Does Garnacho remind you of Ronaldo?

skc_18

I'm surprised by the number of people who say he's nothing like Ronaldo 05-06 or 06-07. He was very much a flying, goal scoring winger like Garnacho. Obviously the physical profile was different and the style of goals scored is not the same but there are a lot of similarities.

His transition to the Ronaldo we know in 07-08 and beyond was not how he started.
Oh come on.It was between 2005-07 he started improving his all-round game and was more involved with team. On top of his goal contributions, he would attract at least 2-3 players towards him giving space for others. I think those years were last of the dribbling and ball retaining skills of Ronaldo we saw.

I like Garnacho, but I dont think he is at 25% of what Ronaldo was at 05-07.

The Kag

I'm surprised by the number of people who say he's nothing like Ronaldo 05-06 or 06-07. He was very much a flying, goal scoring winger like Garnacho. Obviously the physical profile was different and the style of goals scored is not the same but there are a lot of similarities.

His transition to the Ronaldo we know in 07-08 and beyond was not how he started.
I get it; they're both players that are (were, in Ronaldo's case) very direct, pacy, and have supreme confidence in their own ability. I can see where some people are coming from by comparing the two. I remember Ronaldo's debut against Bolton vividly (I was 15 at the time) and as excited I am for Garnacho as a prospect and thrilled with his contributions thus far, Ronaldo was on a completely different level in terms of technical excellence and just sheer entertainment value despite how frustrating he was at times.

It's also interesting that you should mention 06/07 when in many people's eyes, that was one of his most "complete" seasons as a player.

OL29

Oddly enough I think the United fanbase is more unified in their belief Garnacho will make it, that they were with Ronaldo back then.
I think that’s in part due to seeing the trajectory that Ronaldo went on. He’s used as a reference point for every talented but inconsistent young wide player.

Tyrion

This isn't a messiah thread, more curious if those of you watching us in the early 2000s relate to this.
  • Teenager
  • Insane raw ability
  • Surrounded by an experienced team.
  • Manager trying to keep him in check but clearly excited (without showing it).
  • Left winger, not afraid to run at people, can score a goal.
  • Good players in the team excited by his talent, bad players weary.
  • A bit petulant.
  • Murmurs of excitement and anticipation when he is on the bench.
  • Not the finished product, but clearly could be if he works and bulks over the next 3 years.
Its hard to explain, but when he scored this weekend, the way he totally ignored Weggy, his reaction and his stare in to the crowd, his confidence borderline total arrogance, it just gave me the same feeling as Ronaldo's first season.

IF (and a massive if) he develops the way he can, he 'feels' like a Man Utd 7.

Thoughts?
How are the "bad players weary"? And do you really think he deliberately ignored Wout?

AlPistacho

Nah. I think Garnacho is way more direct and wants to utilise off the ball pace — Ronaldo had a lot more showmanship to his game even from the very start.

Garnacho has more rugged grit to his game.
This. Ronaldo was the imperfect player who became the perfect machine.

Garnacho at 18 is the more effective player. But that could also be because he is played further forward. Ronaldo initially as a left or right winger in a 442 so he was rarely in the same positions as Garnacho until his 3rd season.

Unfortunately the biggest similarity I see with Ronaldo is Real Madrid sniffing around.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not even close besides his willingness to take players on.

I really think you guys forget how unreal a prospect 18 year old CR7 was. Tall, strong for his age, two footed, technically elite, and world class pace. For all his faults at the time he was as ideal of a "raw prospect" as Fergie could ask for to mould.

Garnacho has the searing pace and is good (but not elite) technically, but he's not on that level. Which isn't saying much since almost no teenagers are. Garnacho actually reminds me of Martinelli as far as modern players go.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Ronaldo brought Old Trafford to its feet everytime he got the ball. Which if you think about it was pretty damn difficult when the team had players like Giggs, Scholes, Ruud etc. Garnacho is fantastic and exciting but Ronaldo was different class even at that age.