Television Documentaries

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

'Bus 174 (Portuguese: Ônibus 174) is a Brazilian documentary film released on October 22, 2002. It is the debut film of director José Padilha and co-director Felipe Lacerda. Sandro do Nascimento, a young man from a poor background, bungled a robbery and ended up holding the passengers on a bus hostage for four hours. The event was caught live on television. The movie examines the incident and what life is like in the slums and favelas of Rio de Janeiro and how the criminal justice system in Brazil treats the lower classes. Within the film, Padilha interviews former and current street children, members of the Rio police force, the highly regarded Rio BOPE police team, family members, and sociologists in order to gain insight about what led Nascimento to carry out the hijacking.'
Watched this last night. It's excellent.

Iron Stove

The Two Escobars was brilliant. About Colombian football and society during the time of Pablo Escobar the druglord and Andrés Escobar who got killed after scoring that own goal at the World Cup in '94. Highly recommended!

Saw 10 minutes of "How Bruce Lee Changed the World", but had to turn it off.. Full of celebrities talking about how Bruce Lee influenced them. I don't give a shit if LL Cool J admired his "catlike" movement.

Red_Jamie

'This is an unedited, yet incredible, interesting documentary portraying Papua New Guinean tribes members meeting a white man for the first time in their life.'

This an an amazing piece of film.

Tribe Meets White Man | DocumentaryStorm - Stream Full Documentaries
Thanks for that. It was genuinely fascinating.
I've just realised the link i put up puts the video in quite a strange order..

Follow this video to see it in the correct one :)

Saliph

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills, and Paradise Lost 2: Revelations. Incredible and shocking docs.

After 18 years in prison, the West Memphis Three were finally released on Friday.

On August 19, 2011, faced with DNA tests that exonerate the men, the prosecutors offered them a plea deal which they plead guilty to lesser charges and be allowed to walk out of prison and maintain their innocence. After weeks of negotiations, Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley agreed to the deal. They were released from prison after Judge David Laser accepted an Alford plea deal, in which the three plead "no contest" to the charges, thereby conceding that prosecutors had sufficient evidence to secure a conviction while reserving the right to assert their innocence. according to the prosecutors, the DNA results would most certainly allow the men the right to a new trial and be subsequently acquitted. Many accused the lead prosecutor of threatening them into pleading guilty in exchange for giving them their freedom and not execute Echols because if the convictions had been vacated, the state would face a multi-million lawsuit. The prosecutor denied these claims. The judge then sentenced them to 18 years and 78 days, the amount of time they had served, and they were given a Suspended Imposition of Sentence for 10 years. If they re-offend they can be sent back to prison for 21 years. As part of the plea deal, they can not pursue civil litigation against any of the police officers or prosecutors involved in their case and they can not make money off their story.

Red Panda

Bulletproof Salesman

I've watched this one several times and I really rate it. It's a German guy who sells bullet 'resistant' vehicles in warzones and in particular in this documentary, Iraq.

Synopsis

Fidelis Cloer is a self-confessed war profiteer. In a career spanning two decades of global turmoil, he has supplied kings, presidents and the odd dictator or two with the finest luxury armoured vehicles that money can buy. In his world, where security is a commodity that can be bought and sold, violence is to sales as the weather is to wheat futures.

Always with an on eye on growth opportunities, Fidelis found The Perfect War when the US invaded Iraq: it wasn’t about selling a dozen cars, or even a hundred, it was a thousand car war where security would become the ultimate product. Driving into Baghdad after it fell to American troops, he remarked, "This is the end of the beginning of the war," and so began his darkly comedic drive down the road to opportunity.

Before the war, when clients were concerned with bullets and not bombs, his sales mantra was "I sell a good feeling": a sense of safety, security and confidence in superior German engineering that came across like a VW commercial gone wrong. But come 2004, and the threat of armour defeating Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), survivability became his sales pitch and he quickly found himself engaged in a pathological arms race with insurgents who upped their explosive ante to defeat his increasingly higher (and more expensive) levels of armour.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Not exactly like the documentaries in this but still worth a watch for some beautiful imagery. Attenborough's no Herzog but he does this well. 'tis the most expensive BBC documentary series ever made.

Seven continents. Five years. A $25 million budget. A total runtime of 530 minutes. 'Planet Earth' is an undertaking so epic in scope and idealistic in intent, that it legitimately earns comparisons to to the grandest Hollywood blockbusters. It's the 'Titanic' of television nature documentaries -- a work of great majesty, high ambition and huge financial risk (after all, this isn't a genre known for generating huge profits). That the BBC agreed to back such an enterprise at all is a kind of small miracle.

First airing as an eleven episode series on the BBC in England late last year (and more recently here in the U.S. on the Discovery Channel) 'Planet Earth' really is huge on every level. The production employed over a dozen of the world's most reknowned nature photographers, sent them out to traverse the globe for over 60 months, capturing the planet's most amazing landscapes and creatures in stunning high-definition. Even the title of the series is ballsy -- you don't name your documentary 'Planet Earth' if you're not aspiring to something monumental.

As an example of "pure cinema," 'Planet Earth' succeeds. It simply captivates our eyes with every frame. How some of these sights were even able to be photographed by humans often boggles the mind. The filmmakers often spent hours -- even days -- attempting to document a single, indelible moment, and the pay-off is often extraordinary. In one of many fantastic moments, a group of baby birds dive off a cliff and take flight for the first time -- such visual images have the energy and excitement of true discovery. It is like witnessing a baby take its first steps, or remembering the first time you tasted ice cream -- 'Planet Earth' is a nature documentary that allows us to revel in the child-like wonder of discovering our world.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Just heard a review of this. Sounds excellent.

The Interrupters (2011) - IMDb

The Interrupters tells the moving and surprising stories of three Violence Interrupters who try to protect their Chicago communities from the violence they once employed. From acclaimed director Steve James and bestselling author Alex Kotlowitz, this film is an unusually intimate journey into the stubborn, persistence of violence in our cities. Shot over the course of a year out of Kartemquin Films, The Interrupters captures a period in Chicago when it became a national symbol for the violence in our cities. During that period, the city was besieged by high-profile incidents, most notably the brutal beating of Derrion Albert, a Chicago High School student, whose death was caught on videotape. The film's main subjects work for an innovative organization, CeaseFire, which believes that the spread of violence mimics the spread of infectious diseases, and so the treatment should be similar: go after the most infected...

Lance Uppercut

Does 'Knuckle' count? Because I watched it last night. I didn't even require the subtitles, but for one fat, geriatric turd.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Historian Michael Wood visits places and interviews experts all over India to cover the great chapters of the subcontinent's long and impressive history. These include the racial make-up and the role and origins of great religions, native like Hinduism and Buddhism as well as imported, notably Islam. As well as state-building and international relations, culminating in colonization and road back to unified (albeit in two states) independence.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
So you've got warez for movies, this for documentaries (cheers Bumdogg, looks good)...what's good for music in terms of non-torrent stuff? Just filestube?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
For anyone who thought this was good...

You HAVE to see this...

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.

I'm just over half way through the Ayrton Senna documentary and it's absolutely gripping.

I know that statement sounds contradictory but it's bloody long and I had to be up early for work this morning.

Will post a review when I've finished it tonight.
This documentary is something else.

I first read about Senna in 1994, in a magazine that was covering WC 94.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Enjoy all sorts of documentaries, particularly the nature ones...BBC put out not one but two epic series for 2012...Must see, must own docs, IMHO...Right up there with Planet Earth in terms of epicness

Frozen Planet with Sir David & EarthFlight...Must see in 1080p