Does it actually matter if we don't get into the Champions League?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The fact is, from the owners point of view this club is all about making money, what happens on the pitch is at best secondary to them. I'd bet the Glazers don't even watch all of our games.

In the short term the club have probably calculated that the money lost from the CL isn't a big issue, especially with the bump in PL income from next year. Hence no immediate sacking of LVG.

The effect of CL on attracting players is over stated, otherwise why don't they all go play for Celtic? The vast majority of the time they'll go to the club paying them the most, with location being the other big factor.

We'll feel the effect long term as our relative fan base get smaller and the income follows. Who will new young fans be supporting based on watching PL this season? I'll guarantee it won't be us.

Whiteside1985

I worry a lot that not getting into the Champions League could start a downward spiral. I think it is vital.
Less able to attract the calibre of player we need to improve.
Liverpool are something of a cautionary tale for us......

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yeah it's consecutive seasons, it gets cut 30% so £22m. Adidas can also cancel it if we get relegated :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28581355
A good clause to put in because you never know. Inter and AC maybe have escaped the hammer but Juventus didn't. You can never fully trusts these capitalists to follow monetary rules. that sounded a lot more communistic than I wanted

Lyricist

Does it actually matter if we never win another trophy?

/thread

With the money United are getting it won't make a huge financial difference probably. Didn't Barca actually lose money a couple of years ago when they won the CL because they had to pay so many bonuses to their players? Obviously though the point of CL football shouldn't just be the money. It's about competing on the biggest stage against the likes of Real and so on, being there for the whole world to see, and aiming for the crown of European football. That's where United belongs, the biggest stage, and not being in the CL in 2 of 3 years should be unacceptable for a club like United. Add to that the fact that this season's CL campaign saw United get 3rd in a group with CSKA, PSV, and Wolfsburg. If United wants to continue being global they should probably stop fecking up on the biggest stage or completely missing out on it rather sooner than later!! Eventually if the trend continues the fanboys from the far corners of the earth are going to forget about United if they don't stay successful. Liverpool for example are a small club now if you look at it from a global perspective. So unless you want United going down in the ranking for marketability and thus losing its spot as the most famous and renowned English club, you should hope United turns it around fairly quickly.

Now this is of course some doomsday prophecy but it's a simplified version of why CL is important.

Last edited:

walkinhop

Embarrassing that people consider this acceptable and normal now.
I personally don't think it is normal at all. This being said, i believe we have a bigger problem than the league position, bigger than the manager. The way the club is being run is not great at all. It doesn't seem to me like we have an idea of how to proceed, how to run a club of this size. Transfers are handled badly, we overpay, we don't do our business early, we have not plan B in case the coach fails...the issues just seem much scarier than a season out of CL.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I personally don't think it is normal at all. This being said, i believe we have a bigger problem than the league position, bigger than the manager. The way the club is being run is not great at all. It doesn't seem to me like we have an idea of how to proceed, how to run a club of this size. Transfers are handled badly, we overpay, we don't do our business early, we have not plan B in case the coach fails...the issues just seem much scarier than a season out of CL.
Very true. Ineptness everywhere.