g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Domestic Dominance around Europe

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The EPl is as prestigious as the Cl BUT in terms of viewer ship (money drawing), the EPL draws larger numbers world wide than the Cl therefore more money.
For anyone who watches football the EPL is definitely not more important than the Champions League. Unless we are discussing revenues, marketing or something else.

gibers

For anyone who watches football the EPL is definitely not more important than the Champions League. Unless we are discussing revenues, marketing or something else.
Viewer ship is what gives companies the confidence to invest heavily in football deals, therefore the revenue, therefore the money.

And to be honest, over here noone really cared about the cl like they did on the continent. Which is why teams celebrate the EPL and none of the other teams fans care when they win their league.

people here wont admit it but in England at some point the EPL was more regarded than the cl until recently.

EPL draws in more viewers than any other footballing event on average world wide, including the cl.

redshaw

I feel could make it more even all around and not allow the rich clubs to go so far ahead.

When I think about it as the years go by it shows how Leicester City had the greatest achievement in EPL history doing what they did in modern football.

Like I said its stupid how clubs who just get promoted have more money then clubs who are 10x there size that play in a different league.
You should look at the point of the thread which I think is about respective leagues.

Comes across like sour grapes with you moaning about what English promoted clubs get. You should be looking at your own league and trying to change it, just like the Italians looking at their league. Juve running away with it and the Spanish duopoly has nothing to do with what Sheffield United are getting next season.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You should look at the point of the thread which I think is about respective leagues.

Comes across like sour grapes with you moaning about what English promoted clubs get. You should be looking at your own league and trying to change it, just like the Italians looking at their league. Juve running away with it and the Spanish duopoly has nothing to do with what Sheffield United are getting next season.
It was more so to show how the money in football is just outrageous.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
As everyone knows is all about money…..

I think that there's the need of having back the old football with more resiliency, loyalty and membership by footballers instead of all these mercenaries. The only rule that could help is a limit of playing foreigners in each country for each team (3 maximum) and giving more space to the youngsters from the respective academies.

Bored of this modern football with no identity, its business over passion.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Viewer ship is what gives companies the confidence to invest heavily in football deals, therefore the revenue, therefore the money.

And to be honest, over here noone really cared about the cl like they did on the continent. Which is why teams celebrate the EPL and none of the other teams fans care when they win their league.

people here wont admit it but in England at some point the EPL was more regarded than the cl until recently.

EPL draws in more viewers than any other footballing event on average world wide, including the cl.
Again I am not basing my opinion on what the people who live there feel. It never was and never will be more important.

gibers

Again I am not basing my opinion on what the people who live there feel. It never was and never will be more important.
We are talking about money here and viewer ship brings money. EPL dwarfs any other league and competitions in terms of numbers so they earn almost more money than the other top 5 leagues combined.

Importance means zilch if it isn't pulling the numbers. This is why I think the EPL teams will be reluctant to forgo that guaranteed EPL money. Too much of a risk imo.

Nanook

The EPl is as prestigious as the Cl BUT in terms of viewer ship (money drawing), the EPL draws larger numbers world wide than the Cl therefore more money.
Only because 1. There’s way more Premier League games than CL and 2. CL games get shifted to Tuesday/Wednesday.

A European Super League with 380 games per season played on the weekends would make far more money than what the PL currently makes.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I started a thread regarding this a few months ago and yes... It is bad and, given how capitalism works, will not get any better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Italy, Spain and France at least should work on creating a "Latin League" anyways imho. At this point they kind of need to
I would like that even though midtable clubs would probably suffer from it. We should also go back to our sugar daddy ways, especially France and Italy.:D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not on its own.

Other sports have shown that this status quo of extreme inequality driven by wealth can be changed.
It only works if you are in the same league.

Josep Dowling

I feel could make it more even all around and not allow the rich clubs to go so far ahead.

When I think about it as the years go by it shows how Leicester City had the greatest achievement in EPL history doing what they did in modern football.

Like I said its stupid how clubs who just get promoted have more money then clubs who are 10x there size that play in a different league.
How do you come to that conclusion. The richer club will just have more money to spend in the transfer window. In our case the profit from capping salaries will just line the pockets of the already rich owners. It’s not like they would think ‘let’s reduce ticket prices for the fans’.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
Probably a lot more of the same in some other smaller countries.
Here in Austria: Red Bull Salzburg 6 titles in a row, 10 out of last 13.
In Norway Rosenborg (RBK) have won the last four in a row. They've been the dominant team for decades, winning 21/29 since 1990 and finishing outside the top 3 only thrice in that time.

A lot of people are happy that they're currently sitting 15th out of 16 teams 1/4 through the season (Norway plays March --> November because of cold climate in winter time).

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We are talking about money here and viewer ship brings money. EPL dwarfs any other league and competitions in terms of numbers so they earn almost more money than the other top 5 leagues combined.

Importance means zilch if it isn't pulling the numbers. This is why I think the EPL teams will be reluctant to forgo that guaranteed EPL money. Too much of a risk imo.
I am against the Super League. But I struggle to see everything discussed around marketing or revenues, although it matters to hire top coaches and players.

binary bot
Putting a cap on loans and banning buyback clauses would be a small but positive change.

Football will never vote for wage caps, so the alternative is restricting the ability of the big clubs to hoover up talent.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Looking at City about to complete the first (male) domestic treble in England and being the first team to retain the League in 10 years got me thinking about just how much the leagues are dominated around Europe currently.

England: Man City, 2 in a row. Domestic treble this year.
Spain: Barcelona, 3 from the last 4 league titles. 7 from the last 10.
Italy: Juventus, 8 in a row.
Germany: Bayern, 7 in a row.
France: PSG, 6 from the last 7.
Portugal: Benfica, 4 from the last 5. Likely to be 5 from the last 6 in a few hours.
Scotland: Celtic, 8 in a row and likely in perpetuity from this point.

Netherlands seems competitive though with Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord each winning one of the last 3 Eredivisie titles.

But mostly it all seems a bit dull and predictable around the continent.
While for City and PSG the biggest factor is undoubtedly money, we like to paint the rest of the teams with the brush but that is simply not true. I think for Juve and Bayern, you have to credit them for building a brilliant squad over the past decade with fantastic, cheap signings, and having a base of youth players to build upon.

For Bayern, they assembled arguably their greatest ever squad which cost a total of just around 150 MP. They had a batch of youth players like Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Alaba and Muller and then topped the team with cheap signings of players who were undervalued but then became legendary players such as Boateng for just 13 MP and Robben for 23 MP. Both of them were talented players who were not rated highly anymore but Bayern took the risk and they ended up being the best in their positions. Ofcourse, they benefited greatly from signing Lewandowski for free from Dortmund but that was simply a consequence of their previously smart recruitment, which put them in a position of such dominance that other domestic players preferred to play for them.

For Juve, remember they finished 7th the season before they won their first title of this run. So what drastically changed from one season that Juve were able to go from being outside the European spot to becoming not only champions but dominating their league? They did spend ravish amounts of money to bring the best players in Italy? No, if you look at their most influential signings from that summer they were a has-been Pirlo for free, Vidal for 11.5 MP and Liechesteiner for 9 MP. Then you add signing Pogba for almost nothing the season after and again you have the seeds for a dynasty sowed.

I don't follow Scotland or Portugal enough to comment on them but for Italy and Germany, it was a case of two teams building once in a generation squads from shrewd business and fantastic youth products, along with their competitors making poor signings, which lead them to dominate. City and PSG though have come purely from their ability to be able to spend more than their competitors, few of the signings, or volume of signings, they were able to make prior to their period of dominance their rivals would have been able to, which is the reason for their success.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Russian league is doing well in terms of internal competitiveness. This is the 4th season with a different champion, there is a genuine top 5 who are all on a very similar level and most sides in the league outside the bottom 2 or 3 have a realistic chance of a win against anyone else every week.

Incompetence across the board can have its occasional advantages. Zenit with their gazprom backing should really have been dominant over the past decade or so, but have managed to fall far short of even becoming a poor version of PSG.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The only way i can get behind this would be if there is a promotion relegation type thing introduced.

Here in Ireland, non professional rugby is done like this:

All Ireland league (AIL)

4 leagues below that split by province.

Bottom of the AIL is automatically relegated to their respective province with top of that province going up in their place.

2nd from bottom ail then play a round Robin with the first place teams in the other 3 provinces.

Something like that would need introduced for the 5 big leagues... england spain Italy Germany France.

Start with the top 4 of each league. After the season is over, bottom 2 get automatically relegated in replace of the top team in their respective countries. 3rd from bottom go into a playoff round robin with 1st from the other 3 countries to see who goes down.

It cannot just be 10 or 20 richest teams in the world
That idea seems good, like the one of @giorno ,with bigger leagues.
The issue is that it would be very difficult to implement, and we would have to see how to maintain interest in the "local" leagues beyond the struggle for promotion.
The EPl teams wont join the super league. Makes no sense financially. The super league wont even generate the same money as the EPL as EPL money dwarfs all the other leagues by a distance and if they dominate the cl next season...
I do not know but a United-Madrid, PSG-Barcelona, Liverpool-Milan every weekend seems impressive.
I guess the tv's would adapt.
PL could be alone if we still had C.L or a similar K.O competition but I guess the superleague would have a 2d phase including K.O.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
One word. Money. iT RUINED FOOTBALL and it only benefits the rich. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Wasnt so bad. Without money the epl would be exactly like a championship level leagur where everyone is around the same level.

I'd enjoy a 3-4 strong team in a league. If money is involved so be it. It's only entertainment and in a league of 20 teams there's bound to be natural selection someway somehow.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
City are the richest team in England
Real and Barca are the richest teams in Spain
Juve are the richest team in Italy
Bayern are the richest team in Germany
PSG are the richest team in France
Celtic are the richest team in Scotland

Money buys titles, who knew?

There's a reason why the PL remains the most entertaining, unpredictable league in the world.
The PL hasn't been entertaining or unpredictable since Leicester. Last season was one of the dullest ever. Only Liverpool having a all time great season (still not enough) stopped it from being even duller this year.

Bobski

The top teams can create stacked squads full of players on their benches who should be raising the level of lower teams. Tops teams as a group have never had the depth of this decade, creates legions of cannon fodder in leagues and leads to all these bloated records, both for individuals and teams.