g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Does Garnacho remind you of Ronaldo?

Yakuza_devils

Nope. Ronaldo was something else. When he played the first game for us the entire world knew that he was going to be a superstar. No doubt about it.

For Garnacho I still can't tell if he can definitely make it to the very high level. It could still go full Januzaj.

For me, Greenwood is still a special talent in recent time. His finishing is out of this world. With the amount of chances we created if he was playing for us we could be comfortably Top 4 or even challenging City.

Tarrou

fearless like Ronaldo at that age

some lads come into a big club and wilt, others look like they’ve been there all along

in terms of style not so much

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's better than Ronaldo was at this age but so were many others, I have high hopes to put it mildly.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The only way he'd remind me of young Ronaldo is if he starts doing 150 stepovers per game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nope.

This is more to do with how he played in the youth team, but I've likened him to Alexis Sanchez. His style of play hasn't fully translated to senior football yet, which is natural, but that's the most similar player I can think of.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Nah. I think Garnacho is way more direct and wants to utilise off the ball pace — Ronaldo had a lot more showmanship to his game even from the very start.

Garnacho has more rugged grit to his game.
This.

Definitely more direct. Young Ronnie would be the love child between Garnashers and Antony.

But what he and 99.999% of other pro players dont have, is the level of focus and singularity to be the best in the world. I highly doubt of Garnny has it in him.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's much more direct than young ronaldo. He makes better runs and has a better finish, with less flair and stepovers.

I'm excited to see how he develops from here. Kid looks like hes a star in the making.

Glorio

A lot more direct than Ronaldo with a lot more end product I feel. Ronaldo on the other hand was a lot more flashy and tricky

big_jeffstar

Such a shame Greenwood did what he did, imagine Garnacho and Greenwood together with Bruno feeding them through balls, they’d score for fun

Son

We seem to get our hands on incredible attacking players in our academy recently. I’ll give the owners credit for improving that since the 00’s.

In the 00’s and 10’s we really didn’t get that much talent coming through really to our first team. The academy recently is saving us a lot of cash on transfers.

It’s pretty evident the Glazers prioritised our academy above anything else either rightly or wrongly.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
I remember Ronaldo’s debut. He was different to what we had seen previously. He was big, fast and his feet were insanely quick. He was doing tricks that you’d only see in 5 a side football. He kept slipping over though and was extremely frustrating at times.

Garnacho is more refined but he’s like many of the technically gifted Spanish (I know he’s Argentinian) players that we’ve seen before.

In short, both were/are good but Ronaldo was a new breed and had a higher ceiling.

paulscholes18

Reminds me more of Franck Ribery, comfortable on both feet, goes past defenders on both the inside and outside looks for a team mate as much as going for the goal himself.

mshnsh

Yes but it was a small group. Who else was hyped to the same degree and was around the same age? Messi, Robben and Rooney. You could maybe make a claim for Quaresma too. At the time Ronaldo was one of the top young players in Europe and the others I mentioned except Quaresma all went on to be great players.

I don't think Garnacho is thought of in the same way. It's not a negative because I think he can become a very good player and is obviously a huge talent I'm just saying I don't think you can compare to Ronaldo at the same age.
Interms of hype, it was Messi/Rooney >> the Ronaldo/iniesta/Quaresma etc group.

Garnacho imo is a similar level of talent (a different type of player) but whether he becomes as successful is another thing.

mshnsh

Yes but it was a small group. Who else was hyped to the same degree and was around the same age? Messi, Robben and Rooney. You could maybe make a claim for Quaresma too. At the time Ronaldo was one of the top young players in Europe and the others I mentioned except Quaresma all went on to be great players.

I don't think Garnacho is thought of in the same way. It's not a negative because I think he can become a very good player and is obviously a huge talent I'm just saying I don't think you can compare to Ronaldo at the same age.
Interms of hype, it was Messi/Rooney >> the Ronaldo/iniesta/Quaresma etc group.

Garnacho imo is a similar level of talent (a different type of player) but whether he becomes as successful is another thing.

Real Name

In the sense of being cocky and sure of himself sure. In the sense of play style not really.

Lj82

Interesting that many people have forgotten how much hype ronaldo had when he debuted for us. Make seem to only remember that he didn't have much end product. But his first season, he had everyone on the edge of their seats and kids trying to copy his move in parks after every match. He we given the no. 7 shirt immediately after becks ffs.

JagUTD

Oddly enough I think the United fanbase is more unified in their belief Garnacho will make it, that they were with Ronaldo back then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Oddly enough I think the United fanbase is more unified in their belief Garnacho will make it, that they were with Ronaldo back then.
I think Garnacho is more well rounded than at an earlier age than CR7 was at 18. At the time, most thought he was a one trick step over pony who was more flash than substance. That obviously changed very quickly. Garnacho seems to have developed a bit quicker but as we've seen with many young players, the splash they make as teenagers isn't usually indicative of how good they eventually become.

Zed 101

No, not really the only comparison I would make is speed, Ronaldo was all tricks, Garnacho is far more direct, if I was to compare to other players, I would say Rashford, maybe Giggs.... TBH reminds me most of Kanchelskis, but obviously the wrong side

Dannn411

Remind me more of Rashford than Ronaldo. Loves to run run run. Can stretch the field wirh his pace and run in behind. Always wants to take his man on when he has the ball and runs into a dead end sometimes as a result.

Young Ronaldo was more of a dribbler and flashy type. With Garnacho, its one dribble and gone (if dribble is successful).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Interesting that many people have forgotten how much hype ronaldo had when he debuted for us. Make seem to only remember that he didn't have much end product. But his first season, he had everyone on the edge of their seats and kids trying to copy his move in parks after every match. He we given the no. 7 shirt immediately after becks ffs.
Its really strange some people seems forgot how hyped he was at that time, young Ronaldo was one of the most entertaining player I've ever watched at that time.

- Man Utd players all came up to Fergie and pleading him to sign this young Ronaldo from Sporting, after just a friendly game. Don't think I have seen anything like that before and after.

- He wants the no.28 Jersey when he first joined us, Fergie insisted on him taking the legendary no.7 shirt instead. So Fergie is actually the first person to hype him up.

- His debut vs Bolton, one of the best debut one could have ever seen. Absolutely electrifying. Only Rooney debut hattricks tops that.

- George Best said its first time ever he actually feel complimented when young Ronaldo was compared to him as new George Best. Think about that, one of the best ever football talent/genius, felt complimented to be compared with young Ronaldo.

- Every kid out there just wants to copy Ronaldo tricks/moves, he was probably the best dribbler in the world after Ronaldinho, before Messi came into the scene. Still remember those wonderful Joga Bonito period when he was playing those freestyle tricks, being so popular all over the TV and internet.

- Definitely the most impressive young player in WC 2006. Its shame it was overshadowed by controversy with Rooney red card incidence.

And then his career really started kicking off and flying high after 2006 WC...

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Its really strange some people seems forgot how hyped he was at that time, young Ronaldo was one of the most entertaining player I've ever watched at that time.

- Man Utd players all came up to Fergie and pleading him to sign this young Ronaldo from Sporting, after just a friendly game. Don't think I have seen anything like that before and after.

- He wants the no.28 Jersey when he first joined us, Fergie insisted on him taking the legendary no.7 shirt instead. So Fergie is actually the first person to hype him up.

- His debut vs Bolton, one of the best debut one could have ever seen. Absolutely electrifying. Only Rooney debut hattricks tops that.

- George Best said its first time ever he actually feel complimented when young Ronaldo was compared to him as new George Best. Think about that, one of the best ever football talent/genius, felt complimented to be compared with young Ronaldo.

- Every kid out there just wants to copy Ronaldo tricks/moves, he was probably the best dribbler in the world after Ronaldinho, before Messi came into the scene. Still remember those wonderful Joga Bonito period when he was playing those freestyle tricks, being so popular all over the TV and internet.

- Definitely the most impressive young player in WC 2006. Its shame it was overshadowed by controversy with Rooney red card incidence.

And then his career really started kicking off and flying high after 2006 WC...
Also nearly won the euro 2004 at a ridiculous young age. Ronaldo became a household name so soon it was unreal.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This isn't a messiah thread, more curious if those of you watching us in the early 2000s relate to this.
  • Teenager
  • Insane raw ability
  • Surrounded by an experienced team.
  • Manager trying to keep him in check but clearly excited (without showing it).
  • Left winger, not afraid to run at people, can score a goal.
  • Good players in the team excited by his talent, bad players weary.
  • A bit petulant.
  • Murmurs of excitement and anticipation when he is on the bench.
  • Not the finished product, but clearly could be if he works and bulks over the next 3 years.
Its hard to explain, but when he scored this weekend, the way he totally ignored Weggy, his reaction and his stare in to the crowd, his confidence borderline total arrogance, it just gave me the same feeling as Ronaldo's first season.

IF (and a massive if) he develops the way he can, he 'feels' like a Man Utd 7.

Thoughts?
He reminds me very much of winger cr7 of 2005/2006

Teja

I'm surprised by the number of people who say he's nothing like Ronaldo 05-06 or 06-07. He was very much a flying, goal scoring winger like Garnacho. Obviously the physical profile was different and the style of goals scored is not the same but there are a lot of similarities.

His transition to the Ronaldo we know in 07-08 and beyond was not how he started.

shamans

Nope. Ronaldo was something else. When he played the first game for us the entire world knew that he was going to be a superstar. No doubt about it.

For Garnacho I still can't tell if he can definitely make it to the very high level. It could still go full Januzaj.

For me, Greenwood is still a special talent in recent time. His finishing is out of this world. With the amount of chances we created if he was playing for us we could be comfortably Top 4 or even challenging City.

Depressing really but I agree with you. Greenwood didn't burst into the scene like Ronaldo but he was one of those players that shock you.

It's like you watch years of football and know the common patterns in your head but then this dude would finish from some tight ridiculous angles and you're just left thinking what the feck kids a star
:(

shamans

I'm surprised by the number of people who say he's nothing like Ronaldo 05-06 or 06-07. He was very much a flying, goal scoring winger like Garnacho. Obviously the physical profile was different and the style of goals scored is not the same but there are a lot of similarities.

His transition to the Ronaldo we know in 07-08 and beyond was not how he started.
I think you misunderstood. Most are saying Ronaldo was not just a pacey winger but full of tricks and has incredible flair. He was a show off and frustrating at times but the world knew this kid can be an absolute super star.

Garnacho is nowhere near that hype or level right now but come on were comparing him to a player thats part of GOAT debates