Does having 'united DNA' matter in management selection? If so, what is it?

Jackal981

All I will say is this....

10 of the last 16 Champions League trophies have been won by managers who played over 100 games for that particular club.

Whatever you want to call it, whether it's culture, style, DNA, philosophy or mindset, understanding the club you are managing and having the respect of fans/players definitely helps.

That doesn't mean just anybody can do it and it doesn't mean you can't find managers from "outside" who perfectly reflect the values and History of your club (i.e. Klopp at Liverpool) but what I would say is, it almost always ends in disaster if you bring in someone who doesn't understand or adhere to the club's principles.
Disagree. The numbers are skewed by Pep and Zidane both freak of natures. It is like saying we should hire bald managers because bald managers won X out of last UCL (pep, zidane, tuchel, anyone else ?) :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Disagree. The numbers are skewed by Pep and Zidane both freak of natures. It is like saying we should hire bald managers because bald managers won X out of last UCL (pep, zidane, tuchel, anyone else ?) :lol:
Or we should sign players with first name as Eric as we had huge success with Eric Cantona.

Then we ended up with Eric Djemba Djemba.

Nicolarra90

Of course it's important.

And it has nothing to do with formation or using wingers or youth.

It's important for any manager to know and get on with the culture of the club.

Mou brought some success but it was always going to fail long term. With Conte would have been the same.

Attacking football, long term and leader manager, mostly class managers and players rather than cnuts, should be what we are looking for since that has been mostly the formula to our success.

Chelsea for example has been the opposite mostly. Speculative football, short term managers, filled of cnuts :lol:. And they are successful that way.

Micky Targaryen

Conte is a negative manager... His team last season were the 3rd highest scorers in the top 5 leagues. His Chelsea team scored 85 goals on their way to the league title which Ole hasn't got anywhere near. Where is this evidence that Ole has promoted positive and attacking style of football?

Where is the evidence that Ole has promoted a family culture around the club? These are just meaningless cliches.. The players have been leaking to journalists all week that they think the coaching and management set up is a shambles, and you want to convince me Ole has instilled a family culture where the players buy into our history and ethos (whatever that means).

Ole's genuinely promoted 1 academy players to the first team in Greenwood in 3 years, which to be fair under other managers he probaby have had to wait longer to get opportunities (or gone on loan), but it's hardly an incredible record he has.

It's pure arrogance to think Tuchel and Conte can win league titles and champions leagues with Chelsea but they're not fit to do so at Manchester United. And that sort of arrogance is one of the reasons why we've been an abject failure for 9 years running.
Agreed 100% especially the bolded part. Absolute arrogance all the way.

Wing Attack Plan R

Of course it's important.

And it has nothing to do with formation or using wingers or youth.

It's important for any manager to know and get on with the culture of the club.

Mou brought some success but it was always going to fail long term. With Conte would have been the same.

Attacking football, long term and leader manager, mostly class managers and players rather than cnuts, should be what we are looking for since that has been mostly the formula to our success.

Chelsea for example has been the opposite mostly. Speculative football, short term managers, filled of cnuts :lol:. And they are successful that way.
I take the opposite view: formation, wingers, and youth are part of United's commitment to playing entertaining football and developing players. United is a working class club that earned its success instead of buying it, and used to be partly owned by the fans and not just vulture capitalists. Chelsea and Man City bought their trophies. Chelsea played ugly football under Mourinho because all that Abramovitch cared about was winning at all costs. Man City actually play attractive football but that's after spending what 4 billion pounds? Both of those clubs stockpile players and with rare exceptions don't bring any players through their academy systems. It happens, but not like it does at United. Now that United is owned by billionaires and lost its way of playing for entertainment, we have lost part of our identity.

As far as United DNA applies to Ole, at least he knows that his job is not only to win, but to win with spectacle. He also learned the ruthless winning mentality preached by Fergie, although it does not appear he has figured out how to instill it in his players. I do think it's important that a United manager steers by those stars. Mourinho was wrong for us, LVG was wrong, and Conte would have been wrong.

Nicolarra90

I take the opposite view: formation, wingers, and youth are part of United's commitment to playing entertaining football and developing players. United is a working class club that earned its success instead of buying it, and used to be partly owned by the fans and not just vulture capitalists. Chelsea and Man City bought their trophies. Chelsea played ugly football under Mourinho because all that Abramovitch cared about was winning at all costs. Man City actually play attractive football but that's after spending what 4 billion pounds? Both of those clubs stockpile players and with rare exceptions don't bring any players through their academy systems. It happens, but not like it does at United. Now that United is owned by billionaires and lost its way of playing for entertainment, we have lost part of our identity.

As far as United DNA applies to Ole, at least he knows that his job is not only to win, but to win with spectacle. He also learned the ruthless winning mentality preached by Fergie, although it does not appear he has figured out how to instill it in his players. I do think it's important that a United manager steers by those stars. Mourinho was wrong for us, LVG was wrong, and Conte would have been wrong.
True, I meant more like it's not as simple as playing with a certain formation, using wingers and youth like many of our fans think.

It's a concept way bigger than that which is just the footballistic part of it.

The united way or DNA is the whole culture of the club.

If we end up replacing Ole It doesn't mean it must be anorher ex player or someone linked to the club, but it means it should be someone who wants to be part of the club, for long, and not just a manager trying to get some trophys for a few years to enlarge his own personal honours. That's not us, that won't work.

ROFLUTION

- Entertaining brand of football.
- Youth/homegrown players
- Players that don't act like dicks, (or at least if they do, they are winners/leaders)

All seems possible for a big club with the right manager/setup.

minoo-utd

First the board should know exactly what is that DNA of our club means. If so they will just bring in a winner and someone who understands football and give support to him not just a yes man to them. Not stick with an absolute clueless manager all this time at a club like this.

Lentwood

I think those two account for 5 of the 10, but why should that disprove the point? If Real Madrid and Barcelona have been successful with ex-players as coaches, why wouldn't other clubs try and replicate the model?

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I am not saying a manager HAS to have represented their club to be a success but we can't dismiss it out of hand as some silly romantic notion when some clubs have been incredibly successful with it

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
First the board should know exactly what is that DNA of our club means. If so they will just bring in a winner and someone who understands football and give support to him not just a yes man to them. Not stick with an absolute clueless manager all this time at a club like this.
This whole United-DNA thing should be and in fact has been confined to history.

In 2013 Mourinho should have been installed in the managers post - but apparently, he wasn't the right fit for Sir Alex* and Sir Bobby.

Fair enough - that was an example of the manager having to have United-DNA in his veins. But as we all know, Mourinho did eventually end up at Utd. after Moyes and LvG so the whole United-DNA thing went out of the window. Unfortunately, it was a past-his-sell-by-date Mourinho, not peak Mourinho and I always said at the time, alarm bells should have rung when he lived in a Hotel the whole time. I know he had a whole apartment their and he liked the situation, but on his wages he could have got somewhere more discreet and hired staff for food prep etc. Living as he did, at the Marriot just screamed 'look at me, look at me' and nobody should be bigger than the club, not even the board or a certain person, on the board, who is still making bad decisions and supporting ex-legends from his time, to the detriment of Manchester united.

*Conspiracy theorists may also believe SAF didn't want him in case he was even bigger than he was....

Reactions: Sultan

Tarrou

personally i think all this United DNA and The United Way stuff is basically meaningless

we had an identity under Fergie but he left and that's in the past

DickDastardly

Let's play that ONE WORD game.

You wanna know what "United DNA" is?

One word - WINNING.

So, why don't we make that simple, hire a manager who's good at that one thing. How he does it? What xG does he have? 3 at the back?
See if i care. Just win. Whatever it takes. That's the United DNA.

frostbite

Ole won two championships and a cup with Molde. It is not much, but still ... it is more than what the rest of our boys have produced as managers!

How many of our former players tried to become managers? A dozen? Two dozens? More?The Nevilles, Bruce, Robson, Hughes, Phelan, Ince, Giggs, Keane ... all with United DNA. How many trophies have they won as managers?

(Actually the most successful manager out of our former players is probably Laurent Blanc! )

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
United DNA. This is a post-success concept. It is very arrogant to talk about Utd's DNA. There is no DNA. There is a group of people who create success at a moment in time.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Does it involve letting City come to Old Trafford and have 75% possession after 20 minutes?

SlothIsLove

The only thing this "United DNA" contains should be winning trophies, nothing else.

The long term stuff is ridiculous. I'd rather changing managers every year as long as we play good football and winning stuffs, rather than sticking with a mediocre manager for years.

diarm

Rhodri Giggs' wife is covered in United DNA by all accounts.

Should we hire her as manager?

Seij

An incredible amount of nepotism has led us to where we are.

Eddy Woody the banker is given complete charge of one of the biggest football clubs in the world because he helped his buddies Glazers sneak their way into the takeover while pushing hundreds of millions of debt onto the club.

Ole can't get sacked because he has "United DNA" and has mates in the media and the board despite the fact that he is unlikely to be hired by a bottom club premier league team.

I don't know what exactly Carrick does but he got promoted with no experience and has now been a first team coach for two failed managerial regimes. Apparently about to get a new contract.

Kieran McKenna replaces Rui Faria as Mourinho's assistant manager, promoted from U18, and keeps his job under Ole.

Darren Fletcher is appointed as Carrick's fellow first team coach, again coming with zero experience. A year later, he is now the technical director.

Eric Ramsay gets appointed as the set-piece coach. He comes with a plethora of experience having been Chelsea's U23 assistant coach. He also received a glowing recommendation from McKenna who was his college mate. We are the only club in the league without a set-piece goal despite having Cristiano fecking Ronaldo.

Get Giggsey in here next. Rio and Gary are after that. Mates FC.

Last edited: