape.

I have no idea what the plan is. Is it to try and recreate the Ferguson way of doing things when the man was in sole charge of all things football-related? Ole is delegating to and surrounding himself with people from that era but the truth is, nobody in the current inner circle really set the football world on fire once they'd left United. We've tried bringing in other managers, other coaches, and we've tried different systems; none of which have really worked in the long term. So just how do you rejuvenate a club that has come to the end of a long cycle of winning? Moreover, how do you do that under immense pressure with no real infrastructure in place? There's so much that needs fixing at United.

Reddy Rederson

I agree with you but we have to remember that most of these players are millionares since their teens, bring on the sticks but they are fragile as snowflakes.
Then they shouldn’t be here, IMO. Any other successful athlete has an attitude of being the best, even when they aren’t, they have drive to improve. If we allow for the attitude of “I’ve made it, I dont need to try anymore” then it will only fester to the point where we pay for 20 odd social media personalities that also, sometimes, when they can be bothered, play football.

Zen86

The group we have at the moment, limited as they are in terms of quality, are just embarrassing when it comes to putting the required effort in.

So no, I doubt he can, and I won't be blaming him if he can't.
This. I think any manager would struggle to motivate the current squad, long term.

AFC NimbleThumb

We're actively trying to sign AWB and clear as day he won't be a starter so why say it?

We're clearly in talks with players, such as Fernandes to name one.

Mata probably won't be here next season.

We're clearly after players but its not Fifa and its going to take a bit of time
you’ve chosen the wrong person to quote about patience, check my prior posts then go again.

Ashley Young is “club captain” & back up to a left back that is notoriously injury prone & an ‘option’ of experience to 2 [if/when we sign AWB] young full backs. Ashley Young will get game time next season, that in itself is a failing by the club.

Mata has a contract offer, do you think we’ve offered him this as a ‘back up’?

This threads about motivating players not about if we’re after players or not - this is neither FIFA nor FM of that I am abundantly clear.

0161_UNITED

Just watched the documentary Take the ball, Pass the Ball about Barca and in particular Pep’s time there. It was actually a brilliant documentary, if slightly depressing because I remember the batterings they handed out to us in CL finals.

Point is, the film really drove home that it was the philosophy reestablished by Cruyff in 1988 that brought it all together. I certainly hope Ole can bring our philosophy back because I think that will motivate the players.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Currently, there is rightly a huge amount of focus on what might and might not be happening during the transfer window. Who we bring in is massively important, but even more important is what we do with them once they arrive. In football, you can buy talent, skill and experience, but you cannot ever buy application.

It is assumed that players paid tens and sometimes hundreds of thousands of pounds per week will apply themselves as a matter of course. However, in football, the only thing that assumptions get you is the sack. Ultimately, the thing that distinguishes average managers from good managers and good ones from great ones is that ability to get players to apply themselves and perform to and above their potential.

You may say that it is too early to judge Ole's powers of motivation, but don't forget that Ole was United manager for half the 2018/19 season. The fact is that Premier League managers have been sacked in half the time that 'Ole has been at the wheel'.

Can Ole do a Pochettino and turn a £22m Heung-Min Son into an £80m rated midfielder and Spurs into Champion's League finalists; or a Klopp and turn an £8m Andy Robertson into a £80m rated defender and Liverpool into Champion's League winners?

Is Ole a manager that players will revere and respect like Sir Alex, or is he one that players will be inspired by and hold in admiration like Pep? Or is he one that players will love and run through walls for like Klopp? Or is he none of these?

Does Ole have the motivational skills and smarts to turn average talent into good talent and mould good talent into a great team?
YES

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If they can't motivate themselves they shouldn't be here. They aren't the right players for a top club.

Do most of these players look like they hate losing and want to do something about it when they're out on the pitch? Not at all. I've seen more will to win playing 5 a side with my mates.

It's night and day compared to our teams of the 90's and 00s. The likes of Keane, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidc, Rio etc. didn't need SAF to 'motivate' them.

fastwalker

If they can't motivate themselves they shouldn't be here. They aren't the right players for a top club.

Do most of these players look like they hate losing and want to do something about it when they're out on the pitch? Not at all. I've seen more will to win playing 5 a side with my mates.

It's night and day compared to our teams of the 90's and 00s. The likes of Keane, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidc, Rio etc. didn't need SAF to 'motivate' them.
That's a great question.

Gasolin

Who's the Cardiff player that said in an interview that Ole wasn't a great motivator? He may have changed but leadership traits are innate and rarely ever developed later in life. Ole from his interviews comes across as just a really nice bloke. Getting hungry players capable of their own internally generated motivation is the right move if you're Ole
https://www.goal.com/en/news/solskj...-says-former-cardiff/twrsshs1ekl1kyxvtda775a2

Tommy Smith apparently. Not encouraging, but well... I think Ole can do fine.

Greck

I followed Cardiff quite close during Solskjærs spell as a manager and I must admit I do not remember anyone called Tommy Smith, and I see now why. All he got under Ole was two cameos in the league cup. I´m sure he was happy.
His opinion on the matter still holds more credibility than a thousand pundits and fans who never shared a locker room with Ole as manager. We can only project whereas he lived it first hand

Gasolin

His opinion on the matter still holds more credibility than a thousand pundits and fans who never shared a locker room with Ole as manager. We can only project whereas he lived it first hand
I don't think Cardiff players and Manchester United players are comparable, even with this Manchester United. It's like when Maradona was coaching... sometimes, for Maradona, he just told Messi "Just carry the team" but it implied a lot of things tactically and technically, and even the best player in the world at that time could not execute it well so...

Ole has coached Pogba at youth level, he ought to know him. I do think Pogba understands what Ole wants. The question is, how do we setup the team to maximize Pogba's output, and it probably means that we need more creativity from the field from other players. Hopefully, we address that in this summer.

R'hllor

Motivate who, this rotten bunch, backed up with rotten club foundation without vision behind them?

Already said many times, i would burn this whole squad to the ground, at least 90% of them. Bunch of infected pricks, majority of them dont deserve the wages they take, rather see them leech some other club.

Getting new players is pointless as long we have current squad. New guy coming in, he will need few weeks to look before concluding how life is great, being paid, while strolling around, nobody gives a feck, you dont have to run much during a game, you can suck balls performance wise, you will still be picked next week if you play your cards right, pure heaven. When i thought that Sanchez would spread his work ethic aura on training field and the pitch, motherfeckers ate him alive and turned him into one of them in space of 4 games.

People saying how new kid James has a really good work ethic, can already imagine him, doing his thing in first few games and then he looks around while catching a breath seeing how some others picking their noses and scratching balls, slowly spreading their comfort way of doing things.

We missed a chance to set our standards back where they should be, in every sense, not just performance and effort wise. Instead Jones new contract, Young the 50 games captain new contract, etc.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
No, he is not good enough to motive all these players on massive wages who don’t give a feck. Well, some give a feck. Pogba and De Gea, for instance, give a feck about leaving.

The question is, can he motivate a more modest squad of younger players who care about football more than Instagram? At least there’s not a definitive ‘no’ to that for the time being.

Honestly, this period for us is about getting rid of Pogba, De Gea and all those players who think they’re too good to not be playing in the Champions League despite being shit in it. Nobody can motivate those players at this club any longer.

SAFMUTD

There are some hungry players in the squad that can be motivated in order to win silverware, but we have a lot of average players who seem to be delighted just by being on the team.

You can motivate the players but you cant put the hunger in them, most young players can be motivated since they have all their career in front of them. But medium age players or veterans are hard to motivate, specially if they have been average for so long.

When I hear about Pogba and De Gea wanting to leave because we are not challenging you just know they are hungry for success. On the other hand we have a bunch of players full of excuses talking about how they didn’t play the united way and some other bullshit, game after game. They’re all just talk and no action.

We can’t expect players like Lingard, Young, Smalling, Mata, Jones, Rojo, Darmian, etc who have been ok with being shit for all this years to suddenly get hungry for trophies. They have already settled as losers, they will hardly change their mentality.

Keeping this type of players only damages other players mentality, by keeping them we are sending the message that failure it’s acceptable. The winning culture should start from the owners and then translate to the players, winning is everything and we should be reckless, sadly for us we are not and no manager will change that. We need a massive clear out and bring new players who are not contaminated.

Also the fact that Ole is living his dream just by managing us doesn’t help at all.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Nobody can motivate Lingard but himself.

He seems to have his own world.

Ranchero

Ole got the United job after a string of great results and was seen to have apparently got the best out of our players. He was tasked with making prima donna Pogba happy.

Pogba no sooner saw Mourinho out the door, before he was stating publicly that he fancied Real Madrid and now he has said it is time for a new challenge.

That Ole's at the wheel song is going to need some DRASTIC rewriting.

haram

Their potential was fulfilled when they finished 2nd. Up to people to accept it or not.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Their potential was fulfilled when they finished 2nd. Up to people to accept it or not.
I wouldn't disagree, the point though is we finished sixth last time. Ole's job next year is to get us resembling a modern football team, playing with pace and pressing the opposition. If he can do that (a pretty big if) the hope is we'll be in for a better finish in the league and a run at a cup, which would be progress from a pisspoor season in 2018/19.

haram

I wouldn't disagree, the point though is we finished sixth last time. Ole's job next year is to get us resembling a modern football team, playing with pace and pressing the opposition. If he can do that (a pretty big if) the hope is we'll be in for a better finish in the league and a run at a cup, which would be progress from a pisspoor season in 2018/19.
Well if he cant finish above Arsenal and Chelsea who have lost Hazard and have a transfer ban he should be fired into the sun.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Well if he cant finish above Arsenal and Chelsea who have lost Hazard and have a transfer ban he should be fired into the sun.
Maybe :lol: I think the important thing is that our performances will be absolutely key. The relative form/condition of clubs such as Arsenal and Chelsea obviously matters in terms of what we can achieve but scraping past them in the league by playing slightly less dire football than them won't be good enough, we need to see progression in our style of play next year or else Ole will be rightly under the hammer.