Does it actually matter if we don't get into the Champions League?

Oneunited26

Whichever way you look at it, being out of the CL two out of three seasons isn't good and it would prevent us from making certain signings. Like a couple of seasons ago van Gaal namedropped Sanchez as a player he'd like but Arsenal being in London and having the CL made them infinitely more attractive
VG wasted our summer last year, let me rephrase that he undone everything set up going into the new season, we had no international tournaments, CL football, free range of transfer activity, and he has wasted and undone everything we were looking to build upon. Now its a long road ahead to rebuild

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Dont care to be fair, we wont challenge for the CL under LvG and we will hardly get out of the group stages so what's the point? Just a few more embarassments midway as well? LvG was free to do anything to get top 4 and qualify last year, can anybody say that was worth it by getting beaten to PSV, Wolfsburg, drawing CSKA, PSV? Its completely pointless.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Since when has football become all about the money even for fans? I want to see us play against the top European teams, we need CL football for that.
Exactly.

Cannot believe what I'm reading in here.

We're meant to be up there with the likes of Madrid, Barca and Bayern, remember.

We may miss out this year, but if we continue to do so within the next 5 years we can forget about this 'biggest club in the world' ego bullshit.

We're in such huge danger of becoming a falling giant like Milan and Liverpool.

Missing out this year may not hit us hard on the pocket, but who gives a shit? That's for the guys in suits to deal with, not us.

I want to see us play on Tuesday and Wendnesday nights against the Europes best.

Drifter

American
Of course it matters.Mainly for a financial boost than anything else.

Devil may care

Yes, the prestige and the need to buy quality players means being out of the CL 2 out of the last 3 seasons will be a big blow for the club. Plus when you start accepting mediocrity you become mediocre.

goin4glory

If it damages us so much, why is the board seemingly gripped by decision making paralysis. Make no mistake, if things stay as they are, we won't get top four. In that context, you'd think VG would be gone by now, yet he seems totally secure. I can only conclude that the club is prepared to miss out on the CL.
They stuck with Moyes until it was mathematically impossible for us to qualify for the CL.

Varun

Staff
Fans wondering if being able to play against the top European teams matter as long as the club makes enough money through other sources. This place surprises me at times.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
I am at pains to say that the OP doesn't reflect my opinion. I'm merely trying to understand the decision making process of the board. At any other club of similar stature to us, the manager would be gone by now. We're gripped by this pathetic sense of romanticism and it's causing grave harm. It's the reason we appointed Moyes, it's the reason we don't want to sack Van Gaal and it's the reason we'll make the terminal error of giving it to Giggs down the line.

This is really simple stuff when you look at it in the cold light of day - get Mourinho.
Ah, good for you! :D Not the pain but that this doesn't reflect your opinion. Obviously, we all don't know why your borad acts the way it does. However, what would you do if you have no manager (or head coach) lined up you entrust to take over and make an impact right away? I can be entirely wrong but to me it doesn't suggest at all that your board thinks Giggs is the solution to your problems. Otherwise they would have sacked LvG for some time now and put him in charge.

I'm aware that it was and is an entirely different case but Chelsea was in a way lucky: They could give José the sack and let Hiddinck take over for the remainder of the season; an experienced manager with no ambition to stay beyond the season and who knows the club. SAF would be your Hiddinck, I guess, but I doubt he'll do this to himself.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Being in the biggest competition on the planet is a little important if you want to consider yourself or be considered a top club, I'd imagine.

More importantly, there's big money in the CL. Forget that we already have money, imagine what being in the CL would do for a club like Spurs and the players they would then attract. We are worse than them right now, do we want that gap to increase?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Let's be honest, our commercial operation is such that a season out of the completion won't make a real difference.

Heck, we crashed out at the group stage this season anyway, so I can't imagine it'll have been that much of a cash cow.

With the mega TV deal coming into effect next season, we won't be short of a bob or two, although, granted, that applies to the rest of the league too.

I'd say the reason Van Gaal is being extended so much patience is that we don't *need* CL football in the short term.

Does anyone agree with this?
I find this depressing in the extreme. Is our bank balance now more important than the football?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If you want to sign elite sponsorship deals then you need to be an elite club, and elite clubs play in the Champions league.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It's pretty shit, you get about €10m for winning it in prize money. That doesn't include market pool which would be worth an extra few million for United. We would probably earn more in ticket sales than from the competition itself.
Thats about 6-7 mil pounds.

Very poor from Uefa. They should increase it, and maybe clubs will take more seriously.

K2K

The business is successful because of on field success, without it, the club will ultimately have less sponsors and each of them will offer less money, the model that you are describing isn't viable unless you do a Real Madrid, sign galacticos and actually compete in the best competitions, winning isn't important but competing is crucial.
In the long term, it wont. But in the short term , its creating significant return.

Woody seems to be obsessed with a Marquee signing, and most likely has to do with marketing the club. If we can consistently finish in the UCL, even without winning it and premiership top 4, we can make a killing.

I think it was you that quoted the French chairman that said it was better to finish 2nd than 1st. Less bonuses to pay, high prize money. From a business perspective, that works.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Does football matter? Not really.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
we will find scrapping the bottom in terms of finding the manager we need to replace LVG

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not really concerned about being in the CL when we can't even qualify for the knockout stages.

The focus should be to do well enough in the league, and use that as a platform to tweak in European competition (CL or Europa). Not some dick measuring contest where the annoying "we need to be with Real, Bayern and Barca" is constantly regurgitated

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
The CL is of great importance on many levels we need to be in it. We need to replace LVG as soon as possible because of 2 reasons, 1. He is only short term, and could leave at the end of the season. 2. His style of football is boring to the extreme, and up to now there has been no improvement. With City getting Guardiola, we need to act fast even if it is Mourinho. Giggs needs to try his managing elsewhere to enable us to se if he is in fact any good at it or not.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes it does matter, and these type of threads just prove that we, as a club, are now starting to settle for mediocrity.

We are an elite club. Arguably the biggest club in the world. The Champions League is an elite competition, meaning we should be always aiming to be win it, nevermind just getting into it.

The fact that we're currently out of it, and could possibly not qualify for next year is bs. Bayern, Barca or Madrid wouldnt settle for it, so why should we?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In the long term, it wont. But in the short term , its creating significant return.

Woody seems to be obsessed with a Marquee signing, and most likely has to do with marketing the club. If we can consistently finish in the UCL, even without winning it and premiership top 4, we can make a killing.

I think it was you that quoted the French chairman that said it was better to finish 2nd than 1st. Less bonuses to pay, high prize money. From a business perspective, that works.
Like I said it works if you are competing. You need to be second, you need to be close to finals, you need to play CL and go beyond the group stage. Otherwise you end up like Liverpool, with enough money to "survive", but not enough money for the owners to really make money, not enough money to purchase the best players, not enough credibility to convince upcoming stars.
The bare minimum is Arsenal, with CL participation and knockout stage reached year in year out. Not being a regular CL team will only be survivable if the club decides to drastically reduce the expenses and officially become a EL team (Tottenham).

But I'm talking about mid to long term, not short term. On the short term it's going to hurt us because the pool of quality players is very limited and they will almost always have the choice between clubs as rich or more competitive than United.

K2K

Like I said it works if you are competing. You need to be second, you need to be close to finals, you need to play CL and go beyond the group stage. Otherwise you end up like Liverpool, with enough money to "survive", but not enough money for the owners to really make money, not enough money to purchase the best players, not enough credibility to convince upcoming stars.
The bare minimum is Arsenal, with CL participation and knockout stage reached year in year out. Not being a regular CL team will only be survivable if the club decides to drastically reduce the expenses and officially become a EL team (Tottenham).

But I'm talking about mid to long term, not short term. On the short term it's going to hurt us because the pool of quality players is very limited and they will almost always have the choice between clubs as rich or more competitive than United.
Purely from a financial perspective, it's a bit of a conundrum.

You need to spend to get to the top and generally qualify for the UCL and finish in the top 3, unless you have a genius manager like Wenger. But spending doesnt guarantee success as the Glazers have now realized. So the question would be lowering spending, thus reducing net investment and meaning that percentage return is higher?

I think the board(especially those in charge of finances would be comfortable with an Arsenal, just top 3/4 and UCL revenues) . Still allows us to milk our marketing reach which many clubs simply cant match, success or not,and keep our place within the upper echelon table, but just generate enough return.

Problem is that the fans want more. But as we saw with Arsenal, no one takes seriously. They are too bound by their love for the club to do anything else.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Should we not be a club trying to win the Champions League? What on earth are some fans coming out with these days?

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Not really concerned about being in the CL when we can't even qualify for the knockout stages.

The focus should be to do well enough in the league, and use that as a platform to tweak in European competition (CL or Europa). Not some dick measuring contest where the annoying "we need to be with Real, Bayern and Barca" is constantly regurgitated
As I've already mentioned before on the forum (and on the pod), our coefficient is so poor now that even if we quality we'll be in pot 3 probably, due to our own poor performances and UEFA's new seeding system. We'll be given the sort of group City used to get when they first entered the Champions League.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I can't imagine not being in the CL not mattering... Heck, I don't give a shit about the financial concerns of my club yet am always extremely disappointed when we're out of the CL, be it due to being eliminated in the competition or not qualifying. It's the best football competition in the world and you always dream of winning it - except when you're not in it.

Might as well say winning the league doesn't matter as you make enough revenue coming 2nd or 3rd anyway... Ridiculous principle.

Trizy

Well we have no chance of winning it but we still need it.

CL = more money and highly level of players interested.

Djemba-Djemba

The decline already feels pretty terminal now so in that sense it probably doesn't make much difference.

If the plan is to keep Van Gaal until the Summer and then give it Giggs then it really is all over.

fallengt

In short term maybe not but in long term, definitely will matter.
The major reason United is so famous in Asia and America because of '99 treble .

Sb_16

I'd say the reason Van Gaal is being extended so much patience is that we don't *need* CL football in the short term.

Does anyone agree with this?
No, but I agree that one can't think straight with an empty stomach.
We fecking need that CL spot for the short and long term future. Imagine falling away into pot 3 or 4. Imagine losing out on targets to domestic rivals because CL appeals to them. We aren't winning the EL or making a serious challenge in it to help our coefficient either.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Look when you start thinking like that, then you are asking to go backwards. We've gone backwards far enough.

Spock

For Manchester United, missing out on the CL again and becoming a midtable club would be very bad thing. At least from a supporter's point of view. From the point of view of Van Gaal and whoever thinks he's been doing a great job this season, perhaps not.

I can't even get my head around the question.

RedMilo

It does matter, MUFC need to be playing Champions League football, its unacceptable the brand of football being served up by our great club but to spend £200m+ over the last 18 months, have that style of football served up & likely miss out on Europe's premier competition is a joke quite frankly. The club is in good shape commercially but its naive to think that will last with how things are on the football side.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
No, but I agree that one can't think straight with an empty stomach.
We fecking need that CL spot for the short and long term future. Imagine falling away into pot 3 or 4. Imagine losing out on targets to domestic rivals because CL appeals to them. We aren't winning the EL or making a serious challenge in it to help our coefficient either.
I'm not saying it's my view. Just speculating as to what the hell the board is thinking.